Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SSO1
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Grote E, Carr C, Novick P. Ordering the final events in yeast exocytosis. J Cell Biol. 2000;151:439-52 pubmed..In the sec18-1 mutant, cis-SNARE complexes containing surface-accessible Sncp accumulate in the plasma membrane. Thus, one function of Sec18p is to disassemble SNARE complexes on the postfusion membrane. ..
- Katz L, Brennwald P. Testing the 3Q:1R "rule": mutational analysis of the ionic "zero" layer in the yeast exocytic SNARE complex reveals no requirement for arginine. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:3849-58 pubmed
- Songer J, Munson M. Sec6p anchors the assembled exocyst complex at sites of secretion. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:973-82 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that assembly and polarization of the exocyst are functionally separable events, and that Sec6p is required to anchor exocyst complexes at sites of secretion. ..
- Rossi G, Salminen A, Rice L, Brunger A, Brennwald P. Analysis of a yeast SNARE complex reveals remarkable similarity to the neuronal SNARE complex and a novel function for the C terminus of the SNAP-25 homolog, Sec9. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:16610-7 pubmed..The binding properties of the neuronal proteins synaptobrevin 1 (VAMP1), syntaxin 1, SNAP-25, and soluble N-ethylmaleimide-sensitive factor attachment protein (alpha-SNAP), have been extensively ..
- Weber Boyvat M, Aro N, Chernov K, Nyman T, Jantti J. Sec1p and Mso1p C-terminal tails cooperate with the SNAREs and Sec4p in polarized exocytosis. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:230-44 pubmed publisher..The bimolecular fluorescence complementation (BiFC) assay results suggest that, in the SNARE-deficient sso2-1 ?sso1 cells, Mso1p, a Sec1p binding protein, helps to target Sec1p(1-657) lacking the C-terminal tail to the sites of ..
- Liu S, Wilson K, Rice Stitt T, Neiman A, McNew J. In vitro fusion catalyzed by the sporulation-specific t-SNARE light-chain Spo20p is stimulated by phosphatidic acid. Traffic. 2007;8:1630-43 pubmed..Sec9p interacts with Sso1/2p and Snc1/2p to mediate intracellular trafficking between post-Golgi vesicles and the plasma membrane during ..
- Scott B, Van Komen J, Irshad H, Liu S, Wilson K, McNew J. Sec1p directly stimulates SNARE-mediated membrane fusion in vitro. J Cell Biol. 2004;167:75-85 pubmed..These data strongly argue that Sec1p directly stimulates SNARE-mediated membrane fusion. ..
- McNew J, Parlati F, Fukuda R, Johnston R, Paz K, Paumet F, et al. Compartmental specificity of cellular membrane fusion encoded in SNARE proteins. Nature. 2000;407:153-9 pubmed..Here we find that, to a marked degree, the pattern of membrane flow in the cell is encoded and recapitulated by its isolated SNARE proteins, as predicted by the SNARE hypothesis. ..
- Neiman A, Katz L, Brennwald P. Identification of domains required for developmentally regulated SNARE function in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2000;155:1643-55 pubmed..Deletion studies indicate that activation and inhibition are separable functions of the Spo20p N terminus. Our results reveal an additional layer of regulation of the SNARE complex, which is necessary only in sporulating cells. ..
- Weber M, Chernov K, Turakainen H, Wohlfahrt G, Pajunen M, Savilahti H, et al. Mso1p regulates membrane fusion through interactions with the putative N-peptide-binding area in Sec1p domain 1. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:1362-74 pubmed publisher..In many SM family proteins, domain 1 binds to a N-terminal peptide of a syntaxin family protein. The Sec1p-interacting syntaxins Sso1p and Sso2p lack the N-terminal peptide...
- Fiebig K, Rice L, Pollock E, Brunger A. Folding intermediates of SNARE complex assembly. Nat Struct Biol. 1999;6:117-23 pubmed..spectroscopy to characterize three assembly states of a yeast SNARE complex: first, the 'closed' conformation of Sso1; second, the binary complex of Sso1 and Sec9; and third, the ternary complex of Sso1, Sec9 and Snc1...
- Zhang Y, Shin Y. Transmembrane organization of yeast syntaxin-analogue Sso1p. Biochemistry. 2006;45:4173-81 pubmed..Thus, hyperfine splitting may be used as an additional parameter to measure bilayer immersion depths of nitroxide. ..
- Munson M, Hughson F. Conformational regulation of SNARE assembly and disassembly in vivo. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:9375-81 pubmed..Our findings indicate that elevated levels of SNARE complexes can be toxic and that these levels are normally controlled by the SNARE disassembly machinery, by the limited availability of Sec9p, and by the closed conformation of Sso1p. ..
- Jantti J, Aalto M, Oyen M, Sundqvist L, Keränen S, Ronne H. Characterization of temperature-sensitive mutations in the yeast syntaxin 1 homologues Sso1p and Sso2p, and evidence of a distinct function for Sso1p in sporulation. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:409-20 pubmedThe duplicated genes SSO1 and SSO2 encode yeast homologues of syntaxin 1 and perform an essential function during fusion of secretory vesicles at the plasma membrane...
- Togneri J, Cheng Y, Munson M, Hughson F, Carr C. Specific SNARE complex binding mode of the Sec1/Munc-18 protein, Sec1p. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:17730-5 pubmed..SM proteins may activate the target-membrane SNARE, syntaxin, for assembly into the fusogenic SNARE complex...
- Nicholson K, Munson M, Miller R, Filip T, Fairman R, Hughson F. Regulation of SNARE complex assembly by an N-terminal domain of the t-SNARE Sso1p. Nat Struct Biol. 1998;5:793-802 pubmed..Our results imply that proteins that accelerate SNARE assembly in vivo act by relieving inhibition by this regulatory domain. ..
- Lehman K, Rossi G, Adamo J, Brennwald P. Yeast homologues of tomosyn and lethal giant larvae function in exocytosis and are associated with the plasma membrane SNARE, Sec9. J Cell Biol. 1999;146:125-40 pubmed..proteins show significant similarity to the Drosophila tumor suppressor, lethal giant larvae and to the neuronal syntaxin-binding protein, tomosyn...
- Katz L, Hanson P, Heuser J, Brennwald P. Genetic and morphological analyses reveal a critical interaction between the C-termini of two SNARE proteins and a parallel four helical arrangement for the exocytic SNARE complex. EMBO J. 1998;17:6200-9 pubmed..This provides strong evidence that the exocytic SNARE complex is a highly conserved structure composed of four parallel helical domains whose C-termini must converge in order to bring about membrane fusion. ..
- Nakanishi H, Suda Y, Neiman A. Erv14 family cargo receptors are necessary for ER exit during sporulation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:908-16 pubmed..These results reveal a developmentally regulated change in the requirements for ER export in S. cerevisiae. ..
- Grote E, Baba M, Ohsumi Y, Novick P. Geranylgeranylated SNAREs are dominant inhibitors of membrane fusion. J Cell Biol. 2000;151:453-66 pubmed..In support of this model, the inverted cone-shaped lipid lysophosphatidylcholine rescues secretion from SNARE mutant cells. ..
- Gabriely G, Kama R, Gelin Licht R, Gerst J. Different domains of the UBL-UBA ubiquitin receptor, Ddi1/Vsm1, are involved in its multiple cellular roles. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:3625-37 pubmed publisher..Thus, Ddi1 catalytic activity may be required for checkpoint regulation. The Sso1 t-SNARE-interacting domain maps to residues 344-395 and undergoes phosphorylation on threonines T346 and T348...
- Nair U, Jotwani A, Geng J, Gammoh N, Richerson D, Yen W, et al. SNARE proteins are required for macroautophagy. Cell. 2011;146:290-302 pubmed publisher..Additionally, we found that the endosomal Q/t-SNARE Tlg2 and the R/v-SNAREs Sec22 and Ykt6 interact with Sso1-Sec9, and are required for normal Atg9 transport...
- Su Z, Ishitsuka Y, Ha T, Shin Y. The SNARE complex from yeast is partially unstructured on the membrane. Structure. 2008;16:1138-46 pubmed publisher..Helix-breaking proline mutations in SN2 did not affect the rate of docking but reduced the rate of lipid mixing significantly, indicating that SN2 plays an essential role in activating the transition from docking to fusion. ..
- Van Zyl J, Den Haan R, van Zyl W. Over-expression of native Saccharomyces cerevisiae exocytic SNARE genes increased heterologous cellulase secretion. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2014;98:5567-78 pubmed publisher..Over-expression of SNC1 yielded the biggest improvement in Te-Cel7A secretion (71 %), whilst SSO1 over-expression lead to the highest increases in Sf-Cel3A secretion (43.8 %)...
- Schwartz M, Nickerson D, Lobingier B, Plemel R, Duan M, Angers C, et al. Sec17 (?-SNAP) and an SM-tethering complex regulate the outcome of SNARE zippering in vitro and in vivo. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..Once SNAREs are partially zipped, Sec17 promotes fusion in either the presence or absence of HOPS, but with faster kinetics when HOPS is absent, suggesting that ejection of the SM is a rate-limiting step. ..
- Williams D, Novick P. Analysis of SEC9 suppression reveals a relationship of SNARE function to cell physiology. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e5449 pubmed publisher..Second, Sro7p acts to promote SNARE complex formation. Finally, Sec9p function and SNARE complex formation are tightly coupled to the physiological state of the cell. ..
- Lu X, Zhang Y, Shin Y. Supramolecular SNARE assembly precedes hemifusion in SNARE-mediated membrane fusion. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2008;15:700-6 pubmed publisher..This higher-order protein intermediate evolves, by involving lipid molecules, to the hemifusion state. Hemifusion is subsequently followed by distal leaflet mixing and formation of the cis-SNARE complex. ..
- Schindler C, Spang A. Interaction of SNAREs with ArfGAPs precedes recruitment of Sec18p/NSF. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:2852-63 pubmed
- Quiroga R, Trenchi A, González Montoro A, Valdez Taubas J, Maccioni H. Short transmembrane domains with high-volume exoplasmic halves determine retention of Type II membrane proteins in the Golgi complex. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:5344-9 pubmed publisher..Using the Golgi SNARE protein Sft1 and the plasma membrane SNARE protein Sso1 from Saccharomyces cerevisiae as model proteins, we modified the length of their TMDs and the volume of their ..
- Mendonsa R, Engebrecht J. Phosphatidylinositol-4,5-bisphosphate and phospholipase D-generated phosphatidic acid specify SNARE-mediated vesicle fusion for prospore membrane formation. Eukaryot Cell. 2009;8:1094-105 pubmed publisher..The SNARE syntaxin Sso1p is essential for PSM production while the functionally redundant homolog in vegetative growth, Sso2p, is ..
- Morgera F, Sallah M, Dubuke M, Gandhi P, Brewer D, Carr C, et al. Regulation of exocytosis by the exocyst subunit Sec6 and the SM protein Sec1. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:337-46 pubmed publisher..Therefore, upon vesicle arrival, Sec6 is proposed to release Sec9 in favor of Sec6-exocyst assembly and to simultaneously recruit Sec1 to sites of secretion for coordinated SNARE complex formation and membrane fusion. ..
- Marash M, Gerst J. t-SNARE dephosphorylation promotes SNARE assembly and exocytosis in yeast. EMBO J. 2001;20:411-21 pubmed..Mutation of a single PKA site (Ser79 to Ala79) in Sso1 resulted in a decrease in phosphorylation and was sufficient to confer growth to snc cells at restrictive ..
- Van Komen J, Bai X, Rodkey T, Schaub J, McNew J. The polybasic juxtamembrane region of Sso1p is required for SNARE function in vivo. Eukaryot Cell. 2005;4:2017-28 pubmed..Plasma membrane syntaxin homologs (including Sso1p) contain a highly charged juxtamembrane region between the transmembrane helix and the &..
- Yang H, Nakanishi H, Liu S, McNew J, Neiman A. Binding interactions control SNARE specificity in vivo. J Cell Biol. 2008;183:1089-100 pubmed publisher..Mutation of the central glutamine of the t-SNARE Sso1 impaired sporulation, but does not affect vegetative growth...
- Van Komen J, Bai X, Scott B, McNew J. An intramolecular t-SNARE complex functions in vivo without the syntaxin NH2-terminal regulatory domain. J Cell Biol. 2006;172:295-307 pubmed..One SNARE motif is provided by a syntaxin family member (the t-SNARE heavy chain), and the other two helices are contributed by additional t-SNARE light ..
- Li J, Agarwal S, Roeder G. SSP2 and OSW1, two sporulation-specific genes involved in spore morphogenesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2007;175:143-54 pubmed..The ssp2 mutant defect is partially suppressed by overproduction of either Spo14 or Sso1, both of which promote the fusion of vesicles at the outer plaque of the SPB early in PSM formation...
- Marash M, Gerst J. Phosphorylation of the autoinhibitory domain of the Sso t-SNAREs promotes binding of the Vsm1 SNARE regulator in yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:3114-25 pubmed..Phosphorylation of Sso increases its affinity for Vsm1 by more than fivefold in vitro and both phosphorylated Sso1, as well as Sso1 bearing an aspartate substitution at position 79, interact tightly with Vsm1...