Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SRP1
Description: karyopherin alpha
Alias: KAP60, SCM1, karyopherin alpha
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Aitchison J, Blobel G, Rout M. Kap104p: a karyopherin involved in the nuclear transport of messenger RNA binding proteins. Science. 1996;274:624-7 pubmed..This finding suggests that the major function of Kap104p lies in returning mRNA binding proteins to the nucleus after mRNA export. ..
- Hood J, Casolari J, Silver P. Nup2p is located on the nuclear side of the nuclear pore complex and coordinates Srp1p/importin-alpha export. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 ( Pt 8):1471-80 pubmed..Taken together, these data suggest that Nup2p is an important NPC docking site in the Srp1p export pathway. ..
- Pemberton L, Rosenblum J, Blobel G. A distinct and parallel pathway for the nuclear import of an mRNA-binding protein. J Cell Biol. 1997;139:1645-53 pubmed..Thus, at least two parallel pathways function in the import of mRNA-binding proteins, suggesting the need for the coordination of these pathways. ..
- Panse V, Kuster B, Gerstberger T, Hurt E. Unconventional tethering of Ulp1 to the transport channel of the nuclear pore complex by karyopherins. Nat Cell Biol. 2003;5:21-7 pubmed..cellular Ulp1 is not associated with nucleoporins but instead associates with three karyopherins (Pse1, Kap95 and Kap60), in a complex that is not dissociated by RanGTP in vitro...
- Solsbacher J, Maurer P, Vogel F, Schlenstedt G. Nup2p, a yeast nucleoporin, functions in bidirectional transport of importin alpha. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:8468-79 pubmed..The changed distribution of Cse1p at the NPC in nup2 mutants also supports a role for Nup2p in Srp1p export from the nucleus. ..
- Tabb M, Tongaonkar P, Vu L, Nomura M. Evidence for separable functions of Srp1p, the yeast homolog of importin alpha (Karyopherin alpha): role for Srp1p and Sts1p in protein degradation. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:6062-73 pubmedSrp1p (importin alpha) functions as the nuclear localization signal (NLS) receptor in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. The srp1-31 mutant is defective in this nuclear localization function, whereas an srp1-49 mutant exhibits defects that are ..
- Booth J, Belanger K, Sannella M, Davis L. The yeast nucleoporin Nup2p is involved in nuclear export of importin alpha/Srp1p. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:32360-7 pubmed..A deletion of NUP2 shows genetic interactions with mutants in SRP1 and PRP20, which encodes the Ran nucleotide exchange factor. Srp1p binds directly to an N-terminal domain of Nup2p...
- Murphy R, Watkins J, Wente S. GLE2, a Saccharomyces cerevisiae homologue of the Schizosaccharomyces pombe export factor RAE1, is required for nuclear pore complex structure and function. Mol Biol Cell. 1996;7:1921-37 pubmed..We propose that Gle2p has a novel role in mediating nuclear transport. ..
- Shulga N, Roberts P, Gu Z, Spitz L, Tabb M, Nomura M, et al. In vivo nuclear transport kinetics in Saccharomyces cerevisiae: a role for heat shock protein 70 during targeting and translocation. J Cell Biol. 1996;135:329-39 pubmed..When compared to SRP1+ cells, NLS-GFP import rates in temperature-sensitive srp1-31 cells were slower and showed a lower temperature ..
- Yano R, Oakes M, Yamaghishi M, Dodd J, Nomura M. Cloning and characterization of SRP1, a suppressor of temperature-sensitive RNA polymerase I mutations, in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1992;12:5640-51 pubmedThe SRP1-1 mutation is an allele-specific dominant suppressor of temperature-sensitive mutations in the zinc-binding domain of the A190 subunit of Saccharomyces cerevisiae RNA polymerase I (Pol I)...
- Harper N, Al Greene N, Basrai M, Belanger K. Mutations affecting spindle pole body and mitotic exit network function are synthetically lethal with a deletion of the nucleoporin NUP1 in S. cerevisiae. Curr Genet. 2008;53:95-105 pubmed..Our results suggest a novel functional connection between Nup1 and proteins comprising both the spindle pole body and early mitotic exit network. ..
- Kunzler M, Trueheart J, Sette C, Hurt E, Thorner J. Mutations in the YRB1 gene encoding yeast ran-binding-protein-1 that impair nucleocytoplasmic transport and suppress yeast mating defects. Genetics. 2001;157:1089-105 pubmed..genetic interactions with mutations in many other genes involved in nucleocytoplasmic transport, including SRP1 (alpha-importin) and several beta-importin family members...
- Liu D, Wu X, Summers M, Lee A, Ryan K, Braunagel S. Truncated isoforms of Kap60 facilitate trafficking of Heh2 to the nuclear envelope. Traffic. 2010;11:1506-18 pubmed publisher..The data show that internal promoters are present within KAP60, and the nested transcripts are translated into three isoforms: Kap60-44, Kap60-30 and Kap60-10...
- Shen Z, Paquin N, Forget A, Chartrand P. Nuclear shuttling of She2p couples ASH1 mRNA localization to its translational repression by recruiting Loc1p and Puf6p. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:2265-75 pubmed publisher..This study reveals that a direct coupling between localization and translation regulation factors in the nucleus is required for proper cytoplasmic localization of mRNAs. ..
- Huang H, Hopper A. In vivo biochemical analyses reveal distinct roles of Î²-importins and eEF1A in tRNA subcellular traffic. Genes Dev. 2015;29:772-83 pubmed publisher..Assembly and/or stability of this quaternary complex requires Tef1/2, thereby facilitating efficient re-export of aminoacylated tRNAs to the cytoplasm. ..
- Pyhtila B, Rexach M. A gradient of affinity for the karyopherin Kap95p along the yeast nuclear pore complex. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:42699-709 pubmed..We conclude that a high affinity binding site for Kap95p at the nuclear basket increases the translocation efficiency of Kap95p import complexes across the NPC. ..
- Gonzales Zubiate F, Okuda E, da Cunha J, Oliveira C. Identification of karyopherins involved in the nuclear import of RNA exosome subunit Rrp6 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:12267-12284 pubmed publisher..By investigating the biological importance of these protein interactions, we identified Srp1, Kap95, and Sxm1 as the most important karyopherins for Rrp6 nuclear import and the nuclear localization signals ..
- Hood J, Silver P. Cse1p is required for export of Srp1p/importin-alpha from the nucleus in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:35142-6 pubmed..We show further that mutations in CSE1 and SRP1 have specific effects on their association and on the intracellular localization of Cse1p.
- Vega M, Riera A, Fernández Cid A, Herrero P, Moreno F. Hexokinase 2 Is an Intracellular Glucose Sensor of Yeast Cells That Maintains the Structure and Activity of Mig1 Protein Repressor Complex. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:7267-85 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data indicate that Hxk2 is more intimately involved in gene regulation than previously thought. ..
- Carvalho J, Bertram P, Wente S, Zheng X. Phosphorylation regulates the interaction between Gln3p and the nuclear import factor Srp1p. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:25359-65 pubmed..We found that yeast karyopherin alpha/Srp1p and Crm1p are required for the nuclear import and export of Gln3p, respectively...
- Matsuura Y, Stewart M. Structural basis for the assembly of a nuclear export complex. Nature. 2004;432:872-7 pubmed
- Fernández García P, Pelaez R, Herrero P, Moreno F. Phosphorylation of yeast hexokinase 2 regulates its nucleocytoplasmic shuttling. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:42151-64 pubmed publisher..Interaction experiments of Hxk2 with Kap60 and Xpo1 indicated that nuclear import of the S14D mutant of Hxk2 is severely decreased but that the export is ..
- MacKinnon M, Curwin A, Gaspard G, Suraci A, Fernández Murray J, McMaster C. The Kap60-Kap95 karyopherin complex directly regulates phosphatidylcholine synthesis. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:7376-84 pubmed publisher..Pct1 directly interacts with the alpha-importin Kap60 via a bipartite basic region in Pct1, and this region of Pct1 was required for its entry into the nucleus...
- Pulliam K, Fasken M, McLane L, Pulliam J, Corbett A. The classical nuclear localization signal receptor, importin-alpha, is required for efficient transition through the G1/S stage of the cell cycle in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2009;181:105-18 pubmed publisher..Previous studies linked the classical nuclear localization signal (cNLS) receptor, importin-alpha/Srp1, to the G(2)/M transition of the cell cycle...
- Carvalho J, Zheng X. Domains of Gln3p interacting with karyopherins, Ure2p, and the target of rapamycin protein. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:16878-86 pubmed..In nonpreferred nitrogen or nitrogen starvation, Gln3p is dephosphorylated and imported into the nucleus via karyopherin alpha/Srp1p. Upon reintroduction of preferred nitrogen, Gln3p is exported from the nucleus by Crm1p/Xpo1p...
- Lokareddy R, Hapsari R, van Rheenen M, Pumroy R, Bhardwaj A, Steen A, et al. Distinctive Properties of the Nuclear Localization Signals of Inner Nuclear Membrane Proteins Heh1 and Heh2. Structure. 2015;23:1305-1316 pubmed publisher..Thus, h1/h2NLSs delineate a novel class of super-potent, IBB-like membrane protein NLSs, distinct from classical NLSs found in soluble cargos and of general interest in biology. ..
- Lonhienne T, Forwood J, Marfori M, Robin G, Kobe B, Carroll B. Importin-beta is a GDP-to-GTP exchange factor of Ran: implications for the mechanism of nuclear import. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:22549-58 pubmed publisher..The exchange is also inhibited by nuclear-transport factor-2 (NTF2). We suggest a mechanism for nuclear import, additional to the established RCC1 (Ran-guanine exchange factor)-dependent pathway that incorporates these results. ..
- Lee S, Matsuura Y, Liu S, Stewart M. Structural basis for nuclear import complex dissociation by RanGTP. Nature. 2005;435:693-6 pubmed..This interaction produces a change in helicoidal pitch that locks Kap95p in a conformation that cannot bind importin-alpha or cargo. We suggest an allosteric mechanism for nuclear import complex disassembly by RanGTP. ..
- Feigenbutz M, Jones R, Besong T, Harding S, Mitchell P. Assembly of the yeast exoribonuclease Rrp6 with its associated cofactor Rrp47 occurs in the nucleus and is critical for the controlled expression of Rrp47. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:15959-70 pubmed publisher..Consistent with this data, Rrp6, but not Rrp47, is found associated with the nuclear import adaptor protein Srp1. We show that the interaction with Rrp6 is critical for Rrp47 stability in vivo; in the absence of Rrp6, newly ..
- Ha S, Ju D, Xie Y. Nuclear import factor Srp1 and its associated protein Sts1 couple ribosome-bound nascent polypeptides to proteasomes for cotranslational degradation. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:2701-10 pubmed publisher..Here we report that the nuclear import factor Srp1 (also known as importin ? or karyopherin ?) is required for ubiquitin-independent cotranslational degradation of ..
- Azuma Y, Takio K, Tabb M, Vu L, Nomura M. Phosphorylation of Srp1p, the yeast nuclear localization signal receptor, in vitro and in vivo. Biochimie. 1997;79:247-59 pubmedSrp1p, the protein encoded by SRP1 of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae, is a yeast nuclear localization signal (NLS) receptor protein...
- Hawkins C, Friedman K. Normal telomere length maintenance in Saccharomyces cerevisiae requires nuclear import of the ever shorter telomeres 1 (Est1) protein via the importin alpha pathway. Eukaryot Cell. 2014;13:1036-50 pubmed publisher..The reduction in telomere length observed at the semipermissive temperature in a srp1 mutant strain is rescued by increased Est1p expression, consistent with a defect in Est1p nuclear import...
- Matsuura Y, Lange A, Harreman M, Corbett A, Stewart M. Structural basis for Nup2p function in cargo release and karyopherin recycling in nuclear import. EMBO J. 2003;22:5358-69 pubmed..These data indicate that Nup2p increases the overall rate of nuclear trafficking by coordinating nuclear import termination and importin recycling as a concerted process. ..
- Gilchrist D, Rexach M. Molecular basis for the rapid dissociation of nuclear localization signals from karyopherin alpha in the nucleoplasm. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:51937-49 pubmed..NLS-cargo complexes in the nucleoplasm of yeast. We discuss a model whereby Nup2p, Cse1p, and Gsp1p cooperate to establish directionality in the movement of Kap60p and NLS-cargos across the nuclear pore complex. ..
- Green D, Johnson C, Hagan H, Corbett A. The C-terminal domain of myosin-like protein 1 (Mlp1p) is a docking site for heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoproteins that are required for mRNA export. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:1010-5 pubmed..This study identifies Nab2p as a heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoprotein found in complex with Mlp1p and begins to delineate the path that mRNA travels from the chromatin to the nuclear pore. ..
- Chen L, Romero L, Chuang S, Tournier V, Joshi K, Lee J, et al. Sts1 plays a key role in targeting proteasomes to the nucleus. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:3104-18 pubmed publisher..Sts1 targets proteasomes to the nucleus by interacting with Srp1, a nuclear import factor that binds nuclear localization signals...
- Yan C, Leibowitz N, Melese T. A role for the divergent actin gene, ACT2, in nuclear pore structure and function. EMBO J. 1997;16:3572-86 pubmed..a deletion in the XFXFG nucleoporin gene, NUP1, or a mutation in the nuclear localization sequence receptor gene, SRP1. Act2p and Srp1p co-immunoprecipitate, suggesting that the proteins exist in a complex...
- Schroeder A, Chen X, Xiao Z, Fitzgerald Hayes M. Genetic evidence for interactions between yeast importin alpha (Srp1p) and its nuclear export receptor, Cse1p. Mol Gen Genet. 1999;261:788-95 pubmed..In this report we describe genetic interactions between SRP1 and CSE1...
- Makhnevych T, Ptak C, Lusk C, Aitchison J, Wozniak R. The role of karyopherins in the regulated sumoylation of septins. J Cell Biol. 2007;177:39-49 pubmed..We present a model in which Ulp1p is maintained at the NPC during interphase and transiently interacts with the septin ring during mitosis. ..
- Fernández Cid A, Vega M, Herrero P, Moreno F. Yeast importin-? is required for nuclear import of the Mig2 repressor. BMC Cell Biol. 2012;13:31 pubmed publisher..The Mig2 nuclear import mechanism bypasses the requirement for Kap60 (importin-?) as an adaptor protein, since Mig2 directly binds to Kap95 in the presence of Gsp1(GDP)...
- Eremenko E, Ben Zvi A, Morozova Roche L, Raveh D. Aggregation of human S100A8 and S100A9 amyloidogenic proteins perturbs proteostasis in a yeast model. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e58218 pubmed publisher..when expressed on a background of unrelated metastable temperature-sensitive mutant proteins, Cdc53-1p, Cdc34-2p, Srp1-31p and Sec27-1p...
- Belanger K. Using affinity chromatography to investigate novel protein-protein interactions in an undergraduate cell and molecular biology lab course. CBE Life Sci Educ. 2009;8:214-25 pubmed publisher..The modular nature of this exercise and its focus on asking novel questions about protein-protein interactions make it easily transferable to undergraduate lab courses performed in a wide variety of contexts. ..
- Solsbacher J, Maurer P, Bischoff F, Schlenstedt G. Cse1p is involved in export of yeast importin alpha from the nucleus. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:6805-15 pubmed..The formation of the trimeric Srp1p-Cse1p-RanGTP complex is inhibited by NLS peptides, indicating that only NLS-free Srp1p will be exported to the cytoplasm. ..
- Chen L, Madura K. Yeast importin-Î± (Srp1) performs distinct roles in the import of nuclear proteins and in targeting proteasomes to the nucleus. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:32339-52 pubmed publisherb>Srp1 (importin-Î±) can translocate proteins that contain a nuclear localization signal (NLS) into the nucleus. The loss of Srp1 is lethal, although several temperature-sensitive mutants have been described...
- MÃ©szÃ¡ros N, Cibulka J, Mendiburo M, Romanauska A, Schneider M, KÃ¶hler A. Nuclear pore basket proteins are tethered to the nuclear envelope and can regulate membrane curvature. Dev Cell. 2015;33:285-98 pubmed publisher..Basket amphipathic helices are functionally linked to distinct transmembrane nucleoporins of the NPC core, suggesting a key contribution to the membrane remodeling events that underlie NPC assembly. ..
- Shevchenko A, Schaft D, Roguev A, Pijnappel W, Stewart A, Shevchenko A. Deciphering protein complexes and protein interaction networks by tandem affinity purification and mass spectrometry: analytical perspective. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2002;1:204-12 pubmed..Concordance with the results of genome-wide two-hybrid screening was poor (14% of identified interactors overlapped) suggesting that the two approaches may provide complementary views on physical interactions within the proteome. ..
- Iovine M, Wente S. A nuclear export signal in Kap95p is required for both recycling the import factor and interaction with the nucleoporin GLFG repeat regions of Nup116p and Nup100p. J Cell Biol. 1997;137:797-811 pubmed..This finding highlights an important role for a subfamily of GLFG nucleoporins in nuclear export processes. ..
- Keck K, Pemberton L. Interaction with the histone chaperone Vps75 promotes nuclear localization and HAT activity of Rtt109 in vivo. Traffic. 2011;12:826-39 pubmed publisher..We determined that Vps75 contains a classical nuclear localization signal and is imported by Kap60-Kap95...
- Denning D, Mykytka B, Allen N, Huang L, Al Burlingame -, Rexach M. The nucleoporin Nup60p functions as a Gsp1p-GTP-sensitive tether for Nup2p at the nuclear pore complex. J Cell Biol. 2001;154:937-50 pubmed..The results suggest a dynamic interaction, controlled by the nucleoplasmic concentration of Gsp1p-GTP, between Nup60p and Nup2p at the NPC. ..
- Hodel A, Harreman M, Pulliam K, Harben M, Holmes J, Hodel M, et al. Nuclear localization signal receptor affinity correlates with in vivo localization in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:23545-56 pubmed..This correlation, however, is not maintained for cargoes that bind to the NLS receptor with very weak or very strong affinity. ..
- Kim J, Rose M. A mechanism for the coordination of proliferation and differentiation by spatial regulation of Fus2p in budding yeast. Genes Dev. 2012;26:1110-21 pubmed publisher..Thus, potential premature activation of Fus2p in mitosis is prevented by cell cycle-dependent phosphorylation that overrides the mating pheromone-induced phosphorylation that drives nuclear export. ..
- Kunzler M, Hurt E. Cse1p functions as the nuclear export receptor for importin alpha in yeast. FEBS Lett. 1998;433:185-90 pubmed..These findings suggest that Cse1p is the exportin of importin alpha in yeast. ..
- King M, Lusk C, Blobel G. Karyopherin-mediated import of integral inner nuclear membrane proteins. Nature. 2006;442:1003-7 pubmed..We also provide evidence that specific nuclear pore complex proteins contribute to this process, suggesting a role for signal-mediated alterations in the nuclear pore complex to allow for passage of INM proteins along the pore membrane. ..
- Gilchrist D, Mykytka B, Rexach M. Accelerating the rate of disassembly of karyopherin.cargo complexes. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:18161-72 pubmed..In that way, Nup1p, Nup2p, Cse1p, and Gsp1p may function as karyopherin release factors (or KaRFs) in the nuclear basket structure of the S. cerevisiae NPC. ..
- Harreman M, Cohen P, Hodel M, Truscott G, Corbett A, Hodel A. Characterization of the auto-inhibitory sequence within the N-terminal domain of importin alpha. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:21361-9 pubmed..NLS) are transported into the nucleus through binding to a heterodimeric receptor comprised of importin/karyopherin alpha and beta...
- Shou W, Deshaies R. Multiple telophase arrest bypassed (tab) mutants alleviate the essential requirement for Cdc15 in exit from mitosis in S. cerevisiae. BMC Genet. 2002;3:4 pubmed..Furthermore, the transport-defective -31 allele of the karyopherin SRP1, but not the transport competent -49 allele, exhibited a tab phenotype...