Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: TFB1
Description: TFIIH/NER complex subunit TFB1
Alias: TFIIH/NER complex subunit TFB1
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Kim M, Suh H, Cho E, Buratowski S. Phosphorylation of the yeast Rpb1 C-terminal domain at serines 2, 5, and 7. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:26421-6 pubmed publisher..The basal factor TFIIH can phosphorylate Ser-7 in vitro and is necessary for Ser-7(P) in vivo. Interestingly, deletion of the CTD Ser-5(P) phosphatase Rtr1 leads to an increase in Ser-5(P) but not Ser-7(P). ..
- Akhtar M, Heidemann M, Tietjen J, Zhang D, Chapman R, Eick D, et al. TFIIH kinase places bivalent marks on the carboxy-terminal domain of RNA polymerase II. Mol Cell. 2009;34:387-93 pubmed publisher..These bivalent CTD marks, in concert with cues within nascent transcripts, specify the cotranscriptional engagement of the relevant RNA processing machinery. ..
- Ranish J, Hahn S, Lu Y, Yi E, Li X, Eng J, et al. Identification of TFB5, a new component of general transcription and DNA repair factor IIH. Nat Genet. 2004;36:707-13 pubmed..The identification of a new, evolutionarily conserved, core TFIIH subunit is essential for our understanding of TFIIH function in transcription, DNA repair and human disease. ..
- Estruch F, Cole C. An early function during transcription for the yeast mRNA export factor Dbp5p/Rat8p suggested by its genetic and physical interactions with transcription factor IIH components. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:1664-76 pubmed..Together, our results suggest a nuclear role for Dbp5 during the early steps of transcription. ..
- Svejstrup J, Feaver W, Kornberg R. Subunits of yeast RNA polymerase II transcription factor TFIIH encoded by the CCL1 gene. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:643-5 pubmed..In all likelihood, these two subunits individually form cyclin-dependent kinase/cyclin dimers with Kin28 protein, a key enzyme in phosphorylation of the C-terminal domain of RNA polymerase II concomitant with transcription. ..
- Luo J, Cimermancic P, Viswanath S, Ebmeier C, Kim B, Dehecq M, et al. Architecture of the Human and Yeast General Transcription and DNA Repair Factor TFIIH. Mol Cell. 2015;59:794-806 pubmed publisher..We show that one of these conserved regions, the p62/Tfb1 Anchor region, directly interacts with the DNA helicase subunit XPD/Rad3 in native TFIIH and is required for the ..
- Bardwell L, Bardwell A, Feaver W, Svejstrup J, Kornberg R, Friedberg E. Yeast RAD3 protein binds directly to both SSL2 and SSL1 proteins: implications for the structure and function of transcription/repair factor b. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:3926-30 pubmed..We have recently demonstrated that the RAD3 gene product along with the SSL1 and TFB1 gene products are subunits of RNA polymerase II basal transcription factor b...
- Chang W, Kornberg R. Electron crystal structure of the transcription factor and DNA repair complex, core TFIIH. Cell. 2000;102:609-13 pubmed..The structure is based on a ring of three subunits, Tfb1, Tfb2, and Tfb3, to which are appended several functional moieties: Rad3, bridged to Tfb1 by SsI1; SsI2, known to ..
- Murakami K, Gibbons B, Davis R, Nagai S, Liu X, Robinson P, et al. Tfb6, a previously unidentified subunit of the general transcription factor TFIIH, facilitates dissociation of Ssl2 helicase after transcription initiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:4816-21 pubmed publisher..Tfb6 does not, however, dissociate Ssl2 from TFIIH in the context of a fully assembled transcription preinitiation complex. Our findings suggest a dynamic state of Ssl2, allowing its engagement in multiple cellular processes. ..
- Wang Z, Buratowski S, Svejstrup J, Feaver W, Wu X, Kornberg R, et al. The yeast TFB1 and SSL1 genes, which encode subunits of transcription factor IIH, are required for nucleotide excision repair and RNA polymerase II transcription. Mol Cell Biol. 1995;15:2288-93 pubmedThe essential TFB1 and SSL1 genes of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae encode two subunits of the RNA polymerase II transcription factor TFIIH (factor b)...
- Guzder S, Sung P, Prakash L, Prakash S. Nucleotide excision repair in yeast is mediated by sequential assembly of repair factors and not by a pre-assembled repairosome. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:8903-10 pubmed..In the reconstituted NER system, a higher level of incision of UV-damaged DNA is achieved with the Rad1-Rad10-Rad14 complex, which we designate as nucleotide excision repair factor-1, NEF-1. ..
- Lafrance Vanasse J, Arseneault G, Cappadocia L, Legault P, Omichinski J. Structural and functional evidence that Rad4 competes with Rad2 for binding to the Tfb1 subunit of TFIIH in NER. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013;41:2736-45 pubmed publisher..transcription faction IIH (TFIIH) to the nucleotide excision repair (NER) complex through interactions with its p62/Tfb1 and XPB/Ssl2 subunits...
- Tomko E, Fishburn J, Hahn S, Galburt E. TFIIH generates a six-base-pair open complex during RNAP II transcription initiation and start-site scanning. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2017;24:1139-1145 pubmed publisher..These observations support a two-step model wherein ATP-dependent Ssl2 translocation leads to a 6-bp open complex that RNA polymerase II expands via NTP-dependent RNA transcription. ..
- Rodriguez K, Talamantez J, Huang W, Reed S, Wang Z, Chen L, et al. Affinity purification and partial characterization of a yeast multiprotein complex for nucleotide excision repair using histidine-tagged Rad14 protein. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:34180-9 pubmed..The affinity purified NER complex catalyzed the incision of UV-irradiated DNA in an ATP-dependent reaction. We conclude that active high molecular weight complexes of NER proteins exist in undamaged yeast cells. ..
- Habraken Y, Sung P, Prakash S, Prakash L. Transcription factor TFIIH and DNA endonuclease Rad2 constitute yeast nucleotide excision repair factor 3: implications for nucleotide excision repair and Cockayne syndrome. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:10718-22 pubmed..Our findings are important for understanding the manner of assembly of the NER machinery and they have implications for Cockayne syndrome. ..
- Peiró Chova L, Estruch F. Specific defects in different transcription complexes compensate for the requirement of the negative cofactor 2 repressor in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2007;176:125-38 pubmed
- Yang C, Khaperskyy D, Hou M, Ponticelli A. Improved methods for expression and purification of Saccharomyces cerevisiae TFIIF and TFIIH; identification of a functional Escherichia coli promoter and internal translation initiation within the N-terminal coding region of the TFIIF TFG1 subunit. Protein Expr Purif. 2010;70:172-8 pubmed publisher..We also report conditions for the efficient two-step tandem affinity purification (TAP) of holo-TFIIH, core TFIIH and TFIIK complexes from yeast whole cell extracts. ..
- Gibbons B, Brignole E, Azubel M, Murakami K, Voss N, Bushnell D, et al. Subunit architecture of general transcription factor TFIIH. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:1949-54 pubmed publisher..Consistency among all the structures establishes the location of the "minimal core" subunits (Ssl1, Tfb1, Tfb2, Tfb4, and Tfb5), and additional densities can be specifically attributed to Rad3, Ssl2, and the TFIIK trimer...
- Warfield L, Luo J, Ranish J, Hahn S. Function of Conserved Topological Regions within the Saccharomyces cerevisiae Basal Transcription Factor TFIIH. Mol Cell Biol. 2016;36:2464-75 pubmed publisher..Our cross-linking results suggest that Tfb3 and Rad3 have an unusual interface, with Tfb3 binding on two opposite faces of the Arch. ..
- Svejstrup J, Feaver W, Lapointe J, Kornberg R. RNA polymerase transcription factor IIH holoenzyme from yeast. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:28044-8 pubmed..By contrast, core TFIIH is inert in both C-terminal repeat domain kinase and reconstituted transcription assays. ..
- Feaver W, Svejstrup J, Henry N, Kornberg R. Relationship of CDK-activating kinase and RNA polymerase II CTD kinase TFIIH/TFIIK. Cell. 1994;79:1103-9 pubmed..We show that human CAK possesses the CTD kinase activity characteristic of TFIIH. ..
- Takagi Y, Masuda C, Chang W, Komori H, Wang D, Hunter T, et al. Ubiquitin ligase activity of TFIIH and the transcriptional response to DNA damage. Mol Cell. 2005;18:237-43 pubmed..Rather, it correlates with reduced transcriptional induction of genes involved in DNA repair, suggesting that the E3 Ub ligase activity of TFIIH mediates the transcriptional response to DNA damage. ..
- Guzder S, Bailly V, Sung P, Prakash L, Prakash S. Yeast DNA repair protein RAD23 promotes complex formation between transcription factor TFIIH and DNA damage recognition factor RAD14. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:8385-8 pubmed..Here, we demonstrate a higher order complex consisting of TFIIH, RAD14, and another NER protein RAD23, and complex formation between TFIIH and RAD14 is facilitated by the RAD23 protein. ..
- Pearson A, Greenblatt J. Modular organization of the E2F1 activation domain and its interaction with general transcription factors TBP and TFIIH. Oncogene. 1997;15:2643-58 pubmed..We propose that competition between Rb and both TBP and TFIIH for binding to E2F1 is a mechanism by which Rb inhibits transactivation by E2F1. ..
- Keogh M, Cho E, Podolny V, Buratowski S. Kin28 is found within TFIIH and a Kin28-Ccl1-Tfb3 trimer complex with differential sensitivities to T-loop phosphorylation. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:1288-97 pubmed..Surprisingly, these phosphorylation site mutants appear to destabilize the association of the cyclin subunit within the context of TFIIH but not within the trimer complex. ..