Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SUI1
Description: translation initiation factor eIF1
Alias: MOF2, RFR1, translation initiation factor eIF1
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- ElAntak L, Wagner S, HerrmannovÃ¡ A, KarÃ¡skovÃ¡ M, Rutkai E, Lukavsky P, et al. The indispensable N-terminal half of eIF3j/HCR1 cooperates with its structurally conserved binding partner eIF3b/PRT1-RRM and with eIF1A in stringent AUG selection. J Mol Biol. 2010;396:1097-116 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we propose that eIF3j/HCR1 closely cooperates with the eIF3b/PRT1 RRM and eIF1A on the ribosome to ensure proper formation of the scanning-arrested conformation required for stringent AUG recognition. ..
- Phan L, Schoenfeld L, VALASEK L, Nielsen K, Hinnebusch A. A subcomplex of three eIF3 subunits binds eIF1 and eIF5 and stimulates ribosome binding of mRNA and tRNA(i)Met. EMBO J. 2001;20:2954-65 pubmed..Thus, several key functions of eIF3 can be carried out by the PRT1-TIF32-NIP1 subcomplex. ..
- Asano K, Phan L, Anderson J, Hinnebusch A. Complex formation by all five homologues of mammalian translation initiation factor 3 subunits from yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:18573-85 pubmedThe PRT1, TIF34, GCD10, and SUI1 proteins of Saccharomyces cerevisiae were found previously to copurify with eukaryotic translation initiation factor 3 (eIF3) activity...
- VALASEK L, Nielsen K, Hinnebusch A. Direct eIF2-eIF3 contact in the multifactor complex is important for translation initiation in vivo. EMBO J. 2002;21:5886-98 pubmed
- Chiu W, Wagner S, HerrmannovÃ¡ A, Burela L, Zhang F, Saini A, et al. The C-terminal region of eukaryotic translation initiation factor 3a (eIF3a) promotes mRNA recruitment, scanning, and, together with eIF3j and the eIF3b RNA recognition motif, selection of AUG start codons. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:4415-34 pubmed publisher
- HerrmannovÃ¡ A, Daujotyte D, Yang J, CuchalovÃ¡ L, Gorrec F, Wagner S, et al. Structural analysis of an eIF3 subcomplex reveals conserved interactions required for a stable and proper translation pre-initiation complex assembly. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:2294-311 pubmed publisher..Leaky scanning is also partially suppressed by eIF1, one of the key regulators of AUG recognition, and its mutant sui1(G107R) but the mechanism differs...
- Asano K, Clayton J, Shalev A, Hinnebusch A. A multifactor complex of eukaryotic initiation factors, eIF1, eIF2, eIF3, eIF5, and initiator tRNA(Met) is an important translation initiation intermediate in vivo. Genes Dev. 2000;14:2534-46 pubmed..We propose that the multifactor complex is an important intermediate in translation initiation in vivo. ..
- Maag D, Fekete C, Gryczynski Z, Lorsch J. A conformational change in the eukaryotic translation preinitiation complex and release of eIF1 signal recognition of the start codon. Mol Cell. 2005;17:265-75 pubmed..These rearrangements probably play a role in triggering GTP hydrolysis and committing the complex to downstream events. ..
- Cheung Y, Maag D, Mitchell S, Fekete C, Algire M, Takacs J, et al. Dissociation of eIF1 from the 40S ribosomal subunit is a key step in start codon selection in vivo. Genes Dev. 2007;21:1217-30 pubmed
- Phan L, Zhang X, Asano K, Anderson J, Vornlocher H, Greenberg J, et al. Identification of a translation initiation factor 3 (eIF3) core complex, conserved in yeast and mammals, that interacts with eIF5. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:4935-46 pubmed..Thus, eIF5 and Sui1p may be recruited to the 40S ribosomes through physical interactions with the Nip1p subunit of eIF3. ..
- Cui Y, Dinman J, Kinzy T, Peltz S. The Mof2/Sui1 protein is a general monitor of translational accuracy. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:1506-16 pubmed..mof2-1 is a novel allele of SUI1, a gene previously shown to play a role in translation initiation start site selection...
- Farley A, Powell D, Weaver C, Jennings J, Link A. Assessing the components of the eIF3 complex and their phosphorylation status. J Proteome Res. 2011;10:1481-94 pubmed publisher..affinity purified eIF3 complexes showed that several other initiation factors (Fun12, Tif5, Sui3, Pab1, Hcr1, and Sui1) and the casein kinase 2 complex (CK2) copurify...
- Martin Marcos P, Nanda J, Luna R, Wagner G, Lorsch J, Hinnebusch A. ?-Hairpin loop of eukaryotic initiation factor 1 (eIF1) mediates 40 S ribosome binding to regulate initiator tRNA(Met) recruitment and accuracy of AUG selection in vivo. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:27546-62 pubmed publisher..Finally, we implicate the unstructured N-terminal tail of eIF1 in blocking rearrangement to the closed conformation in the scanning preinitiation complex. ..
- Naranda T, MacMillan S, Donahue T, Hershey J. SUI1/p16 is required for the activity of eukaryotic translation initiation factor 3 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:2307-13 pubmedA genetic reversion analysis at the HIS4 locus in Saccharomyces cerevisiae has identified SUI1 as a component of the translation initiation complex which plays an important role in ribosomal recognition of the initiator codon...
- McCarthy J. Posttranscriptional control of gene expression in yeast. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev. 1998;62:1492-553 pubmed
- Singh C, Watanabe R, Chowdhury W, Hiraishi H, Murai M, Yamamoto Y, et al. Sequential eukaryotic translation initiation factor 5 (eIF5) binding to the charged disordered segments of eIF4G and eIF2? stabilizes the 48S preinitiation complex and promotes its shift to the initiation mode. Mol Cell Biol. 2012;32:3978-89 pubmed publisher
- Alone P, Cao C, Dever T. Translation initiation factor 2gamma mutant alters start codon selection independent of Met-tRNA binding. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:6877-88 pubmed publisher..We propose that structural alterations in eIF2gamma subtly alter the conformation of Met-tRNA(i)(Met) on the 40S subunit and thereby affect the fidelity of start codon recognition independent of Met-tRNA(i)(Met) binding affinity. ..
- Hinnebusch A, Asano K, Olsen D, Phan L, Nielsen K, VALASEK L. Study of translational control of eukaryotic gene expression using yeast. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2004;1038:60-74 pubmed..Thus, apart from its critical role in the starvation response, GCN4 regulation is a valuable tool for dissecting the contributions of multiple translation factors in the eukaryotic initiation pathway. ..
- Algire M, Maag D, Savio P, Acker M, Tarun S, Sachs A, et al. Development and characterization of a reconstituted yeast translation initiation system. RNA. 2002;8:382-97 pubmed
- He H, von der Haar T, Singh C, Ii M, Li B, Hinnebusch A, et al. The yeast eukaryotic initiation factor 4G (eIF4G) HEAT domain interacts with eIF1 and eIF5 and is involved in stringent AUG selection. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:5431-45 pubmed..Interestingly, excess eIF1 carrying the sui1-1 mutation, known to relax the accuracy of start site selection, did not inhibit the growth of the eIF4G mutant, ..
- Singh C, Curtis C, Yamamoto Y, Hall N, Kruse D, He H, et al. Eukaryotic translation initiation factor 5 is critical for integrity of the scanning preinitiation complex and accurate control of GCN4 translation. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:5480-91 pubmed..Taken together, our results indicate that eIF5-CTD plays a critical role in both the assembly of the 43S complex and the post-assembly process in the 48S complex, likely during the scanning process. ..
- Biver S, Portetelle D, Vandenbol M. Multicopy suppression screen in a Saccharomyces cerevisiae strain lacking the Rab GTPase-activating protein Msb3p. Biotechnol Lett. 2011;33:123-9 pubmed publisher..Three genes (ADH1, RNT1, and SUI1) were found to suppress the CdCl(2) sensitivity of the msb3 strain and three others (YAP6, ZEO1, and SLM1) its ..
- Gora M, Pluta K, Chelstowska A, Zoładek T. Suppressors of translation initiation defect in hem12 locus of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Acta Biochim Pol. 2000;47:181-90 pubmed..All extragenic suppressors are mapped to the SUI1 locus, encoding initiation factor eIF1...
- Singh C, Watanabe R, Zhou D, Jennings M, Fukao A, Lee B, et al. Mechanisms of translational regulation by a human eIF5-mimic protein. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:8314-28 pubmed publisher..Moreover, 5MP1 is not a GEF but a weak GDI for yeast eIF2. We propose that 5MP1 is a partial mimic and competitor of eIF5, interfering with the key steps by which eIF5 regulates eIF2 function. ..
- Kapp L, Lorsch J. GTP-dependent recognition of the methionine moiety on initiator tRNA by translation factor eIF2. J Mol Biol. 2004;335:923-36 pubmed..Our data suggest that a role of this base-pair is to orient the methionine moiety on the initiator tRNA in its recognition pocket on eIF2. ..
- Singh C, Yamamoto Y, Asano K. Physical association of eukaryotic initiation factor (eIF) 5 carboxyl-terminal domain with the lysine-rich eIF2beta segment strongly enhances its binding to eIF3. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:49644-55 pubmed..We propose that the primary function of eIF5-CTD is to serve as an assembly guide by rapidly promoting stoichiometric MFC assembly with the aid of eIF2 while excluding formation of nonfunctional complexes. ..
- Beznosková P, Cuchalová L, Wagner S, Shoemaker C, Gunisova S, von der Haar T, et al. Translation initiation factors eIF3 and HCR1 control translation termination and stop codon read-through in yeast cells. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003962 pubmed publisher..Together our work characterizes novel roles of eIF3 and HCR1 in stop codon recognition, defining a communication bridge between the initiation and termination/recycling phases of translation. ..
- Martin Marcos P, Cheung Y, Hinnebusch A. Functional elements in initiation factors 1, 1A, and 2? discriminate against poor AUG context and non-AUG start codons. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:4814-31 pubmed publisher..As in other eukaryotes, the yeast gene encoding eIF1 (SUI1) contains an AUG in poor context, which could underlie translational autoregulation...
- Asano K, Shalev A, Phan L, Nielsen K, Clayton J, VALASEK L, et al. Multiple roles for the C-terminal domain of eIF5 in translation initiation complex assembly and GTPase activation. EMBO J. 2001;20:2326-37 pubmed
- KarÃ¡skovÃ¡ M, GuniÅ¡ovÃ¡ S, HerrmannovÃ¡ A, Wagner S, MunzarovÃ¡ V, ValÃ¡Å¡ek L. Functional characterization of the role of the N-terminal domain of the c/Nip1 subunit of eukaryotic initiation factor 3 (eIF3) in AUG recognition. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:28420-34 pubmed publisher..Together, our data indicate that binding of eIF1 to the c/Nip1-NTD is equally important for its initial recruitment to PICs and for its proper functioning in selecting the translational start site. ..
- Olsen D, Savner E, Mathew A, Zhang F, Krishnamoorthy T, Phan L, et al. Domains of eIF1A that mediate binding to eIF2, eIF3 and eIF5B and promote ternary complex recruitment in vivo. EMBO J. 2003;22:193-204 pubmed..We propose a modular organization for eIF1A wherein a core ribosome-binding domain is flanked by flexible segments that mediate interactions with other factors involved in recruitment of TC and release of eIF1A at subunit joining. ..
- Singh C, He H, Ii M, Yamamoto Y, Asano K. Efficient incorporation of eukaryotic initiation factor 1 into the multifactor complex is critical for formation of functional ribosomal preinitiation complexes in vivo. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:31910-20 pubmed..We propose that the coordinated recruitment of eIF1 to the 40 S ribosome in the MFC is critical for the production of functional 40 S preinitiation complex. ..
- Harger J, Dinman J. Evidence against a direct role for the Upf proteins in frameshifting or nonsense codon readthrough. RNA. 2004;10:1721-9 pubmed..The demonstration that upf sui1 double mutants are synthetically lethal demonstrates an important functional interaction between the NMD and ..
- Gilbert R, Gordiyenko Y, von der Haar T, Sonnen A, Hofmann G, Nardelli M, et al. Reconfiguration of yeast 40S ribosomal subunit domains by the translation initiation multifactor complex. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:5788-93 pubmed..This is expected to increase the accessibility of the mRNA channel, thus enabling the 40S subunit to convert to a recruitment-competent state. ..