Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: TFG1
Description: transcription factor IIF subunit TFG1
Alias: RAP74, SSU71, transcription factor IIF subunit TFG1
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Henry N, Campbell A, Feaver W, Poon D, Weil P, Kornberg R. TFIIF-TAF-RNA polymerase II connection. Genes Dev. 1994;8:2868-78 pubmed..This yeast protein, previously designated factor g, contains two subunits, Tfg1 and Tfg2, both of which are required for transcription, essential for yeast cell viability, and whose sequences ..
- Kim Y, Bjorklund S, Li Y, Sayre M, Kornberg R. A multiprotein mediator of transcriptional activation and its interaction with the C-terminal repeat domain of RNA polymerase II. Cell. 1994;77:599-608 pubmed..The holoenzyme proved to consist of mediator associated with core 12-subunit RNA polymerase II. ..
- Reinberg D, Orphanides G, Ebright R, Akoulitchev S, Carcamo J, Cho H, et al. The RNA polymerase II general transcription factors: past, present, and future. Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol. 1998;63:83-103 pubmed
- Ohtsuki K, Kasahara K, Shirahige K, Kokubo T. Genome-wide localization analysis of a complete set of Tafs reveals a specific effect of the taf1 mutation on Taf2 occupancy and provides indirect evidence for different TFIID conformations at different promoters. Nucleic Acids Res. 2010;38:1805-20 pubmed publisher..Here, we examine the localization profiles of a complete set of Tafs, Gcn5, Bur6/Ncb2, Sua7, Tfa2, Tfg1, Tfb3 and Rpb1, on chromosomes III, IV and V by chromatin immunoprecipitation (ChIP)-chip analysis in wild-type and ..
- Sayre M, Tschochner H, Kornberg R. Reconstitution of transcription with five purified initiation factors and RNA polymerase II from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:23376-82 pubmed..TFIIA failed to substitute for any purified factor or to stimulate transcription with the complete set of factors, indicating that its function in crude extracts is primarily as an anti-inhibitor. ..
- Wade P, Jaehning J. Transcriptional corepression in vitro: a Mot1p-associated form of TATA-binding protein is required for repression by Leu3p. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:1641-8 pubmed..In addition, a mutation in the Mot1 gene leads to partial derepression of the Leu3p-dependent LEU2 promoter. These in vivo and in vitro observations define a role for Mot1p as a transcriptional corepressor. ..
- Kops O, Zhou X, Lu K. Pin1 modulates the dephosphorylation of the RNA polymerase II C-terminal domain by yeast Fcp1. FEBS Lett. 2002;513:305-11 pubmed..Together, our results indicate a new role for Pin1 in the regulation of CTD phosphorylation and present a further example for prolyl isomerization-dependent protein dephosphorylation. ..
- Ishibashi T, Dangkulwanich M, Coello Y, Lionberger T, Lubkowska L, Ponticelli A, et al. Transcription factors IIS and IIF enhance transcription efficiency by differentially modifying RNA polymerase pausing dynamics. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:3419-24 pubmed publisher..Our findings help elucidate the molecular mechanisms by which transcription factors modulate gene expression...
- Schulze J, Kane C, Ruiz Manzano A. The YEATS domain of Taf14 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae has a negative impact on cell growth. Mol Genet Genomics. 2010;283:365-80 pubmed publisher..Thus, this highly conserved domain should be considered part of a negative regulatory loop in cell growth. ..
- Takagi Y, Calero G, Komori H, Brown J, Ehrensberger A, Hudmon A, et al. Head module control of mediator interactions. Mol Cell. 2006;23:355-64 pubmed..The head module evidently controls Mediator-RNA polymerase II and Mediator-promoter interactions. ..
- Wade P, Werel W, Fentzke R, Thompson N, Leykam J, Burgess R, et al. A novel collection of accessory factors associated with yeast RNA polymerase II. Protein Expr Purif. 1996;8:85-90 pubmed..Shi et al., Mol. Cell. Biol., 1996 16, 669-676). The RAP fraction may therefore define one or more functional forms of RNA polymerase II distinct from the activator-mediating holoenzyme. ..
- Archambault J, Chambers R, Kobor M, Ho Y, Cartier M, Bolotin D, et al. An essential component of a C-terminal domain phosphatase that interacts with transcription factor IIF in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:14300-5 pubmed..is localized to the nucleus, and it binds the largest subunit of the yeast general transcription factor IIF (Tfg1)...
- Kasahara K, Ohyama Y, Kokubo T. Hmo1 directs pre-initiation complex assembly to an appropriate site on its target gene promoters by masking a nucleosome-free region. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:4136-50 pubmed publisher..This novel mechanism ensures accurate transcriptional initiation by delineating the 5'- and 3'-boundaries of the PIC assembly zone. ..
- Kvint K, Uhler J, Taschner M, Sigurdsson S, Erdjument Bromage H, Tempst P, et al. Reversal of RNA polymerase II ubiquitylation by the ubiquitin protease Ubp3. Mol Cell. 2008;30:498-506 pubmed publisher..In agreement with this, cells with compromised DNA repair are better equipped to survive UV damage when UPB3 is deleted. ..
- Myer V, Young R. RNA polymerase II holoenzymes and subcomplexes. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:27757-60 pubmed
- Chen H, Hahn S. Mapping the location of TFIIB within the RNA polymerase II transcription preinitiation complex: a model for the structure of the PIC. Cell. 2004;119:169-80 pubmed..The TFIIF subunit Tfg1 was found in close proximity to the TFIIB B finger, linker, and core domains, suggesting that these two factors ..
- Felberbaum R, Wilson N, Cheng D, Peng J, Hochstrasser M. Desumoylation of the endoplasmic reticulum membrane VAP family protein Scs2 by Ulp1 and SUMO regulation of the inositol synthesis pathway. Mol Cell Biol. 2012;32:64-75 pubmed publisher..These results provide the first evidence of cross-regulation between the SUMO and inositol pathways, including the sumoylation of an ER membrane protein central to phospholipid synthesis and phosphoinositide signaling...
- Kilpatrick A, Koharudin L, Calero G, Gronenborn A. Structural and binding studies of the C-terminal domains of yeast TFIIF subunits Tfg1 and Tfg2. Proteins. 2012;80:519-29 pubmed publisher..Here, we describe the first NMR structural and binding studies of the C-terminal domains (CTDs) of Tfg1 and Tfg2 subunits of Saccharomyces cerevisiae TFIIF...
- Yang C, Khaperskyy D, Hou M, Ponticelli A. Improved methods for expression and purification of Saccharomyces cerevisiae TFIIF and TFIIH; identification of a functional Escherichia coli promoter and internal translation initiation within the N-terminal coding region of the TFIIF TFG1 subunit. Protein Expr Purif. 2010;70:172-8 pubmed publisher..by difficulties in the purification of TFIIF and TFIIH, most notably due to the severe toxicity of the TFIIF Tfg1 subunit in Escherichia coli and the complexity of the purification scheme for native TFIIH...
- Rani P, Ranish J, Hahn S. RNA polymerase II (Pol II)-TFIIF and Pol II-mediator complexes: the major stable Pol II complexes and their activity in transcription initiation and reinitiation. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:1709-20 pubmed..These results suggest that both the Pol II-Med and Pol II-TFIIF complexes can be recruited for transcription initiation but that only the Pol II-TFIIF complex is competent for transcription reinitiation. ..
- Kobor M, Simon L, Omichinski J, Zhong G, Archambault J, Greenblatt J. A motif shared by TFIIF and TFIIB mediates their interaction with the RNA polymerase II carboxy-terminal domain phosphatase Fcp1p in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:7438-49 pubmed..to the first cyclin-like repeat in the core domain of the general transcription factor TFIIB, as well as to the RAP74 subunit of TFIIF...
- Schweikhard V, Meng C, Murakami K, Kaplan C, Kornberg R, Block S. Transcription factors TFIIF and TFIIS promote transcript elongation by RNA polymerase II by synergistic and independent mechanisms. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:6642-7 pubmed publisher..Overall, these experiments provide additional insights into how obstacles to transcription may be overcome by the concerted actions of multiple accessory factors. ..