Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SPO12
Alias: SDB21, Spo12p
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Parkes V, Johnston L. SPO12 and SIT4 suppress mutations in DBF2, which encodes a cell cycle protein kinase that is periodically expressed. Nucleic Acids Res. 1992;20:5617-23 pubmed..human small nuclear riboprotein, while the remaining two are genes which have been identified previously, SIT4 and SPO12. SIT4 is known to have a role in the cell cycle but the nature of the interaction between SIT4 and dbf2 is unclear...
- Mendoza M, Norden C, Durrer K, Rauter H, Uhlmann F, Barral Y. A mechanism for chromosome segregation sensing by the NoCut checkpoint. Nat Cell Biol. 2009;11:477-83 pubmed publisher..These findings provide the first evidence that NoCut is triggered by the interaction of acetylated chromatin with the passenger complex at the spindle midzone. ..
- Shirayama M, Matsui Y, Toh e A. Dominant mutant alleles of yeast protein kinase gene CDC15 suppress the lte1 defect in termination of M phase and genetically interact with CDC14. Mol Gen Genet. 1996;251:176-85 pubmed..We postulate that the cooperative action of Cdc14 and Cdc15 plays an essential role in the termination of M phase. ..
- Movshovich N, Fridman V, Gerson Gurwitz A, Shumacher I, Gertsberg I, Fich A, et al. Slk19-dependent mid-anaphase pause in kinesin-5-mutated cells. J Cell Sci. 2008;121:2529-39 pubmed publisher..Deletion of SLK19, but not SPO12, eliminated the mid-anaphase pause, caused premature anaphase onset and defects in DNA division during anaphase, ..
- Chaves S, Blobel G. Nuclear import of Spo12p, a protein essential for meiosis. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:17712-7 pubmedIn Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Spo12p is involved in mitosis and is essential for meiosis. We found that Spo12p is imported into the nucleus by the karyopherin Kap121p...
- Shah R, Jensen S, Frenz L, Johnson A, Johnston L. The Spo12 protein of Saccharomyces cerevisiae: a regulator of mitotic exit whose cell cycle-dependent degradation is mediated by the anaphase-promoting complex. Genetics. 2001;159:965-80 pubmedThe Spo12 protein plays a regulatory role in two of the most fundamental processes of biology, mitosis and meiosis, and yet its biochemical function remains elusive...
- Liang F, Richmond D, Wang Y. Coordination of chromatid separation and spindle elongation by antagonistic activities of mitotic and S-phase CDKs. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003319 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the tight temporal control of spindle elongation and cohesin cleavage assure orchestrated chromosome separation and spindle elongation. ..
- Rahal R, Amon A. The Polo-like kinase Cdc5 interacts with FEAR network components and Cdc14. Cell Cycle. 2008;7:3262-72 pubmed..Finally, we present evidence that the Cdc5-Cdc14 association is direct, further supporting the central role of Cdc5 in Cdc14 localization. ..
- Falk J, Campbell I, Joyce K, Whalen J, Seshan A, Amon A. LTE1 promotes exit from mitosis by multiple mechanisms. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:3991-4001 pubmed..We conclude that control of the MEN by spindle position is exerted by both negative and positive regulatory elements that control the pathway's GTPase activity. ..
- Gruneberg U, Campbell K, Simpson C, Grindlay J, Schiebel E. Nud1p links astral microtubule organization and the control of exit from mitosis. EMBO J. 2000;19:6475-88 pubmed..Thus, in nud1-2 cells the failure of Tem1p to interact with Cdc15p at the SPB probably prevents mitotic exit. ..
- Toyn J, Johnston L. Spo12 is a limiting factor that interacts with the cell cycle protein kinases Dbf2 and Dbf20, which are involved in mitotic chromatid disjunction. Genetics. 1993;135:963-71 pubmed..mutant Dbf2 protein blocks the function of Dbf20 protein by sequestering a common interacting protein encoded by SPO12. Even a single extra copy of SPO12 is sufficient to suppress the dbf2 defect...
- Morishita T, Mitsuzawa H, Nakafuku M, Nakamura S, Hattori S, Anraku Y. Requirement of Saccharomyces cerevisiae Ras for completion of mitosis. Science. 1995;270:1213-5 pubmed..The lethality of the triple disruption was suppressed by the multicopies of CDC5, CDC15, DBF2, SPO12, and TEM1, all of which function in the completion of the M phase...
- Klapholz S, Esposito R. Isolation of SPO12-1 and SPO13-1 from a natural variant of yeast that undergoes a single meiotic division. Genetics. 1980;96:567-88 pubmed..From these tetraploids, we have isolated two recessive alleles, designated spo12-1 and spo13-1, each of which alone results in the production of asci with two diploid or near-diploid spores...
- Grether M, Herskowitz I. Genetic and biochemical characterization of the yeast spo12 protein. Mol Biol Cell. 1999;10:3689-703 pubmed..we identified several genes, three of which are meiotically induced, that may code for proteins that interact with Spo12p. We also observed that two genes, BNS1 (Bypasses Need for Spo12p), which has homology to SPO12, and SPO13, whose ..
- Aerne B, Johnson A, Toyn J, Johnston L. Swi5 controls a novel wave of cyclin synthesis in late mitosis. Mol Biol Cell. 1998;9:945-56 pubmed..Consistent with this a synthetic interaction was observed between pho85delta and strains deleted for SIC1, SWI5, and SPO12. These and other studies support the notion that the M/G1 switch is a major cell cycle transition.
- Molero G, Yuste Rojas M, Montesi A, Vazquez A, Nombela C, Sanchez M. A cdc-like autolytic Saccharomyces cerevisiae mutant altered in budding site selection is complemented by SPO12, a sporulation gene. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:6562-70 pubmed..This was the sporulation-specific gene SPO12, which is expressed under the control of the locus MAT in meiosis and is also expressed in the mitotic cycle (V...
- Geymonat M, Spanos A, Jensen S, Sedgwick S. Phosphorylation of Lte1 by Cdk prevents polarized growth during mitotic arrest in S. cerevisiae. J Cell Biol. 2010;191:1097-112 pubmed publisher..Thus, Lte1 has dual functions for regulation of mitotic progression: it both induces mitotic exit and prevents polarized growth during mitotic arrest, thereby coupling cell cycle progression and morphological development. ..
- Godfrey M, Kuilman T, Uhlmann F. Nur1 dephosphorylation confers positive feedback to mitotic exit phosphatase activation in budding yeast. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1004907 pubmed publisher..Nur1 dephosphorylation thus describes a positive feedback loop in Cdc14 phosphatase activation during mitotic exit, required for faithful chromosome segregation and completion of the cell division cycle. ..
- Scarfone I, Venturetti M, Hotz M, Lengefeld J, Barral Y, Piatti S. Asymmetry of the budding yeast Tem1 GTPase at spindle poles is required for spindle positioning but not for mitotic exit. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1004938 pubmed publisher..Thus, asymmetry of the Bub2/Bfa1/Tem1 complex is crucial to control Kar9 distribution and spindle positioning during mitosis. ..
- Yellman C, Roeder G. Cdc14 Early Anaphase Release, FEAR, Is Limited to the Nucleus and Dispensable for Efficient Mitotic Exit. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0128604 pubmed publisher..Our findings clarify the distinction between FEAR and MEN-dependent Cdc14 activities and will help guide emerging quantitative models of this cell cycle transition. ..
- Marston A, Lee B, Amon A. The Cdc14 phosphatase and the FEAR network control meiotic spindle disassembly and chromosome segregation. Dev Cell. 2003;4:711-26 pubmed..Cells lacking the protein phosphatase CDC14 or its regulators, SPO12 and SLK19, undergo only a single meiotic division, with some chromosomes segregating reductionally and others ..
- D Aquino K, Monje Casas F, Paulson J, Reiser V, Charles G, Lai L, et al. The protein kinase Kin4 inhibits exit from mitosis in response to spindle position defects. Mol Cell. 2005;19:223-34 pubmed
- Hatano Y, Naoki K, Suzuki A, Ushimaru T. Positive feedback promotes mitotic exit via the APC/C-Cdh1-separase-Cdc14 axis in budding yeast. Cell Signal. 2016;28:1545-54 pubmed publisher..Thus, the positive feedback promotes mitotic exit via the APC/C-Cdh1-separase-Cdc14 axis. This study shows the importance of the two-step degradation mode of securin and the role of separase in mitotic exit. ..