Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: TOM70
Description: protein channel TOM70
Alias: MAS70, MOM72, OMP1, protein channel TOM70
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Papic D, Krumpe K, Dukanovic J, Dimmer K, Rapaport D. Multispan mitochondrial outer membrane protein Ugo1 follows a unique Mim1-dependent import pathway. J Cell Biol. 2011;194:397-405 pubmed publisher..Using a specific insertion assay and analysis by native gel electrophoresis, we show that the import receptor Tom70, but not its partner Tom20, is involved in the initial recognition of the Ugo1 precursor...
- Schmidt O, Harbauer A, Rao S, Eyrich B, Zahedi R, Stojanovski D, et al. Regulation of mitochondrial protein import by cytosolic kinases. Cell. 2011;144:227-39 pubmed publisher..PKA phosphorylates Tom70 under nonrespiring conditions, thereby inhibiting its receptor activity and the import of mitochondrial metabolite ..
- Wu Y, Sha B. Crystal structure of yeast mitochondrial outer membrane translocon member Tom70p. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2006;13:589-93 pubmed..b>Tom70 is a major surface receptor for mitochondrial protein precursors in the TOM complex...
- Böttinger L, Gornicka A, Czerwik T, Bragoszewski P, Loniewska Lwowska A, Schulze Specking A, et al. In vivo evidence for cooperation of Mia40 and Erv1 in the oxidation of mitochondrial proteins. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:3957-69 pubmed publisher..Thus Mia40 in cooperation with Erv1 promotes the formation of two disulfide bonds in the substrate protein, ensuring the efficiency of oxidative folding in the intermembrane space of mitochondria. ..
- Chan N, Lithgow T. The peripheral membrane subunits of the SAM complex function codependently in mitochondrial outer membrane biogenesis. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:126-36 pubmed..Very different environments surround bacteria and mitochondria, and we discuss the role of Sam35 and Sam37 in terms of the problems peculiar to mitochondrial protein substrates. ..
- Hönlinger A, Kubrich M, Moczko M, Gartner F, Mallet L, Bussereau F, et al. The mitochondrial receptor complex: Mom22 is essential for cell viability and directly interacts with preproteins. Mol Cell Biol. 1995;15:3382-9 pubmed..even suppressed the lethal phenotype of a double deletion of the two import receptors known so far (mom19 delta mom72 delta)...
- Rao S, Schmidt O, Harbauer A, Sch nfisch B, Guiard B, Pfanner N, et al. Biogenesis of the preprotein translocase of the outer mitochondrial membrane: protein kinase A phosphorylates the precursor of Tom40 and impairs its import. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:1618-27 pubmed publisher..The major subunits of the TOM complex are the three receptors Tom20, Tom22, and Tom70 and the central channel-forming protein Tom40...
- Gebert N, Joshi A, Kutik S, Becker T, McKenzie M, Guan X, et al. Mitochondrial cardiolipin involved in outer-membrane protein biogenesis: implications for Barth syndrome. Curr Biol. 2009;19:2133-9 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal a new role for cardiolipin in protein sorting at the mitochondrial outer membrane and bear implications for the pathogenesis of Barth syndrome. ..
- Kondo Okamoto N, Shaw J, Okamoto K. Tetratricopeptide repeat proteins Tom70 and Tom71 mediate yeast mitochondrial morphogenesis. EMBO Rep. 2008;9:63-9 pubmed..Here, we show that two tetratricopeptide repeat proteins-the general preprotein import receptor Tom70 (a component of translocase of the outer membrane) and its paralogue Tom71-are required for Mfb1 mitochondrial ..
- Melin J, Kilisch M, Neumann P, Lytovchenko O, Gomkale R, Schendzielorz A, et al. A presequence-binding groove in Tom70 supports import of Mdl1 into mitochondria. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015;1853:1850-9 pubmed publisher..Aside from the well-characterized presequence receptors Tom20 and Tom22 a third TOM receptor, Tom70, binds proteins of the carrier family containing multiple transmembrane segments...
- Horvath S, Böttinger L, Vögtle F, Wiedemann N, Meisinger C, Becker T, et al. Processing and topology of the yeast mitochondrial phosphatidylserine decarboxylase 1. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:36744-55 pubmed publisher..In summary, membrane integration of Psd1 is crucial for its functionality and for maintenance of mitochondrial lipid homeostasis. ..
- Haucke V, Horst M, Schatz G, Lithgow T. The Mas20p and Mas70p subunits of the protein import receptor of yeast mitochondria interact via the tetratricopeptide repeat motif in Mas20p: evidence for a single hetero-oligomeric receptor. EMBO J. 1996;15:1231-7 pubmed..We conclude that the two receptor subcomplexes of the mitochondrial protein import receptor interact in vivo via their Mas20p and Mas70p subunits and that this interaction is functionally important. ..
- Papic D, Elbaz Alon Y, Koerdt S, Leopold K, Worm D, Jung M, et al. The role of Djp1 in import of the mitochondrial protein Mim1 demonstrates specificity between a cochaperone and its substrate protein. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:4083-94 pubmed publisher..Two interesting candidates were the cytosolic cochaperone Djp1 and the mitochondrial import receptor Tom70. Our results indeed demonstrate a direct interaction of newly synthesized Mim1 molecules with Tom70...
- Koh J, Hajek P, Bedwell D. Overproduction of PDR3 suppresses mitochondrial import defects associated with a TOM70 null mutation by increasing the expression of TOM72 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:7576-86 pubmed..network, as a multicopy suppressor of the mitochondrial import defects associated with Delta 1,2 pre-F(1)beta in a tom70 Delta strain...
- Chan N, Likic V, Waller R, Mulhern T, Lithgow T. The C-terminal TPR domain of Tom70 defines a family of mitochondrial protein import receptors found only in animals and fungi. J Mol Biol. 2006;358:1010-22 pubmed..in the outer mitochondrial membrane (TOM complex) consists of multiple components including the receptor subunit Tom70. Genome sequence analyses suggest no Tom70 receptor subunit exists in plants or protozoans, raising questions ..
- Garipler G, Mutlu N, Lack N, Dunn C. Deletion of conserved protein phosphatases reverses defects associated with mitochondrial DNA damage in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:1473-8 pubmed publisher..Our work highlights the important role that nutrient-responsive signaling pathways can play in determining the response to mitochondrial dysfunction. ..
- Gornicka A, Bragoszewski P, Chrościcki P, Wenz L, Schulz C, Rehling P, et al. A discrete pathway for the transfer of intermembrane space proteins across the outer membrane of mitochondria. Mol Biol Cell. 2014;25:3999-4009 pubmed publisher..Thus MIA-dependent proteins take another route across the outer mitochondrial membrane that involves Tom40 in a form that is different from the canonical TOM complex. ..
- Gaikwad A, Cumsky M. The use of chemical cross-linking to identify proteins that interact with a mitochondrial presequence. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:6437-43 pubmed
- Eliyahu E, Lesnik C, Arava Y. The protein chaperone Ssa1 affects mRNA localization to the mitochondria. FEBS Lett. 2012;586:64-9 pubmed publisher..Importantly, deletion of the mitochondrial receptor Tom70 abolished the impact of Ssa1 overexpression on mRNAs encoding Tom70 targets...
- Yamamoto H, Esaki M, Kanamori T, Tamura Y, Nishikawa S, Endo T. Tim50 is a subunit of the TIM23 complex that links protein translocation across the outer and inner mitochondrial membranes. Cell. 2002;111:519-28 pubmed..A translocation intermediate accumulated at the TOM complex is crosslinked to Tim50. We suggest that Tim50, in cooperation with Tim23, facilitates transfer of the translocating protein from the TOM complex to the TIM23 complex ..
- Gratzer S, Lithgow T, Bauer R, Lamping E, Paltauf F, Kohlwein S, et al. Mas37p, a novel receptor subunit for protein import into mitochondria. J Cell Biol. 1995;129:25-34 pubmed
- Hoseini H, Pandey S, Jores T, Schmitt A, Franz Wachtel M, Macek B, et al. The cytosolic cochaperone Sti1 is relevant for mitochondrial biogenesis and morphology. FEBS J. 2016;283:3338-52 pubmed publisher..Moreover, recombinant cytosolic domains of the import receptors Tom20 and Tom70 were able to bind in vitro Sti1 and other cytosolic factors...
- Bohnert M, Wenz L, Zerbes R, Horvath S, Stroud D, von der Malsburg K, et al. Role of mitochondrial inner membrane organizing system in protein biogenesis of the mitochondrial outer membrane. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:3948-56 pubmed publisher..We conclude that MINOS interacts with TOM and SAM independently and that the core subunit mitofilin is involved in biogenesis of outer membrane ?-barrel proteins. ..
- Merklinger E, Gofman Y, Kedrov A, Driessen A, Ben Tal N, Shai Y, et al. Membrane integration of a mitochondrial signal-anchored protein does not require additional proteinaceous factors. Biochem J. 2012;442:381-9 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results suggest that SA proteins are specifically inserted into the MOM by a process that is not dependent on additional proteins, but is rather facilitated by the distinct lipid composition of this membrane. ..
- Brix J, Ziegler G, Dietmeier K, Schneider Mergener J, Schulz G, Pfanner N. The mitochondrial import receptor Tom70: identification of a 25 kDa core domain with a specific binding site for preproteins. J Mol Biol. 2000;303:479-88 pubmedThe mitochondrial import receptor of 70 kDa, Tom70, preferentially recognizes precursors of membrane proteins with internal targeting signals...
- Grandier Vazeille X, Bathany K, Chaignepain S, Camougrand N, Manon S, Schmitter J. Yeast mitochondrial dehydrogenases are associated in a supramolecular complex. Biochemistry. 2001;40:9758-69 pubmed..The association of these proteins is discussed in terms of NADH-channeling. ..
- Beddoe T, Bushell S, Perugini M, Lithgow T, Mulhern T, Bottomley S, et al. A biophysical analysis of the tetratricopeptide repeat-rich mitochondrial import receptor, Tom70, reveals an elongated monomer that is inherently flexible, unstable, and unfolds via a multistate pathway. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:46448-54 pubmed..One receptor, Tom70, binds large, hydrophobic mitochondrial precursors...
- Yoshihisa T, Yunoki Esaki K, Ohshima C, Tanaka N, Endo T. Possibility of cytoplasmic pre-tRNA splicing: the yeast tRNA splicing endonuclease mainly localizes on the mitochondria. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:3266-79 pubmed..It is difficult to explain these results from the view of tRNA splicing in the nucleus. We rather propose a new possibility that tRNA splicing occurs on the mitochondrial surface in yeast. ..
- Dietmeier K, Hönlinger A, Bömer U, Dekker P, Eckerskorn C, Lottspeich F, et al. Tom5 functionally links mitochondrial preprotein receptors to the general import pore. Nature. 1997;388:195-200 pubmed..Tom20-Tom22 and Tom70-Tom37 function as import receptors with a preference for preproteins that have amino-terminal presequences or ..
- Mills R, Trewhella J, Qiu T, Welte T, Ryan T, Hanley T, et al. Domain organization of the monomeric form of the Tom70 mitochondrial import receptor. J Mol Biol. 2009;388:1043-58 pubmed publisherb>Tom70 is a mitochondrial protein import receptor composed of 11 tetratricopeptide repeats (TPRs)...
- Moczko M, Dietmeier K, Sollner T, Segui B, Steger H, Neupert W, et al. Identification of the mitochondrial receptor complex in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. FEBS Lett. 1992;310:265-8 pubmed..In Neurospora crassa, the two import receptors, MOM19 and MOM72, were found in a complex with the general insertion protein, GIP (formed by MOM7, MOM8, MOM30 and MOM38) and MOM22...
- Wu Y, McCombs D, Nagy L, Delucas L, Sha B. Preliminary X-ray crystallographic studies of yeast mitochondrial protein Tom70p. Acta Crystallogr Sect F Struct Biol Cryst Commun. 2006;62:265-7 pubmed..41 A, alpha = 90.00, beta = 102.74, gamma = 90.00 degrees. There are two Tom70p molecules in one asymmetric unit, which corresponds to a solvent content of approximately 51%. Structure determination by MAD methods is under way. ..
- Dye B, Schell K, Miller D, Ahlquist P. Detecting protein-protein interaction in live yeast by flow cytometry. Cytometry A. 2005;63:77-86 pubmed..Its application to yeast presents a new method to a popular system widely used in proteomic studies. ..