Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: VAC8
Description: protein anchor VAC8
Alias: YEB3, protein anchor VAC8
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- John Peter A, Lachmann J, Rana M, Bunge M, Cabrera M, Ungermann C. The BLOC-1 complex promotes endosomal maturation by recruiting the Rab5 GTPase-activating protein Msb3. J Cell Biol. 2013;201:97-111 pubmed publisher..We thus conclude that BLOC-1 controls the lifetime of active Rab5/Vps21 and thus endosomal maturation along the endocytic pathway. ..
- Yorimitsu T, He C, Wang K, Klionsky D. Tap42-associated protein phosphatase type 2A negatively regulates induction of autophagy. Autophagy. 2009;5:616-24 pubmed..Furthermore, inactivation of PP2A stimulated autophagy and overexpression of a catalytic subunit of PP2A blocked rapamycin-induced autophagy. Our data support a model in which autophagy is negatively regulated by the Tap42-PP2A pathway. ..
- Peng Y, Tang F, Weisman L. Palmitoylation plays a role in targeting Vac8p to specific membrane subdomains. Traffic. 2006;7:1378-87 pubmed..In addition, our studies provide evidence that palmitoylation targets Vac8p to specific membrane subdomains. ..
- Maeda Y, Oku M, Sakai Y. A defect of the vacuolar putative lipase Atg15 accelerates degradation of lipid droplets through lipolysis. Autophagy. 2015;11:1247-58 pubmed publisher..Our data provide evidence for a novel link between autophagic flux and LD dynamics integrated with Atg15 activity. ..
- Umekawa M, Klionsky D. Ksp1 kinase regulates autophagy via the target of rapamycin complex 1 (TORC1) pathway. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:16300-10 pubmed publisher..Our study therefore identifies Ksp1 as a new component that functions as part of the PKA and TORC1 signaling network to control the magnitude of autophagy. ..
- Xu H, Wickner W. Bem1p is a positive regulator of the homotypic fusion of yeast vacuoles. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:27158-66 pubmed..2005) Genes Dev. 19, 2606-2618), we did not find phosphorylation of Bem1p at Ser-72 to be required for Bem1p-stimulated fusion. Taken together, Bem1p is a positive regulator of lipid mixing during vacuole hemifusion and fusion. ..
- Tang F, Peng Y, Nau J, Kauffman E, Weisman L. Vac8p, an armadillo repeat protein, coordinates vacuole inheritance with multiple vacuolar processes. Traffic. 2006;7:1368-77 pubmed..These findings suggest that a major role of Vac8p is to spatially separate multiple functions thereby enabling vacuole inheritance to occur concurrently with other vacuolar processes. ..
- Cheong H, Yorimitsu T, Reggiori F, Legakis J, Wang C, Klionsky D. Atg17 regulates the magnitude of the autophagic response. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:3438-53 pubmed..As a result, it is defective in peroxisome degradation and is partially defective for autophagy. Atg17 interacts with both Atg1 and Atg13, via two coiled-coil domains, and these interactions facilitate its inclusion in the Atg1 complex. ..
- Dietrich L, Ungermann C. On the mechanism of protein palmitoylation. EMBO Rep. 2004;5:1053-7 pubmed..Recently, we discovered that Ykt6 mediates the amino-terminal acylation of the fusion protein Vac8. Even though these three proteins differ in sequence, topology, size and substrate specificity, they might function ..
- Lopreiato R, Facchin S, Sartori G, Arrigoni G, Casonato S, Ruzzene M, et al. Analysis of the interaction between piD261/Bud32, an evolutionarily conserved protein kinase of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, and the Grx4 glutaredoxin. Biochem J. 2004;377:395-405 pubmed..The functional significance of the interaction between Bud32 and the putative protease Ykr038/Kae1 is supported by its evolutionary conservation. ..
- Scott S, Nice D, Nau J, Weisman L, Kamada Y, Keizer Gunnink I, et al. Apg13p and Vac8p are part of a complex of phosphoproteins that are required for cytoplasm to vacuole targeting. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:25840-9 pubmed..The Vac8 and Apg13 proteins are required for the import of aminopeptidase I (API) through the Cvt pathway...
- Subramanian K, Dietrich L, Hou H, LaGrassa T, Meiringer C, Ungermann C. Palmitoylation determines the function of Vac8 at the yeast vacuole. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:2477-85 pubmed..The yeast protein Vac8 is required for efficient vacuole fusion, inheritance and cytosol-to-vacuole trafficking...
- Tang F, Kauffman E, Novak J, Nau J, Catlett N, Weisman L. Regulated degradation of a class V myosin receptor directs movement of the yeast vacuole. Nature. 2003;422:87-92 pubmed..Thus the regulated disruption of this transport complex places the vacuole in its proper location. This may be a general mechanism whereby organelles are deposited at their terminal destination. ..
- Kraft C, Kijanska M, Kalie E, Siergiejuk E, Lee S, Semplicio G, et al. Binding of the Atg1/ULK1 kinase to the ubiquitin-like protein Atg8 regulates autophagy. EMBO J. 2012;31:3691-703 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings define a conserved step in autophagy regulation in yeast and mammals and expand the known functions of LIR-dependent Atg8 targets to include spatial regulation of the Atg1/ULK1 kinase. ..
- Zurita Martinez S, Puria R, Pan X, Boeke J, Cardenas M. Efficient Tor signaling requires a functional class C Vps protein complex in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2007;176:2139-50 pubmed
- Tang F, Watkins J, Bermudez M, Gray R, Gaban A, Portie K, et al. A life-span extending form of autophagy employs the vacuole-vacuole fusion machinery. Autophagy. 2008;4:874-86 pubmed..Pending future biochemical studies, the concept of secretophagy may provide a mechanism for autophagy in life-span extension. ..
- Nadolski M, Linder M. Molecular recognition of the palmitoylation substrate Vac8 by its palmitoyltransferase Pfa3. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:17720-30 pubmed publisherPalmitoylation of the yeast vacuolar protein Vac8 is important for its role in membrane-mediated events such as vacuole fusion...
- Hou H, John Peter A, Meiringer C, Subramanian K, Ungermann C. Analysis of DHHC acyltransferases implies overlapping substrate specificity and a two-step reaction mechanism. Traffic. 2009;10:1061-73 pubmed publisher..For Pfa3 and its substrate Vac8, we can distinguish two consecutive steps in the acylation reaction: an initial binding that occurs independently ..
- Roberts P, Moshitch Moshkovitz S, Kvam E, O TOOLE E, Winey M, Goldfarb D. Piecemeal microautophagy of nucleus in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:129-41 pubmed..These results introduce a novel mode of selective microautophagy that targets nonessential components of the yeast nucleus for degradation and recycling in the vacuole. ..
- Hou H, Subramanian K, LaGrassa T, Markgraf D, Dietrich L, Urban J, et al. The DHHC protein Pfa3 affects vacuole-associated palmitoylation of the fusion factor Vac8. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:17366-71 pubmed..At least three palmitoylated proteins are found exclusively on yeast vacuoles: the fusion factor Vac8, the kinase Yck3, and a novel adaptor protein implicated in microautophagy, Meh1...
- Smotrys J, Schoenfish M, Stutz M, Linder M. The vacuolar DHHC-CRD protein Pfa3p is a protein acyltransferase for Vac8p. J Cell Biol. 2005;170:1091-9 pubmed..Vac8p is the first N-myristoylated, palmitoylated protein identified as a substrate for a DHHC-CRD protein. ..
- Dietrich L, LaGrassa T, Rohde J, Cristodero M, Meiringer C, Ungermann C. ATP-independent control of Vac8 palmitoylation by a SNARE subcomplex on yeast vacuoles. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:15348-55 pubmedYeast vacuole fusion requires palmitoylated Vac8. We previously showed that Vac8 acylation occurs early in the fusion reaction, is blocked by antibodies against Sec18 (yeast N-ethylmaleimide-sensitive fusion protein (NSF)), and is ..