Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SSA2
Description: Hsp70 family chaperone SSA2
Alias: YG102, Hsp70 family chaperone SSA2
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Wegele H, Haslbeck M, Reinstein J, Buchner J. Sti1 is a novel activator of the Ssa proteins. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:25970-6 pubmed..Analysis of the underlying activation mechanism revealed that ATP hydrolysis is rate-limiting in the Ssa1 ATPase cycle and that this step is accelerated by Sti1. Thus, Sti1 is a potent novel effector for the Hsp70 ATPase. ..
- Becker J, Walter W, Yan W, Craig E. Functional interaction of cytosolic hsp70 and a DnaJ-related protein, Ydj1p, in protein translocation in vivo. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:4378-86 pubmed..The effect of a shift of mutant cells (ssa1ts ssa2 ssa3 ssa4) from the permissive temperature of 23 degrees C to the nonpermissive temperature of 37 degrees C on the ..
- Naticchia M, Brown H, Garcia F, Lamade A, Justice S, Herrin R, et al. Bifunctional electrophiles cross-link thioredoxins with redox relay partners in cells. Chem Res Toxicol. 2013;26:490-7 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results indicate that bifunctional electrophiles potentially disrupt redox homeostasis in yeast and human cells by forming cross-linked complexes between thioredoxins and their redox partners. ..
- PÃ©rez Landero S, Sandoval Motta S, MartÃnez Anaya C, Yang R, Folch Mallol J, MartÃnez L, et al. Complex regulation of Hsf1-Skn7 activities by the catalytic subunits of PKA in Saccharomyces cerevisiae: experimental and computational evidences. BMC Syst Biol. 2015;9:42 pubmed publisher..Additional genetic analysis identified Ssa1 and Ssa2 chaperones as such repressors...
- Kamber R, Shoemaker C, Denic V. Receptor-Bound Targets of Selective Autophagy Use a Scaffold Protein to Activate the Atg1 Kinase. Mol Cell. 2015;59:372-81 pubmed publisher..This regulatory logic is a key similarity between selective autophagy and bulk autophagy, which is initiated by a distinct Atg1 activation mechanism during starvation. ..
- Brown C, McCann J, Chiang H. The heat shock protein Ssa2p is required for import of fructose-1, 6-bisphosphatase into Vid vesicles. J Cell Biol. 2000;150:65-76 pubmed..Thus, Ssa2p, as well as other undefined cytosolic proteins are required for the import of FBPase into vesicles. ..
- Nekrasov V, Smith M, Peak Chew S, Kilmartin J. Interactions between centromere complexes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:4931-46 pubmed..These results show an increasingly complex structure for the S. cerevisiae centromere and a probable conservation of structure between parts of the centromeres of S. cerevisiae and S. pombe. ..
- Shiber A, Breuer W, Brandeis M, Ravid T. Ubiquitin conjugation triggers misfolded protein sequestration into quality control foci when Hsp70 chaperone levels are limiting. Mol Biol Cell. 2013;24:2076-87 pubmed publisher..We find that the heat shock protein 70 (Hsp70) chaperone pair Ssa1/Ssa2 and the Hsp40 cochaperone Sis1 are essential for degradation...
- Nelson R, Heschl M, Craig E. Isolation and characterization of extragenic suppressors of mutations in the SSA hsp70 genes of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 1992;131:277-85 pubmedSaccharomyces cerevisiae strains that contain null alleles of two hsp70 genes, SSA1 and SSA2, are temperature sensitive for growth. In this study, extragenic suppressors of ssa1 ssa2 have been isolated...
- Baxter B, Craig E. Isolation of UBP3, encoding a de-ubiquitinating enzyme, as a multicopy suppressor of a heat-shock mutant strain of S. cerevisiae. Curr Genet. 1998;33:412-9 pubmedYeast strains lacking functional copies of the two genes SSA1 and SSA2, which encode cytosolic molecular chaperones, are temperature-sensitive...
- Lee R, Brunette S, Puente L, Megeney L. Metacaspase Yca1 is required for clearance of insoluble protein aggregates. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:13348-53 pubmed publisher..Together, our results show that Yca1 contributes to the fitness and adaptability of growing yeast through an aggregate remodeling activity. ..
- Baxter B, Craig E. Suppression of an Hsp70 mutant phenotype in Saccharomyces cerevisiae through loss of function of the chromatin component Sin1p/Spt2p. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:6484-92 pubmed..of Hsp70 molecular chaperones in the budding yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae has four members, encoded by SSA1, SSA2, SSA3, and SSA4...
- Satyanarayana C, Schröder Köhne S, Craig E, Schu P, Horst M. Cytosolic Hsp70s are involved in the transport of aminopeptidase 1 from the cytoplasm into the vacuole. FEBS Lett. 2000;470:232-8 pubmed..Ssa1/2p was prominently localized to the vacuolar membrane, consistent with the role we propose for Ssa proteins in the fusion of transport vesicles with the vacuolar membrane. ..
- Zhong T, Luke M, Arndt K. Transcriptional regulation of the yeast DnaJ homologue SIS1. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:1349-56 pubmed..The elevated transcription of SIS1 in ssa1 ssa2 mutants is mediated solely through the SIS1 heat shock element...
- Honey S, Schneider B, Schieltz D, Yates J, Futcher B. A novel multiple affinity purification tag and its use in identification of proteins associated with a cyclin-CDK complex. Nucleic Acids Res. 2001;29:E24 pubmed..Associated proteins were identified using mass spectrometry. These included the known associated proteins Cdc28, Sic1 and Cks1. Several other proteins were found including the 70 kDa chaperone, Ssa1. ..
- Sanada M, Kuroda K, Ueda M. Inhibition of heat tolerance and nuclear import of Gts1p by Ssa1p and Ssa2p. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2011;75:323-30 pubmed..Ssa1p and Ssa2p, members of the 70-kDa heat-shock protein family, were identified. Co-expression of SSA1 or SSA2 inhibited Gts1p nuclear import...
- Laxman S, Tu B. Multiple TORC1-associated proteins regulate nitrogen starvation-dependent cellular differentiation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e26081 pubmed publisher..Our studies also suggest the CEN.PK strain background of S. cerevisiae may be particularly useful for investigations of nitrogen starvation-induced diploid pseudohyphal growth. ..
- Prasad R, Kawaguchi S, Ng D. A nucleus-based quality control mechanism for cytosolic proteins. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:2117-27 pubmed publisher..Instead, the Hsp70 chaperone system is needed for efficient import and degradation. These data reveal a new function of the nucleus as a compartment central to the quality control of cytosolic proteins. ..
- Elbing K, McCartney R, Schmidt M. Purification and characterization of the three Snf1-activating kinases of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochem J. 2006;393:797-805 pubmed..Finally, we showed that the Snf1 kinase domain isolated from bacteria as a GST fusion protein can be activated in vitro and shows substrate specificity in the absence of its beta and gamma subunits. ..
- Wang H, Garí E, Vergés E, Gallego C, Aldea M. Recruitment of Cdc28 by Whi3 restricts nuclear accumulation of the G1 cyclin-Cdk complex to late G1. EMBO J. 2004;23:180-90 pubmed..We propose that Whi3 constitutes a cytoplasmic retention device for Cln3-Cdc28 complexes, thus defining a key G1 event in yeast cells. ..
- Zhang S, Williams C, Hagan K, Peltz S. Mutations in VPS16 and MRT1 stabilize mRNAs by activating an inhibitor of the decapping enzyme. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:7568-76 pubmed..Intriguingly, the interaction with Ssa1p/2p is enhanced in strains with mutations in vps16 or mrt1. We propose that Hsp70s may be involved in the regulation of mRNA decapping. ..
- Baranes Bachar K, Baranes Bacher K, Khalaila I, Ivantsiv Y, Lavut A, Voloshin O, et al. New interacting partners of the F-box protein Ufo1 of yeast. Yeast. 2008;25:733-43 pubmed publisher..We show directly that the UIMs are crucial for Ufo1 ubiquitylation in vivo, indicating that they facilitate turnover of SCF Ufo1 complexes. This allows recycling of the core subunits of the SCF complex and cell cycle progression. ..
- Gemayel R, Chavali S, Pougach K, Legendre M, Zhu B, Boeynaems S, et al. Variable Glutamine-Rich Repeats Modulate Transcription Factor Activity. Mol Cell. 2015;59:615-27 pubmed publisher..Thus, Q-rich repeats are dynamic functional domains that modulate a regulator's innate function, with the inherent risk of pathogenic repeat expansions. ..
- Kvint K, Uhler J, Taschner M, Sigurdsson S, Erdjument Bromage H, Tempst P, et al. Reversal of RNA polymerase II ubiquitylation by the ubiquitin protease Ubp3. Mol Cell. 2008;30:498-506 pubmed publisher..In agreement with this, cells with compromised DNA repair are better equipped to survive UV damage when UPB3 is deleted. ..
- Eliyahu E, Lesnik C, Arava Y. The protein chaperone Ssa1 affects mRNA localization to the mitochondria. FEBS Lett. 2012;586:64-9 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest a role for Ssa1 in mediating localization of nascent peptide-ribosome-mRNA complexes to the mitochondria, consistent with a co-translational transport process. ..
- Staresincic L, Walker J, Dirac Svejstrup A, Mitter R, Svejstrup J. GTP-dependent binding and nuclear transport of RNA polymerase II by Npa3 protein. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:35553-61 pubmed publisher..Together, our data suggest that Npa3 defines an unconventional pathway for nuclear import of RNAPII, which involves GTP-dependent binding of Npa3 to the polymerase. ..
- Mirzaei H, Rogers R, Grimes B, Eng J, Aderem A, Aebersold R. Characterizing the connectivity of poly-ubiquitin chains by selected reaction monitoring mass spectrometry. Mol Biosyst. 2010;6:2004-14 pubmed publisher..cerevisiae. We then applied the method to detect toxin induced changes in the poly-ubiquitination profile in complex and enriched protein samples. ..
- Matsumoto R, Nam H, Agrawal G, Kim Y, Iwahashi H, Rakwal R. Exploring novel function of yeast Ssa1/2p by quantitative profiling proteomics using NanoESI-LC-MS/MS. J Proteome Res. 2007;6:3465-74 pubmed..showing changed protein expressions and unchanged mRNA expressions were affected by the deletion of SSA1 and SSA2 genes at translational efficiency, mRNA degradation, or protein degradation...
- Martineau C, Beckerich J, Kabani M. Flo11p-independent control of "mat" formation by hsp70 molecular chaperones and nucleotide exchange factors in yeast. Genetics. 2007;177:1679-89 pubmed..among SSA genes were observed: mat formation depended mostly on SSA1 while minor defects were observed upon loss of SSA2; additional mutations in SSA3 or SSA4 further enhanced these phenotypes...
- Hammack L, Firestone K, Chang W, Kusmierczyk A. Molecular chaperones of the Hsp70 family assist in the assembly of 20S proteasomes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;486:438-443 pubmed publisher..Here, we demonstrate that two members of the Hsp70 family in yeast, Ssa1 and Ssa2, play a direct role in CP assembly. Ssa1 and Ssa2 interact genetically and physically with proteasomal components...
- Johnson J, Halas A, Flom G. Nucleotide-dependent interaction of Saccharomyces cerevisiae Hsp90 with the cochaperone proteins Sti1, Cpr6, and Sba1. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:768-76 pubmed
- Bagriantsev S, Gracheva E, Richmond J, Liebman S. Variant-specific [PSI+] infection is transmitted by Sup35 polymers within [PSI+] aggregates with heterogeneous protein composition. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:2433-43 pubmed publisher..Hsp104, Sis1, and Sse1 interact preferentially with the prion versus nonprion form of Sup35, whereas Sla2 and Ssb1/2 interact with both forms of Sup35 with similar efficiency...
- Kabir M, Kaminska J, Segel G, Bethlendy G, Lin P, Della Seta F, et al. Physiological effects of unassembled chaperonin Cct subunits in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Yeast. 2005;22:219-39 pubmed..Furthermore, we also suggest that the Cct subunits can act as suppressors only in certain states, such as when associated with ATP. ..
- Sugiyama T, Nobuta R, Ando K, Matsuki Y, Inada T. Crucial role of ATP-bound Sse1 in Upf1-dependent degradation of the truncated product. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;488:122-128 pubmed publisher..We propose that the Sse1/Hsp70 complex maintains the solubility of FLAG-Pgk1-300, thereby stimulating its Upf-dependent degradation by the proteasomes. ..
- Solís E, Pandey J, Zheng X, Jin D, Gupta P, Airoldi E, et al. Defining the Essential Function of Yeast Hsf1 Reveals a Compact Transcriptional Program for Maintaining Eukaryotic Proteostasis. Mol Cell. 2016;63:60-71 pubmed publisher..Our work reveals that yeast chaperone gene expression is an essential housekeeping mechanism and provides a roadmap for defining the function of HSF1 as a driver of oncogenesis. ..
- Moriel Carretero M, Tous C, Aguilera A. Control of the function of the transcription and repair factor TFIIH by the action of the cochaperone Ydj1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:15300-5 pubmed publisher..Our results provide evidence for a role of chaperones in NER and transcription, with implications in cancer and TFIIH-associated syndromes. ..
- Zheng X, Krakowiak J, Patel N, Beyzavi A, Ezike J, Khalil A, et al. Dynamic control of Hsf1 during heat shock by a chaperone switch and phosphorylation. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..Our work reveals two uncoupled forms of regulation - an ON/OFF chaperone switch and a tunable phosphorylation gain - that allow Hsf1 to flexibly integrate signals from the proteostasis network and cell signaling pathways. ..
- Zhou J, Zhong Q, Li G, Greenberg M. Loss of cardiolipin leads to longevity defects that are alleviated by alterations in stress response signaling. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:18106-14 pubmed publisher..These findings show for the first time that perturbation of CL synthesis leads to decreased longevity in yeast, which is restored by altering signaling through stress response pathways. ..
- Panni S, Montecchi Palazzi L, Kiemer L, Cabibbo A, Paoluzi S, Santonico E, et al. Combining peptide recognition specificity and context information for the prediction of the 14-3-3-mediated interactome in S. cerevisiae and H. sapiens. Proteomics. 2011;11:128-43 pubmed publisher..Our approach provides an orthogonal reliability assessment and maps with high confidence the 14-3-3 peptide target on the partner proteins. ..
- Rinnerthaler M, Jarolim S, Heeren G, Palle E, Perju S, Klinger H, et al. MMI1 (YKL056c, TMA19), the yeast orthologue of the translationally controlled tumor protein (TCTP) has apoptotic functions and interacts with both microtubules and mitochondria. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2006;1757:631-8 pubmed..Our results so far indicate that Mmi1p is one of the few proteins establishing a functional link between microtubules and mitochondria which may be needed for correct localization of mitochondria during cell division. ..
- Flom G, Weekes J, Williams J, Johnson J. Effect of mutation of the tetratricopeptide repeat and asparatate-proline 2 domains of Sti1 on Hsp90 signaling and interaction in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2006;172:41-51 pubmed..We further examined the genetic and physical interaction of Sti1 with a mutant form of Hsp90, providing insight into the importance of the TPR2A domain of Sti1 in regulating Hsp90 function. ..
- Unno K, Kishido T, Hosaka M, Okada S. Role of Hsp70 subfamily, Ssa, in protein folding in yeast cells, seen in luciferase-transformed ssa mutants. Biol Pharm Bull. 1997;20:1240-4 pubmed..luciferase activities exhibited higher amounts of Ssa4 which is known to be expressed instead of lacking Ssa1 and Ssa2. The luciferase activity closely correlated with the amount of Ssa proteins, more than with the amount of other ..
- Serva S, Nagy P. Proteomics analysis of the tombusvirus replicase: Hsp70 molecular chaperone is associated with the replicase and enhances viral RNA replication. J Virol. 2006;80:2162-9 pubmed..The double mutant strain (ssa1 ssa2) showed 75% reduction in viral RNA accumulation, whereas overexpression of either Ssa1p or Ssa2p stimulated viral ..
- Hanzén S, Vielfort K, Yang J, Roger F, Andersson V, Zamarbide Forés S, et al. Lifespan Control by Redox-Dependent Recruitment of Chaperones to Misfolded Proteins. Cell. 2016;166:140-51 pubmed publisher..The data reveal a conceptually new role for H2O2 signaling in proteostasis and lifespan control and shed new light on the selective benefits endowed to eukaryotic peroxiredoxins by their reversible hyperoxidation. ..
- Dosil M. Ribosome synthesis-unrelated functions of the preribosomal factor Rrp12 in cell cycle progression and the DNA damage response. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:2422-38 pubmed publisher..I propose that the functional duality of Rrp12 may couple the control of ribosome production to the regulation of other cellular processes during cell cycle progression. ..
- Truman A, Kristjansdottir K, Wolfgeher D, Hasin N, Polier S, Zhang H, et al. CDK-dependent Hsp70 Phosphorylation controls G1 cyclin abundance and cell-cycle progression. Cell. 2012;151:1308-18 pubmed publisher..These results establish an active role for Hsp70 chaperones as signal transducers mediating growth control of G1 cyclin abundance and activity. ..
- Valaviciute M, Norkiene M, Goda K, Slibinskas R, Gedvilaite A. Survey of molecular chaperone requirement for the biosynthesis of hamster polyomavirus VP1 protein in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Arch Virol. 2016;161:1807-19 pubmed publisher..Likewise, the markedly reduced levels of VP1-EGFP in ?hsc82 and ?hsp82 yeast strains indicated that both Hsp70 and Hsp90 chaperones might assist VP1 VLPs during protein biosynthesis. ..
- Loovers H, Guinan E, Jones G. Importance of the Hsp70 ATPase domain in yeast prion propagation. Genetics. 2007;175:621-30 pubmed..Analysis of the effects of Hsp70 mutants upon propagation of a second yeast prion [URE3] further classifies these mutants as having general or prion-specific inhibitory properties. ..
- Geymonat M, Wang L, Garreau H, Jacquet M. Ssa1p chaperone interacts with the guanine nucleotide exchange factor of ras Cdc25p and controls the cAMP pathway in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Microbiol. 1998;30:855-64 pubmed..In a strain deleted for SSA1 and SSA2, we observed a reduced cellular content of Cdc25p...
- Liou S, Cheng M, Wang C. SGT2 and MDY2 interact with molecular chaperone YDJ1 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Cell Stress Chaperones. 2007;12:59-70 pubmed..However, it was not clear whether Sgt2 might have a similar capacity. Here, we showed that Ssa1/Ssa2 (yeast heat shock cognate [Hsc]70), Hsc82 (yeast Hsp90), and Hsp104 coprecipitated with Sgt2 from yeast lysates...
- Takano A, Kajita T, Mochizuki M, Endo T, Yoshihisa T. Cytosolic Hsp70 and co-chaperones constitute a novel system for tRNA import into the nucleus. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..These results unveil a novel function of the Ssa2p system as a tRNA carrier for nuclear import by a novel mode of substrate recognition. Such Ssa2p-mediated tRNA import likely contributes to quality control of cytosolic tRNAs. ..
- Ma C, Wu S, Li N, Chen Y, Yan K, Li Z, et al. Structural snapshot of cytoplasmic pre-60S ribosomal particles bound by Nmd3, Lsg1, Tif6 and Reh1. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2017;24:214-220 pubmed publisher..These findings pinpoint a structural checkpoint role for Nmd3 in PTC assembly, and provide information about functional and mechanistic roles of these assembly factors in the maturation of the 60S ribosomal subunit. ..
- Calvert M, Keck K, Ptak C, Shabanowitz J, Hunt D, Pemberton L. Phosphorylation by casein kinase 2 regulates Nap1 localization and function. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:1313-25 pubmed..In conclusion, our data show that Nap1 phosphorylation by CK2 appears to regulate Nap1 localization and is required for normal progression through S phase. ..
- Kapoor P, Bao Y, Xiao J, Luo J, Shen J, Persinger J, et al. Regulation of Mec1 kinase activity by the SWI/SNF chromatin remodeling complex. Genes Dev. 2015;29:591-602 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings identify a novel regulator of Mec1 kinase activity and suggest that ATP-dependent chromatin remodeling complexes can regulate nonchromatin substrates such as a checkpoint kinase. ..
- Makhnevych T, Wong P, Pogoutse O, Vizeacoumar F, Greenblatt J, Emili A, et al. Hsp110 is required for spindle length control. J Cell Biol. 2012;198:623-36 pubmed publisher..The role of Hsp110 Sse1 as a nucleotide exchange factor for the Hsp70 chaperones Ssa1/Ssa2 was found to be required for maintaining the proper distribution of kinesin-5 motors within the spindle, which was ..
- Mandal A, Gibney P, Nillegoda N, Theodoraki M, Caplan A, Morano K. Hsp110 chaperones control client fate determination in the hsp70-Hsp90 chaperone system. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:1439-48 pubmed publisher..These findings support a model in which Hsp110 chaperones contribute significantly to the decision made by Hsp70 to fold or degrade a client protein. ..