Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SPP1
Alias: CPS40, SAF41, Spp1p
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Krogan N, Dover J, Wood A, Schneider J, Heidt J, Boateng M, et al. The Paf1 complex is required for histone H3 methylation by COMPASS and Dot1p: linking transcriptional elongation to histone methylation. Mol Cell. 2003;11:721-9 pubmed..Collectively, our results suggest that the Paf1 complex is required for histone H3 methylation, therefore linking transcriptional elongation to chromatin methylation. ..
- Sommermeyer V, Béneut C, Chaplais E, Serrentino M, Borde V. Spp1, a member of the Set1 Complex, promotes meiotic DSB formation in promoters by tethering histone H3K4 methylation sites to chromosome axes. Mol Cell. 2013;49:43-54 pubmed publisher..Mechanisms bridging these two chromosomal regions for DSB formation have remained elusive. Here we show that Spp1, a conserved member of the histone H3K4 methyltransferase Set1 complex, is required for normal levels of DSB ..
- Halbach A, Zhang H, Wengi A, Jablonska Z, Gruber I, Halbeisen R, et al. Cotranslational assembly of the yeast SET1C histone methyltransferase complex. EMBO J. 2009;28:2959-70 pubmed publisher..we identified SET1RC (SET1 mRNA-associated complex), a complex that contains SET1 mRNA and Set1, Swd1, Spp1 and Shg1, four of the eight polypeptides that constitute SET1C...
- Dehé P, Dichtl B, Schaft D, Roguev A, Pamblanco M, Lebrun R, et al. Protein interactions within the Set1 complex and their roles in the regulation of histone 3 lysine 4 methylation. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:35404-12 pubmed..Cells lacking Spp1 have a reduced amount of Set1 and retain a fraction of trimethylated H3K4, whereas cells lacking Shg1 show slightly ..
- Nagy P, Griesenbeck J, Kornberg R, Cleary M. A trithorax-group complex purified from Saccharomyces cerevisiae is required for methylation of histone H3. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:90-4 pubmed..These studies suggest that epigenetic regulation of developmental and sex-specific gene expression are species-specific readouts for a common chromatin remodeling machinery associated mechanistically with histone methylation. ..
- Chandrasekharan M, Huang F, Chen Y, Sun Z. Histone H2B C-terminal helix mediates trans-histone H3K4 methylation independent of H2B ubiquitination. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:3216-32 pubmed publisher..Importantly, we also find that these residues interact with Spp1 and control the chromatin association, integrity, and overall stability of Set1-COMPASS independent of H2Bub1...
- Mueller J, Canze M, Bryk M. The requirements for COMPASS and Paf1 in transcriptional silencing and methylation of histone H3 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2006;173:557-67 pubmed..Finally, we show Paf1 is required for silencing and K4-methylated H3 at the rDNA, suggesting a possible direct role for K4-methylated H3 in gene silencing. ..
- Takahashi Y, Westfield G, Oleskie A, Trievel R, Shilatifard A, Skiniotis G. Structural analysis of the core COMPASS family of histone H3K4 methylases from yeast to human. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:20526-31 pubmed publisher..This structural arrangement suggested that COMPASS family members function as exo-methylases, which we have confirmed by in vitro and in vivo studies. ..
- Zheng S, Wyrick J, Reese J. Novel trans-tail regulation of H2B ubiquitylation and H3K4 methylation by the N terminus of histone H2A. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:3635-45 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, the HAR is partially occluded by nucleosomal DNA, suggesting that the function of the H2A cross talk pathway is to restrict histone modifications to nucleosomes altered by transcription. ..
- Kirmizis A, Santos Rosa H, Penkett C, Singer M, Green R, Kouzarides T. Distinct transcriptional outputs associated with mono- and dimethylated histone H3 arginine 2. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2009;16:449-51 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results indicate that different H3R2 methylation states have defined roles in gene expression. ..
- Chruscicki A, MacDonald V, Young B, Loewen C, Howe L. Critical determinants for chromatin binding by Saccharomyces cerevisiae Yng1 exist outside of the plant homeodomain finger. Genetics. 2010;185:469-77 pubmed publisher..Although these motifs can bind histones independently, together they increase the apparent association of Yng1 for the H3 tail. ..
- Xiao T, Shibata Y, Rao B, Laribee R, O Rourke R, Buck M, et al. The RNA polymerase II kinase Ctk1 regulates positioning of a 5' histone methylation boundary along genes. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:721-31 pubmed
- Wang A, Aristizabal M, Ryan C, Krogan N, Kobor M. Key functional regions in the histone variant H2A.Z C-terminal docking domain. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:3871-84 pubmed publisher..Z deposition complex SWR1-C, the histone chaperone Chz1, and histone H2B. These data are consistent with a model in which retaining the variant in chromatin after its deposition by SWR1-C is a crucial determinant of its function. ..
- Acquaviva L, Drogat J, Dehé P, de La Roche Saint André C, Geli V. Spp1 at the crossroads of H3K4me3 regulation and meiotic recombination. Epigenetics. 2013;8:355-60 pubmed publisher..Complex (Set1C) that is composed of the catalytic (Set1) and seven other subunits (Swd1, Swd2, Swd3, Bre2, Sdc1, Spp1 and Shg1)...
- Soloveychik M, Xu M, Zaslaver O, Lee K, Narula A, Jiang R, et al. Mitochondrial control through nutritionally regulated global histone H3 lysine-4 demethylation. Sci Rep. 2016;6:37942 pubmed publisher..JHD2's impact on nutrient response may reflect an ancestral role of its gene family in mediating mitochondrial regulation. ..
- Kan J, Zou L, Zhang J, Wu R, Wang Z, Liang C. Origin recognition complex (ORC) mediates histone 3 lysine 4 methylation through cooperation with Spp1 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:33803-7 pubmed publisher..Using the yeast two-hybrid system, we identify a physical interaction between Orc2p and Spp1p, a member of the Set1 complex, and we demonstrate the interaction between the endogenous ORC and Spp1p by co-..
- Lee J, Shukla A, Schneider J, Swanson S, Washburn M, Florens L, et al. Histone crosstalk between H2B monoubiquitination and H3 methylation mediated by COMPASS. Cell. 2007;131:1084-96 pubmed..Cps35 is also required for proper H3K79 trimethylation. These findings offer insight into the molecular role of Cps35 in translating the H2B monoubiquitination signal into H3 methylation. ..
- Li S, Swanson S, Gogol M, Florens L, Washburn M, Workman J, et al. Serine and SAM Responsive Complex SESAME Regulates Histone Modification Crosstalk by Sensing Cellular Metabolism. Mol Cell. 2015;60:408-21 pubmed publisher..This leads to auto-regulation of PYK1 expression. Thus, our study provides insights into the mechanism of regulating gene expression, responding to cellular metabolism via chromatin modifications. ..
- Takahashi Y, Lee J, Swanson S, Saraf A, Florens L, Washburn M, et al. Regulation of H3K4 trimethylation via Cps40 (Spp1) of COMPASS is monoubiquitination independent: implication for a Phe/Tyr switch by the catalytic domain of Set1. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:3478-86 pubmed publisher..Another subunit, Cps40 (Spp1), interacts directly with Set1 and is only required for transitioning to trimethylation...
- Mulder K, Brenkman A, Inagaki A, van den Broek N, Timmers H. Regulation of histone H3K4 tri-methylation and PAF complex recruitment by the Ccr4-Not complex. Nucleic Acids Res. 2007;35:2428-39 pubmed..These results suggest a mechanism in which the Ccr4-Not complex functions parallel to or downstream of the Bur1/2 kinase to facilitate H3K4me3 via PAF complex recruitment. ..