Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: STH1
Description: RSC chromatin remodeling complex ATPase subunit STH1
Alias: NPS1, RSC chromatin remodeling complex ATPase subunit STH1
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Angus Hill M, Schlichter A, Roberts D, Erdjument Bromage H, Tempst P, Cairns B. A Rsc3/Rsc30 zinc cluster dimer reveals novel roles for the chromatin remodeler RSC in gene expression and cell cycle control. Mol Cell. 2001;7:741-51 pubmed..We propose that Rsc3 and Rsc30 interact physically but have different roles in targeting or regulating RSC. ..
- Szerlong H, Saha A, Cairns B. The nuclear actin-related proteins Arp7 and Arp9: a dimeric module that cooperates with architectural proteins for chromatin remodeling. EMBO J. 2003;22:3175-87 pubmed..We propose that Arp7/9 dimers function with DNA bending proteins to facilitate proper chromatin architecture and complex- complex interactions. ..
- Campsteijn C, Wijnands Collin A, Logie C. Reverse genetic analysis of the yeast RSC chromatin remodeler reveals a role for RSC3 and SNF5 homolog 1 in ploidy maintenance. PLoS Genet. 2007;3:e92 pubmed..Taken together, our results implicate RSC in regulation of the G1/S-phase transition and establish a hitherto unanticipated role for RSC-mediated chromatin remodeling in ploidy maintenance. ..
- Hsu J, Huang J, Meluh P, Laurent B. The yeast RSC chromatin-remodeling complex is required for kinetochore function in chromosome segregation. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:3202-15 pubmed..Both sth1 and sfh1 mutants exhibit altered centromeric and centromere-proximal chromatin structure and increased ..
- Koyama H, Itoh M, Miyahara K, Tsuchiya E. Abundance of the RSC nucleosome-remodeling complex is important for the cells to tolerate DNA damage in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. FEBS Lett. 2002;531:215-21 pubmed..We have isolated a temperature-sensitive mutant allele of NPS1, nps1-13, which has amino acid substitutions within the bromodomain...
- Damelin M, Simon I, Moy T, Wilson B, Komili S, Tempst P, et al. The genome-wide localization of Rsc9, a component of the RSC chromatin-remodeling complex, changes in response to stress. Mol Cell. 2002;9:563-73 pubmed..Our results illustrate the response of a chromatin-remodeling factor to signaling cascades and suggest that changes in the activity of chromatin-remodeling factors are reflected in changes in their localization in the genome. ..
- Cairns B, Lorch Y, Li Y, Zhang M, Lacomis L, Erdjument Bromage H, et al. RSC, an essential, abundant chromatin-remodeling complex. Cell. 1996;87:1249-60 pubmed..Contrary to a report for SWII/SNF complex, no association of RSC (nor of SWI/SNF complex) with RNA polymerase II holoenzyme was detected. ..
- Sengupta S, VanKanegan M, Persinger J, Logie C, Cairns B, Peterson C, et al. The interactions of yeast SWI/SNF and RSC with the nucleosome before and after chromatin remodeling. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:12636-44 pubmed
- Du J, Nasir I, Benton B, Kladde M, Laurent B. Sth1p, a Saccharomyces cerevisiae Snf2p/Swi2p homolog, is an essential ATPase in RSC and differs from Snf/Swi in its interactions with histones and chromatin-associated proteins. Genetics. 1998;150:987-1005 pubmed..Three sth1 temperature-sensitive mutations map to the highly conserved ATPase/helicase domain and have cell cycle and non-cell ..
- Wippo C, Israel L, Watanabe S, Hochheimer A, Peterson C, Korber P. The RSC chromatin remodelling enzyme has a unique role in directing the accurate positioning of nucleosomes. EMBO J. 2011;30:1277-88 pubmed publisher..Strikingly, RSC could not be replaced by either the closely related SWI/SNF or the Isw2 remodelling enzyme. Thus, we pinpoint that nucleosome positioning specifically depends on the unique properties of the RSC complex. ..
- Chai B, Hsu J, Du J, Laurent B. Yeast RSC function is required for organization of the cellular cytoskeleton via an alternative PKC1 pathway. Genetics. 2002;161:575-84 pubmed..To better understand the cellular function of RSC, a screen was undertaken for gene dosage suppressors of sth1-3ts, a temperature-sensitive mutation in STH1, which encodes the essential ATPase subunit...
- Carey M, Li B, Workman J. RSC exploits histone acetylation to abrogate the nucleosomal block to RNA polymerase II elongation. Mol Cell. 2006;24:481-7 pubmed..Thus, RSC can recognize acetylated nucleosomes and facilitate passage of Pol II through them. These data support the view that histone modifications regulate accessibility of the coding region to Pol II. ..
- Soutourina J, Bordas Le Floch V, Gendrel G, Flores A, Ducrot C, Dumay Odelot H, et al. Rsc4 connects the chromatin remodeler RSC to RNA polymerases. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:4920-33 pubmed
- Chai B, Huang J, Cairns B, Laurent B. Distinct roles for the RSC and Swi/Snf ATP-dependent chromatin remodelers in DNA double-strand break repair. Genes Dev. 2005;19:1656-61 pubmed..We show that Swi/Snf is required earlier, at or preceding the strand invasion step of HR, while RSC is required following synapsis for completion of the recombinational repair event. ..
- Moreira J, Holmberg S. Transcriptional repression of the yeast CHA1 gene requires the chromatin-remodeling complex RSC. EMBO J. 1999;18:2836-44 pubmed..Thus, CHA1 constitutes a target for the RSC complex, and we propose that RSC is essential for maintaining a repressive chromatin structure at the CHA1 promoter. ..
- Yukawa M, Katoh S, Miyakawa T, Tsuchiya E. Nps1/Sth1p, a component of an essential chromatin-remodeling complex of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, is required for the maximal expression of early meiotic genes. Genes Cells. 1999;4:99-110 pubmedThe NPS1/STH1 gene of Saccharomyces cerevisiae is essential for mitotic growth, especially for the progression through the G2/M phase. It encodes a major component of the chromatin-remodelling complex, RSC, of unknown function...
- Wang S, Cheng M. The defects in cell wall integrity and G2-M transition of the ?htl1 mutant are interconnected. Yeast. 2012;29:45-57 pubmed publisher..The results also suggest that the defects in cell wall integrity and the G(2)-M transition of the ?htl1 mutant are interconnected. ..
- Lia G, Praly E, Ferreira H, Stockdale C, Tse Dinh Y, Dunlap D, et al. Direct observation of DNA distortion by the RSC complex. Mol Cell. 2006;21:417-25 pubmed..These observations support the idea that the ATPase motors of the Snf2 family of proteins act as DNA translocases specialized to generate transient distortions in DNA structure. ..
- Charles G, Chen C, Shih S, Collins S, Beltrao P, Zhang X, et al. Site-specific acetylation mark on an essential chromatin-remodeling complex promotes resistance to replication stress. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:10620-5 pubmed publisher..These studies offer an example of acetylation of a chromatin-remodeling enzyme controlling a biological output of the system rather than regulating its core enzymatic properties. ..
- Inai T, Yukawa M, Tsuchiya E. Interplay between chromatin and trans-acting factors on the IME2 promoter upon induction of the gene at the onset of meiosis. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:1254-63 pubmed
- Desai P, Guha N, Galdieri L, Hadi S, Vancura A. Plc1p is required for proper chromatin structure and activity of the kinetochore in Saccharomyces cerevisiae by facilitating recruitment of the RSC complex. Mol Genet Genomics. 2009;281:511-23 pubmed publisher..The results thus provide a mechanistic explanation for the previously elusive role of Plc1p and InsPs in kinetochore function. ..
- Andress E, Holic R, Edelmann M, Kessler B, Yu V. Dia2 controls transcription by mediating assembly of the RSC complex. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e21172 pubmed publisher..Dia2, by controlling the RSC chromatin remodeller, fine-tunes transcription by controlling nucleosome positioning during transcriptional activation and repression. ..
- Ferreira H, Flaus A, Owen Hughes T. Histone modifications influence the action of Snf2 family remodelling enzymes by different mechanisms. J Mol Biol. 2007;374:563-79 pubmed..These observations illustrate a range of different means by which modifications to histones can influence the action of remodelling enzymes. ..
- Lopez Serra L, Kelly G, Patel H, Stewart A, Uhlmann F. The Scc2-Scc4 complex acts in sister chromatid cohesion and transcriptional regulation by maintaining nucleosome-free regions. Nat Genet. 2014;46:1147-51 pubmed publisher..Both syndromes can arise from gene misregulation due to related changes in the nucleosome landscape. ..
- Saha A, Wittmeyer J, Cairns B. Chromatin remodeling by RSC involves ATP-dependent DNA translocation. Genes Dev. 2002;16:2120-34 pubmed..ATPase assays, and DNA-minicircle ATPase assays to establish that RSC, as well as its isolated ATPase subunit Sth1, are DNA translocases...
- Zhang Q, Chakravarty S, Ghersi D, Zeng L, Plotnikov A, Sanchez R, et al. Biochemical profiling of histone binding selectivity of the yeast bromodomain family. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e8903 pubmed publisher..Finally, electrostatic interactions appear to be a primary determining factor that guides productive association between a bromodomain and a lysine-acetylated histone. ..
- Clapier C, Kasten M, Parnell T, Viswanathan R, Szerlong H, Sirinakis G, et al. Regulation of DNA Translocation Efficiency within the Chromatin Remodeler RSC/Sth1 Potentiates Nucleosome Sliding and Ejection. Mol Cell. 2016;62:453-461 pubmed publisherThe RSC chromatin remodeler slides and ejects nucleosomes, utilizing a catalytic subunit (Sth1) with DNA translocation activity, which can pump DNA around the nucleosome...
- Good P, Kendall A, Ignatz Hoover J, Miller E, Pai D, Rivera S, et al. Silencing near tRNA genes is nucleosome-mediated and distinct from boundary element function. Gene. 2013;526:7-15 pubmed publisher..Models for communication between the tRNA gene transcription complexes and local chromatin are discussed. ..
- Laurent B, Yang X, Carlson M. An essential Saccharomyces cerevisiae gene homologous to SNF2 encodes a helicase-related protein in a new family. Mol Cell Biol. 1992;12:1893-902 pubmed..We report here the cloning and characterization of STH1, a gene that is homologous to SNF2. STH1 is essential for mitotic growth and is functionally distinct from SNF2...
- Vernekar D, Bhargava P. Yeast Bud27 modulates the biogenesis of Rpc128 and Rpc160 subunits and the assembly of RNA polymerase III. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015;1849:1340-53 pubmed publisher..Our results show that Bud27 is required in multiple activities responsible for pol III biogenesis and activity. ..
- Szerlong H, Hinata K, Viswanathan R, Erdjument Bromage H, Tempst P, Cairns B. The HSA domain binds nuclear actin-related proteins to regulate chromatin-remodeling ATPases. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2008;15:469-76 pubmed publisher..In RSC, the HSA domain resides on the catalytic ATPase subunit Sth1. The Sth1 HSA is essential in vivo, and its omission causes the specific loss of ARPs and a moderate reduction in ..
- Fischer C, Saha A, Cairns B. Kinetic model for the ATP-dependent translocation of Saccharomyces cerevisiae RSC along double-stranded DNA. Biochemistry. 2007;46:12416-26 pubmed..These results are further discussed in the context of previously published studies of RSC and other DNA translocases. ..
- Mas G, de Nadal E, Dechant R, Rodríguez de la Concepción M, Logie C, Jimeno González S, et al. Recruitment of a chromatin remodelling complex by the Hog1 MAP kinase to stress genes. EMBO J. 2009;28:326-36 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the selective targeting of the RSC complex by Hog1 provides the necessary mechanistic basis for this event. ..
- Treich I, Carlson M. Interaction of a Swi3 homolog with Sth1 provides evidence for a Swi/Snf-related complex with an essential function in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:1768-75 pubmed..The Snf2 sequence that interacts with Swh3 was mapped to a region conserved in Sth1. We show that Swh3 and Sth1 fusion proteins interact in the two-hybrid system and coimmunoprecipitate from yeast ..
- Erkina T, ERKINE A. ASF1 and the SWI/SNF complex interact functionally during nucleosome displacement, while FACT is required for nucleosome reassembly at yeast heat shock gene promoters during sustained stress. Cell Stress Chaperones. 2015;20:355-69 pubmed publisher..A similar but less pronounced effect was observed for ISW1/ASF1 inactivation but not for ASF1/STH1 (RSC complex) combinatorial inactivation...
- Echtenkamp F, Gvozdenov Z, Adkins N, Zhang Y, Lynch Day M, Watanabe S, et al. Hsp90 and p23 Molecular Chaperones Control Chromatin Architecture by Maintaining the Functional Pool of the RSC Chromatin Remodeler. Mol Cell. 2016;64:888-899 pubmed publisher..In the case of RSC, p23 and Hsp90 promote a dynamic action, allowing a limited number of remodelers to effectively maintain chromatin in a pliable state. ..
- Koyama H, Nagao T, Inai T, Miyahara K, Hayasida Y, Shirahige K, et al. RSC Nucleosome-remodeling complex plays prominent roles in transcriptional regulation throughout budding yeast gametogenesis. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2004;68:909-19 pubmed..A homozygous diploid of a novel temperature-sensitive nps1 mutation, nps1-13, harboring amino acid substitutions within the bromodomain, was unable to sporulate...
- Wong K, Struhl K. The Cyc8-Tup1 complex inhibits transcription primarily by masking the activation domain of the recruiting protein. Genes Dev. 2011;25:2525-39 pubmed publisher..We suggest that the corepressor function of Cyc8-Tup1 makes only a modest contribution to expression of target genes, specifically to keep expression levels below the nonactivated state. ..
- Swanson M, Qiu H, Sumibcay L, Krueger A, Kim S, Natarajan K, et al. A multiplicity of coactivators is required by Gcn4p at individual promoters in vivo. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:2800-20 pubmed..We observed considerable differences in coactivator requirements among several Gcn4p-dependent promoters; thus, only a subset of the array of coactivators that can be recruited by Gcn4p is required at a given target gene in vivo. ..
- Zhang W, Zhang J, Zhang X, Xu C, Tu X. Solution structure of the Taf14 YEATS domain and its roles in cell growth of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochem J. 2011;436:83-90 pubmed publisher..In addition, our results show that the C-terminus of Taf14 is responsible for its interaction with Sth1, which is an essential component of the RSC complex...
- Czaja W, Mao P, Smerdon M. Chromatin remodelling complex RSC promotes base excision repair in chromatin of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. DNA Repair (Amst). 2014;16:35-43 pubmed publisher..We show that depletion of STH1, the ATPase subunit of RSC, causes enhanced sensitivity to the DNA alkylating agent methyl methanesulfonate (MMS) ..
- Romeo M, Angus Hill M, Sobering A, Kamada Y, Cairns B, Levin D. HTL1 encodes a novel factor that interacts with the RSC chromatin remodeling complex in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:8165-74 pubmed..Finally, we demonstrate that Htl1 is a nuclear protein that can associate in vivo with a fraction of the RSC complex. We propose that an RSC-Htl1 complex acts coordinately with protein kinase C to regulate the G(2)/M transition. ..
- Spain M, Ansari S, Pathak R, Palumbo M, Morse R, Govind C. The RSC complex localizes to coding sequences to regulate Pol II and histone occupancy. Mol Cell. 2014;56:653-66 pubmed publisher..in the ORFs of weakly transcribed genes is drastically reduced upon depletion of the RSC catalytic subunit Sth1. RSC inactivation also reduced histone H3 occupancy across transcribed regions...
- Musladin S, Krietenstein N, Korber P, Barbaric S. The RSC chromatin remodeling complex has a crucial role in the complete remodeler set for yeast PHO5 promoter opening. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:4270-82 pubmed publisher..Therefore, promoter-specific chromatin rather than transactivators determine remodeler requirements. ..
- Lorch Y, Zhang M, Kornberg R. Histone octamer transfer by a chromatin-remodeling complex. Cell. 1999;96:389-92 pubmed..The mechanism may entail formation of a duplex displacement loop on the nucleosome, facilitating the entry of exogeneous DNA and the release of the endogenous molecule. ..
- Mirón García M, Garrido Godino A, Martínez Fernández V, Fernández Pévida A, Cuevas Bermúdez A, Martín Expósito M, et al. The yeast prefoldin-like URI-orthologue Bud27 associates with the RSC nucleosome remodeler and modulates transcription. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:9666-76 pubmed publisher..We also reveal that Bud27 associates in vivo with the Sth1 component of the chromatin remodeling complex RSC and mediates its association with RNA pol II...
- Schulze J, Kane C, Ruiz Manzano A. The YEATS domain of Taf14 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae has a negative impact on cell growth. Mol Genet Genomics. 2010;283:365-80 pubmed publisher..Thus, this highly conserved domain should be considered part of a negative regulatory loop in cell growth. ..