Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SOD2
Description: superoxide dismutase SOD2
Alias: superoxide dismutase SOD2
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Weinberger M, Mesquita A, Caroll T, Marks L, Yang H, Zhang Z, et al. Growth signaling promotes chronological aging in budding yeast by inducing superoxide anions that inhibit quiescence. Aging (Albany NY). 2010;2:709-26 pubmed..A similar mechanism likely contributes to aging and age-related diseases in complex eukaryotes. ..
- Wu X, Li L, Jiang H. Doa1 targets ubiquitinated substrates for mitochondria-associated degradation. J Cell Biol. 2016;213:49-63 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results demonstrate the essential role of the Doa1-Cdc48(-Ufd1-Npl4)complex in mitochondrial proteostasis and suggest that Doa1 plays dual roles on the Cdc48 complex. ..
- Kang Y, He Y, Zhao M, Li W. Structures of native and Fe-substituted SOD2 from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Acta Crystallogr Sect F Struct Biol Cryst Commun. 2011;67:1173-8 pubmed publisherThe manganese-specific superoxide dismutase SOD2 from the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae is a protein that resides in the mitochondrion and protects it against attack by superoxide radicals...
- Reddi A, Culotta V. Regulation of manganese antioxidants by nutrient sensing pathways in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2011;189:1261-70 pubmed publisher..Our observed roles for nutrient and stress response kinases and transcription factors in regulating the Mn antioxidant underscore its physiological importance in aerobic fitness. ..
- FranÃ§a M, Lima K, Eleutherio E. Oxidative Stress and Amyloid Toxicity: Insights From Yeast. J Cell Biochem. 2017;118:1442-1452 pubmed publisher..were more sensitive to AÎ² toxicity than the wild type strain, while mitochondrial superoxide dismutase (Sod2) deficient cells displayed the highest frequency of petites...
- Kaniak A, Dzierzbicki P, Rogowska A, Malc E, Fikus M, Ciesla Z. Msh1p counteracts oxidative lesion-induced instability of mtDNA and stimulates mitochondrial recombination in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. DNA Repair (Amst). 2009;8:318-29 pubmed publisher..allele, encoding a variant of the protein defective in the ATP hydrolysis activity, combined with deletion of SOD2, encoding the mitochondrial superoxide dismutase, displays a synergistic effect on the frequency of Oli(r) mutants, ..
- Sheng Y, Stich T, Barnese K, Gralla E, Cascio D, Britt R, et al. Comparison of two yeast MnSODs: mitochondrial Saccharomyces cerevisiae versus cytosolic Candida albicans. J Am Chem Soc. 2011;133:20878-89 pubmed publisher..Our studies on yeast MnSODs indicate the unique nature of human MnSOD in that it predominantly undergoes the inhibited pathway at high [O(2)(-)]. ..
- Heo J, Livnat Levanon N, Taylor E, Jones K, Dephoure N, Ring J, et al. A stress-responsive system for mitochondrial protein degradation. Mol Cell. 2010;40:465-80 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that Vms1 is a required component of an evolutionarily conserved system for mitochondrial protein degradation, which is necessary to maintain mitochondrial, cellular, and organismal viability. ..
- Culotta V, Joh H, Lin S, Slekar K, Strain J. A physiological role for Saccharomyces cerevisiae copper/zinc superoxide dismutase in copper buffering. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:29991-7 pubmed..While overexpression of SOD1 enhanced copper resistance, a deletion of SOD1, but not SOD2 (encoding manganese SOD), conferred an increased sensitivity toward copper...
- Naranuntarat A, Jensen L, Pazicni S, Penner Hahn J, Culotta V. The interaction of mitochondrial iron with manganese superoxide dismutase. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:22633-40 pubmed publisherSuperoxide dismutase 2 (SOD2) is one of the rare mitochondrial enzymes evolved to use manganese as a cofactor over the more abundant element iron...
- Roehrs R, Freitas D, Masuda A, Henriques J, Guecheva T, Ramos A, et al. Effect of vitamin A treatment on superoxide dismutase-deficient yeast strains. Arch Microbiol. 2010;192:221-8 pubmed publisher..However, the induction of GPx activity is not sufficient to prevent the Vit A-induced cell death in these mutants in exponential phase growth. ..
- Wu C, Steffen J, Eide D. Cytosolic superoxide dismutase (SOD1) is critical for tolerating the oxidative stress of zinc deficiency in yeast. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e7061 pubmed publisher..Thus, these data indicate that while Sod1 activity is critical for low zinc growth, diminished Sod1 activity is not a major source of the elevated ROS observed under these conditions. ..
- Batova M, Klobucnikova V, Oblasova Z, Gregan J, Zahradnik P, Hapala I, et al. Chemogenomic and transcriptome analysis identifies mode of action of the chemosensitizing agent CTBT (7-chlorotetrazolo[5,1-c]benzo[1,2,4]triazine). BMC Genomics. 2010;11:153 pubmed publisher..We conclude that CTBT causes intracellular superoxide production and oxidative stress in fungal cells and is thus enhancing antimycotic drug effects by a secondary stress. ..
- Zyrina A, Smirnova E, Markova O, Severin F, Knorre D. Mitochondrial Superoxide Dismutase and Yap1p Act as a Signaling Module Contributing to Ethanol Tolerance of the Yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2017;83: pubmed publisher..Here we studied the role of Sod2p in ethanol tolerance of yeast. First, we found that repression of SOD2 prevents ethanol-induced relocalization of yeast hydrogen peroxide-sensing transcription factor Yap1p, one of the ..
- Favre C, Aguilar P, Carrillo M. Oxidative stress and chronological aging in glycogen-phosphorylase-deleted yeast. Free Radic Biol Med. 2008;45:1446-56 pubmed publisher..Gph1p seems to be a candidate in a scenario that could link early metabolic changes with other targets of the stress response during stationary-phase survival. ..
- Pan Y, Schroeder E, Ocampo A, Barrientos A, Shadel G. Regulation of yeast chronological life span by TORC1 via adaptive mitochondrial ROS signaling. Cell Metab. 2011;13:668-78 pubmed publisher..Considering the conservation of TOR-pathway effects on life span, mitochondrial ROS signaling may be an important mechanism of longevity regulation in higher organisms. ..
- Starovoytova A, Sorokin M, Sokolov S, Severin F, Knorre D. Mitochondrial signaling in Saccharomyces cerevisiae pseudohyphae formation induced by butanol. FEMS Yeast Res. 2013;13:367-74 pubmed publisher..These mitochondria-activated signaling pathways appear to converge at Mih1p level. ..
- Manfredini V, Duarte Martins V, Ruaro Peralba M, Silveira Benfato M. Adaptative response to enhanced basal oxidative damage in sod mutants from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biochem. 2005;276:175-81 pubmed..Thus, both direct and indirect GSH pathways are involved in the protection of lipid membranes and proteins in these mutants and may constitute an adaptative response to enhanced basal oxidative damage produced by superoxide. ..
- Ravindranath S, Fridovich I. Isolation and characterization of a manganese-containing superoxide dismutase from yeast. J Biol Chem. 1975;250:6107-12 pubmed..8. Crystals of high quality were easily prepared. ..
- Devasahayam G, Burke D, Sturgill T. Golgi manganese transport is required for rapamycin signaling in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2007;177:231-8 pubmed..Overexpression of Ccc1, a Fe2+ and Mn2+ transporter that has been localized to Golgi and the vacuole, does restore rapamycin sensitivity to pmr1Delta. We conclude that Mn2+ in the Golgi inhibits TORC1 signaling. ..
- Liu X, Elashvili I, Gralla E, Valentine J, Lapinskas P, Culotta V. Yeast lacking superoxide dismutase. Isolation of genetic suppressors. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:18298-302 pubmed..to being hypersensitive to oxygen toxicity, strains containing deletions in both the SOD1 (encoding Cu/Zn-SOD) and SOD2 (encoding Mn-SOD) genes are defective in sporulation, are associated with a high mutation rate, and are unable to ..
- Bohovych I, Donaldson G, Christianson S, Zahayko N, Khalimonchuk O. Stress-triggered activation of the metalloprotease Oma1 involves its C-terminal region and is important for mitochondrial stress protection in yeast. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:13259-72 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that yeast Oma1 is an important player in IM protein homeostasis and integrity by acting in concert with other intramitochondrial quality control components. ..
- Longo V, Liou L, Valentine J, Gralla E. Mitochondrial superoxide decreases yeast survival in stationary phase. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1999;365:131-42 pubmed..These results raise the possibility that similar processes may occur in higher eukaryotes...
- LalÃ¨ve A, ValliÃ¨res C, Golinelli Cohen M, Bouton C, Song Z, Pawlik G, et al. The antimalarial drug primaquine targets Fe-S cluster proteins and yeast respiratory growth. Redox Biol. 2016;7:21-29 pubmed publisher..of primaquine was restricted to cells that relied on respiratory function to proliferate and that deletion of SOD2 encoding the mitochondrial superoxide dismutase severely increased its effect, which can be countered by the ..
- Lushchak O, Nykorak N, Ohdate T, Inoue Y, Lushchak V. Inactivation of genes encoding superoxide dismutase modifies yeast response to S-nitrosoglutathione-induced stress. Biochemistry (Mosc). 2009;74:445-51 pubmed..A GSNO-induced increase in oxidized glutathione level in the studied yeast strains might account for cell killing by GSNO due to the development of oxidative/nitrosative stress. ..
- Sadowska Bartosz I, Pączka A, Mołoń M, Bartosz G. Dimethyl sulfoxide induces oxidative stress in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. FEMS Yeast Res. 2013;13:820-30 pubmed publisher..Saccharomyces cerevisiae wt strain EG-103 and its mutants ?sod1, ?sod2, and ?sod1 ?sod2 were used. Yeast were subjected to the action of 1-14% DMSO for 1 h at 28 °C...
- Zhao W, Fang B, Niu Y, Liu Y, Liu B, Peng Q, et al. Nar1 deficiency results in shortened lifespan and sensitivity to paraquat that is rescued by increased expression of mitochondrial superoxide dismutase. Mech Ageing Dev. 2014;138:53-8 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that Nar1p promotes protection against oxidative stress and define a new role for Nar1p in promoting replicative lifespan. ..
- Milgrom E, Diab H, Middleton F, Kane P. Loss of vacuolar proton-translocating ATPase activity in yeast results in chronic oxidative stress. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:7125-36 pubmed..The results indicate that V-ATPase activity helps to protect cells from endogenous oxidative stress. ..
- de Carvalho M, De Mesquita J, Eleutherio E. In Vivo Characterization of I91T Sod2 Polymorphism of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Cell Biochem. 2017;118:1078-1086 pubmed publisherThe mitochondrial antioxidant enzyme Mn-Superoxide Dismutase (Sod2) is essential for mammalian survival...
- Manfredini V, Roehrs R, Peralba M, Henriques J, Saffi J, Ramos A, et al. Glutathione peroxidase induction protects Saccharomyces cerevisiae sod1deltasod2delta double mutants against oxidative damage. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2004;37:159-65 pubmed
- van Loon A, Pesold Hurt B, Schatz G. A yeast mutant lacking mitochondrial manganese-superoxide dismutase is hypersensitive to oxygen. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1986;83:3820-4 pubmed..However, increasing concentrations of oxygen led to a progressive inhibition of growth. The properties of this mutant provide direct evidence that MnSOD contributes to the natural protection of cells against oxygen toxicity. ..
- Srinivasan C, Liba A, Imlay J, Valentine J, Gralla E. Yeast lacking superoxide dismutase(s) show elevated levels of "free iron" as measured by whole cell electron paramagnetic resonance. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:29187-92 pubmed..elevated levels were found in strains lacking CuZn-superoxide dismutase (CuZn-SOD) (sod1 delta), Mn-SOD (sod2 delta), or both SODs, throughout their growth but particularly in stationary phase...
- Baron J, Laws K, Chen J, Culotta V. Superoxide triggers an acid burst in Saccharomyces cerevisiae to condition the environment of glucose-starved cells. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:4557-66 pubmed publisher..Yeast mutants lacking the mitochondrial matrix superoxide dismutase (SOD2) enzyme, but not the cytosolic Cu,Zn-SOD1 enzyme, exhibited marked acceleration in production of acid on non-..