Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SPT7
Description: SAGA histone acetyltransferase complex subunit SPT7
Alias: GIT2, SAGA histone acetyltransferase complex subunit SPT7
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Roberts S, Winston F. Essential functional interactions of SAGA, a Saccharomyces cerevisiae complex of Spt, Ada, and Gcn5 proteins, with the Snf/Swi and Srb/mediator complexes. Genetics. 1997;147:451-65 pubmed..Systematic analysis has demonstrated that spt20 delta/ada5 delta and spt7 delta mutations cause lethality with every snf/swi and srb/mediator mutation tested...
- Saleh A, Collart M, Martens J, Genereaux J, Allard S, Cote J, et al. TOM1p, a yeast hect-domain protein which mediates transcriptional regulation through the ADA/SAGA coactivator complexes. J Mol Biol. 1998;282:933-46 pubmed..A direct role for TOM1p in regulation of ADA-associated proteins is further supported by the finding that SPT7p is ubiquitinated in a TOM1p-dependent fashion and that TOM1p coimmunoprecipitates with the ADA proteins. ..
- Gangloff Y, Sanders S, Romier C, Kirschner D, Weil P, Tora L, et al. Histone folds mediate selective heterodimerization of yeast TAF(II)25 with TFIID components yTAF(II)47 and yTAF(II)65 and with SAGA component ySPT7. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:1841-53 pubmed..Furthermore, our results indicate that ySPT7 has an HFD homologous to that of yTAF(II)47 which selectively heterodimerizes with yTAF(II)25, defining a novel histone-like pair in the SAGA complex. ..
- Wu P, Winston F. Analysis of Spt7 function in the Saccharomyces cerevisiae SAGA coactivator complex. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:5367-79 pubmed..Complex integrity depends on three core subunits, Spt7, Spt20, and Ada1. We have investigated the role of Spt7 in the assembly and function of SAGA...
- Grant P, Schieltz D, Pray Grant M, Steger D, Reese J, Yates J, et al. A subset of TAF(II)s are integral components of the SAGA complex required for nucleosome acetylation and transcriptional stimulation. Cell. 1998;94:45-53 pubmed..These results illustrate a role for certain TAF(II) proteins in the regulation of gene expression at the level of chromatin modification that is distinct from the TFIID complex and TAF(II)145. ..
- Sermwittayawong D, Tan S. SAGA binds TBP via its Spt8 subunit in competition with DNA: implications for TBP recruitment. EMBO J. 2006;25:3791-800 pubmed..This simple model can explain SAGA's observed ability to both activate and repress transcription. ..
- Köhler A, Schneider M, Cabal G, Nehrbass U, Hurt E. Yeast Ataxin-7 links histone deubiquitination with gene gating and mRNA export. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:707-15 pubmed publisher..Thus, Sgf73 provides a molecular scaffold to integrate the regulation of H2B ubiquitin levels, tethering of a gene to the NPC and export of mRNA. ..
- Köhler A, Pascual García P, Llopis A, Zapater M, Posas F, Hurt E, et al. The mRNA export factor Sus1 is involved in Spt/Ada/Gcn5 acetyltransferase-mediated H2B deubiquitinylation through its interaction with Ubp8 and Sgf11. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:4228-36 pubmed..Interestingly, sgf11 deletion enhances the mRNA export defect observed in sus1delta cells. Thus, the Sus1-Sgf11-Ubp8 module could work at the junction between SAGA-dependent transcription and nuclear mRNA export. ..
- Mohibullah N, Hahn S. Site-specific cross-linking of TBP in vivo and in vitro reveals a direct functional interaction with the SAGA subunit Spt3. Genes Dev. 2008;22:2994-3006 pubmed publisher..Our cross-linking data also significantly extend the known surfaces of TBP that directly interact with the transcriptional regulator Mot1 and the general transcription factor TFIIA. ..
- Köhler A, Zimmerman E, Schneider M, Hurt E, Zheng N. Structural basis for assembly and activation of the heterotetrameric SAGA histone H2B deubiquitinase module. Cell. 2010;141:606-17 pubmed publisher..Our structural and functional analyses reveal a central role of Sgf11 and Sgf73 in activating Ubp8 for deubiquitinating histone H2B and demonstrate how a DUB can be allosterically regulated by its nonsubstrate partners. ..
- Pray Grant M, Daniel J, Schieltz D, Yates J, Grant P. Chd1 chromodomain links histone H3 methylation with SAGA- and SLIK-dependent acetylation. Nature. 2005;433:434-8 pubmed..Our study identifies the first chromodomain that recognizes methylated histone H3 (Lys 4) and possibly identifies a larger subfamily of chromodomain proteins with similar recognition properties. ..
- Powell D, Weaver C, Jennings J, McAfee K, He Y, Weil P, et al. Cluster analysis of mass spectrometry data reveals a novel component of SAGA. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:7249-59 pubmed..Our data suggest that the role of SGF11 in transcription is independent of SAGA's histone acetyltransferase activity but may involve Ubp8p recruitment to or stabilization in SAGA. ..
- Grant P, Duggan L, Cote J, Roberts S, Brownell J, Candau R, et al. Yeast Gcn5 functions in two multisubunit complexes to acetylate nucleosomal histones: characterization of an Ada complex and the SAGA (Spt/Ada) complex. Genes Dev. 1997;11:1640-50 pubmed..This complex is lost in spt20/ada5delta and spt7delta strains and Spt3, Spt7, Spt20/Ada5, Ada2, and Gcn5 all copurify with this nucleosomal HAT complex. Therefore, the 1...
- Pray Grant M, Schieltz D, McMahon S, Wood J, Kennedy E, Cook R, et al. The novel SLIK histone acetyltransferase complex functions in the yeast retrograde response pathway. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:8774-86 pubmed
- Spedale G, Mischerikow N, Heck A, Timmers H, Pijnappel W. Identification of Pep4p as the protease responsible for formation of the SAGA-related SLIK protein complex. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:22793-9 pubmed publisher..Strains mimicking constitutive SLIK formation showed increased resistance to rapamycin treatment, suggesting a role for SLIK in regulating cellular responses to nutrient stress. ..
- Grant P, Schieltz D, Pray Grant M, Yates J, Workman J. The ATM-related cofactor Tra1 is a component of the purified SAGA complex. Mol Cell. 1998;2:863-7 pubmed..These results indicate a role for Tra1 in the regulation of transcriptional activation through the recruitment of HAT activity to an activator-bound promoter. ..
- Sterner D, Grant P, Roberts S, Duggan L, Belotserkovskaya R, Pacella L, et al. Functional organization of the yeast SAGA complex: distinct components involved in structural integrity, nucleosome acetylation, and TATA-binding protein interaction. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:86-98 pubmed..Spt3/Spt8 classes cause moderate phenotypes and subtle structural alterations, while mutations in a third subgroup, Spt7/Spt20, as well as Ada1, disrupt the complex and cause severe phenotypes...
- Natarajan K, Jackson B, Rhee E, Hinnebusch A. yTAFII61 has a general role in RNA polymerase II transcription and is required by Gcn4p to recruit the SAGA coactivator complex. Mol Cell. 1998;2:683-92 pubmed..Our results provide strong evidence that recruitment of SAGA, in addition to holoenzyme, is crucial for activation by Gcn4p in vivo and that yTAFII61 plays a key role in this process. ..
- Hoke S, Liang G, Mutiu A, Genereaux J, Brandl C. C-terminal processing of yeast Spt7 occurs in the absence of functional SAGA complex. BMC Biochem. 2007;8:16 pubmedb>Spt7 is an integral component of the multi-subunit SAGA complex that is required for the expression of approximately 10% of yeast genes...
- Lenburg M, O Shea E. Genetic evidence for a morphogenetic function of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae Pho85 cyclin-dependent kinase. Genetics. 2001;157:39-51 pubmed..define seven Pho Eighty-Five Requiring or Efr loci, six of which are previously identified genes-BEM2 (YER155C), SPT7 (YBR081C), GCR1 (YPL075W), SRB5 (YGR104C), HFI1 (YPL254W), and BCK1 (YJL095W)-with one novel gene (YMR212C)...
- Durand A, Bonnet J, Fournier M, Chavant V, Schultz P. Mapping the deubiquitination module within the SAGA complex. Structure. 2014;22:1553-9 pubmed..the deubiquitination (DUB) module from SAGA and favors in our conditions the cleavage of the C-terminal ends of the Spt7 subunit and the loss of the Spt8 subunit...
- Han Y, Luo J, Ranish J, Hahn S. Architecture of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae SAGA transcription coactivator complex. EMBO J. 2014;33:2534-46 pubmed publisher..SAGA-TBP binding involves a network of interactions between subunits Spt3, Spt8, Spt20, and Spt7. The HAT and DUB modules are in close proximity, and the DUB module modestly stimulates HAT function...
- Zamostna B, Novak J, Vopalensky V, Masek T, Burysek L, Pospisek M. N-terminal domain of nuclear IL-1? shows structural similarity to the C-terminal domain of Snf1 and binds to the HAT/core module of the SAGA complex. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e41801 pubmed publisher..Finally, the careful evaluation of our data together with other published data in the field allows us to hypothesize a new function for the ADA complex in SAGA complex assembly. ..
- Lee D, Ezhkova E, Li B, Pattenden S, Tansey W, Workman J. The proteasome regulatory particle alters the SAGA coactivator to enhance its interactions with transcriptional activators. Cell. 2005;123:423-36 pubmed..These results indicate that the 19S RP modulates SAGA complex using its ATPase components, thereby facilitating subsequent transcription events at promoters. ..
- James N, Landrieux E, Collart M. A SAGA-independent function of SPT3 mediates transcriptional deregulation in a mutant of the Ccr4-not complex in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2007;177:123-35 pubmed..activation of transcription occurs in not1-2 even if the SAGA complex is disrupted by the deletion of SPT7 that encodes a subunit of SAGA required for its integrity...
- Qiu H, Hu C, Zhang F, Hwang G, Swanson M, Boonchird C, et al. Interdependent recruitment of SAGA and Srb mediator by transcriptional activator Gcn4p. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:3461-74 pubmed..Thus, while Tra1p can bind directly to Gcn4p in vitro, it requires other SAGA subunits for efficient recruitment in vivo. ..
- Kirschner D, vom Baur E, Thibault C, Sanders S, Gangloff Y, Davidson I, et al. Distinct mutations in yeast TAF(II)25 differentially affect the composition of TFIID and SAGA complexes as well as global gene expression patterns. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:3178-93 pubmed..Thus, different yTAF(II)25 mutations induce distinct phenotypes and affect the regulation of different subsets of genes, demonstrating that no individual TAF(II) mutant allele reflects the full range of its normal functions. ..
- Kamata K, Hatanaka A, Goswami G, Shinmyozu K, Nakayama J, Urano T, et al. C-terminus of the Sgf73 subunit of SAGA and SLIK is important for retention in the larger complex and for heterochromatin boundary function. Genes Cells. 2013;18:823-37 pubmed publisher..Western blot analysis detected both the full-length and truncated forms of Spt7, suggesting that SAGA and SLIK complex formation is important for the boundary function of Sgf73.
- Saint M, Sawhney S, Sinha I, Singh R, Dahiya R, Thakur A, et al. The TAF9 C-terminal conserved region domain is required for SAGA and TFIID promoter occupancy to promote transcriptional activation. Mol Cell Biol. 2014;34:1547-63 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a crucial role for the Taf9 CRD in genome-wide transcription and highlight the importance of conserved domains, other than histone fold domains, as a common determinant for TFIID and SAGA functions. ..
- Senapin S, Chen X, Clark Walker G. Transcription of TIM9, a new factor required for the petite-positive phenotype of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, is defective in spt7 mutants. Curr Genet. 2003;44:202-10 pubmed..Northern hybridization results suggested that the Spt7 transcription factor is strictly involved in transcription of TIM9 and that the synergistic lethality of tim9-1/..
- Gansheroff L, Dollard C, Tan P, Winston F. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae SPT7 gene encodes a very acidic protein important for transcription in vivo. Genetics. 1995;139:523-36 pubmedMutations in the SPT7 gene of Saccharomyces cerevisiae originally were identified as suppressors of Ty and delta insertion mutations in the 5' regions of the HIS4 and LYS2 genes...
- García Oliver E, Pascual García P, García Molinero V, Lenstra T, Holstege F, Rodriguez Navarro S. A novel role for Sem1 and TREX-2 in transcription involves their impact on recruitment and H2B deubiquitylation activity of SAGA. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013;41:5655-68 pubmed publisher..These results unveil a new role for Sem1 in the activation of the SAGA-dependent gene GAL1 and influencing H2B deubiquitylation. Our work provides insights into a novel functional relationship between Sem1 and the SAGA complex. ..
- Lim S, Kwak J, Kim M, Lee D. Separation of a functional deubiquitylating module from the SAGA complex by the proteasome regulatory particle. Nat Commun. 2013;4:2641 pubmed publisher..Our findings collectively demonstrate that the proteasome-mediated remodelling of the SAGA complex is a prerequisite for proper mRNA export...
- Reese J, Zhang Z, Kurpad H. Identification of a yeast transcription factor IID subunit, TSG2/TAF48. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:17391-8 pubmed..On the basis of these functions, we propose that Tsg2/TAF(II)48p is the histone 2A-like dimerization partner for the histone 2B-like TAF(II)68/61p in the yeast TFIID complex. ..
- Durso R, Fisher A, Albright Frey T, Reese J. Analysis of TAF90 mutants displaying allele-specific and broad defects in transcription. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:7331-44 pubmed
- Downey M, Johnson J, Davey N, Newton B, Johnson T, Galaang S, et al. Acetylome profiling reveals overlap in the regulation of diverse processes by sirtuins, gcn5, and esa1. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2015;14:162-76 pubmed publisher..Our work provides a framework for understanding how HAT and HDAC enzymes collaborate to regulate critical cellular processes related to growth and division. ..
- Liu B, Sutton A, Sternglanz R. A yeast polyamine acetyltransferase. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:16659-64 pubmed..This demonstrates that spermine and perhaps other polyamines are the in vivo targets of Paa1. ..
- Knutson B, Hahn S. Domains of Tra1 important for activator recruitment and transcription coactivator functions of SAGA and NuA4 complexes. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:818-31 pubmed publisher..Our results show that Tra1 recruitment at Gcn4-dependent and Rap1-dependent promoters requires the same regions of Tra1 and that separate regions of Tra1 contribute to the HAT activity and stability of the SAGA and NuA4 HAT modules. ..
- Bian C, Xu C, Ruan J, Lee K, Burke T, Tempel W, et al. Sgf29 binds histone H3K4me2/3 and is required for SAGA complex recruitment and histone H3 acetylation. EMBO J. 2011;30:2829-42 pubmed publisher..Our in vitro and in vivo functional assays show that Sgf29 recognizes methylated H3K4 to recruit the SAGA complex to its targets sites and mediates histone H3 acetylation, underscoring the importance of Sgf29 in gene regulation. ..
- Spedale G, Meddens C, Koster M, Ko C, van Hooff S, Holstege F, et al. Tight cooperation between Mot1p and NC2? in regulating genome-wide transcription, repression of transcription following heat shock induction and genetic interaction with SAGA. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:996-1008 pubmed publisher..Our results support the model that Mot1p and NC2? directly cooperate in vivo to regulate TBP function, and that they are involved in maintaining basal expression levels as well as in resetting gene expression after induction by stress. ..
- Galdieri L, Chang J, Mehrotra S, Vancura A. Yeast phospholipase C is required for normal acetyl-CoA homeostasis and global histone acetylation. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:27986-98 pubmed publisher..Together, our data indicate that Plc1p and InsPs are required for normal acetyl-CoA homeostasis, which, in turn, regulates global histone acetylation. ..
- Madison J, Dudley A, Winston F. Identification and analysis of Mot3, a zinc finger protein that binds to the retrotransposon Ty long terminal repeat (delta) in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:1879-90 pubmed..Grishin, M. Rothenberg, M. A. Downs, and K. J. Blumer, Genetics, in press), suggest that this protein plays a varied role in gene expression that may be largely redundant with other factors. ..
- Ruault M, Pillus L. Chromatin-modifiying enzymes are essential when the Saccharomyces cerevisiae morphogenesis checkpoint is constitutively activated. Genetics. 2006;174:1135-49 pubmed..A catalytically dead Hsl7p retained wild-type interactions, implying that modification of histone H3 or H4 N termini by Gcn5p, Esa1p, Rpd3p, and Set1p, but not by Hsl7p, was needed to bypass the morphogenesis checkpoint. ..
- Jiang J, Stumpferl S, Tiwari A, Qin Q, Rodríguez Quiñones J, Jazwinski S. Identification of the Target of the Retrograde Response that Mediates Replicative Lifespan Extension in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2016;204:659-673 pubmed..The finding that this gene is PHO84 opens up a new set of questions about the mechanisms involved, as this gene is known to have pleiotropic effects. ..
- Setiaputra D, Ross J, Lu S, Cheng D, Dong M, Yip C. Conformational flexibility and subunit arrangement of the modular yeast Spt-Ada-Gcn5 acetyltransferase complex. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:10057-70 pubmed publisher..Our results relate information of overall SAGA structure with detailed subunit level interactions, improving our understanding of its architecture and flexibility. ..
- Hassan A, Awad S, Al Natour Z, Othman S, Mustafa F, Rizvi T. Selective recognition of acetylated histones by bromodomains in transcriptional co-activators. Biochem J. 2007;402:125-33 pubmed..Additionally we show that the Spt7 bromodomain interacts with acetylated H3 peptides weakly, but not with acetylated H4 peptides...
- Cuenca Bono B, García Molinero V, Pascual García P, García Oliver E, Llopis A, Rodriguez Navarro S. A novel link between Sus1 and the cytoplasmic mRNA decay machinery suggests a broad role in mRNA metabolism. BMC Cell Biol. 2010;11:19 pubmed publisher..These interactions suggest a role for Sus1 in gene expression during cytoplasmic mRNA metabolism in addition to its nuclear function. ..
- Burgess R, Zhou H, Han J, Zhang Z. A role for Gcn5 in replication-coupled nucleosome assembly. Mol Cell. 2010;37:469-80 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that Gcn5 regulates RC nucleosome assembly, in part, by promoting H3 association with CAF-1 via H3 acetylation. ..
- Klöckner C, Schneider M, Lutz S, Jani D, Kressler D, Stewart M, et al. Mutational uncoupling of the role of Sus1 in nuclear pore complex targeting of an mRNA export complex and histone H2B deubiquitination. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:12049-56 pubmed publisher..e. Sac3) to the nuclear pore complexes and exhibited nuclear mRNA export defects. This study has implications for how Sus1, in combination with distinct interaction partners, can regulate diverse aspects of gene expression. ..
- Hoke S, Genereaux J, Liang G, Brandl C. A conserved central region of yeast Ada2 regulates the histone acetyltransferase activity of Gcn5 and interacts with phospholipids. J Mol Biol. 2008;384:743-55 pubmed publisher..We also show that the central region of Ada2 interacts with phospholipids. Since phosphatidylserine binding paralleled Ada2 function, we suggest that lipid binding may play a role in the function or regulation of the SAGA complex. ..
- Dewhurst Maridor G, Abegg D, David F, Rougemont J, Scott C, Adibekian A, et al. The SAGA complex, together with transcription factors and the endocytic protein Rvs167p, coordinates the reprofiling of gene expression in response to changes in sterol composition in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2017;28:2637-2649 pubmed publisher
- Cai L, Sutter B, Li B, Tu B. Acetyl-CoA induces cell growth and proliferation by promoting the acetylation of histones at growth genes. Mol Cell. 2011;42:426-37 pubmed publisher..Thus, acetyl-CoA functions as a carbon-source rheostat that signals the initiation of the cellular growth program by promoting the acetylation of histones specifically at growth genes. ..
- Gunderson F, Johnson T. Acetylation by the transcriptional coactivator Gcn5 plays a novel role in co-transcriptional spliceosome assembly. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000682 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate a novel role for acetylation by SAGA in co-transcriptional recruitment of the U2 snRNP and recognition of the intron branchpoint. ..
- Wery M, Shematorova E, Van Driessche B, Vandenhaute J, Thuriaux P, Van Mullem V. Members of the SAGA and Mediator complexes are partners of the transcription elongation factor TFIIS. EMBO J. 2004;23:4232-42 pubmed..It is proposed that TFIIS and the Spt8-containing form of SAGA co-operate to rescue RNA polymerase II from unproductive elongation complexes, and that the Cdk8 module temporarily blocks transcription during transcript cleavage. ..