Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ULP1
Description: SUMO protease ULP1
Alias: NIB1, SUMO protease ULP1
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Li S, Hochstrasser M. The yeast ULP2 (SMT4) gene encodes a novel protease specific for the ubiquitin-like Smt3 protein. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:2367-77 pubmed..Ulp2, specific Smt3-protein conjugates accumulate, and the conjugate pattern is distinct from that observed in a ulp1(ts) strain, which is defective for a distantly related Smt3-specific protease, Ulp1...
- Li S, Hochstrasser M. A new protease required for cell-cycle progression in yeast. Nature. 1999;398:246-51 pubmed..Here we describe a yeast Ubl-specific protease, Ulp1, which cleaves proteins from Smt3 and SUMO-1 but not from ubiquitin...
- Ihara M, Koyama H, Uchimura Y, Saitoh H, Kikuchi A. Noncovalent binding of small ubiquitin-related modifier (SUMO) protease to SUMO is necessary for enzymatic activities and cell growth. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:16465-75 pubmed..In this study we found that SUMO proteases (Axam, SENP1, and yeast Ulp1) show different preferences for noncovalent binding to various SUMOs (SUMO-1, -2, -3, and yeast Smt3) and that the ..
- Zhao X, Wu C, Blobel G. Mlp-dependent anchorage and stabilization of a desumoylating enzyme is required to prevent clonal lethality. J Cell Biol. 2004;167:605-11 pubmed..Mlps and Nup60, but not several other nucleoporins, are required to localize and stabilize a desumoylating enzyme Ulp1. Moreover, like Mlps, Ulp1 exhibits a unique asymmetric distribution on the nuclear envelope...
- Bylebyl G, Belichenko I, Johnson E. The SUMO isopeptidase Ulp2 prevents accumulation of SUMO chains in yeast. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:44113-20 pubmed..Our data suggest that SUMO can form chains in vivo in yeast but demonstrate conclusively that chain formation is not required for the essential functions of SUMO in S. cerevisiae. ..
- Li S, Hochstrasser M. The Ulp1 SUMO isopeptidase: distinct domains required for viability, nuclear envelope localization, and substrate specificity. J Cell Biol. 2003;160:1069-81 pubmed..Of its two known desumoylating enzymes, Ubl-specific protease (Ulp)1 and Ulp2/Smt4, Ulp1 is specifically required for cell cycle progression...
- de Albuquerque C, Liang J, Gaut N, Zhou H. Molecular Circuitry of the SUMO (Small Ubiquitin-like Modifier) Pathway in Controlling Sumoylation Homeostasis and Suppressing Genome Rearrangements. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:8825-35 pubmed publisher..In contrast, loss of Ulp1 or its mis-localization from the nuclear periphery causes substantial accumulations of GCRs and elevated ..
- Soustelle C, Vernis L, Fréon K, Reynaud Angelin A, Chanet R, Fabre F, et al. A new Saccharomyces cerevisiae strain with a mutant Smt3-deconjugating Ulp1 protein is affected in DNA replication and requires Srs2 and homologous recombination for its viability. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:5130-43 pubmed..One of them is a mutated allele of the ULP1 gene that encodes a protease specifically cleaving Smt3-protein conjugates...
- Wang Z, Jones G, Prelich G. Genetic analysis connects SLX5 and SLX8 to the SUMO pathway in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2006;172:1499-509 pubmed
- Panse V, Kressler D, Pauli A, Petfalski E, Gnädig M, Tollervey D, et al. Formation and nuclear export of preribosomes are functionally linked to the small-ubiquitin-related modifier pathway. Traffic. 2006;7:1311-21 pubmed..Mutations in UBC9 (E2 enzyme), ULP1 [small-ubiquitin-related modifier (SUMO) isopeptidase] and SMT3 (SUMO-1) caused 60S export defects...
- Xie Y, Kerscher O, Kroetz M, McConchie H, Sung P, Hochstrasser M. The yeast Hex3.Slx8 heterodimer is a ubiquitin ligase stimulated by substrate sumoylation. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:34176-84 pubmed..Remarkably, even a complete deletion of ULP1 is strongly suppressed. Hex3 forms a heterodimer with Slx8. We found that the Hex3...
- Felberbaum R, Wilson N, Cheng D, Peng J, Hochstrasser M. Desumoylation of the endoplasmic reticulum membrane VAP family protein Scs2 by Ulp1 and SUMO regulation of the inositol synthesis pathway. Mol Cell Biol. 2012;32:64-75 pubmed publisher..Here we report that specific mutations in the Saccharomyces cerevisiae Ulp1 SUMO protease, including its coiled-coil (CC) domain, lead to the accumulation of distinct sumoylated proteins in ..
- Andréasson C, Rampelt H, Fiaux J, Druffel Augustin S, Bukau B. The endoplasmic reticulum Grp170 acts as a nucleotide exchange factor of Hsp70 via a mechanism similar to that of the cytosolic Hsp110. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:12445-53 pubmed publisher..Thus, our findings demonstrate that despite some differences between Hsp110 and Grp170 proteins, they use a similar mechanism to trigger nucleotide exchange. ..
- Mullen J, Chen C, Brill S. Wss1 is a SUMO-dependent isopeptidase that interacts genetically with the Slx5-Slx8 SUMO-targeted ubiquitin ligase. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:3737-48 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that Wss1 is a SUMO-dependent isopeptidase that acts on sumoylated substrates as they undergo proteasomal degradation. ..
- Bonnet A, Bretes H, Palancade B. Nuclear pore components affect distinct stages of intron-containing gene expression. Nucleic Acids Res. 2015;43:4249-61 pubmed publisherSeveral nuclear pore-associated factors, including the SUMO-protease Ulp1, have been proposed to prevent the export of intron-containing messenger ribonucleoparticles (mRNPs) in yeast...
- Texari L, Dieppois G, Vinciguerra P, Contreras M, Groner A, Letourneau A, et al. The nuclear pore regulates GAL1 gene transcription by controlling the localization of the SUMO protease Ulp1. Mol Cell. 2013;51:807-18 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our data highlight a role for the NPC-associated SUMO protease Ulp1 in regulating the sumoylation of gene-bound transcription regulators, positively affecting transcription ..
- Burgess R, Rahman S, Lisby M, Rothstein R, Zhao X. The Slx5-Slx8 complex affects sumoylation of DNA repair proteins and negatively regulates recombination. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:6153-62 pubmed..In addition, the complex inhibits Rad51-independent recombination via modulating the sumoylation of DNA repair proteins. ..
- Ii T, Mullen J, Slagle C, Brill S. Stimulation of in vitro sumoylation by Slx5-Slx8: evidence for a functional interaction with the SUMO pathway. DNA Repair (Amst). 2007;6:1679-91 pubmed..Interestingly, a functional RING-finger domain is not required for this stimulation in vitro. These biochemical data demonstrate for the first time that the Slx5 and Slx8 complex is capable of interacting directly with the SUMO pathway. ..
- Dobson M, Pickett A, Velmurugan S, Pinder J, Barrett L, Jayaram M, et al. The 2 microm plasmid causes cell death in Saccharomyces cerevisiae with a mutation in Ulp1 protease. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:4299-310 pubmedThe 2 microm circle plasmid confers no phenotype in wild-type Saccharomyces cerevisiae but in a nib1 mutant, an elevated plasmid copy number is associated with cell death...
- Elmore Z, Donaher M, Matson B, Murphy H, Westerbeck J, Kerscher O. Sumo-dependent substrate targeting of the SUMO protease Ulp1. BMC Biol. 2011;9:74 pubmed publisherIn the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae, the essential small ubiquitin-like modifier (SUMO) protease Ulp1 is responsible for both removing SUMO/Smt3 from specific target proteins and for processing precursor SUMO into its conjugation-..
- Eckhoff J, Dohmen R. In Vitro Studies Reveal a Sequential Mode of Chain Processing by the Yeast SUMO (Small Ubiquitin-related Modifier)-specific Protease Ulp2. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:12268-81 pubmed publisher..In Saccharomyces cerevisiae there are apparently only two SUMO(Smt3)-specific proteases: Ulp1 and Ulp2...
- Chen X, Silver H, Xiong L, Belichenko I, Adegite C, Johnson E. Topoisomerase I-dependent viability loss in saccharomyces cerevisiae mutants defective in both SUMO conjugation and DNA repair. Genetics. 2007;177:17-30 pubmed..Other mutants that affect SUMO conjugation, including a ulp1 mutant and the nuclear pore mutants nup60Delta and nup133Delta, show similar top1-suppressible synthetic defects ..
- Takahashi Y, Toh e A, Kikuchi Y. Comparative analysis of yeast PIAS-type SUMO ligases in vivo and in vitro. J Biochem. 2003;133:415-22 pubmed..Finally we found that the C-terminal truncated form of Ull1/Siz1 was mis-localized in vivo, but retained its SUMO ligase activity in vitro. We discuss the regulation of these SUMO ligases in vivo and in vitro. ..
- Peek J, Harvey C, Gray D, Rosenberg D, Kolla L, Levy Myers R, et al. SUMO targeting of a stress-tolerant Ulp1 SUMO protease. PLoS ONE. 2018;13:e0191391 pubmed publisher..To this end we have undertaken a detailed comparison of the SUMO-binding activity of the budding yeast protein Ulp1 (ScUlp1) and its ortholog in the thermotolerant yeast Kluyveromyces marxianus, KmUlp1...
- Xu Z, Lam L, Lam L, Chau S, Ng T, Au S. Molecular basis of the redox regulation of SUMO proteases: a protective mechanism of intermolecular disulfide linkage against irreversible sulfhydryl oxidation. FASEB J. 2008;22:127-37 pubmed..Such reversible modification confers a higher recovery of enzyme activity, which is also observed in yeast Ulp1, but not in human SENP2, suggesting its protective role against irreversible sulfhydryl oxidation...
- NiÃ±o C, Guet D, Gay A, Brutus S, Jourquin F, Mendiratta S, et al. Posttranslational marks control architectural and functional plasticity of the nuclear pore complex basket. J Cell Biol. 2016;212:167-80 pubmed publisher..Together, these data reveal an original mechanism contributing to the plasticity of the NPC at a molecular-organization and functional level. ..
- Sharma P, Mullen J, Li M, Zaratiegui M, Bunting S, Brill S. A Lysine Desert Protects a Novel Domain in the Slx5-Slx8 SUMO Targeted Ub Ligase To Maintain Sumoylation Levels in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2017;206:1807-1821 pubmed publisher..synthetic lethality isolated mutations in genes known to control global sumoylation levels including ULP1, ULP2, SIZ2, and SLX5 The results suggest that alternative pathways of repair become ..