Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: STP22
Description: ubiquitin-binding ESCRT-I subunit protein STP22
Alias: AGS1, VPL15, VPS23, ubiquitin-binding ESCRT-I subunit protein STP22
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Curtiss M, Jones C, Babst M. Efficient cargo sorting by ESCRT-I and the subsequent release of ESCRT-I from multivesicular bodies requires the subunit Mvb12. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:636-45 pubmed..It has been shown that ESCRT-I contains the vacuolar protein sorting (Vps) proteins Vps23, Vps28, and Vps37...
- Katzmann D, Stefan C, Babst M, Emr S. Vps27 recruits ESCRT machinery to endosomes during MVB sorting. J Cell Biol. 2003;162:413-23 pubmed..Of the class E Vps proteins, both the ESCRT-I complex (composed of the class E proteins Vps23, 28, and 37) and Vps27 (mammalian hepatocyte receptor tyrosine kinase substrate, Hrs) have been shown to interact ..
- Shi Y, Stefan C, Rue S, Teis D, Emr S. Two novel WD40 domain-containing proteins, Ere1 and Ere2, function in the retromer-mediated endosomal recycling pathway. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:4093-107 pubmed publisher..Moreover, a complex containing the two novel proteins Ere1 and Ere2 mediates cargo-specific recognition by the retromer pathway. ..
- Bruns C, McCaffery J, Curwin A, Duran J, Malhotra V. Biogenesis of a novel compartment for autophagosome-mediated unconventional protein secretion. J Cell Biol. 2011;195:979-92 pubmed publisher..Phosphatidylinositol 3 phosphate, the ESCRT (endosomal sorting complex required for transport) protein Vps23, and the autophagy-related proteins Atg8 and Atg9 are recruited to these Grh1-containing membranes, which lack ..
- Shields S, Oestreich A, Winistorfer S, Nguyen D, Payne J, Katzmann D, et al. ESCRT ubiquitin-binding domains function cooperatively during MVB cargo sorting. J Cell Biol. 2009;185:213-24 pubmed publisher..These experiments reveal an unexpected level of coordination among the ESCRT UBDs, suggesting that they collectively recognize a diverse set of cargo rather than act sequentially at discrete steps. ..
- Svilar D, Dyavaiah M, Brown A, Tang J, Li J, McDonald P, et al. Alkylation sensitivity screens reveal a conserved cross-species functionome. Mol Cancer Res. 2012;10:1580-96 pubmed publisher..cerevisiae) and protein modification systems, including UBE3B and ICMT in human cells or pby1, lip22, stp22 and aim22 in S. cerevisiae...
- Zhao Y, Du J, Xiong B, Xu H, Jiang L. ESCRT components regulate the expression of the ER/Golgi calcium pump gene PMR1 through the Rim101/Nrg1 pathway in budding yeast. J Mol Cell Biol. 2013;5:336-44 pubmed publisher..Here we show that deletion mutation of ESCRT components Snf7, Snf8, Stp22, Vps20, Vps25, Vps28, or Vps36 activates the calcium/calcineurin signaling in yeast cells, but surprisingly leads ..
- Jensen L, Carroll M, Hall M, Harvey C, Beese S, Culotta V. Down-regulation of a manganese transporter in the face of metal toxicity. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:2810-9 pubmed publisher..We provide evidence that manganese starvation is sensed within the lumen of the secretory pathway, whereas manganese toxicity is sensed within an extra-Golgi/cytosolic compartment of the cell. ..
- Herrador A, Herranz S, Lara D, Vincent O. Recruitment of the ESCRT machinery to a putative seven-transmembrane-domain receptor is mediated by an arrestin-related protein. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:897-907 pubmed publisher..that in Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Rim8 binds to both the putative 7TM pH sensor Rim21 and the ESCRT-I subunit Vps23. We show that an SXP motif in Rim8 mediates binding to the Vps23 ubiquitin E2 variant (UEV) domain and that a ..
- Tang S, Buchkovich N, Henne W, Banjade S, Kim Y, Emr S. ESCRT-III activation by parallel action of ESCRT-I/II and ESCRT-0/Bro1 during MVB biogenesis. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..We therefore provide an enhanced understanding for the activation of the spatially unique ESCRT-III-mediated membrane remodeling. ..
- Rothfels K, Tanny J, Molnár E, Friesen H, Commisso C, Segall J. Components of the ESCRT pathway, DFG16, and YGR122w are required for Rim101 to act as a corepressor with Nrg1 at the negative regulatory element of the DIT1 gene of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:6772-88 pubmed..Interestingly, Rim101 was processed in bro1 and doa4 strains but was unable to mediate efficient repression. ..
- Mageswaran S, Johnson N, Odorizzi G, Babst M. Constitutively active ESCRT-II suppresses the MVB-sorting phenotype of ESCRT-0 and ESCRT-I mutants. Mol Biol Cell. 2015;26:554-68 pubmed publisher..However, the ESCRT-III/Vps4 system alone is not sufficient for ILV formation but requires cargo sorting mediated by one of the early ESCRTs. ..
- Herrador A, Livas D, Soletto L, Becuwe M, LÃ©on S, Vincent O. Casein kinase 1 controls the activation threshold of an Î±-arrestin by multisite phosphorylation of the interdomain hinge. Mol Biol Cell. 2015;26:2128-38 pubmed publisher..These findings support a model in which CK1-mediated phosphorylation of Rim8 contributes to setting a signaling threshold required to inhibit the RIM pathway at acidic pH. ..
- Li Y, Kane T, Tipper C, Spatrick P, Jenness D. Yeast mutants affecting possible quality control of plasma membrane proteins. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:3588-99 pubmed..The stp22 mutation (allelic to vps23 [M. Babst and S...
- Scott P, Bilodeau P, Zhdankina O, Winistorfer S, Hauglund M, Allaman M, et al. GGA proteins bind ubiquitin to facilitate sorting at the trans-Golgi network. Nat Cell Biol. 2004;6:252-9 pubmed..Thus, GGA proteins fulfill the role of ubiquitin sorting receptors at the TGN...
- Nikko E, Andre B. Split-ubiquitin two-hybrid assay to analyze protein-protein interactions at the endosome: application to Saccharomyces cerevisiae Bro1 interacting with ESCRT complexes, the Doa4 ubiquitin hydrolase, and the Rsp5 ubiquitin ligase. Eukaryot Cell. 2007;6:1266-77 pubmed..We show that Bro1 interacts with ESCRT-I and -III components, including Vps23, the Saccharomyces cerevisiae homologue of human Tsg101...
- Tong Z, Kim M, Pandey A, Espenshade P. Identification of candidate substrates for the Golgi Tul1 E3 ligase using quantitative diGly proteomics in yeast. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2014;13:2871-82 pubmed publisher..This quantitative diGly proteomics methodology will serve as a robust platform for screening for stress conditions that require Tul1 E3 ligase activity. ..
- Hayashi M, Fukuzawa T, Sorimachi H, Maeda T. Constitutive activation of the pH-responsive Rim101 pathway in yeast mutants defective in late steps of the MVB/ESCRT pathway. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:9478-90 pubmed..Based on extensive epistasis analysis between pathway-activating and -inactivating mutations, a model for architecture and regulation of the Rim101 pathway is proposed. ..
- Herrador A, Leon S, Haguenauer Tsapis R, Vincent O. A mechanism for protein monoubiquitination dependent on a trans-acting ubiquitin-binding domain. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:16206-11 pubmed publisher..This also requires Vps23, a protein that displays an ubiquitin-E2 variant (UEV) domain...
- Morvan J, Rinaldi B, Friant S. Pkh1/2-dependent phosphorylation of Vps27 regulates ESCRT-I recruitment to endosomes. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:4054-64 pubmed publisher..We propose that Vps27 phosphorylation by Pkh1/2 kinases regulates the coordinated cascade of ESCRT complex recruitment at the endosomal membrane. ..
- Hayden J, Williams M, Granich A, Ahn H, Tenay B, Lukehart J, et al. Vps1 in the late endosome-to-vacuole traffic. J Biosci. 2013;38:73-83 pubmed..Together, we propose that Vps1 is required for correct and efficient trafficking from the late endosomal compartments to the vacuole. ..
- Peters T, Miller A, Tourette C, Agren H, Hubbard A, Hughes R. Genomic Analysis of ATP Efflux in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. G3 (Bethesda). 2015;6:161-70 pubmed publisher..These results will facilitate analysis of ATP efflux mechanisms in higher eukaryotes. ..