Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SPC97
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Kollman J, Zelter A, Muller E, Fox B, Rice L, Davis T, et al. The structure of the gamma-tubulin small complex: implications of its architecture and flexibility for microtubule nucleation. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:207-15 pubmed..We propose that further movement of the mobile arm is required to bring the gamma-tubulins together in microtubule-like interactions, and provide a template for microtubule growth. ..
- Nguyen T, Vinh D, Crawford D, Davis T. A genetic analysis of interactions with Spc110p reveals distinct functions of Spc97p and Spc98p, components of the yeast gamma-tubulin complex. Mol Biol Cell. 1998;9:2201-16 pubmed..Using the two-hybrid assay, we show that the interactions of Spc110p with Spc97p and Spc98p are not equivalent...
- Bullitt E, Rout M, Kilmartin J, Akey C. The yeast spindle pole body is assembled around a central crystal of Spc42p. Cell. 1997;89:1077-86 pubmed..Overexpression of Spc42p results in the growth of a similar layer, forming a crystal that encircles the SPB. Hence, the SPB is an MTOC that utilizes crystallographic packing of subunits in its construction. ..
- Pereira G, Grueneberg U, Knop M, Schiebel E. Interaction of the yeast gamma-tubulin complex-binding protein Spc72p with Kar1p is essential for microtubule function during karyogamy. EMBO J. 1999;18:4180-95 pubmed..Taken together, these observations suggest that the relocalization of Spc72p within the spindle pole body is the 'landmark' event in the pheromone-induced reorganization of the cytoplasmic microtubules. ..
- Erlemann S, Neuner A, Gombos L, Gibeaux R, Antony C, Schiebel E. An extended ?-tubulin ring functions as a stable platform in microtubule nucleation. J Cell Biol. 2012;197:59-74 pubmed publisher..The ?-tubulin small complex (?-TuSC) consists of two molecules of ?-tubulin and one molecule each of Spc97 and Spc98. In vitro, ?-TuSCs oligomerize into spirals of 13 ?-tubulin molecules per turn...
- Zizlsperger N, Malashkevich V, Pillay S, Keating A. Analysis of coiled-coil interactions between core proteins of the spindle pole body. Biochemistry. 2008;47:11858-68 pubmed publisher..These data contribute to a growing body of knowledge that will ultimately provide a detailed model of the SPB structure. ..
- Park J, Park C, Sakchaisri K, Karpova T, Asano S, McNally J, et al. Novel functional dissection of the localization-specific roles of budding yeast polo kinase Cdc5p. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:9873-86 pubmed..Thus, SPB- and the bud-neck-localized Cdc5p control most of the critical Cdc5p functions and downregulation of Bfa1p and Swe1p at the respective locations are two critical factors that require Cdc5p. ..
- Gombos L, Neuner A, Berynskyy M, Fava L, Wade R, Sachse C, et al. GTP regulates the microtubule nucleation activity of ?-tubulin. Nat Cell Biol. 2013;15:1317-27 pubmed publisher..In vitro and in vivo data show that only ?-tubulin loaded with GTP nucleates microtubules. Our results suggest that GTP recruitment to ?-tubulin enhances its interaction with ??-tubulin similarly to GTP recruitment to ?-tubulin...
- Kollman J, Greenberg C, Li S, Moritz M, Zelter A, Fong K, et al. Ring closure activates yeast Î³TuRC for species-specific microtubule nucleation. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2015;22:132-7 pubmed publisher..Finally, we demonstrate that Î³TuRCs have a strong preference for tubulin from the same species. ..
- Lyon A, Morin G, Moritz M, Yabut K, Vojnar T, Zelter A, et al. Higher-order oligomerization of Spc110p drives ?-tubulin ring complex assembly. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:2245-58 pubmed publisher..We conclude that precise spatial control over MT nucleation is achieved by coupling localization and higher-order oligomerization of the receptor for ?TuRC. ..
- Choy R, Kollman J, Zelter A, Davis T, Agard D. Localization and orientation of the gamma-tubulin small complex components using protein tags as labels for single particle EM. J Struct Biol. 2009;168:571-4 pubmed publisher..gamma-TuSC is a heterotetramer with two copies of gamma-tubulin and one copy each of Spc98p and Spc97p. Previously, the structure of gamma-TuSC was determined by single particle electron microscopy (EM) at 25A ..
- Geissler S, Siegers K, Schiebel E. A novel protein complex promoting formation of functional alpha- and gamma-tubulin. EMBO J. 1998;17:952-66 pubmed..We suggest that the Gim proteins form a protein complex that promotes formation of functional alpha- and gamma-tubulin...
- Winsor B, Schiebel E. Review: an overview of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae microtubule and microfilament cytoskeleton. Yeast. 1997;13:399-434 pubmed
- Snead J, Sullivan M, Lowery D, Cohen M, Zhang C, Randle D, et al. A coupled chemical-genetic and bioinformatic approach to Polo-like kinase pathway exploration. Chem Biol. 2007;14:1261-72 pubmed..Finally, an examination of Cdc5 binding by SPB-localized proteins expanded our knowledge of Cdc5 function at the SPB. ..
- Niepel M, Strambio de Castillia C, Fasolo J, Chait B, Rout M. The nuclear pore complex-associated protein, Mlp2p, binds to the yeast spindle pole body and promotes its efficient assembly. J Cell Biol. 2005;170:225-35 pubmed..Based on these data, we propose that Mlp2p links the SPB to the peripheral Mlp assembly, and that this linkage is required for efficient incorporation of components into the SPB. ..
- Li P, Shao Y, Jin H, Yu H. Ndj1, a telomere-associated protein, regulates centrosome separation in budding yeast meiosis. J Cell Biol. 2015;209:247-59 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal the underlying mechanism that coordinates yeast centrosome dynamics with meiotic telomere movement and cell cycle progression. ..