Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SPT15
Description: TATA-binding protein
Alias: BTF1, TBP1, TATA-binding protein
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Stargell L, Struhl K. A new class of activation-defective TATA-binding protein mutants: evidence for two steps of transcriptional activation in vivo. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:4456-64 pubmed..Thus, these TBP mutants define two steps in the process of transcriptional stimulation by acidic activators: efficient recruitment to the TATA element and a postrecruitment interaction with a component(s) of the initiation complex. ..
- Andrau J, van Oevelen C, van Teeffelen H, Weil P, Holstege F, Timmers H. Mot1p is essential for TBP recruitment to selected promoters during in vivo gene activation. EMBO J. 2002;21:5173-83 pubmed..Together, our data indicate that Mot1p can assist in recruitment of TBP on promoters during gene activation in vivo. ..
- Kokubo T, Swanson M, Nishikawa J, Hinnebusch A, Nakatani Y. The yeast TAF145 inhibitory domain and TFIIA competitively bind to TATA-binding protein. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:1003-12 pubmed..Importantly, this phenotype is suppressed by overexpression of the TFIIA subunits, indicating that the yTAF145 inhibitory domain is involved in TFIIA function. ..
- Biswas D, Imbalzano A, Eriksson P, Yu Y, Stillman D. Role for Nhp6, Gcn5, and the Swi/Snf complex in stimulating formation of the TATA-binding protein-TFIIA-DNA complex. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:8312-21 pubmed..Consistent with the idea that Nhp6, Gcn5, and Swi/Snf have overlapping functions in vivo, nhp6a nhp6b gcn5 mutants had a severe growth defect, and mutations in both nhp6a nhp6b swi2 and gcn5 swi2 strains were lethal. ..
- Matangkasombut O, Buratowski R, Swilling N, Buratowski S. Bromodomain factor 1 corresponds to a missing piece of yeast TFIID. Genes Dev. 2000;14:951-62 pubmed..The structural and functional similarities suggest that Bdf1 corresponds to the carboxy-terminal region of higher eukaryotic TAF(II)250 and that the interaction between TFIID and Bdf1 is important for proper gene expression. ..
- Tan S, Hunziker Y, Sargent D, Richmond T. Crystal structure of a yeast TFIIA/TBP/DNA complex. Nature. 1996;381:127-51 pubmed..The four-helix bundle contributes substantially to the surface of the complex available for interaction with additional transcription factors. ..
- Robinson M, Yatherajam G, Ranallo R, Bric A, Paule M, Stargell L. Mapping and functional characterization of the TAF11 interaction with TFIIA. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:945-57 pubmedTFIIA interacts with TFIID via association with TATA binding protein (TBP) and TBP-associated factor 11 (TAF11). We previously identified a mutation in the small subunit of TFIIA (toa2-I27K) that is defective for interaction with TAF11...
- Kang J, Auble D, Ranish J, Hahn S. Analysis of the yeast transcription factor TFIIA: distinct functional regions and a polymerase II-specific role in basal and activated transcription. Mol Cell Biol. 1995;15:1234-43 pubmed..Deletion mutagenesis of the large subunit defined a region which is required for TATA binding protein (TBP) interaction...
- Kobayashi A, Miyake T, Ohyama Y, Kawaichi M, Kokubo T. Mutations in the TATA-binding protein, affecting transcriptional activation, show synthetic lethality with the TAF145 gene lacking the TAF N-terminal domain in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:395-405 pubmed..The NSL1 gene was found to be identical to the SPT15 gene encoding TBP...
- Cormack B, Struhl K. The TATA-binding protein is required for transcription by all three nuclear RNA polymerases in yeast cells. Cell. 1992;69:685-96 pubmed..These observations suggest that TBP is required for transcription of all nuclearly encoded genes in yeast, although distinct molecular mechanisms are probably involved for the three RNA polymerase transcription machineries. ..
- Yudkovsky N, Ranish J, Hahn S. A transcription reinitiation intermediate that is stabilized by activator. Nature. 2000;408:225-9 pubmed..The scaffold is stabilized in the presence of the activator Gal4-VP16, but not Gal4-AH, suggesting a new role for some activators and Mediator in promoting high levels of transcription. ..
- Xie J, Collart M, Lemaire M, Stelzer G, Meisterernst M. A single point mutation in TFIIA suppresses NC2 requirement in vivo. EMBO J. 2000;19:672-82 pubmed..Wild-type but not the mt-Toa1 can relieve NC2 effects in purified transcription systems. These data provide evidence for a dimeric NC2 complex that is in an equilibrium with TFIIA after the initial binding of TBP to promoter TATA boxes. ..
- Steffan J, Keys D, Dodd J, Nomura M. The role of TBP in rDNA transcription by RNA polymerase I in Saccharomyces cerevisiae: TBP is required for upstream activation factor-dependent recruitment of core factor. Genes Dev. 1996;10:2551-63 pubmed..Additionally, we observed an interaction between Rrn9p and Rrn7p both in vitro and in the two-hybrid system; thus, this interaction might also contribute to the recruitment of CF. ..
- Roberts S, Winston F. Essential functional interactions of SAGA, a Saccharomyces cerevisiae complex of Spt, Ada, and Gcn5 proteins, with the Snf/Swi and Srb/mediator complexes. Genetics. 1997;147:451-65 pubmed..These findings suggest that SAGA has multiple activities and plays critical roles in transcription by RNA polymerase II. ..
- Colbert T, Hahn S. A yeast TFIIB-related factor involved in RNA polymerase III transcription. Genes Dev. 1992;6:1940-9 pubmed..The identification of a Pol III-specific TFIIB-like factor extends the previously noted similarity of transcriptional initiation by the three nuclear polymerases. ..
- Lalo D, Steffan J, Dodd J, Nomura M. RRN11 encodes the third subunit of the complex containing Rrn6p and Rrn7p that is essential for the initiation of rDNA transcription by yeast RNA polymerase I. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:21062-7 pubmed..No significant similarity was detected between two sets of the proteins. Similarity as well as differences between CF and SL1 are discussed. ..
- Sikorski T, Ficarro S, Holik J, Kim T, Rando O, Marto J, et al. Sub1 and RPA associate with RNA polymerase II at different stages of transcription. Mol Cell. 2011;44:397-409 pubmed publisher..We propose that Sub1 and RPA interact with the nontemplate strand of RNApII complexes during initiation and elongation, respectively. ..
- Shi X, Chang M, Wolf A, Chang C, Frazer Abel A, Wade P, et al. Cdc73p and Paf1p are found in a novel RNA polymerase II-containing complex distinct from the Srbp-containing holoenzyme. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:1160-9 pubmed..Our analysis suggests that there are multiple RNA polymerase II-containing complexes involved in the expression of different classes of protein-coding genes. ..
- Yu Y, Eriksson P, Bhoite L, Stillman D. Regulation of TATA-binding protein binding by the SAGA complex and the Nhp6 high-mobility group protein. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:1910-21 pubmed
- Mohibullah N, Hahn S. Site-specific cross-linking of TBP in vivo and in vitro reveals a direct functional interaction with the SAGA subunit Spt3. Genes Dev. 2008;22:2994-3006 pubmed publisher..Our cross-linking data also significantly extend the known surfaces of TBP that directly interact with the transcriptional regulator Mot1 and the general transcription factor TFIIA. ..
- Moyle Heyrman G, Viswanathan R, Widom J, Auble D. Two-step mechanism for modifier of transcription 1 (Mot1) enzyme-catalyzed displacement of TATA-binding protein (TBP) from DNA. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:9002-12 pubmed publisher..Based on these findings, a model is presented for Mot1 that links a DNA conformational change with ATP-induced DNA translocation. ..
- Ricci A, Genereaux J, Brandl C. Components of the SAGA histone acetyltransferase complex are required for repressed transcription of ARG1 in rich medium. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:4033-42 pubmed..This suggests that SAGA has a dual role at ARG1, acting to repress transcription in rich medium and activate transcription in minimal medium. ..
- Kraemer S, Ranallo R, Ogg R, Stargell L. TFIIA interacts with TFIID via association with TATA-binding protein and TAF40. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:1737-46 pubmed..These results demonstrate that the TFIIA-TAF40 interaction is important in vivo and indicate a functional role for TAF40 as a bridging factor between TFIIA and TFIID. ..
- Poon D, Bai Y, Campbell A, Bjorklund S, Kim Y, Zhou S, et al. Identification and characterization of a TFIID-like multiprotein complex from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:8224-8 pubmed..In addition, by constructing null alleles of the cloned TAF-encoding genes, we show that normal function of the TAF-encoding genes is essential for yeast cell viability. ..
- Aprikian P, Moorefield B, Reeder R. TATA binding protein can stimulate core-directed transcription by yeast RNA polymerase I. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:5269-75 pubmedThe TATA binding protein (TBP) interacts with two transcription factor complexes, upstream activating factor (UAF) and core factor (CF), to direct transcription by RNA polymerase I (polI) in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae...
- Warfield L, Ramachandran S, Baptista T, Devys D, Tora L, Hahn S. Transcription of Nearly All Yeast RNA Polymerase II-Transcribed Genes Is Dependent on Transcription Factor TFIID. Mol Cell. 2017;68:118-129.e5 pubmed publisher..Our work indicates that TFIID participates in expression of nearly all yeast mRNAs and that differences in regulation between these two gene categories is due to other properties. ..
- Cormack B, Struhl K. Regional codon randomization: defining a TATA-binding protein surface required for RNA polymerase III transcription. Science. 1993;262:244-8 pubmed
- Kassavetis G, Joazeiro C, Pisano M, Geiduschek E, Colbert T, Hahn S, et al. The role of the TATA-binding protein in the assembly and function of the multisubunit yeast RNA polymerase III transcription factor, TFIIIB. Cell. 1992;71:1055-64 pubmed..Incorporation of the 90 kd B" protein into the transcription complex requires TBP. The heparin-resistant TFIIIB-DNA complex retains all three of its constituent proteins, TBP, BRF, and B". ..
- Huet J, Sentenac A. The TATA-binding protein participates in TFIIIB assembly on tRNA genes. Nucleic Acids Res. 1992;20:6451-4 pubmed..The presence of TBP in the complex was inferred from the effect of anti-TBP antibodies and from the different migration properties of TFIIIB-TBP-tDNA complexes formed with yeast or human TBP. ..
- Kerkmann K, Lehming N. Genome-wide expression analysis of a Saccharomyces cerevisiae strain deleted for the Tup1p-interacting protein Cdc73p. Curr Genet. 2001;39:284-90 pubmed..Our results show that a subset of genes is regulated by both Cdc73p and Tup1p. Furthermore, our results indicate that Cdc73p plays a role in the repression of telomere-proximal genes, which are not repressed by Tup1p. ..
- Chaussivert N, Conesa C, Shaaban S, Sentenac A. Complex interactions between yeast TFIIIB and TFIIIC. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:15353-8 pubmed..We provide evidence that intramolecular interactions mask functional domains in both polypeptides. ..
- Magbanua J, Ogawa N, Harashima S, Oshima Y. The transcriptional activators of the PHO regulon, Pho4p and Pho2p, interact directly with each other and with components of the basal transcription machinery in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biochem. 1997;121:1182-9 pubmed
- Shen W, Bhaumik S, Causton H, Simon I, Zhu X, Jennings E, et al. Systematic analysis of essential yeast TAFs in genome-wide transcription and preinitiation complex assembly. EMBO J. 2003;22:3395-402 pubmed..Collectively, our results confirm and extend the proposal that individual TAFs have selective transcriptional roles and distinct functions. ..
- Tomar R, Zheng S, Brunke Reese D, Wolcott H, Reese J. Yeast Rap1 contributes to genomic integrity by activating DNA damage repair genes. EMBO J. 2008;27:1575-84 pubmed publisher..We propose that Rap1 acts as a rheostat controlling nucleotide pools in response to shortened telomeres and DNA damage, providing a mechanism for fine-tuning the RNR genes during checkpoint activation. ..
- Patterson G, Schroeder S, Bai Y, Weil A, Piston D. Quantitative imaging of TATA-binding protein in living yeast cells. Yeast. 1998;14:813-25 pubmed..7) between mother and daughter cells. Based on this and data from a mutant which underexpresses GFP x TBP, we suggest that intracellular levels of TBP are near rate-limiting for growth and viability. ..
- Upadhyaya A, DeJong J. Expression of human TFIIA subunits in Saccharomyces cerevisiae identifies regions with conserved and species-specific functions. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2003;1625:88-97 pubmed
- Sprouse R, Brenowitz M, Auble D. Snf2/Swi2-related ATPase Mot1 drives displacement of TATA-binding protein by gripping DNA. EMBO J. 2006;25:1492-504 pubmed..We also report a novel ATP-independent TBPc displacement activity for Mot1 and describe conformational heterogeneity in the Mot1 ATPase, which is likely a general feature of other enzymes in this class. ..
- Juo Z, Kassavetis G, Wang J, Geiduschek E, Sigler P. Crystal structure of a transcription factor IIIB core interface ternary complex. Nature. 2003;422:534-9 pubmed..The structure reveals the core interface for assembly of TFIIIB and demonstrates how the loosely packed Brf1 domain achieves remarkable binding specificity with the convex and lateral surfaces of TBP. ..
- Kang C, Feng Y, Vikram M, Jeong I, Lee J, Bahk J, et al. Arabidopsis thaliana PRP40s are RNA polymerase II C-terminal domain-associating proteins. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2009;484:30-8 pubmed publisher..AtPRP40s are ubiquitously expressed and localize to the nucleus. These results establish that AtPRP40s are specific PCAPs, which is consistent with the predicted function of the AtPRP40 family in pre-mRNA splicing. ..
- Poon D, Campbell A, Bai Y, Weil P. Yeast Taf170 is encoded by MOT1 and exists in a TATA box-binding protein (TBP)-TBP-associated factor complex distinct from transcription factor IID. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:23135-40 pubmed..The significance of this unique TBP-Taf170 complex regarding transcriptional regulation is discussed. ..
- Knutson B, Luo J, Ranish J, Hahn S. Architecture of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae RNA polymerase I Core Factor complex. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2014;21:810-6 pubmed publisher..We extend these findings to model how CF assembles into the Pol I preinitiation complex, providing new insight into the roles of CF, TBP and Rrn3. ..
- Eisenmann D, Arndt K, Ricupero S, Rooney J, Winston F. SPT3 interacts with TFIID to allow normal transcription in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genes Dev. 1992;6:1319-31 pubmedMutations in the Saccharomyces cerevisiae gene SPT15, which encodes the TATA-binding protein TFIID, have been shown to cause pleiotropic phenotypes and to lead to changes in transcription in vivo...
- Daugherty M, Brenowitz M, Fried M. The TATA-binding protein from Saccharomyces cerevisiae oligomerizes in solution at micromolar concentrations to form tetramers and octamers. J Mol Biol. 1999;285:1389-99 pubmed..The possibility that this self-association reaction may play a role in the activity of the TATA-binding protein in vivo is discussed. ..
- Saleh A, Collart M, Martens J, Genereaux J, Allard S, Cote J, et al. TOM1p, a yeast hect-domain protein which mediates transcriptional regulation through the ADA/SAGA coactivator complexes. J Mol Biol. 1998;282:933-46 pubmed..A direct role for TOM1p in regulation of ADA-associated proteins is further supported by the finding that SPT7p is ubiquitinated in a TOM1p-dependent fashion and that TOM1p coimmunoprecipitates with the ADA proteins. ..
- Sanders S, Garbett K, Weil P. Molecular characterization of Saccharomyces cerevisiae TFIID. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:6000-13 pubmedWe previously defined Saccharomyces cerevisiae TFIID as a 15-subunit complex comprised of the TATA binding protein (TBP) and 14 distinct TBP-associated factors (TAFs)...
- Irvin J, Pugh B. Genome-wide transcriptional dependence on TAF1 functional domains. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:6404-12 pubmed
- Kays A, Schepartz A. Virtually unidirectional binding of TBP to the AdMLP TATA box within the quaternary complex with TFIIA and TFIIB. Chem Biol. 2000;7:601-10 pubmed
- Badarinarayana V, Chiang Y, Denis C. Functional interaction of CCR4-NOT proteins with TATAA-binding protein (TBP) and its associated factors in yeast. Genetics. 2000;155:1045-54 pubmed..suppressed the his4-912delta insertion in a manner similar to that observed for the defective TBP allele spt15-122...
- Hodges J, Leslie J, Mosammaparast N, Guo Y, Shabanowitz J, Hunt D, et al. Nuclear import of TFIIB is mediated by Kap114p, a karyopherin with multiple cargo-binding domains. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:3200-10 pubmed..The import of more than one cargo at a time would increase the efficiency of each import cycle and may allow the regulation of coimported cargoes. ..
- Biswas D, Yu Y, Prall M, Formosa T, Stillman D. The yeast FACT complex has a role in transcriptional initiation. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:5812-22 pubmed..Thus, yFACT functions in establishing transcription initiation complexes in addition to the previously described role in elongation. ..
- Anandapadamanaban M, Andrésen C, Helander S, Ohyama Y, Siponen M, Lundström P, et al. High-resolution structure of TBP with TAF1 reveals anchoring patterns in transcriptional regulation. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2013;20:1008-14 pubmed publisher..Our identification of these anchoring patterns, which can be easily disrupted or enhanced, provides insight into the competitive multiprotein TBP interplay critical to transcriptional regulation. ..
- Laprade L, Rose D, Winston F. Characterization of new Spt3 and TATA-binding protein mutants of Saccharomyces cerevisiae: Spt3 TBP allele-specific interactions and bypass of Spt8. Genetics. 2007;177:2007-17 pubmed..regulate initiation of transcription of particular genes by controlling the level of TATA-binding protein (TBP/Spt15) associated with the TATA box...
- Poon D, Weil P. Immunopurification of yeast TATA-binding protein and associated factors. Presence of transcription factor IIIB transcriptional activity. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:15325-8 pubmed..Our data indicate that our TAF fraction contains TFIIIB transcription factor activity and that all the subunits of yeast TFIIIB are stably complexed with TBP. ..
- Romier C, James N, Birck C, Cavarelli J, Vivares C, Collart M, et al. Crystal structure, biochemical and genetic characterization of yeast and E. cuniculi TAF(II)5 N-terminal domain: implications for TFIID assembly. J Mol Biol. 2007;368:1292-306 pubmed
- Yieh L, Kassavetis G, Geiduschek E, Sandmeyer S. The Brf and TATA-binding protein subunits of the RNA polymerase III transcription factor IIIB mediate position-specific integration of the gypsy-like element, Ty3. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:29800-7 pubmed..These findings suggest that the minimal requirements for pol III transcription and Ty3 integration are very similar. ..
- Bongards C, Chew B, Lehming N. The TATA-binding protein is not an essential target of the transcriptional activators Gal4p and Gcn4p in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochem J. 2003;370:141-7 pubmed..The TATA-binding protein Tbp1 has been considered as a likely candidate for such a limiting factor...
- Stolinski L, Eisenmann D, Arndt K. Identification of RTF1, a novel gene important for TATA site selection by TATA box-binding protein in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:4490-500 pubmed..Taken together, our findings suggest that Rtf1 either directly or indirectly regulates the DNA binding properties of TBP and, consequently, the relative activities of different TATA elements in vivo. ..
- Hintze S, Engelhardt M, van Diepen L, Witt E, Schüller H. Multiple Taf subunits of TFIID interact with Ino2 activation domains and contribute to expression of genes required for yeast phospholipid biosynthesis. Mol Microbiol. 2017;: pubmed publisher..This result supports the hypothesis of Taf-dependent expression of structural genes activated by Ino2...
- Nedialkov Y, Triezenberg S. Quantitative assessment of in vitro interactions implicates TATA-binding protein as a target of the VP16C transcriptional activation region. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2004;425:77-86 pubmed..These results support models in which the interactions of ADs with TBP play an important role in transcriptional activation. ..
- Fath S, Milkereit P, Podtelejnikov A, Bischler N, Schultz P, Bier M, et al. Association of yeast RNA polymerase I with a nucleolar substructure active in rRNA synthesis and processing. J Cell Biol. 2000;149:575-90 pubmed..Our results support the idea that a functional nucleolar subdomain formed independently of the state of rDNA transcription may serve as a scaffold for coordinated rRNA synthesis and processing. ..
- Dudley A, Rougeulle C, Winston F. The Spt components of SAGA facilitate TBP binding to a promoter at a post-activator-binding step in vivo. Genes Dev. 1999;13:2940-5 pubmed..These results suggest a coactivator role for Spt3 and Spt20 in the recruitment of TBP. ..
- Adamkewicz J, Hansen K, Prud homme W, Davis J, Thorner J. High affinity interaction of yeast transcriptional regulator, Mot1, with TATA box-binding protein (TBP). J Biol Chem. 2001;276:11883-94 pubmed..Complexes of Mot1 and Spt15 (yeast TBP), radiolabeled in vitro, were immunoprecipitated with anti-TBP (or anti-Mot1) antibodies in the absence ..
- Yu K, Jung J, Ramzi A, Choe S, Kim S, Park C, et al. Increased ethanol production from glycerol by Saccharomyces cerevisiae strains with enhanced stress tolerance from the overexpression of SAGA complex components. Enzyme Microb Technol. 2012;51:237-43 pubmed publisher..in yeast strains that were impaired in endogenous glycerol production by the overexpression of both SPT3 and SPT15, components of the SAGA (Spt-Ada-Gcn5-acetyltransferase) complex...
- Ghavidel A, Schultz M. TATA binding protein-associated CK2 transduces DNA damage signals to the RNA polymerase III transcriptional machinery. Cell. 2001;106:575-84 pubmed..Protein kinase CK2 transduces this stress signal to TFIIIB. CK2 associates with and normally activates the TATA binding protein (TBP) subunit of TFIIIB...
- Pemberton L, Rosenblum J, Blobel G. Nuclear import of the TATA-binding protein: mediation by the karyopherin Kap114p and a possible mechanism for intranuclear targeting. J Cell Biol. 1999;145:1407-17 pubmed..This suggests a mechanism where, once in the nucleus, TBP is preferentially released from Kap114p at the promoter of genes to be transcribed. In this fashion Kap114p may play a role in the intranuclear targeting of TBP. ..
- Roberts S, Miller S, Lane W, Lee S, Hahn S. Cloning and functional characterization of the gene encoding the TFIIIB90 subunit of RNA polymerase III transcription factor TFIIIB. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:14903-9 pubmed..Our results suggest that the binding sites for BRF1 and TFIIIB90 on TBP-DNA both overlap the binding sites for TFIIA and TFIIB. ..
- Sun L, Johnston S, Kodadek T. Physical association of the APIS complex and general transcription factors. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;296:991-9 pubmed..These data add to the growing body of evidence that the APIS complex has a role in transcription, independent of its role in proteolysis and, furthermore, argues that it functions in association with the general transcription complex. ..
- Jensen G, Meredith G, Bushnell D, Kornberg R. Structure of wild-type yeast RNA polymerase II and location of Rpb4 and Rpb7. EMBO J. 1998;17:2353-8 pubmed..Such a role can explain why these subunits are necessary for promoter-specific transcription in vitro and for a normal stress response in vivo. ..
- Adamkewicz J, Mueller C, Hansen K, Prud homme W, Thorner J. Purification and enzymic properties of Mot1 ATPase, a regulator of basal transcription in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:21158-68 pubmed..Thus, Mot1 most likely promotes release of TBP from TATA-containing DNA by causing a structural change in TBP itself, rather than by strand unwinding. ..
- Yamashita I. Isolation and characterization of the SUD1 gene, which encodes a global repressor of core promoter activity in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Gen Genet. 1993;241:616-26 pubmed..suppressed the salt-sensitive cell growth phenotype caused by elevated levels of the TATA-binding protein (SPT15), further suggesting a transcriptional role for SUD1...
- Lee T, Wyrick J, Koh S, Jennings E, Gadbois E, Young R. Interplay of positive and negative regulators in transcription initiation by RNA polymerase II holoenzyme. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:4455-62 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that transcription initiation involves a dynamic balance between activation mediated by specific components of the holoenzyme and repression by multiple TBP-associated regulators. ..
- Setiaputra D, Ross J, Lu S, Cheng D, Dong M, Yip C. Conformational flexibility and subunit arrangement of the modular yeast Spt-Ada-Gcn5 acetyltransferase complex. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:10057-70 pubmed publisher..Our results relate information of overall SAGA structure with detailed subunit level interactions, improving our understanding of its architecture and flexibility. ..
- Sanders S, Weil P. Identification of two novel TAF subunits of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae TFIID complex. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:13895-900 pubmed..TAF complexes. The significance of these results in terms of TFIID structure, function, and organization is discussed. ..
- Zhang H, Kruk J, Reese J. Dissection of coactivator requirement at RNR3 reveals unexpected contributions from TFIID and SAGA. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:27360-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, we described an unexpected shift in the division of labor between these two complexes and provide the first characterization of a gene that requires both SAGA and TFIID. ..
- Kim N, Yang J, Kwon H, An J, Choi W, Kim W. Mutations of the TATA-binding protein confer enhanced tolerance to hyperosmotic stress in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2013;97:8227-38 pubmed publisherPreviously, it was shown that overexpression of either of two SPT15 mutant alleles, SPT15-M2 and SPT15-M3, which encode mutant TATA-binding proteins, confer enhanced ethanol tolerance in Saccharomyces cerevisiae...
- Melcher K, Johnston S. GAL4 interacts with TATA-binding protein and coactivators. Mol Cell Biol. 1995;15:2839-48 pubmed..This suggests that these two prototypic activators make similar contacts with TBP. ..
- Shirra M, Arndt K. Evidence for the involvement of the Glc7-Reg1 phosphatase and the Snf1-Snf4 kinase in the regulation of INO1 transcription in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 1999;152:73-87 pubmed..Our data suggest that association of TBP with the TATA box may be regulated, directly or indirectly, by a substrate of Snf1. Analysis of INO1 transcription in various mutant strains suggests that this substrate is distinct from Opi1. ..
- Buratowski S, Zhou H. A suppressor of TBP mutations encodes an RNA polymerase III transcription factor with homology to TFIIB. Cell. 1992;71:221-30 pubmed..These findings suggest that the RNA polymerase II and III initiation mechanisms are extremely similar, and they explain how the TATA-binding protein can function in both systems. ..
- Kirchner J, Sanders S, Klebanow E, Weil P. Molecular genetic dissection of TAF25, an essential yeast gene encoding a subunit shared by TFIID and SAGA multiprotein transcription factors. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:6668-80 pubmed..The results of these analyses show that TAF25p is comprised of multiple mutable elements which contribute importantly to RNA polymerase II-mediated mRNA gene transcription. ..