Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: UBA1
Description: E1 ubiquitin-activating protein UBA1
Alias: E1 ubiquitin-activating protein UBA1
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Ghaboosi N, Deshaies R. A conditional yeast E1 mutant blocks the ubiquitin-proteasome pathway and reveals a role for ubiquitin conjugates in targeting Rad23 to the proteasome. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:1953-63 pubmed..We report the isolation of uba1-204, a temperature-sensitive allele of the essential Saccharomyces cerevisiae E1 gene, UBA1...
- Cheng I, Roberts L, Tye B. Mcm3 is polyubiquitinated during mitosis before establishment of the pre-replication complex. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:41706-14 pubmed..Reducing the rate of ubiquitination by uba1-165, a suppressor of mcm3-10, restored the interaction of Mcm3-10p with subunits of the MCM complex and its ..
- Johnston S, Riddle S, Cohen R, Hill C. Structural basis for the specificity of ubiquitin C-terminal hydrolases. EMBO J. 1999;18:3877-87 pubmed..Efficiently processed substrates apparently pass through this loop, and constraints on the loop conformation probably function to control UCH specificity. ..
- Shimada K, Pasero P, Gasser S. ORC and the intra-S-phase checkpoint: a threshold regulates Rad53p activation in S phase. Genes Dev. 2002;16:3236-52 pubmed..Our data suggest the existence of an S-phase-specific threshold that may be necessary to allow cells to tolerate damage-like DNA structures present at normal replication forks. ..
- Loring G, Christensen K, Gerber S, Brenner C. Yeast Chfr homologs retard cell cycle at G1 and G2/M via Ubc4 and Ubc13/Mms2-dependent ubiquitination. Cell Cycle. 2008;7:96-105 pubmed..Thus, combined genetic and biochemical analyses indicate that Chf proteins have dual E2 specificity accounting for different functions in the cell cycle. ..
- Winkler A, Korstanje R, Zonneveld B, Hooykaas P, Steensma H. Isolation and characterization of KIUBP2, a ubiquitin hydrolase gene of Kluyveromyces lactis that can suppress a ts-mutation in CBF2, a gene encoding a centromeric protein of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Curr Genet. 2000;38:17-22 pubmed..cerevisiae genes involved in the ubiquitination pathway could suppress the ts-mutation in the CBF2 gene, namely UBA1, UBA2, UBP1, UBP2 and YUH1, although YUH1 was the only one that could do this like KlUBP2 from a single-copy ..
- Hamilton K, Ellison M, Barber K, Williams R, Huzil J, McKenna S, et al. Structure of a conjugating enzyme-ubiquitin thiolester intermediate reveals a novel role for the ubiquitin tail. Structure. 2001;9:897-904 pubmed..The model supports in vivo and in vitro experiments of E2 derivatives carrying surface residue substitutions. Furthermore, the model provides insights into the arrangement of Ub, E2, and E3 within a ternary targeting complex. ..
- Petroski M, Kleiger G, Deshaies R. Evaluation of a diffusion-driven mechanism for substrate ubiquitination by the SCF-Cdc34 ubiquitin ligase complex. Mol Cell. 2006;24:523-34 pubmed..We propose that interactions between Cdc34 approximately Ub and SCF directly activate ubiquitin transfer within a substrate-SCF-Cdc34 approximately Ub ternary complex. ..
- Rodrigo Brenni M, Morgan D. Sequential E2s drive polyubiquitin chain assembly on APC targets. Cell. 2007;130:127-39 pubmed..E2-25K, a human homolog of Ubc1, also promotes APC-dependent chain extension on preattached ubiquitins. We propose that sequential E2 proteins catalyze K48-linked polyubiquitination and thus proteasomal destruction of APC targets. ..
- Chuang S, Chen L, Lambertson D, Anand M, Kinzy T, Madura K. Proteasome-mediated degradation of cotranslationally damaged proteins involves translation elongation factor 1A. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:403-13 pubmed..Our findings provide a mechanistic foundation for defining how cellular proteins are degraded cotranslationally. ..
- Varelas X, Ptak C, Ellison M. Cdc34 self-association is facilitated by ubiquitin thiolester formation and is required for its catalytic activity. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:5388-400 pubmed..A conclusion from these findings is that the placement of ubiquitin on the Cdc34 surface is a structurally important feature of Cdc34's function. ..
- Williams C, van den Berg M, Panjikar S, Stanley W, Distel B, Wilmanns M. Insights into ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme/ co-activator interactions from the structure of the Pex4p:Pex22p complex. EMBO J. 2012;31:391-402 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate that the Pex4p:Pex22p assembly, and not Pex4p alone, functions as the E2 enzyme required for Pex5p ubiquitination, establishing a novel mechanism of E2 enzyme regulation. ..
- Bailly V, Lauder S, Prakash S, Prakash L. Yeast DNA repair proteins Rad6 and Rad18 form a heterodimer that has ubiquitin conjugating, DNA binding, and ATP hydrolytic activities. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:23360-5 pubmed
- Dohmen R, Stappen R, McGrath J, Forrová H, Kolarov J, Goffeau A, et al. An essential yeast gene encoding a homolog of ubiquitin-activating enzyme. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:18099-109 pubmed..In the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae, a 114-kDa E1 enzyme is encoded by an essential gene termed UBA1 (McGrath, J.P., Jentsch, S., and Varshavsky, A. (1991) EMBO J. 10, 227-236)...
- McGrath J, Jentsch S, Varshavsky A. UBA 1: an essential yeast gene encoding ubiquitin-activating enzyme. EMBO J. 1991;10:227-36 pubmed..We report the isolation and functional analysis of the gene (UBA1) for the ubiquitin-activating enzyme of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae...
- Schafer A, Kuhn M, Schindelin H. Structure of the ubiquitin-activating enzyme loaded with two ubiquitin molecules. Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2014;70:1311-20 pubmed publisherThe activation of ubiquitin by the ubiquitin-activating enzyme Uba1 (E1) constitutes the first step in the covalent modification of target proteins with ubiquitin...
- Misra M, Kuhn M, LÃ¶bel M, An H, Statsyuk A, Sotriffer C, et al. Dissecting the Specificity of Adenosyl Sulfamate Inhibitors Targeting the Ubiquitin-Activating Enzyme. Structure. 2017;25:1120-1129.e3 pubmed publisher..Here, we report crystal structures of the yeast ubiquitin E1 (Uba1) with three adenosyl sulfamate inhibitors exhibiting different E1 specificities, which are all covalently linked to ..
- Moldovan G, Dejsuphong D, Petalcorin M, Hofmann K, Takeda S, Boulton S, et al. Inhibition of homologous recombination by the PCNA-interacting protein PARI. Mol Cell. 2012;45:75-86 pubmed publisher..Thus, we propose that PARI is a long sought-after factor that suppresses inappropriate recombination events at mammalian replication forks...
- Bazirgan O, Hampton R. Cue1p is an activator of Ubc7p E2 activity in vitro and in vivo. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:12797-810 pubmed publisher..Moreover, it suggests a previously unappreciated mode for regulation of E2s by Cue1p-like interacting partners. ..
- Somesh B, Reid J, Liu W, Søgaard T, Erdjument Bromage H, Tempst P, et al. Multiple mechanisms confining RNA polymerase II ubiquitylation to polymerases undergoing transcriptional arrest. Cell. 2005;121:913-23 pubmed..These results identify several mechanisms that confine ubiquitylation of RNAPII to the forms of the enzyme that arrest during elongation. ..
- Forsberg H, Hammar M, Andreasson C, Moliner A, Ljungdahl P. Suppressors of ssy1 and ptr3 null mutations define novel amino acid sensor-independent genes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2001;158:973-88 pubmed..Several of the class II genes (DOA4, UBA1, BRO1, BUL1, RSP5, VPS20, VPS36) encode proteins implicated in controlling aspects of post-Golgi endosomal-vacuolar ..
- Seufert W, McGrath J, Jentsch S. UBC1 encodes a novel member of an essential subfamily of yeast ubiquitin-conjugating enzymes involved in protein degradation. EMBO J. 1990;9:4535-41 pubmed..This specific requirement for UBC1 after a state of quiescence suggests that degradation of certain proteins may be crucial at this transition point in the yeast life cycle. ..