Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: STO1
Alias: CBC1, CBP80, GCR3, SUT1, Sto1p
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Das B, Guo Z, Russo P, Chartrand P, Sherman F. The role of nuclear cap binding protein Cbc1p of yeast in mRNA termination and degradation. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:2827-38 pubmed..cyc1-512 can be suppressed by deletion of either of the nonessential genes CBC1 and CBC2, which encode the CBP80 and CBP20 subunits of the nuclear cap binding complex, respectively, or by deletion of the nonessential gene UPF1, ..
- Zhang D, Rosbash M. Identification of eight proteins that cross-link to pre-mRNA in the yeast commitment complex. Genes Dev. 1999;13:581-92 pubmed
- Shen E, Stage Zimmermann T, Chui P, Silver P. 7The yeast mRNA-binding protein Npl3p interacts with the cap-binding complex. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:23718-24 pubmed..a genetic relationship between NPL3 and the nonessential genes encoding the subunits of the cap-binding complex (CBP80 and CBP20)...
- Schmid M, Poulsen M, Olszewski P, Pelechano V, Saguez C, Gupta I, et al. Rrp6p controls mRNA poly(A) tail length and its decoration with poly(A) binding proteins. Mol Cell. 2012;47:267-80 pubmed publisher..We suggest that a nuclear mRNP surveillance step involves targeting of Rrp6p by Nab2p-bound pA-tailed RNPs and that pre-mRNA abundance is regulated at this level. ..
- Garre E, Romero Santacreu L, De Clercq N, Blasco Angulo N, Sunnerhagen P, Alepuz P. Yeast mRNA cap-binding protein Cbc1/Sto1 is necessary for the rapid reprogramming of translation after hyperosmotic shock. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:137-50 pubmed publisher..We find that the mRNA cap-binding protein Cbc1 is important for yeast survival under osmotic stress...
- Hossain M, Chung C, Pradhan S, Johnson T. The yeast cap binding complex modulates transcription factor recruitment and establishes proper histone H3K36 trimethylation during active transcription. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:785-99 pubmed publisher..This work provides evidence for an emerging model that RNA processing factors can modulate the recruitment of transcription factors and influence histone modification during elongation. ..
- Das S, Saha U, Das B. Cbc2p, Upf3p and eIF4G are components of the DRN (Degradation of mRNA in the Nucleus) in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. FEMS Yeast Res. 2014;14:922-32 pubmed publisher..These findings clearly establish that CBC2, UPF3, and TIF4631/32 gene products participate in DRN function. ..
- Uemura H, Pandit S, Jigami Y, Sternglanz R. Mutations in GCR3, a gene involved in the expression of glycolytic genes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae, suppress the temperature-sensitive growth of hpr1 mutants. Genetics. 1996;142:1095-103 pubmed..By complementation of this phenotype, the suppressor gene was cloned. DNA sequencing showed it to be GCR3, a gene involved in the expression of glycolytic genes...
- Wu X, Jiang Y. Overproduction of non-translatable mRNA silences. The transcription of Ty1 retrotransposons in S. cerevisiae via functional inactivation of the nuclear cap-binding complex and subsequent hyperstimulation of the TORC1 pathway. Yeast. 2008;25:327-47 pubmed publisher..Although overproduction of non-translatable mRNA causes transient Ty1 transcriptional silencing, it does not play a detectable role in controlling Ty1 retrotransposition. ..
- Shen E, Henry M, Weiss V, Valentini S, Silver P, Lee M. Arginine methylation facilitates the nuclear export of hnRNP proteins. Genes Dev. 1998;12:679-91 pubmed..Furthermore, we find a genetic relationship between Hmt1p and cap-binding protein 80 (CBP80)...
- Das B, Das S, Sherman F. Mutant LYS2 mRNAs retained and degraded in the nucleus of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:10871-6 pubmed..are subjected to a degradation system-designated DRN (degradation of mRNA in the nucleus), that is diminished in cbc1-Delta or cbc2-Delta mutants lacking components of the cap-binding complex and in rrp6-Delta mutants lacking Rrp6p, ..
- Auld K, Hitchcock A, Doherty H, Frietze S, Huang L, Silver P. The conserved ATPase Get3/Arr4 modulates the activity of membrane-associated proteins in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2006;174:215-27 pubmed..In combination, our characterization of GET3 genetic and biochemical interactions with NPL4, GET1, and GET2 implicates Get3 in multiple membrane-dependent pathways. ..
- Qiu Z, Chico L, Chang J, Shuman S, Schwer B. Genetic interactions of hypomorphic mutations in the m7G cap-binding pocket of yeast nuclear cap binding complex: an essential role for Cbc2 in meiosis via splicing of MER3 pre-mRNA. RNA. 2012;18:1996-2011 pubmed publisher..complex (CBC) is a heterodimer of a small subunit (Cbc2 in yeast) that binds the m(7)G cap and a large subunit (Sto1 in yeast) that interacts with karyopherins...
- Senissar M, Le Saux A, Belgareh Touzé N, Adam C, Banroques J, Tanner N. The DEAD-box helicase Ded1 from yeast is an mRNP cap-associated protein that shuttles between the cytoplasm and nucleus. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:10005-22 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Ded1 is an mRNP cofactor of the cap complex that may function to remodel the different mRNPs and thereby regulate the expression of the mRNAs. ..
- Li T, De Clercq N, Medina D, Garre E, Sunnerhagen P, PÃ©rez OrtÃn J, et al. The mRNA cap-binding protein Cbc1 is required for high and timely expression of genes by promoting the accumulation of gene-specific activators at promoters. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016;1859:405-19 pubmed publisherThe highly conserved Saccharomyces cerevisiae cap-binding protein Cbc1/Sto1 binds mRNA co-transcriptionally and acts as a key coordinator of mRNA fate...
- Balzer R, Henry M. Snu56p is required for Mer1p-activated meiotic splicing. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:2497-508 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, these two proteins do not interact, suggesting that Snu56p links pre-mRNA-bound Mer1p to Nam8p in the U1 snRNP. This work demonstrates that the Snu56 protein is required for splicing only during meiosis. ..
- Vasiljeva L, Buratowski S. Nrd1 interacts with the nuclear exosome for 3' processing of RNA polymerase II transcripts. Mol Cell. 2006;21:239-48 pubmed..Since Nrd1 is known to bind RNA polymerase II and be important for sn/snoRNA 3' end processing, Nrd1 may link transcription and RNA 3' end formation with surveillance by the exosome. ..
- McBride A, Weiss V, Kim H, Hogle J, Silver P. Analysis of the yeast arginine methyltransferase Hmt1p/Rmt1p and its in vivo function. Cofactor binding and substrate interactions. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:3128-36 pubmed..A cold-sensitive mutant of Hmt1p was generated and showed reduced methylation of Npl3p, but not of other substrates, at 14 degrees C. These results define new aspects of Hmt1 and reveal the importance of its activity in vivo. ..
- Rigaut G, Shevchenko A, Rutz B, Wilm M, Mann M, Seraphin B. A generic protein purification method for protein complex characterization and proteome exploration. Nat Biotechnol. 1999;17:1030-2 pubmed..Combined with mass spectrometry, the TAP strategy allows for the identification of proteins interacting with a given target protein. The TAP method has been tested in yeast but should be applicable to other cells or organisms. ..
- Yeh C, Chang S, Chen J, Wang H, Chou Y, Wang C, et al. The conserved AU dinucleotide at the 5' end of nascent U1 snRNA is optimized for the interaction with nuclear cap-binding-complex. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:9679-9693 pubmed publisher..Our data also provide a structural interpretation as to why the AU dinucleotide is conserved during evolution. ..
- Lahudkar S, Durairaj G, Uprety B, Bhaumik S. A novel role for Cet1p mRNA 5'-triphosphatase in promoter proximal accumulation of RNA polymerase II in Saccharomyces cerevisiase. Genetics. 2014;196:161-76 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results demonstrate a novel role of Cet1p in regulation of promoter proximal accumulation of RNA polymerase II independently of mRNA capping activity, and hence transcription in vivo...