Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: UBC1
Description: E2 ubiquitin-conjugating protein UBC1
Alias: E2 ubiquitin-conjugating protein UBC1
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Kammerer D, Stevermann L, Liakopoulos D. Ubiquitylation regulates interactions of astral microtubules with the cleavage apparatus. Curr Biol. 2010;20:1233-43 pubmed publisher..Ubiquitylation requires the ubiquitin-conjugating enzymes Ubc1 and Ubc4 and phosphorylation of Kar9 by yeast Cdk1...
- Tongaonkar P, Chen L, Lambertson D, Ko B, Madura K. Evidence for an interaction between ubiquitin-conjugating enzymes and the 26S proteasome. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:4691-8 pubmed..We have discovered that E2 proteins, including Ubc1, Ubc2, Ubc4, and Ubc5, can interact with the 26S proteasome...
- Seufert W, McGrath J, Jentsch S. UBC1 encodes a novel member of an essential subfamily of yeast ubiquitin-conjugating enzymes involved in protein degradation. EMBO J. 1990;9:4535-41 pubmed..We have now identified a third distinct member of this class of ubiquitin-conjugating enzymes, UBC1. UBC1, UBC4 and UBC5 are functionally overlapping and constitute an enzyme family essential for cell growth and ..
- Rodrigo Brenni M, Morgan D. Sequential E2s drive polyubiquitin chain assembly on APC targets. Cell. 2007;130:127-39 pubmed..We screened all budding yeast E2s as APC coenzymes in vitro and found that two, Ubc4 and Ubc1, are the key E2 partners for the APC...
- Erlich R, Fry R, Begley T, Daee D, Lahue R, Samson L. Anc1, a protein associated with multiple transcription complexes, is involved in postreplication repair pathway in S. cerevisiae. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3717 pubmed publisher..Anc1's role in the PRR pathway, as well as its role in suppressing triplet repeats, point to a possible mechanism for a protein of potential medical interest. ..
- Kee Y, Lyon N, Huibregtse J. The Rsp5 ubiquitin ligase is coupled to and antagonized by the Ubp2 deubiquitinating enzyme. EMBO J. 2005;24:2414-24 pubmed..Together, these results indicate that Rsp5 activity is modulated by being physically coupled to the Rup1/Ubp2 deubiquitinating enzyme complex, representing a novel mode of regulation for an HECT ubiquitin ligase. ..
- Sharon G, Raboy B, Parag H, Dimitrovsky D, Kulka R. RAD6 gene product of Saccharomyces cerevisiae requires a putative ubiquitin protein ligase (E3) for the ubiquitination of certain proteins. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:15890-4 pubmed..Other ubiquitin-conjugating enzymes tested (products of the UBC1 and UBC4 genes) do not cooperate with E3-R in conjugating ubiquitin to the same substrates...
- Hicke L, Riezman H. Ubiquitination of a yeast plasma membrane receptor signals its ligand-stimulated endocytosis. Cell. 1996;84:277-87 pubmed..We propose that ubiquitination mediates degradation of receptor-ligand complexes, not via the proteasome, but by acting as a signal for endocytosis leading to subsequent degradation in the lysosome/vacuole. ..
- Sims J, Haririnia A, Dickinson B, Fushman D, Cohen R. Avid interactions underlie the Lys63-linked polyubiquitin binding specificities observed for UBA domains. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2009;16:883-9 pubmed publisher..We reexamine previous conclusions based on GST-UBAs and present an alternative model for how UBAs achieve a diverse range of linkage specificities. ..
- Hill K, Cooper A. Degradation of unassembled Vph1p reveals novel aspects of the yeast ER quality control system. EMBO J. 2000;19:550-61 pubmed..These data suggest that other ERQC components must exist to effect the degradation of Vph1p, perhaps comprising an alternative pathway. ..
- Bays N, Gardner R, Seelig L, Joazeiro C, Hampton R. Hrd1p/Der3p is a membrane-anchored ubiquitin ligase required for ER-associated degradation. Nat Cell Biol. 2001;3:24-9 pubmed..In this capacity, Hrd1p has an apparent preference for misfolded proteins. We also show that Hrd1p functions as an E3 in vivo, using only Ubc7p or Ubc1p to specifically program the ubiquitination of ERAD substrates. ..
- Hochstrasser M. Ubiquitin-dependent protein degradation. Annu Rev Genet. 1996;30:405-39 pubmed..This diversity underlies both the high substrate specificity of the ubiquitin system and the variety of regulatory mechanisms that it serves. ..
- Kim H, Huibregtse J. Polyubiquitination by HECT E3s and the determinants of chain type specificity. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:3307-18 pubmed publisher..Our results are also consistent with a simple sequential-addition mechanism for polyubiquitination by Rsp5, rather than a mechanism involving the formation of either E2- or E3-linked polyubiquitin chain transfers. ..
- Pearce D, Sherman F. Differential ubiquitin-dependent degradation of the yeast apo-cytochrome c isozymes. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:31829-36 pubmed..of apo-iso-1-cytochrome c was observed in pre2-2 and pre1-1 mutants having altered proteasome subunits; in ubc1, ubc4, and ubc5 strains lacking one or more of the ubiquitin-conjugating enzymes; and in strains blocked in multi-..
- Nikko E, Sullivan J, Pelham H. Arrestin-like proteins mediate ubiquitination and endocytosis of the yeast metal transporter Smf1. EMBO Rep. 2008;9:1216-21 pubmed publisher..PY motif-containing arrestin-like proteins are found in many species, including humans, and might have a general role as ubiquitin ligase adaptors. ..
- Merkley N, Shaw G. Solution structure of the flexible class II ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme Ubc1 provides insights for polyubiquitin chain assembly. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:47139-47 pubmed..Here we present the novel solution structure of the class II E2 conjugating enzyme Ubc1 from Saccharomyces cerevisiae...
- Hamilton K, Ellison M, Barber K, Williams R, Huzil J, McKenna S, et al. Structure of a conjugating enzyme-ubiquitin thiolester intermediate reveals a novel role for the ubiquitin tail. Structure. 2001;9:897-904 pubmed..model of the E2-Ub thiolester intermediate has been determined for the catalytic domain of the E2 protein Ubc1 (Ubc1(Delta450)) and ubiquitin from S. cerevisiae...
- Chernova T, Romanyuk A, Karpova T, Shanks J, Ali M, Moffatt N, et al. Prion induction by the short-lived, stress-induced protein Lsb2 is regulated by ubiquitination and association with the actin cytoskeleton. Mol Cell. 2011;43:242-52 pubmed publisher..These findings directly implicate the UPS and actin cytoskeleton in regulating prions via a stress-inducible QN-rich protein. ..
- Shieh H, Chen Y, Brown C, Chiang H. Biochemical analysis of fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase import into vacuole import and degradation vesicles reveals a role for UBC1 in vesicle biogenesis. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:10398-406 pubmed..However, FBPase import required the ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme Ubc1p. A strain containing a deletion of the UBC1 gene exhibited defective FBPase import...
- Díaz Blanco N, RODRIGUEZ MEDINA J. Dosage rescue by UBC4 restores cell wall integrity in Saccharomyces cerevisiae lacking the myosin type II gene MYO1. Yeast. 2007;24:343-55 pubmed..These results point to Ubc4p as an important enzyme in the process of cell wall remodelling in myo1 cells. ..
- Huibregtse J, Yang J, Beaudenon S. The large subunit of RNA polymerase II is a substrate of the Rsp5 ubiquitin-protein ligase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:3656-61 pubmed..In addition, the results support a model for hect E3 function in which the amino-terminal domain mediates substrate binding, while the carboxyl-terminal hect domain catalyzes ubiquitination of bound substrates. ..
- Bhattacharya S, Zoladek T, Haines D. WW domains 2 and 3 of Rsp5p play overlapping roles in binding to the LPKY motif of Spt23p and Mga2p. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2008;40:147-57 pubmed..Also, we propose that WW domains 2 and 3 perform yet to be defined essential function(s) outside of the OLE1 pathway when cells are grown in nutrient restrictive media. ..
- Schaefer J, Morgan D. Protein-linked ubiquitin chain structure restricts activity of deubiquitinating enzymes. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:45186-96 pubmed publisher..We propose that the resistance to many DUBs of long, substrate-attached Lys(48)-linked chains helps ensure that proteins are maintained free from ubiquitin until a threshold of ubiquitin ligase activity enables degradation...
- Hiraishi H, Mochizuki M, Takagi H. Enhancement of stress tolerance in Saccharomyces cerevisiae by overexpression of ubiquitin ligase Rsp5 and ubiquitin-conjugating enzymes. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2006;70:2762-5 pubmed..Yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae cells overexpressing essential ubiquitin ligase Rsp5 or ubiquitin-conjugating enzymes (Ubc1-Ubc13) showed tolerance to various stresses...
- Duttler S, Pechmann S, Frydman J. Principles of cotranslational ubiquitination and quality control at the ribosome. Mol Cell. 2013;50:379-93 pubmed publisher..We find that quality control at the ribosome is achieved through a tiered system wherein nascent polypeptides have a chance to fold before becoming accessible to ubiquitination. ..
- Medintz I, Jiang H, Michels C. The role of ubiquitin conjugation in glucose-induced proteolysis of Saccharomyces maltose permease. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:34454-62 pubmed..Loss of these functions was not shown to effect glucose-induced proteolysis of maltose permease, but loss of Ubc1, -4, and -5 was found to inhibit maltose permease expression at the post-transcriptional level.
- Shcherbik N, Haines D. Cdc48p(Npl4p/Ufd1p) binds and segregates membrane-anchored/tethered complexes via a polyubiquitin signal present on the anchors. Mol Cell. 2007;25:385-97 pubmed..These results provide biochemical evidence that Cdc48p(Npl4p/Ufd1p) functions as a polyubiquitin-selective segregase and that a polyubiquitin-Cdc48p pathway modulates protein interactions at cell membranes. ..
- Biederer T, Volkwein C, Sommer T. Role of Cue1p in ubiquitination and degradation at the ER surface. Science. 1997;278:1806-9 pubmed
- Basmaji F, Martin Yken H, Durand F, Dagkessamanskaia A, Pichereaux C, Rossignol M, et al. The 'interactome' of the Knr4/Smi1, a protein implicated in coordinating cell wall synthesis with bud emergence in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Genet Genomics. 2006;275:217-30 pubmed..The last group contained four proteins (Asc1, Ubc1, Hsc82 and Gvp36) that probably deal with the stability/degradation of proteins...