Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: TAF14
Description: TATA-binding protein-associated factor TAF14
Alias: ANC1, SWP29, TAF30, TFG3, TATA-binding protein-associated factor TAF14
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Garbett K, Tripathi M, Cencki B, Layer J, Weil P. Yeast TFIID serves as a coactivator for Rap1p by direct protein-protein interaction. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:297-311 pubmed..We conclude that Rap1p and TFIID directly interact and that this interaction contributes importantly to RP gene transcription. ..
- Mizuguchi G, Shen X, Landry J, Wu W, Sen S, Wu C. ATP-driven exchange of histone H2AZ variant catalyzed by SWR1 chromatin remodeling complex. Science. 2004;303:343-8 pubmed..These findings define a previously unknown role for the adenosine triphosphate-dependent chromatin remodeling machinery. ..
- Shen X, Ranallo R, Choi E, Wu C. Involvement of actin-related proteins in ATP-dependent chromatin remodeling. Mol Cell. 2003;12:147-55 pubmed..GST-Arp8 binds preferentially to histones H3 and H4 in vitro, suggesting a histone chaperone function. These findings show direct involvement of Arps in the chromatin-remodeling process. ..
- Neely K, Hassan A, Brown C, Howe L, Workman J. Transcription activator interactions with multiple SWI/SNF subunits. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:1615-25 pubmed..Thus, three distinct subunits of the SWI/SNF complex contribute to its interactions with activation domains. ..
- Henry N, Campbell A, Feaver W, Poon D, Weil P, Kornberg R. TFIIF-TAF-RNA polymerase II connection. Genes Dev. 1994;8:2868-78 pubmed..Remarkably, the TFG3 gene encodes yeast TAF30, and furthermore, is identical to ANC1, a gene implicated in actin cytoskeletal function in vivo (Welch and Drubin ..
- Poon D, Bai Y, Campbell A, Bjorklund S, Kim Y, Zhou S, et al. Identification and characterization of a TFIID-like multiprotein complex from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:8224-8 pubmed..In addition, by constructing null alleles of the cloned TAF-encoding genes, we show that normal function of the TAF-encoding genes is essential for yeast cell viability. ..
- Fish R, Ammerman M, Davie J, Lu B, Pham C, Howe L, et al. Genetic interactions between TFIIF and TFIIS. Genetics. 2006;173:1871-84 pubmed..Disruptions of PPR2 are lethal in conjunction with a disruption in the nonessential gene TAF14/TFG3...
- Dechassa M, Zhang B, Horowitz Scherer R, Persinger J, Woodcock C, Peterson C, et al. Architecture of the SWI/SNF-nucleosome complex. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:6010-21 pubmed publisher..The highly conserved Snf5 subunit associates with the histone octamer and not with nucleosomal DNA. The model of the binding trough of SWI/SNF illustrates how nucleosomal DNA can be mobilized while SWI/SNF remains bound. ..
- Howe L, Kusch T, Muster N, Chaterji R, Yates J, Workman J. Yng1p modulates the activity of Sas3p as a component of the yeast NuA3 Hhistone acetyltransferase complex. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:5047-53 pubmed
- Cairns B, Henry N, Kornberg R. TFG/TAF30/ANC1, a component of the yeast SWI/SNF complex that is similar to the leukemogenic proteins ENL and AF-9. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:3308-16 pubmed..Here we show that the 29-kDa component of the SWI/SNF complex is identical to TFG3/TAF30/ANC1. Thus, a component of the SWI/SNF complex is also a member of the TFIIF and TFIID transcription complexes...
- John S, Howe L, Tafrov S, Grant P, Sternglanz R, Workman J. The something about silencing protein, Sas3, is the catalytic subunit of NuA3, a yTAF(II)30-containing HAT complex that interacts with the Spt16 subunit of the yeast CP (Cdc68/Pob3)-FACT complex. Genes Dev. 2000;14:1196-208 pubmed..This interaction suggests that the NuA3 complex might function in concert with FACT-CP to stimulate transcription or replication elongation through nucleosomes by providing a coupled acetyltransferase activity. ..
- Papai G, Tripathi M, Ruhlmann C, Werten S, Crucifix C, Weil P, et al. Mapping the initiator binding Taf2 subunit in the structure of hydrated yeast TFIID. Structure. 2009;17:363-73 pubmed publisher..Mapping the position of this crucial subunit in the vicinity of Taf1p and of TBP sheds new light on its role in promoter recognition. ..
- Smith C, Horowitz Scherer R, Flanagan J, Woodcock C, Peterson C. Structural analysis of the yeast SWI/SNF chromatin remodeling complex. Nat Struct Biol. 2003;10:141-5 pubmed..We also report a three-dimensional reconstruction of yeast SWI/SNF derived from electron micrographs. ..
- Lee Y, Park J, Min S, Han S, Kim Y. An activator binding module of yeast RNA polymerase II holoenzyme. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:2967-76 pubmed
- Zhang Y, Smith C, Saha A, Grill S, Mihardja S, Smith S, et al. DNA translocation and loop formation mechanism of chromatin remodeling by SWI/SNF and RSC. Mol Cell. 2006;24:559-68 pubmed..Such loop formation may provide a molecular basis for the biological functions of remodelers. ..
- Desany B, Alcasabas A, Bachant J, Elledge S. Recovery from DNA replicational stress is the essential function of the S-phase checkpoint pathway. Genes Dev. 1998;12:2956-70 pubmed..We propose that this checkpoint pathway plays an important role in the maintenance of DNA synthetic capabilities when DNA replication is stressed. ..
- Andrews F, Shinsky S, Shanle E, Bridgers J, Gest A, Tsun I, et al. The Taf14 YEATS domain is a reader of histone crotonylation. Nat Chem Biol. 2016;12:396-8 pubmed publisher..We show that the Taf14 YEATS domain engages crotonyllysine via a unique ?-?-?-stacking mechanism and that other YEATS domains have ..
- Feigerle J, Weil P. The C Terminus of the RNA Polymerase II Transcription Factor IID (TFIID) Subunit Taf2 Mediates Stable Association of Subunit Taf14 into the Yeast TFIID Complex. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:22721-22740 pubmed..display growth defects that can be strongly suppressed by overexpression of the yeast-specific TFIID subunit TAF14 but not by overexpression of any other TFIID subunit...
- Sanders S, Weil P. Identification of two novel TAF subunits of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae TFIID complex. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:13895-900 pubmed..TAF complexes. The significance of these results in terms of TFIID structure, function, and organization is discussed. ..
- Takagi Y, Calero G, Komori H, Brown J, Ehrensberger A, Hudmon A, et al. Head module control of mediator interactions. Mol Cell. 2006;23:355-64 pubmed..The head module evidently controls Mediator-RNA polymerase II and Mediator-promoter interactions. ..
- Dasgupta A, Juedes S, Sprouse R, Auble D. Mot1-mediated control of transcription complex assembly and activity. EMBO J. 2005;24:1717-29 pubmed..We suggest that at activated promoters, Mot1 disassembles transcriptionally inactive TBP, thereby facilitating the formation of a TBP complex that supports functional PIC assembly. ..
- Kapoor P, Chen M, Winkler D, Luger K, Shen X. Evidence for monomeric actin function in INO80 chromatin remodeling. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2013;20:426-32 pubmed publisher..Our results establish an evolutionarily conserved function of nuclear actin in its monomeric form and suggest that nuclear actin can utilize a fundamentally distinct mechanism from that of cytoplasmic actin. ..
- Ohtsuki K, Kasahara K, Shirahige K, Kokubo T. Genome-wide localization analysis of a complete set of Tafs reveals a specific effect of the taf1 mutation on Taf2 occupancy and provides indirect evidence for different TFIID conformations at different promoters. Nucleic Acids Res. 2010;38:1805-20 pubmed publisher
- Sayre M, Tschochner H, Kornberg R. Reconstitution of transcription with five purified initiation factors and RNA polymerase II from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:23376-82 pubmed..TFIIA failed to substitute for any purified factor or to stimulate transcription with the complete set of factors, indicating that its function in crude extracts is primarily as an anti-inhibitor. ..
- Kapoor P, Bao Y, Xiao J, Luo J, Shen J, Persinger J, et al. Regulation of Mec1 kinase activity by the SWI/SNF chromatin remodeling complex. Genes Dev. 2015;29:591-602 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings identify a novel regulator of Mec1 kinase activity and suggest that ATP-dependent chromatin remodeling complexes can regulate nonchromatin substrates such as a checkpoint kinase. ..
- Nemet J, Vidan N, Sopta M. A meta-analysis reveals complex regulatory properties at Taf14-repressed genes. BMC Genomics. 2017;18:175 pubmed publisher..b>Taf14 is a YEATS domain protein in S...
- Yao W, Beckwith S, Zheng T, Young T, Dinh V, Ranjan A, et al. Assembly of the Arp5 (Actin-related Protein) Subunit Involved in Distinct INO80 Chromatin Remodeling Activities. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:25700-9 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results define the requirements of Arp5-Ies6 assembly, which are needed to couple ATP hydrolysis to productive nucleosome movement. ..
- Schulze J, Kane C, Ruiz Manzano A. The YEATS domain of Taf14 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae has a negative impact on cell growth. Mol Genet Genomics. 2010;283:365-80 pubmed publisherThe role of a highly conserved YEATS protein motif is explored in the context of the Taf14 protein of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. In S...
- Smart S, Mackintosh S, Edmondson R, Taverna S, Tackett A. Mapping the local protein interactome of the NuA3 histone acetyltransferase. Protein Sci. 2009;18:1987-97 pubmed publisher..These novel, physical associations with yFACT, RSC, and Nap1 provide insight into the mechanism of NuA3-associated transcription and chromatin regulation. ..
- Rani P, Ranish J, Hahn S. RNA polymerase II (Pol II)-TFIIF and Pol II-mediator complexes: the major stable Pol II complexes and their activity in transcription initiation and reinitiation. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:1709-20 pubmed..These results suggest that both the Pol II-Med and Pol II-TFIIF complexes can be recruited for transcription initiation but that only the Pol II-TFIIF complex is competent for transcription reinitiation. ..
- Wade P, Jaehning J. Transcriptional corepression in vitro: a Mot1p-associated form of TATA-binding protein is required for repression by Leu3p. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:1641-8 pubmed..In addition, a mutation in the Mot1 gene leads to partial derepression of the Leu3p-dependent LEU2 promoter. These in vivo and in vitro observations define a role for Mot1p as a transcriptional corepressor. ..
- Nourani A, Howe L, Pray Grant M, Workman J, Grant P, Cote J. Opposite role of yeast ING family members in p53-dependent transcriptional activation. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:19171-5 pubmed..They also demonstrate the key specific role of ING proteins in different chromatin modifying complexes and their opposite functions in p53-dependent transcription. ..
- Chung W, Craighead J, Chang W, Ezeokonkwo C, Bareket Samish A, Kornberg R, et al. RNA polymerase II/TFIIF structure and conserved organization of the initiation complex. Mol Cell. 2003;12:1003-13 pubmed..The structure of the RNAPII/TFIIF complex suggests a model for the organization of a minimal transcription initiation complex. ..
- Klebanow E, Poon D, Zhou S, Weil P. Isolation and characterization of TAF25, an essential yeast gene that encodes an RNA polymerase II-specific TATA-binding protein-associated factor. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:13706-15 pubmed..Hence the protein encoded by TAF25 has been termed yTAFII25. ..
- Neely K, Hassan A, Wallberg A, Steger D, Cairns B, Wright A, et al. Activation domain-mediated targeting of the SWI/SNF complex to promoters stimulates transcription from nucleosome arrays. Mol Cell. 1999;4:649-55 pubmed..The similarity of activation domain interactions and transcriptional stimulation between SWI/SNF and the SAGA histone acetyltransferase complex may account for their apparent overlapping functions in vivo. ..
- Mencia M, Struhl K. Region of yeast TAF 130 required for TFIID to associate with promoters. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:1145-54 pubmed..These results suggest that the C-terminal region of TAF130 is required for TFIID to associate with promoters. ..
- Sanders S, Garbett K, Weil P. Molecular characterization of Saccharomyces cerevisiae TFIID. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:6000-13 pubmed..The results of direct biochemical exchange experiments confirmed this hypothesis. Together, our results represent a concise molecular characterization of the general transcription factor TFIID from S. cerevisiae. ..
- Yao W, King D, Beckwith S, Gowans G, Yen K, Zhou C, et al. The INO80 Complex Requires the Arp5-Ies6 Subcomplex for Chromatin Remodeling and Metabolic Regulation. Mol Cell Biol. 2016;36:979-91 pubmed publisher..Our results illustrate the dynamic nature of the INO80 complex assembly and demonstrate for the first time that a chromatin remodeler regulates glycolytic and respiratory capacity, thereby maintaining metabolic stability. ..
- Gilbert T, McDaniel S, Byrum S, Cades J, Dancy B, Wade H, et al. A PWWP domain-containing protein targets the NuA3 acetyltransferase complex via histone H3 lysine 36 trimethylation to coordinate transcriptional elongation at coding regions. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2014;13:2883-95 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these studies define a new form of the NuA3 complex that associates with H3K36me3 to effect transcriptional elongation. MS data are available via ProteomeXchange with identifier PXD001156. ..
- Zhang W, Zhang J, Zhang X, Xu C, Tu X. Solution structure of the Taf14 YEATS domain and its roles in cell growth of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochem J. 2011;436:83-90 pubmed publisher..b>Taf14, which is involved in a few protein complexes of chromatin remodelling and gene transcription, and is essential ..
- Moqtaderi Z, Keaveney M, Struhl K. The histone H3-like TAF is broadly required for transcription in yeast. Mol Cell. 1998;2:675-82 pubmed
- Fischer C, Saha A, Cairns B. Kinetic model for the ATP-dependent translocation of Saccharomyces cerevisiae RSC along double-stranded DNA. Biochemistry. 2007;46:12416-26 pubmed..These results are further discussed in the context of previously published studies of RSC and other DNA translocases. ..
- Watanabe S, Tan D, Lakshminarasimhan M, Washburn M, Hong E, Walz T, et al. Structural analyses of the chromatin remodelling enzymes INO80-C and SWR-C. Nat Commun. 2015;6:7108 pubmed publisher..In contrast, the Ies6/Arp5 module is essential for INO80-C remodelling, and furthermore this module controls conformational changes that may couple nucleosome binding to remodelling. ..
- Auty R, Steen H, Myers L, Persinger J, Bartholomew B, Gygi S, et al. Purification of active TFIID from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Extensive promoter contacts and co-activator function. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:49973-81 pubmed..TFIID supports basal transcription and activated transcription, both of which are enhanced by TFIIA. ..
- Dechassa M, Hota S, Sen P, Chatterjee N, Prasad P, Bartholomew B. Disparity in the DNA translocase domains of SWI/SNF and ISW2. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:4412-21 pubmed publisher..These differences are likely mediated through interactions with the histone surface. The placement of SWI/SNF between the octamer and DNA could make it easier to disrupt histone-DNA interactions. ..
- Lia G, Praly E, Ferreira H, Stockdale C, Tse Dinh Y, Dunlap D, et al. Direct observation of DNA distortion by the RSC complex. Mol Cell. 2006;21:417-25 pubmed..These observations support the idea that the ATPase motors of the Snf2 family of proteins act as DNA translocases specialized to generate transient distortions in DNA structure. ..
- Shanle E, Andrews F, Meriesh H, McDaniel S, Dronamraju R, DiFiore J, et al. Association of Taf14 with acetylated histone H3 directs gene transcription and the DNA damage response. Genes Dev. 2015;29:1795-800 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that the YEATS domain of Taf14, a member of key transcriptional and chromatin-modifying complexes in yeast, is a selective reader of histone H3 ..
- Taverna S, Ilin S, Rogers R, Tanny J, Lavender H, Li H, et al. Yng1 PHD finger binding to H3 trimethylated at K4 promotes NuA3 HAT activity at K14 of H3 and transcription at a subset of targeted ORFs. Mol Cell. 2006;24:785-796 pubmed publisher..Our data support a general mechanism of transcriptional control through which histone acetylation upstream of gene activation is promoted partially through availability of H3K4me3, "read" by binding modules in select subunits. ..
- Wade P, Werel W, Fentzke R, Thompson N, Leykam J, Burgess R, et al. A novel collection of accessory factors associated with yeast RNA polymerase II. Protein Expr Purif. 1996;8:85-90 pubmed..Shi et al., Mol. Cell. Biol., 1996 16, 669-676). The RAP fraction may therefore define one or more functional forms of RNA polymerase II distinct from the activator-mediating holoenzyme. ..
- Sen P, Ghosh S, Pugh B, Bartholomew B. A new, highly conserved domain in Swi2/Snf2 is required for SWI/SNF remodeling. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:9155-66 pubmed publisher..The SnAC domain positively regulates the catalytic activity of the ATPase domain of SWI/SNF to hydrolyze ATP without significantly affecting its affinity for ATP. ..
- Bai Y, Perez G, Beechem J, Weil P. Structure-function analysis of TAF130: identification and characterization of a high-affinity TATA-binding protein interaction domain in the N terminus of yeast TAF(II)130. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:3081-93 pubmed..Moreover, we found that the N-terminal domain of yTAF(II)130 actively dissociated TBP from TATA box-containing DNA. ..
- Gangloff Y, Sanders S, Romier C, Kirschner D, Weil P, Tora L, et al. Histone folds mediate selective heterodimerization of yeast TAF(II)25 with TFIID components yTAF(II)47 and yTAF(II)65 and with SAGA component ySPT7. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:1841-53 pubmed..Furthermore, our results indicate that ySPT7 has an HFD homologous to that of yTAF(II)47 which selectively heterodimerizes with yTAF(II)25, defining a novel histone-like pair in the SAGA complex. ..
- Krajewski W, Reese J. SET domains of histone methyltransferases recognize ISWI-remodeled nucleosomal species. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:552-64 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals novel insights into the mechanism of how SET domains recognize different chromatin states and specify histone methylation at active loci. ..
- Poon D, Campbell A, Bai Y, Weil P. Yeast Taf170 is encoded by MOT1 and exists in a TATA box-binding protein (TBP)-TBP-associated factor complex distinct from transcription factor IID. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:23135-40 pubmed..The significance of this unique TBP-Taf170 complex regarding transcriptional regulation is discussed. ..
- Smith C, Peterson C. Coupling tandem affinity purification and quantitative tyrosine iodination to determine subunit stoichiometry of protein complexes. Methods. 2003;31:104-9 pubmed