Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SNF7
Description: ESCRT-III subunit protein SNF7
Alias: DID1, RNS4, VPL5, VPS32, ESCRT-III subunit protein SNF7
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Babst M, Wendland B, Estepa E, Emr S. The Vps4p AAA ATPase regulates membrane association of a Vps protein complex required for normal endosome function. EMBO J. 1998;17:2982-93 pubmed..Together, the data suggest that the Vps4 ATPase catalyzes the release (uncoating) of an endosomal membrane-associated class E protein complex(es) required for normal morphology and sorting activity of the endosome. ..
- Richter C, West M, Odorizzi G. Doa4 function in ILV budding is restricted through its interaction with the Vps20 subunit of ESCRT-III. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:1881-90 pubmed publisher..This rescue in ILV biogenesis requires Doa4 expression but is independent of its Ub hydrolase activity. Thus, binding of Vps20 to the Doa4 N-terminus inhibits a non-catalytic function of Doa4 that promotes ILV formation. ..
- Rue S, Mattei S, Saksena S, Emr S. Novel Ist1-Did2 complex functions at a late step in multivesicular body sorting. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:475-84 pubmed..We propose a model in which the Ist1-Did2 and Vta1-Vps60 complexes independently modulate late steps in the MVB-sorting pathway. ..
- Buchkovich N, Henne W, Tang S, Emr S. Essential N-terminal insertion motif anchors the ESCRT-III filament during MVB vesicle formation. Dev Cell. 2013;27:201-214 pubmed publisher..this N-terminal motif with well-characterized membrane insertion modules, we demonstrate that the N terminus of Snf7 has been tuned to maintain the topological constraints associated with ESCRT-III-filament-mediated membrane ..
- Wemmer M, Azmi I, West M, Davies B, Katzmann D, Odorizzi G. Bro1 binding to Snf7 regulates ESCRT-III membrane scission activity in yeast. J Cell Biol. 2011;192:295-306 pubmed publisher..The Snf7 subunit of ESCRT-III in yeast binds directly to an auxiliary protein, Bro1...
- Vajjhala P, Nguyen C, Landsberg M, Kistler C, Gan A, King G, et al. The Vps4 C-terminal helix is a critical determinant for assembly and ATPase activity and has elements conserved in other members of the meiotic clade of AAA ATPases. FEBS J. 2008;275:1427-49 pubmed publisher..We propose that Vps4 SRH function requires an intact C-terminal helix. Co-evolution of a distinct Vps4 SRH and C-terminal helix in meiotic clade AAA ATPases supports this possibility. ..
- Lottridge J, Flannery A, Vincelli J, Stevens T. Vta1p and Vps46p regulate the membrane association and ATPase activity of Vps4p at the yeast multivesicular body. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:6202-7 pubmed..These results reveal functional roles for the Vps46p and Vta1p proteins in regulating the ESCRT complex assembly/disassembly cycle in protein sorting at the yeast late endosome. ..
- Teis D, Saksena S, Judson B, Emr S. ESCRT-II coordinates the assembly of ESCRT-III filaments for cargo sorting and multivesicular body vesicle formation. EMBO J. 2010;29:871-83 pubmed publisher..The first step of ESCRT-III assembly is mediated by Vps20, which nucleates Snf7/Vps32 oligomerization, and serves as the link to ESCRT-II...
- Davies B, Azmi I, Payne J, Shestakova A, Horazdovsky B, Babst M, et al. Coordination of substrate binding and ATP hydrolysis in Vps4-mediated ESCRT-III disassembly. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:3396-408 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Vps4 functions as a stable oligomer that acts upon individual ESCRT-III subunits to facilitate ESCRT-III disassembly. ..
- Babst M, Katzmann D, Estepa Sabal E, Meerloo T, Emr S. Escrt-III: an endosome-associated heterooligomeric protein complex required for mvb sorting. Dev Cell. 2002;3:271-82 pubmed..The soluble coiled-coil-containing proteins Vps2, Vps20, Vps24, and Snf7 are recruited from the cytoplasm to endosomal membranes where they oligomerize into a protein complex, ESCRT-III...
- Wolters N, Amerik A. The N-terminal domains determine cellular localization and functions of the Doa4 and Ubp5 deubiquitinating enzymes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2015;467:570-6 pubmed publisher..Here we show that Doa4 physically interacts with the ESCRT-III component Snf7 and preferentially cleaves Lys63-linked ubiquitin oligomers involved in membrane protein trafficking...
- Zhao Y, Du J, Xiong B, Xu H, Jiang L. ESCRT components regulate the expression of the ER/Golgi calcium pump gene PMR1 through the Rim101/Nrg1 pathway in budding yeast. J Mol Cell Biol. 2013;5:336-44 pubmed publisher..Here we show that deletion mutation of ESCRT components Snf7, Snf8, Stp22, Vps20, Vps25, Vps28, or Vps36 activates the calcium/calcineurin signaling in yeast cells, but ..
- Tomishige N, Noda Y, Adachi H, Shimoi H, Yoda K. SKG1, a suppressor gene of synthetic lethality of kex2Deltagas1Delta mutations, encodes a novel membrane protein that affects cell wall composition. Yeast. 2005;22:141-55 pubmed..Thus SKG1 encodes a novel protein that affects the cell wall polymer composition in the growing region of the cell. ..
- Shi Y, Stefan C, Rue S, Teis D, Emr S. Two novel WD40 domain-containing proteins, Ere1 and Ere2, function in the retromer-mediated endosomal recycling pathway. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:4093-107 pubmed publisher..Moreover, a complex containing the two novel proteins Ere1 and Ere2 mediates cargo-specific recognition by the retromer pathway. ..
- Tahirovic S, Schorr M, Mayinger P. Regulation of intracellular phosphatidylinositol-4-phosphate by the Sac1 lipid phosphatase. Traffic. 2005;6:116-30 pubmed..We conclude that Sac1p functions in confining PtdIns(4)P-dependent processes to specific intracellular membranes. ..
- Peters T, Miller A, Tourette C, Agren H, Hubbard A, Hughes R. Genomic Analysis of ATP Efflux in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. G3 (Bethesda). 2015;6:161-70 pubmed publisher..These results will facilitate analysis of ATP efflux mechanisms in higher eukaryotes. ..
- Unno K, Juvvadi P, Nakajima H, Shirahige K, Kitamoto K. Identification and characterization of rns4/vps32 mutation in the RNase T1 expression-sensitive strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae: Evidence for altered ambient response resulting in transportation of the secretory protein to vacuoles. FEMS Yeast Res. 2005;5:801-12 pubmed..In the present study, rns4 (VPS32/SNF7) gene mutation was identified by complementation of tunicamycin sensitivity...
- Curwin A, Brouwers N, Alonso Y Adell M, Teis D, Turacchio G, Parashuraman S, et al. ESCRT-III drives the final stages of CUPS maturation for unconventional protein secretion. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..The major ESCRT-III subunit Snf7 localizes transiently to CUPS and this was accelerated in vps4? cells, correlating with increased Acb1 secretion...
- Tu J, Vallier L, Carlson M. Molecular and genetic analysis of the SNF7 gene in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 1993;135:17-23 pubmedMutations in the SNF7 gene of Saccharomyces cerevisiae prevent full derepression of the SUC2 (invertase) gene in response to glucose limitation. We report the molecular cloning of the SNF7 gene by complementation...
- Rothfels K, Tanny J, Molnár E, Friesen H, Commisso C, Segall J. Components of the ESCRT pathway, DFG16, and YGR122w are required for Rim101 to act as a corepressor with Nrg1 at the negative regulatory element of the DIT1 gene of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:6772-88 pubmed..Interestingly, Rim101 was processed in bro1 and doa4 strains but was unable to mediate efficient repression. ..
- Nikko E, Andre B. Split-ubiquitin two-hybrid assay to analyze protein-protein interactions at the endosome: application to Saccharomyces cerevisiae Bro1 interacting with ESCRT complexes, the Doa4 ubiquitin hydrolase, and the Rsp5 ubiquitin ligase. Eukaryot Cell. 2007;6:1266-77 pubmed..Our data indicate that Bro1 interacts with several ESCRT components and contributes via its PRD to associating ubiquitinating and deubiquitinating enzymes with the MVB sorting machinery. ..
- Jensen L, Carroll M, Hall M, Harvey C, Beese S, Culotta V. Down-regulation of a manganese transporter in the face of metal toxicity. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:2810-9 pubmed publisher..We provide evidence that manganese starvation is sensed within the lumen of the secretory pathway, whereas manganese toxicity is sensed within an extra-Golgi/cytosolic compartment of the cell. ..
- Amerik A, Nowak J, Swaminathan S, Hochstrasser M. The Doa4 deubiquitinating enzyme is functionally linked to the vacuolar protein-sorting and endocytic pathways. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:3365-80 pubmed
- Tang S, Buchkovich N, Henne W, Banjade S, Kim Y, Emr S. ESCRT-III activation by parallel action of ESCRT-I/II and ESCRT-0/Bro1 during MVB biogenesis. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..Previously, we determined X-ray crystal structures of ESCRT-III subunit Snf7, the yeast CHMP4 ortholog, in its active and polymeric state (Tang et al., 2015)...
- Snoek I, Tai S, Pronk J, Yde Steensma H, Daran J. Involvement of Snf7p and Rim101p in the transcriptional regulation of TIR1 and other anaerobically upregulated genes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. FEMS Yeast Res. 2010;10:367-84 pubmed publisher..These results provide new evidence on the implication of the Rim101p cascade in the transcriptional regulation of anaerobic metabolism in S. cerevisiae. ..
- Obara K, Kihara A. The Rim101 pathway contributes to ER stress adaptation through sensing the state of plasma membrane. Biochem J. 2017;474:51-63 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the Rim101 pathway is important for the adaptation to ER stress by compensating for alterations in PM lipid asymmetry induced by ER stress. ..
- PÃ©rez Sampietro M, Herrero E. The PacC-family protein Rim101 prevents selenite toxicity in Saccharomyces cerevisiae by controlling vacuolar acidification. Fungal Genet Biol. 2014;71:76-85 pubmed publisher..In addition, a parallel Rim101-independent pathway requiring the complete ESCRT machinery (including the ESCRT-0 complex) also participates in protection against selenite. ..
- Sciskala B, Kölling R. Interaction maps of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae ESCRT-III protein Snf7. Eukaryot Cell. 2013;12:1538-46 pubmed publisherThe Saccharomyces cerevisiae ESCRT-III protein Snf7 is part of an intricate interaction network at the endosomal membrane...
- Adell M, Vogel G, Pakdel M, M ller M, Lindner H, Hess M, et al. Coordinated binding of Vps4 to ESCRT-III drives membrane neck constriction during MVB vesicle formation. J Cell Biol. 2014;205:33-49 pubmed publisher..ESCRT-II also initiates the assembly of a ringlike ESCRT-III filament consisting of Vps20, Snf7, Vps24, and Vps2...
- Webster B, Thaller D, Jager J, Ochmann S, Borah S, Lusk C. Chm7 and Heh1 collaborate to link nuclear pore complex quality control with nuclear envelope sealing. EMBO J. 2016;35:2447-2467 pubmed..We establish direct binding between Heh2 and the "open" forms of both Chm7 and the ESCRT-III, Snf7, and between Chm7 and Snf7...
- Logg K, Warringer J, Hashemi S, Käll M, Blomberg A. The sodium pump Ena1p provides mechanistic insight into the salt sensitivity of vacuolar protein sorting mutants. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2008;1783:974-84 pubmed publisher..the observation that overexpression of Ena1p could suppress the salt sensitivity of the ESCRT knockouts vps20Delta, snf7/vps32Delta and snf8/vps22Delta...
- Zhao Y, Xiong B, Xu H, Jiang L. Expression of NYV1 encoding the negative regulator of Pmc1 is repressed by two transcriptional repressors, Nrg1 and Mig1. FEBS Lett. 2014;588:3195-201 pubmed publisher..Deletion of ESCRTs increases Nrg1 binding, but not Mig1-binding, to the NYV1 promoter. Deletion of MIG1 increases calcium sensitivity of ESCRT mutants due to derepression of NYV1 expression. ..
- Xu W, Smith F, Subaran R, Mitchell A. Multivesicular body-ESCRT components function in pH response regulation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Candida albicans. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:5528-37 pubmed..These results indicate that the ESCRT complexes govern a specific signal transduction pathway and suggest that the MVB pathway may provide a signal that regulates pH-responsive transcription. ..
- Tang S, Henne W, Borbat P, Buchkovich N, Freed J, Mao Y, et al. Structural basis for activation, assembly and membrane binding of ESCRT-III Snf7 filaments. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Here, we determine X-ray crystal structures of the most abundant ESCRT-III subunit Snf7 in its active conformation...
- Chen Y, Taylor E, Dephoure N, Heo J, Tonhato A, Papandreou I, et al. Identification of a protein mediating respiratory supercomplex stability. Cell Metab. 2012;15:348-60 pubmed publisher..We suggest that Rcf1 is a member of an evolutionarily conserved protein family that acts to promote respiratory supercomplex assembly and activity. ..
- Eguez L, Chung Y, Kuchibhatla A, Paidhungat M, Garrett S. Yeast Mn2+ transporter, Smf1p, is regulated by ubiquitin-dependent vacuolar protein sorting. Genetics. 2004;167:107-17 pubmed..Because Smf1p is ubiquitinated in vivo, we propose that Smf1p is targeted to the vacuole for degradation by ubiquitination-dependent protein sorting. ..
- Weiss P, Huppert S, Kölling R. ESCRT-III protein Snf7 mediates high-level expression of the SUC2 gene via the Rim101 pathway. Eukaryot Cell. 2008;7:1888-94 pubmed publisherThe yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) Snf7 family consists of six highly charged, coiled-coil-forming proteins involved in multivesicular body (MVB) formation...
- Weiss P, Huppert S, Kölling R. Analysis of the dual function of the ESCRT-III protein Snf7 in endocytic trafficking and in gene expression. Biochem J. 2009;424:89-97 pubmed publisher..For the main ESCRT-III subunit Snf7, an additional role in activation of the transcription factor Rim101 (the 'Rim pathway') is now also firmly ..