Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: UBA2
Description: E1 ubiquitin-activating protein UBA2
Alias: UAL1, E1 ubiquitin-activating protein UBA2
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Ho C, Chen H, Hwang J. UBC9 autosumoylation negatively regulates sumoylation of septins in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:21826-34 pubmed publisher..Our study elucidates a regulatory mechanism that utilizes automodification of the E2 enzyme of the sumoylation machinery to control substrate sumoylation. ..
- Wang J, Taherbhoy A, Hunt H, Seyedin S, Miller D, Miller D, et al. Crystal structure of UBA2(ufd)-Ubc9: insights into E1-E2 interactions in Sumo pathways. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e15805 pubmed publisher..Sumo conjugation is initiated by the heterodimeric Aos1-Uba2 E1 enzyme (in humans called Sae1-Uba2), which activates Sumo's C-terminus, binds the dedicated E2 enzyme Ubc9, and ..
- Chavez A, George V, Agrawal V, Johnson F. Sumoylation and the structural maintenance of chromosomes (Smc) 5/6 complex slow senescence through recombination intermediate resolution. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:11922-30 pubmed publisher..Further, we provide evidence that Mms21 and Smc5/6 prevent aberrant recombination between sister telomeres and also globally facilitate resolution of sister chromatid HR intermediates. ..
- Wang Z, Jones G, Prelich G. Genetic analysis connects SLX5 and SLX8 to the SUMO pathway in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2006;172:1499-509 pubmed
- Zhao X, Blobel G. A SUMO ligase is part of a nuclear multiprotein complex that affects DNA repair and chromosomal organization. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:4777-82 pubmed..We propose that Mms21 sumoylates proteins involved in these diverse processes and that the other members of the complex, particularly Smc5/6, facilitate proper substrate sumoylation by localizing Mms21 to specific chromosomal regions. ..
- Rutter J, Probst B, McKnight S. Coordinate regulation of sugar flux and translation by PAS kinase. Cell. 2002;111:17-28 pubmed..These studies provide evidence of a cell-autonomous signaling system that both controls and connects the balance of fuel consumption/storage to protein synthesis. ..
- Schwienhorst I, Johnson E, Dohmen R. SUMO conjugation and deconjugation. Mol Gen Genet. 2000;263:771-86 pubmed..To study the function of SUMO conjugation, we isolated uba2 mutants that were temperature-sensitive for growth...
- Xie Y, Rubenstein E, Matt T, Hochstrasser M. SUMO-independent in vivo activity of a SUMO-targeted ubiquitin ligase toward a short-lived transcription factor. Genes Dev. 2010;24:893-903 pubmed publisher..We suggest that alpha2, and presumably other proteins, have surface features that mimic SUMO, and therefore can directly recruit STUbLs without prior SUMO conjugation. ..
- Psakhye I, Jentsch S. Protein group modification and synergy in the SUMO pathway as exemplified in DNA repair. Cell. 2012;151:807-820 pubmed publisher..We propose that SUMOylation may thus often target a protein group rather than individual proteins, whereas localized modification enzymes and highly specific triggers ensure specificity. ..