Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SNF6
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Cote J, Quinn J, Workman J, Peterson C. Stimulation of GAL4 derivative binding to nucleosomal DNA by the yeast SWI/SNF complex. Science. 1994;265:53-60 pubmed..that the purified SWI/SNF complex is composed of 10 subunits and includes the SWI1, SWI2/SNF2, SWI3, SNF5, and SNF6 gene products...
- Smith C, Horowitz Scherer R, Flanagan J, Woodcock C, Peterson C. Structural analysis of the yeast SWI/SNF chromatin remodeling complex. Nat Struct Biol. 2003;10:141-5 pubmed..We also report a three-dimensional reconstruction of yeast SWI/SNF derived from electron micrographs. ..
- Laurent B, Treitel M, Carlson M. Functional interdependence of the yeast SNF2, SNF5, and SNF6 proteins in transcriptional activation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991;88:2687-91 pubmedThe SNF2, SNF5, and SNF6 genes of Saccharomyces cerevisiae are required for expression of a variety of differently regulated genes...
- Sen P, Ghosh S, Pugh B, Bartholomew B. A new, highly conserved domain in Swi2/Snf2 is required for SWI/SNF remodeling. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:9155-66 pubmed publisher..The SnAC domain positively regulates the catalytic activity of the ATPase domain of SWI/SNF to hydrolyze ATP without significantly affecting its affinity for ATP. ..
- Lee K, Prochasson P, Florens L, Swanson S, Washburn M, Workman J. Proteomic analysis of chromatin-modifying complexes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae identifies novel subunits. Biochem Soc Trans. 2004;32:899-903 pubmed..Our analysis identified two novel proteins, one associated with SAGA, YPL047W (Sgf11), and another associated with Swi/Snf, Rtt102. ..
- Kim H, Lee S, Kang H, Oh G, Kim T. Two distinct domains of Flo8 activator mediates its role in transcriptional activation and the physical interaction with Mss11. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2014;449:202-7 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings provide valuable clues for understanding the molecular mechanism of Flo8-mediated transcriptional control of multiple targets. ..
- Zhang Y, Smith C, Saha A, Grill S, Mihardja S, Smith S, et al. DNA translocation and loop formation mechanism of chromatin remodeling by SWI/SNF and RSC. Mol Cell. 2006;24:559-68 pubmed..Such loop formation may provide a molecular basis for the biological functions of remodelers. ..
- Smith C, Peterson C. Coupling tandem affinity purification and quantitative tyrosine iodination to determine subunit stoichiometry of protein complexes. Methods. 2003;31:104-9 pubmed
- Perez Martin J, Johnson A. The C-terminal domain of Sin1 interacts with the SWI-SNF complex in yeast. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:4157-64 pubmed..Based on these and additional results, we propose that Sin1 acts as a regulatable bridge between the SWI-SNF complex and the nucleosome. ..
- Yadav J, Muend S, Zhang Y, Rao R. A phenomics approach in yeast links proton and calcium pump function in the Golgi. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:1480-9 pubmed..We conclude that overlapping phenotypes with Pmr1 reveal Golgi-localized functions of the V-ATPase and emphasize the importance of calcium and proton transport in secretory/prevacuolar traffic. ..
- Saint M, Sawhney S, Sinha I, Singh R, Dahiya R, Thakur A, et al. The TAF9 C-terminal conserved region domain is required for SAGA and TFIID promoter occupancy to promote transcriptional activation. Mol Cell Biol. 2014;34:1547-63 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a crucial role for the Taf9 CRD in genome-wide transcription and highlight the importance of conserved domains, other than histone fold domains, as a common determinant for TFIID and SAGA functions. ..
- Tomar R, Zheng S, Brunke Reese D, Wolcott H, Reese J. Yeast Rap1 contributes to genomic integrity by activating DNA damage repair genes. EMBO J. 2008;27:1575-84 pubmed publisher..We propose that Rap1 acts as a rheostat controlling nucleotide pools in response to shortened telomeres and DNA damage, providing a mechanism for fine-tuning the RNR genes during checkpoint activation. ..
- Zhang L, Jones K, Smerdon M, Gong F. Assays for chromatin remodeling during nucleotide excision repair in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Methods. 2009;48:19-22 pubmed publisher..We have used the methods described here to demonstrate that the SWI/SNF chromatin remodeling complex is involved in chromatin rearrangement during NER. ..
- Neigeborn L, Rubin K, Carlson M. Suppressors of SNF2 mutations restore invertase derepression and cause temperature-sensitive lethality in yeast. Genetics. 1986;112:741-53 pubmed..The ssn20 mutations also suppressed the defects in invertase derepression caused by snf5 and snf6 mutations, and selection for invertase-producing revertants of snf5 mutants yielded only additional ssn20 alleles...
- Cairns B, Henry N, Kornberg R. TFG/TAF30/ANC1, a component of the yeast SWI/SNF complex that is similar to the leukemogenic proteins ENL and AF-9. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:3308-16 pubmedThe SWI1/ADR6, SWI2/SNF2, SWI3, SNF5, and SNF6 gene products are all required for proper transcriptional control of many genes in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae...
- Estruch F, Carlson M. SNF6 encodes a nuclear protein that is required for expression of many genes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1990;10:2544-53 pubmedThe SNF6 gene appears to affect transcription from a variety of promoters in Saccharomyces cerevisiae...
- Zhang Y, Anderson S, French S, Sikes M, Viktorovskaya O, Huband J, et al. The SWI/SNF chromatin remodeling complex influences transcription by RNA polymerase I in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e56793 pubmed publisher..Deletion of the genes encoding the Snf6p or Snf5p subunits of SWI/SNF was lethal in combination with mutations that impair Pol I transcription initiation ..
- Jedidi I, Zhang F, Qiu H, Stahl S, Palmer I, Kaufman J, et al. Activator Gcn4 employs multiple segments of Med15/Gal11, including the KIX domain, to recruit mediator to target genes in vivo. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:2438-55 pubmed publisher..Gcn4 is distinctive in relying on comparable contributions from multiple segments of Gal11 for efficient recruitment of Mediator in vivo. ..
- Gong F, Fahy D, Smerdon M. Rad4-Rad23 interaction with SWI/SNF links ATP-dependent chromatin remodeling with nucleotide excision repair. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2006;13:902-7 pubmedChromatin rearrangement occurs during nucleotide excision repair (NER). Here we show that Snf6 and Snf5, two subunits of the SWI/SNF chromatin-remodeling complex in Saccharomyces cerevisiae, copurify with the NER damage-recognition ..
- Yoon S, Hinnebusch A. Mcm1p binding sites in ARG1 positively regulate Gcn4p binding and SWI/SNF recruitment. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;381:123-8 pubmed publisher..We propose that Mcm1p contributes to active transcription at the ARG1 promoter by increasing the binding of the activator Gcn4p and by recruiting the co-activator complex SWI/SNF at ARG1 under Gcn4p-induced conditions. ..
- Holbein S, Wengi A, Decourty L, Freimoser F, Jacquier A, Dichtl B. Cordycepin interferes with 3' end formation in yeast independently of its potential to terminate RNA chain elongation. RNA. 2009;15:837-49 pubmed publisher..Finally, chemical-genetic profiling revealed genome-wide pathways linked to cordycepin activity and identified novel genes involved in poly(A) homeostasis. ..
- Hirschhorn J, Brown S, Clark C, Winston F. Evidence that SNF2/SWI2 and SNF5 activate transcription in yeast by altering chromatin structure. Genes Dev. 1992;6:2288-98 pubmed..Recent evidence suggests that a functionally related set of yeast transcriptional activators (SNF2/SWI2, SNF5, SNF6, SWI1, and SWI3), required for transcription of a diverse set of genes, may affect chromatin structure...
- Sanz A, Garcia R, Rodriguez Peña J, Diez Muñiz S, Nombela C, Peterson C, et al. Chromatin remodeling by the SWI/SNF complex is essential for transcription mediated by the yeast cell wall integrity MAPK pathway. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:2805-17 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results identify the SWI/SNF complex as a key element of the CWI MAPK pathway that mediates the chromatin remodeling necessary for adequate transcriptional response to cell wall stress. ..
- Krajewski W, Reese J. SET domains of histone methyltransferases recognize ISWI-remodeled nucleosomal species. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:552-64 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals novel insights into the mechanism of how SET domains recognize different chromatin states and specify histone methylation at active loci. ..
- Kapoor P, Bao Y, Xiao J, Luo J, Shen J, Persinger J, et al. Regulation of Mec1 kinase activity by the SWI/SNF chromatin remodeling complex. Genes Dev. 2015;29:591-602 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings identify a novel regulator of Mec1 kinase activity and suggest that ATP-dependent chromatin remodeling complexes can regulate nonchromatin substrates such as a checkpoint kinase. ..
- Zhang L, Fletcher A, Cheung V, Winston F, Stargell L. Spn1 regulates the recruitment of Spt6 and the Swi/Snf complex during transcriptional activation by RNA polymerase II. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:1393-403 pubmed..These findings link Spn1 functions to the transition from an inactive to an actively transcribing RNAPII complex at a postrecruitment-regulated promoter. ..
- Dechassa M, Hota S, Sen P, Chatterjee N, Prasad P, Bartholomew B. Disparity in the DNA translocase domains of SWI/SNF and ISW2. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:4412-21 pubmed publisher..These differences are likely mediated through interactions with the histone surface. The placement of SWI/SNF between the octamer and DNA could make it easier to disrupt histone-DNA interactions. ..