Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: UBC4
Description: E2 ubiquitin-conjugating protein UBC4
Alias: E2 ubiquitin-conjugating protein UBC4
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Schaefer J, Morgan D. Protein-linked ubiquitin chain structure restricts activity of deubiquitinating enzymes. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:45186-96 pubmed publisher..We propose that the resistance to many DUBs of long, substrate-attached Lys(48)-linked chains helps ensure that proteins are maintained free from ubiquitin until a threshold of ubiquitin ligase activity enables degradation...
- Kus B, Gajadhar A, Stanger K, Cho R, Sun W, Rouleau N, et al. A high throughput screen to identify substrates for the ubiquitin ligase Rsp5. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:29470-8 pubmed..The combination of this sensitive assay and the availability of purified substrates will enable the identification of substrates for any purified E3 enzyme. ..
- Rodrigo Brenni M, Morgan D. Sequential E2s drive polyubiquitin chain assembly on APC targets. Cell. 2007;130:127-39 pubmed..We screened all budding yeast E2s as APC coenzymes in vitro and found that two, Ubc4 and Ubc1, are the key E2 partners for the APC...
- Singh R, Kabbaj M, Paik J, Gunjan A. Histone levels are regulated by phosphorylation and ubiquitylation-dependent proteolysis. Nat Cell Biol. 2009;11:925-33 pubmed publisher..We have also identified the ubiquitin conjugating enzymes (E2) Ubc4 and Ubc5, as well as the ubiquitin ligase (E3) Tom1 (temperature dependent organization in mitotic nucleus 1), as ..
- Ostapenko D, Solomon M. Anaphase promoting complex-dependent degradation of transcriptional repressors Nrm1 and Yhp1 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:2175-84 pubmed publisher..Therefore, in addition to its known functions, APC-mediated targeting of Nrm1 and Yhp1 coordinates transcription of multiple genes in G1 with other cell cycle events. ..
- Kirkpatrick D, Hathaway N, Hanna J, Elsasser S, Rush J, Finley D, et al. Quantitative analysis of in vitro ubiquitinated cyclin B1 reveals complex chain topology. Nat Cell Biol. 2006;8:700-10 pubmed..Together, our observations expand the context of what can be considered to be a sufficient degradation signal and provide unique insights into the mechanisms of substrate ubiquitination. ..
- Foe I, Foster S, Cheung S, DeLuca S, Morgan D, Toczyski D. Ubiquitination of Cdc20 by the APC occurs through an intramolecular mechanism. Curr Biol. 2011;21:1870-7 pubmed publisher..This suggests that distinct mechanisms are able to target Cdc20 for ubiquitination at different points during the cell cycle. ..
- Peng J, Schwartz D, Elias J, Thoreen C, Cheng D, Marsischky G, et al. A proteomics approach to understanding protein ubiquitination. Nat Biotechnol. 2003;21:921-6 pubmed..The methodology described here provides a general tool for the large-scale analysis and characterization of protein ubiquitination. ..
- Enquist Newman M, Sullivan M, Morgan D. Modulation of the mitotic regulatory network by APC-dependent destruction of the Cdh1 inhibitor Acm1. Mol Cell. 2008;30:437-46 pubmed publisher..We also speculate that the ability of APC(Cdh1) to target its own inhibitor enhances the bistability of the late mitotic regulatory system. ..
- Seufert W, Jentsch S. Ubiquitin-conjugating enzymes UBC4 and UBC5 mediate selective degradation of short-lived and abnormal proteins. EMBO J. 1990;9:543-50 pubmed..We have cloned the genes for two novel ubiquitin-conjugating enzymes, UBC4 and UBC5, from the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae...
- He J, Chao W, Zhang Z, Yang J, Cronin N, Barford D. Insights into degron recognition by APC/C coactivators from the structure of an Acm1-Cdh1 complex. Mol Cell. 2013;50:649-60 pubmed publisher..We provide a structural rationalization for D box and KEN box recognition by coactivators and demonstrate that many noncanonical APC/C degrons bind APC/C coactivators at the D box coreceptor...
- Allen K, Chernova T, Tennant E, Wilkinson K, Chernoff Y. Effects of ubiquitin system alterations on the formation and loss of a yeast prion. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:3004-13 pubmed..effect is decreased by deletion of either the gene coding for one of the major yeast ubiquitin-conjugating enzymes, Ubc4, or the gene coding for the ubiquitin-recycling enzyme, Ubp6...
- Panasenko O, David F, Collart M. Ribosome association and stability of the nascent polypeptide-associated complex is dependent upon its own ubiquitination. Genetics. 2009;181:447-60 pubmed publisher..Finally, our study demonstrated an interaction of EGD/NAC with the proteasome and revealed the importance of the Not4p E3 ligase, responsible for EGD/NAC ubiquitination, in this association. ..
- Wang Z, Prelich G. Quality control of a transcriptional regulator by SUMO-targeted degradation. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:1694-706 pubmed publisher..disrupting the Slx5-Slx8 pathway by mutation of the target lysines in Mot1, by deletion of SLX5 or the ubiquitin E2 UBC4, or by inhibition of the proteosome suppresses mot1-301 mutant phenotypes and increases the stability of the Mot1-..
- Das Bradoo S, Nguyen H, Wood J, Ricke R, Haworth J, Bielinsky A. Defects in DNA ligase I trigger PCNA ubiquitylation at Lys 107. Nat Cell Biol. 2010;12:74-9; sup pp 1-20 pubmed publisher..4) nor the ubiquitin ligase (E3) Rad18 (ref. 5), but requires the E2 variant Mms2 (ref. 6) in conjunction with Ubc4 (ref. 7) and the E3 Rad5 (Refs 8, 9). Surprisingly, DNA ligase I-deficient S...
- Hochstrasser M. Ubiquitin-dependent protein degradation. Annu Rev Genet. 1996;30:405-39 pubmed..This diversity underlies both the high substrate specificity of the ubiquitin system and the variety of regulatory mechanisms that it serves. ..
- Starita L, Lo R, Eng J, von Haller P, Fields S. Sites of ubiquitin attachment in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Proteomics. 2012;12:236-40 pubmed publisher..However, such peptides with GG shifts have been difficult to discover. We identify 870 unique sites of ubiquitin attachment on 438 different proteins of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. ..
- Zhang Z, Yang J, Kong E, Chao W, Morris E, da Fonseca P, et al. Recombinant expression, reconstitution and structure of human anaphase-promoting complex (APC/C). Biochem J. 2013;449:365-71 pubmed publisher..Additional density present in the human APC/C structure, proximal to Apc3/Cdc27 of the TPR lobe, is assigned to the TPR subunit Apc7, a subunit specific to vertebrate APC/C. ..
- Chuang S, Madura K. Saccharomyces cerevisiae Ub-conjugating enzyme Ubc4 binds the proteasome in the presence of translationally damaged proteins. Genetics. 2005;171:1477-84 pubmed..We show here that multiubiquitinated proteins, and the ubiquitin-conjugating (E2) enzyme Ubc4, are rapidly detected in the proteasome following translational damage...
- Dial J, Petrotchenko E, Borchers C. Inhibition of APCCdh1 activity by Cdh1/Acm1/Bmh1 ternary complex formation. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:5237-48 pubmed..Taken together, our results suggest an additional inactivation mechanism exists for APC(Cdh1) that is independent of Cdh1 phosphorylation. ..
- Passmore L, McCormack E, Au S, Paul A, Willison K, Harper J, et al. Doc1 mediates the activity of the anaphase-promoting complex by contributing to substrate recognition. EMBO J. 2003;22:786-96 pubmed..These results imply that Doc1p/Apc10 may play a role to regulate the binding of specific substrates, similar to that of the coactivators. ..
- Burton J, Xiong Y, Solomon M. Mechanisms of pseudosubstrate inhibition of the anaphase promoting complex by Acm1. EMBO J. 2011;30:1818-29 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that tight Cdh1 binding combined with the inaccessibility of ubiquitinatable lysines contributes to pseudosubstrate inhibition of APC(Cdh1). ..
- Kim H, Huibregtse J. Polyubiquitination by HECT E3s and the determinants of chain type specificity. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:3307-18 pubmed publisher..Our results are also consistent with a simple sequential-addition mechanism for polyubiquitination by Rsp5, rather than a mechanism involving the formation of either E2- or E3-linked polyubiquitin chain transfers. ..
- Uzunova K, Göttsche K, Miteva M, Weisshaar S, Glanemann C, Schnellhardt M, et al. Ubiquitin-dependent proteolytic control of SUMO conjugates. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:34167-75 pubmed..A similar accumulation of such conjugates was detected in Saccharomyces cerevisiae ubc4 ubc5 cells as well as in mutants lacking two RING finger proteins, Ris1 and Hex3/Slx5-Slx8, that bind to SUMO as ..
- Ortolan T, Chen L, Tongaonkar P, Madura K. Rad23 stabilizes Rad4 from degradation by the Ub/proteasome pathway. Nucleic Acids Res. 2004;32:6490-500 pubmed..Mutations in the proteasome, and in genes encoding the ubiquitin-conjugating enzymes Ubc4 and Ubc5, stabilized Rad4 and increased tolerance to UV light...
- Haworth J, Alver R, Anderson M, Bielinsky A. Ubc4 and Not4 regulate steady-state levels of DNA polymerase-? to promote efficient and accurate DNA replication. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:3205-19 pubmed publisher..Cdc17, the catalytic subunit of pol-? in yeast, is rapidly degraded after depletion of Mcm10. Here we show that Ubc4 and Not4 are required for Cdc17 destabilization...
- Hwang C, Shemorry A, Auerbach D, Varshavsky A. The N-end rule pathway is mediated by a complex of the RING-type Ubr1 and HECT-type Ufd4 ubiquitin ligases. Nat Cell Biol. 2010;12:1177-85 pubmed publisher..We also found that Ubr1 can recognize the N-terminal ubiquitin moiety. These and related advances unify two proteolytic systems that have been studied separately for two decades. ..
- Kammerer D, Stevermann L, Liakopoulos D. Ubiquitylation regulates interactions of astral microtubules with the cleavage apparatus. Curr Biol. 2010;20:1233-43 pubmed publisher..Ubiquitylation requires the ubiquitin-conjugating enzymes Ubc1 and Ubc4 and phosphorylation of Kar9 by yeast Cdk1...
- Bao X, Johnson J, Rao H. Rad25 protein is targeted for degradation by the Ubc4-Ufd4 pathway. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:8606-12 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that Rad25 turnover requires the ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme Ubc4 and the ubiquitin ligase Ufd4...
- Bhaskar V, Basquin J, Conti E. Architecture of the ubiquitylation module of the yeast Ccr4-Not complex. Structure. 2015;23:921-928 pubmed publisher..The 2.8-Ã… resolution crystal structure of the N-terminal RING domain of Not4 in complex with Ubc4 shows the detailed interactions of this E3-E2 complex. The 3...
- Medintz I, Jiang H, Michels C. The role of ubiquitin conjugation in glucose-induced proteolysis of Saccharomyces maltose permease. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:34454-62 pubmed..Loss of these functions was not shown to effect glucose-induced proteolysis of maltose permease, but loss of Ubc1, -4, and -5 was found to inhibit maltose permease expression at the post-transcriptional level. ..
- Kiktev D, Patterson J, Muller S, Bariar B, Pan T, Chernoff Y. Regulation of chaperone effects on a yeast prion by cochaperone Sgt2. Mol Cell Biol. 2012;32:4960-70 pubmed publisher..Our data implicate Sgt2 as an amyloid "sensor" and a regulator of chaperone targeting to different types of aggregation-prone proteins. ..
- Gillette T, Yu S, Zhou Z, Waters R, Johnston S, Reed S. Distinct functions of the ubiquitin-proteasome pathway influence nucleotide excision repair. EMBO J. 2006;25:2529-38 pubmed..These studies reveal that, following UV radiation, NER is mediated by nonproteolytic activities of the UPP, via the ubiquitin-like domain of Rad23 and UV radiation-induced ubiquitination of Rad4. ..
- Singh R, Gonzalez M, Kabbaj M, Gunjan A. Novel E3 ubiquitin ligases that regulate histone protein levels in the budding yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e36295 pubmed publisher..of histone protein levels by the ubiquitin-proteasome pathway involving the E2 ubiquitin conjugating enzymes Ubc4/5 and the HECT (Homologous to E6-AP C-Terminus) domain containing E3 ligase Tom1 in the budding yeast...
- Herrador A, Leon S, Haguenauer Tsapis R, Vincent O. A mechanism for protein monoubiquitination dependent on a trans-acting ubiquitin-binding domain. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:16206-11 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal a novel mechanism to control ubiquitin chain length on substrates in vivo. ..
- Hiraishi H, Okada M, Ohtsu I, Takagi H. A functional analysis of the yeast ubiquitin ligase Rsp5: the involvement of the ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme Ubc4 and poly-ubiquitination in ethanol-induced down-regulation of targeted proteins. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2009;73:2268-73 pubmed..In this study, we analyzed the ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme Ubc4 and the poly-ubiquitination of targeted proteins involved in the function of Rsp5 under ethanol stress conditions...
- Kus B, Caldon C, Andorn Broza R, Edwards A. Functional interaction of 13 yeast SCF complexes with a set of yeast E2 enzymes in vitro. Proteins. 2004;54:455-67 pubmed..and explored the ability of these complexes to function with 5 different purified E2 enzymes; Ubc1, Cdc34, Ubc4, Ubc8 and Ubc11...
- Shi Y, Chen X, Elsasser S, Stocks B, Tian G, Lee B, et al. Rpn1 provides adjacent receptor sites for substrate binding and deubiquitination by the proteasome. Science. 2016;351: pubmed publisher..Thus, a two-site recognition domain intrinsic to the proteasome uses distinct ubiquitin-fold ligands to assemble substrates, shuttling factors, and a deubiquitinating enzyme. ..
- Ortolan T, Tongaonkar P, Lambertson D, Chen L, Schauber C, Madura K. The DNA repair protein rad23 is a negative regulator of multi-ubiquitin chain assembly. Nat Cell Biol. 2000;2:601-8 pubmed..The UV sensitivity of rad23Delta was reduced in mutants lacking the E2 enzyme Ubc4, or the multi-Ub chain-promoting factor Ufd2...
- Crosas B, Hanna J, Kirkpatrick D, Zhang D, Tone Y, Hathaway N, et al. Ubiquitin chains are remodeled at the proteasome by opposing ubiquitin ligase and deubiquitinating activities. Cell. 2006;127:1401-13 pubmed..We propose that through dynamic remodeling of ubiquitin chains, proteasomes actively regulate substrate commitment to degradation. ..
- Chen P, Johnson P, Sommer T, Jentsch S, Hochstrasser M. Multiple ubiquitin-conjugating enzymes participate in the in vivo degradation of the yeast MAT alpha 2 repressor. Cell. 1993;74:357-69 pubmed..Here we show that four UBC proteins (UBC4, UBC5, UBC6, and UBC7) target the yeast MAT alpha 2 transcriptional regulator for intracellular degradation by two ..
- Williams C, van den Berg M, Panjikar S, Stanley W, Distel B, Wilmanns M. Insights into ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme/ co-activator interactions from the structure of the Pex4p:Pex22p complex. EMBO J. 2012;31:391-402 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate that the Pex4p:Pex22p assembly, and not Pex4p alone, functions as the E2 enzyme required for Pex5p ubiquitination, establishing a novel mechanism of E2 enzyme regulation. ..
- Rabut G, Le Dez G, Verma R, Makhnevych T, Knebel A, Kurz T, et al. The TFIIH subunit Tfb3 regulates cullin neddylation. Mol Cell. 2011;43:488-95 pubmed publisher..Instead, ubiquitylation of Rtt101 was dependent on the ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme Ubc4, while efficient neddylation involves the RING domain protein Tfb3, a subunit of the transcription factor TFIIH...
- Parag H, Dimitrovsky D, Raboy B, Kulka R. Selective ubiquitination of calmodulin by UBC4 and a putative ubiquitin protein ligase (E3) from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. FEBS Lett. 1993;325:242-6 pubmedA putative ubiquitin protein ligase (E3-CaM) which cooperates with UBC4 in selectively ubiquitinating calmodulin has been partially purified from Saccharomyces cerevisiae...
- Hickey C, Hochstrasser M. STUbL-mediated degradation of the transcription factor MATÎ±2 requires degradation elements that coincide with corepressor binding sites. Mol Biol Cell. 2015;26:3401-12 pubmed publisher..enzymes (E2s) Ubc6 and Ubc7 and the ubiquitin ligase (E3) Doa10 and the other operating with the E2 Ubc4 and the heterodimeric E3 Slx5/Slx8...
- Westerbeck J, Pasupala N, Guillotte M, Szymanski E, Matson B, Esteban C, et al. A SUMO-targeted ubiquitin ligase is involved in the degradation of the nuclear pool of the SUMO E3 ligase Siz1. Mol Biol Cell. 2014;25:1-16 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our data provide a first look into the STUbL-mediated regulation of a SUMO E3 ligase. ..
- Swanson R, Locher M, Hochstrasser M. A conserved ubiquitin ligase of the nuclear envelope/endoplasmic reticulum that functions in both ER-associated and Matalpha2 repressor degradation. Genes Dev. 2001;15:2660-74 pubmed..The likely human ortholog of DOA10 is in the cri-du-chat syndrome critical region on chromosome 5p, suggesting that defective ubiquitin ligation might contribute to this common genetic disorder. ..
- Winkler G, Albert T, Dominguez C, Legtenberg Y, Boelens R, Timmers H. An altered-specificity ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme/ubiquitin-protein ligase pair. J Mol Biol. 2004;337:157-65 pubmed..These are the first examples of altered-specificity E2-E3 enzyme pairs and give further insight into how E2-E3 specificity is obtained. ..
- El Magraoui F, Bäumer B, Platta H, Baumann J, Girzalsky W, Erdmann R. The RING-type ubiquitin ligases Pex2p, Pex10p and Pex12p form a heteromeric complex that displays enhanced activity in an ubiquitin conjugating enzyme-selective manner. FEBS J. 2012;279:2060-70 pubmed publisher..The RING domains proved to function as heteromeric pairs that display an Pex10p-dependent enhanced ligase activity in an ubiquitin conjugating enzyme-selective manner. ..
- Irniger S, Baumer M, Braus G. Glucose and ras activity influence the ubiquitin ligases APC/C and SCF in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2000;154:1509-21 pubmed..We conclude that glucose and Ras proteins influence the APC/C and the SCF complex in an opposite manner. These ubiquitin ligases might represent novel targets for modulating cell division in response to growth conditions. ..
- Bays N, Gardner R, Seelig L, Joazeiro C, Hampton R. Hrd1p/Der3p is a membrane-anchored ubiquitin ligase required for ER-associated degradation. Nat Cell Biol. 2001;3:24-9 pubmed..In this capacity, Hrd1p has an apparent preference for misfolded proteins. We also show that Hrd1p functions as an E3 in vivo, using only Ubc7p or Ubc1p to specifically program the ubiquitination of ERAD substrates. ..
- Menoyo S, Ricco N, Bru S, Hernandez Ortega S, Escote X, Aldea M, et al. Phosphate-activated cyclin-dependent kinase stabilizes G1 cyclin to trigger cell cycle entry. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:1273-84 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data indicate that Cln3 is a molecular target of the Pho85 kinase that is required to modulate cell cycle entry in response to environmental changes in nutrient availability. ..
- Eguez L, Chung Y, Kuchibhatla A, Paidhungat M, Garrett S. Yeast Mn2+ transporter, Smf1p, is regulated by ubiquitin-dependent vacuolar protein sorting. Genetics. 2004;167:107-17 pubmed..cdc1(Ts) conditional growth is also alleviated by mutations, including doa4 and ubc4, that compromise protein ubiquitination, and these ubiquitination defects are associated with Smf1p accumulation...
- Loring G, Christensen K, Gerber S, Brenner C. Yeast Chfr homologs retard cell cycle at G1 and G2/M via Ubc4 and Ubc13/Mms2-dependent ubiquitination. Cell Cycle. 2008;7:96-105 pubmed..Using a genetic assay, we establish that Ubc4 is required for Chf2-dependent G(1) cell cycle delay and Chf protein turnover...
- Hill K, Cooper A. Degradation of unassembled Vph1p reveals novel aspects of the yeast ER quality control system. EMBO J. 2000;19:550-61 pubmed..These data suggest that other ERQC components must exist to effect the degradation of Vph1p, perhaps comprising an alternative pathway. ..
- Zuin A, Bichmann A, Isasa M, Puig SÃ rries P, DÃaz L, Crosas B. Rpn10 monoubiquitination orchestrates the association of the ubiquilin-type DSK2 receptor with the proteasome. Biochem J. 2015;472:353-65 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, Rpn10-ubiquitin, with an inactivated ubiquitin-interacting motif (UIM), and Dsk2(I45S), with an inactive ubiquitin-like domain (UBL), show temperature-dependent phenotypes with multiple functional interactions. ..
- Sharma P, Mullen J, Li M, Zaratiegui M, Bunting S, Brill S. A Lysine Desert Protects a Novel Domain in the Slx5-Slx8 SUMO Targeted Ub Ligase To Maintain Sumoylation Levels in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2017;206:1807-1821 pubmed publisher..This "lysine desert" is found in the subset of large fungal Slx5 proteins, but not its smaller orthologs such as RNF4. The lysine desert solves a problem that Ub ligases encounter when evolving novel functional domains. ..
- Kono K, Saeki Y, Yoshida S, Tanaka K, Pellman D. Proteasomal degradation resolves competition between cell polarization and cellular wound healing. Cell. 2012;150:151-64 pubmed publisher..Mechanisms to overcome competition from a pre-existing polarized cytoskeleton may be a general feature of effective wound healing in polarized cells. ..
- Díaz Blanco N, RODRIGUEZ MEDINA J. Dosage rescue by UBC4 restores cell wall integrity in Saccharomyces cerevisiae lacking the myosin type II gene MYO1. Yeast. 2007;24:343-55 pubmed..We found that high expression of the ubiquitin-conjugating protein cDNA, UBC4, restores NZ resistance to myo1 cells...
- Tongaonkar P, Chen L, Lambertson D, Ko B, Madura K. Evidence for an interaction between ubiquitin-conjugating enzymes and the 26S proteasome. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:4691-8 pubmed..We have discovered that E2 proteins, including Ubc1, Ubc2, Ubc4, and Ubc5, can interact with the 26S proteasome...
- Stoffregen M, Schwer M, Renschler F, Wiesner S. Methionine scanning as an NMR tool for detecting and analyzing biomolecular interaction surfaces. Structure. 2012;20:573-81 pubmed publisher..of this approach for the interaction between the HECT domain of the Rsp5p ubiquitin ligase and its cognate E2, Ubc4. Using these mutants, we could instantaneously assign all newly arising reporter methyl signals, determine the Ubc4 ..
- Ziv I, Matiuhin Y, Kirkpatrick D, Erpapazoglou Z, Leon S, Pantazopoulou M, et al. A perturbed ubiquitin landscape distinguishes between ubiquitin in trafficking and in proteolysis. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2011;10:M111.009753 pubmed publisher..We conclude that despite the shared use of the ubiquitin molecule, the two branches of the ubiquitin machinery--the ubiquitin-proteasome system and the ubiquitin trafficking system--were unevenly perturbed by expression of K0 ubiquitin. ..
- Hiraishi H, Shimada T, Ohtsu I, Sato T, Takagi H. The yeast ubiquitin ligase Rsp5 downregulates the alpha subunit of nascent polypeptide-associated complex Egd2 under stress conditions. FEBS J. 2009;276:5287-97 pubmed publisher..These results strongly suggest that Rsp5 is involved in selective ubiquitination and degradation of stress-induced unstable proteins, such as Egd2. ..
- Johnson E, Blobel G. Ubc9p is the conjugating enzyme for the ubiquitin-like protein Smt3p. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:26799-802 pubmed..cerevisiae. These results suggest that, like ubiquitination, Smt3p conjugation may be a critical modification in cell cycle regulation. ..
- Ostapenko D, Burton J, Solomon M. The Ubp15 deubiquitinase promotes timely entry into S phase in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2015;26:2205-16 pubmed publisher..Ubp15 interacted with Clb5 independent of Cdh1 and deubiquitinated Clb5 in a reconstituted system. Thus deubiquitination by Ubp15 counteracts APC activity toward cyclin Clb5 to allow Clb5 accumulation and a timely entry into S phase. ..
- Schuyler S, Murray A. An in vitro assay for Cdc20-dependent mitotic anaphase-promoting complex activity from budding yeast. Methods Mol Biol. 2009;545:271-85 pubmed publisher..Here we outline a quantitative in vitro mitotic APC(Cdc20) assay that makes use of a highly active form of the APC that is purified from budding yeast cells arrested in mitosis. ..
- Matsusaka T, Enquist Newman M, Morgan D, Pines J. Co-activator independent differences in how the metaphase and anaphase APC/C recognise the same substrate. Biol Open. 2014;3:904-12 pubmed publisher..Thus, changes in APC/C substrate specificity in mitosis can potentially be conferred by altering interaction sites in addition to exchanging Cdc20 for Cdh1. ..
- Shin M, Ogburn K, Varban O, Gilbert P, Burd C. FYVE domain targets Pib1p ubiquitin ligase to endosome and vacuolar membranes. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:41388-93 pubmed..These results suggest that Pib1p mediates ubiquitination of a subset of cellular proteins localized to endosome and vacuolar membranes, and they expand the repertoire of PI3K-regulated pathways identified in eukaryotic cells. ..
- Duttler S, Pechmann S, Frydman J. Principles of cotranslational ubiquitination and quality control at the ribosome. Mol Cell. 2013;50:379-93 pubmed publisher..We find that quality control at the ribosome is achieved through a tiered system wherein nascent polypeptides have a chance to fold before becoming accessible to ubiquitination. ..
- Platta H, El Magraoui F, Bäumer B, Schlee D, Girzalsky W, Erdmann R. Pex2 and pex12 function as protein-ubiquitin ligases in peroxisomal protein import. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:5505-16 pubmed publisher..Recently, the ubiquitin-conjugating enzymes involved in Pex5 ubiquitination were identified as Ubc4 and Pex4 (Ubc10), whereas the identity of the corresponding protein-ubiquitin ligases remained unknown...
- Irniger S, Piatti S, Michaelis C, Nasmyth K. Genes involved in sister chromatid separation are needed for B-type cyclin proteolysis in budding yeast. Cell. 1995;81:269-78 pubmed..Proteolysis of CLB2 is initiated in early anaphase, but a fraction of CLB2 remains stable until anaphase is complete. ..
- Panasenko O, Collart M. Presence of Not5 and ubiquitinated Rps7A in polysome fractions depends upon the Not4 E3 ligase. Mol Microbiol. 2012;83:640-53 pubmed publisher..These results lead us to suggest that Not4 contributes to normal polysome levels and is important for cellular protein solubility maybe in part by ubiquitination of Rps7A. ..