Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SWD2
Description: WD-repeat containing protein SWD2
Alias: CPS35, SAF37, WD-repeat containing protein SWD2
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Dheur S, Nykamp K, Viphakone N, Swanson M, Minvielle Sebastia L. Yeast mRNA Poly(A) tail length control can be reconstituted in vitro in the absence of Pab1p-dependent Poly(A) nuclease activity. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:24532-8 pubmed..Based on these findings, we propose that Nab2p is necessary and sufficient to regulate poly(A) tail length during de novo synthesis in yeast. ..
- Miller T, Krogan N, Dover J, Erdjument Bromage H, Tempst P, Johnston M, et al. COMPASS: a complex of proteins associated with a trithorax-related SET domain protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:12902-7 pubmed..Molecular characterization of trithorax complexes will facilitate defining the role of this class of proteins in the regulation of gene expression and how their misregulation results in the development of human cancer. ..
- Li S, Swanson S, Gogol M, Florens L, Washburn M, Workman J, et al. Serine and SAM Responsive Complex SESAME Regulates Histone Modification Crosstalk by Sensing Cellular Metabolism. Mol Cell. 2015;60:408-21 pubmed publisher..This leads to auto-regulation of PYK1 expression. Thus, our study provides insights into the mechanism of regulating gene expression, responding to cellular metabolism via chromatin modifications. ..
- Zhang D, Mosley A, Ramisetty S, Rodríguez Molina J, Washburn M, Ansari A. Ssu72 phosphatase-dependent erasure of phospho-Ser7 marks on the RNA polymerase II C-terminal domain is essential for viability and transcription termination. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:8541-51 pubmed publisher..An inability to remove these marks prevents Pol II from terminating efficiently and will likely impede subsequent assembly into the pre-initiation complex. ..
- Krogan N, Dover J, Khorrami S, Greenblatt J, Schneider J, Johnston M, et al. COMPASS, a histone H3 (Lysine 4) methyltransferase required for telomeric silencing of gene expression. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:10753-5 pubmed..Set1 and several other components of COMPASS are also required for histone H3 methylation in vivo and for transcriptional silencing of a gene located near a chromosome telomere. ..
- Vitaliano Prunier A, Menant A, Hobeika M, Geli V, Gwizdek C, Dargemont C. Ubiquitylation of the COMPASS component Swd2 links H2B ubiquitylation to H3K4 trimethylation. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:1365-71 pubmed publisher..Here we show that mono-ubiquitylation of histone H2B promotes ubiquitylation at Lys 68 and Lys 69 of Swd2, the essential component of SET1/COMPASS in Saccharomyces cerevisiae...
- Dehé P, Dichtl B, Schaft D, Roguev A, Pamblanco M, Lebrun R, et al. Protein interactions within the Set1 complex and their roles in the regulation of histone 3 lysine 4 methylation. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:35404-12 pubmed..Taken together, our results suggest that Set1C subunits stimulate Set1 catalytic activity all along active genes. ..
- Takahashi Y, Lee J, Swanson S, Saraf A, Florens L, Washburn M, et al. Regulation of H3K4 trimethylation via Cps40 (Spp1) of COMPASS is monoubiquitination independent: implication for a Phe/Tyr switch by the catalytic domain of Set1. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:3478-86 pubmed publisher..but transitioning to di- and trimethylation requires prior H2B monoubiquitination followed by recruitment of the Cps35 (Swd2) subunit of COMPASS...
- Kim J, Kim J, McGinty R, Nguyen U, Muir T, Allis C, et al. The n-SET domain of Set1 regulates H2B ubiquitylation-dependent H3K4 methylation. Mol Cell. 2013;49:1121-33 pubmed publisher..Combined with genetic analyses, we demonstrate that the n-SET domain within Set1, but not Swd2, is essential for H2Bub-dependent H3K4 methylation...
- Takahashi Y, Westfield G, Oleskie A, Trievel R, Shilatifard A, Skiniotis G. Structural analysis of the core COMPASS family of histone H3K4 methylases from yeast to human. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:20526-31 pubmed publisher..This structural arrangement suggested that COMPASS family members function as exo-methylases, which we have confirmed by in vitro and in vivo studies. ..
- Roguev A, Schaft D, Shevchenko A, Pijnappel W, Wilm M, Aasland R, et al. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae Set1 complex includes an Ash2 homologue and methylates histone 3 lysine 4. EMBO J. 2001;20:7137-48 pubmed..One Set1C member, Swd2/Cpf10 is also present in cleavage polyadenylation factor (CPF)...
- Soares L, Buratowski S. Yeast Swd2 is essential because of antagonism between Set1 histone methyltransferase complex and APT (associated with Pta1) termination factor. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:15219-31 pubmed publisher..Neither Set1 nor its associated proteins are essential for viability with the notable exception of Swd2, a WD repeat protein that is also a subunit of the essential transcription termination factor APT (associated with ..
- Legros P, Malapert A, Niinuma S, Bernard P, Vanoosthuyse V. RNA processing factors Swd2.2 and Sen1 antagonize RNA Pol III-dependent transcription and the localization of condensin at Pol III genes. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004794 pubmed publisher..Here we show in fission yeast that condensin becomes strikingly enriched at RNA Pol III-transcribed genes when Swd2.2 and Sen1, two factors involved in the transcription process, are simultaneously deleted...
- Cheng H, He X, Moore C. The essential WD repeat protein Swd2 has dual functions in RNA polymerase II transcription termination and lysine 4 methylation of histone H3. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:2932-43 pubmedb>Swd2, an essential WD repeat protein in Saccharomyces cerevisiae, is a component of two very different complexes: the cleavage and polyadenylation factor CPF and the Set1 methylase, which modifies lysine 4 of histone H3 (H3-K4)...