Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SNF5
Alias: HAF4, SWI10, TYE4, Snf5p
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Yang X, Zaurin R, Beato M, Peterson C. Swi3p controls SWI/SNF assembly and ATP-dependent H2A-H2B displacement. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2007;14:540-7 pubmed..Our data indicate that H2A-H2B dimer loss is not an obligatory consequence of ATP-dependent DNA translocation, and furthermore they suggest that SWI/SNF is composed of at least four interdependent modules. ..
- Smith C, Peterson C. A conserved Swi2/Snf2 ATPase motif couples ATP hydrolysis to chromatin remodeling. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:5880-92 pubmed..Interestingly, motif V of the human Swi2p/Snf2p homolog, Brg1p, has been shown to be a possible hot spot for mutational alterations associated with cancers. ..
- Xu F, Zhang K, Grunstein M. Acetylation in histone H3 globular domain regulates gene expression in yeast. Cell. 2005;121:375-85 pubmed..This allows recruitment of the nucleosome remodeling factor Snf5 and subsequent transcription...
- Ferreira M, Prochasson P, Berndt K, Workman J, Wright A. Activator-binding domains of the SWI/SNF chromatin remodeling complex characterized in vitro are required for its recruitment to promoters in vivo. FEBS J. 2009;276:2557-65 pubmed publisherInteraction between acidic activation domains and the activator-binding domains of Swi1 and Snf5 of the yeast SWI/SNF chromatin remodeling complex has previously been characterized in vitro...
- Yoon S, Qiu H, Swanson M, Hinnebusch A. Recruitment of SWI/SNF by Gcn4p does not require Snf2p or Gcn5p but depends strongly on SWI/SNF integrity, SRB mediator, and SAGA. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:8829-45 pubmed..It was shown previously that Snf2p/Swi2p, Snf5p, and Swi1p interact directly with Gcn4p in vitro...
- Smith C, Horowitz Scherer R, Flanagan J, Woodcock C, Peterson C. Structural analysis of the yeast SWI/SNF chromatin remodeling complex. Nat Struct Biol. 2003;10:141-5 pubmed..We also report a three-dimensional reconstruction of yeast SWI/SNF derived from electron micrographs. ..
- Treich I, Cairns B, de los Santos T, Brewster E, Carlson M. SNF11, a new component of the yeast SNF-SWI complex that interacts with a conserved region of SNF2. Mol Cell Biol. 1995;15:4240-8 pubmed..The complex has at least 10 components, including SNF2/SWI2, SNF5, SNF6, SWI1/ADR6, and SWI3, and has been widely conserved in eukaryotes...
- Cote J, Quinn J, Workman J, Peterson C. Stimulation of GAL4 derivative binding to nucleosomal DNA by the yeast SWI/SNF complex. Science. 1994;265:53-60 pubmed..it is shown that the purified SWI/SNF complex is composed of 10 subunits and includes the SWI1, SWI2/SNF2, SWI3, SNF5, and SNF6 gene products...
- Sen P, Vivas P, Dechassa M, Mooney A, Poirier M, Bartholomew B. The SnAC domain of SWI/SNF is a histone anchor required for remodeling. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:360-70 pubmed publisher..While the SnAC domain targets both the ATPase domain and histones, the SnAC domain as a histone anchor plays a more critical role in remodeling because it is required to convert DNA translocation into nucleosome movement. ..
- Natarajan K, Jackson B, Zhou H, Winston F, Hinnebusch A. Transcriptional activation by Gcn4p involves independent interactions with the SWI/SNF complex and the SRB/mediator. Mol Cell. 1999;4:657-64 pubmed
- Yoon S, Hinnebusch A. Mcm1p binding sites in ARG1 positively regulate Gcn4p binding and SWI/SNF recruitment. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;381:123-8 pubmed publisher..We propose that Mcm1p contributes to active transcription at the ARG1 promoter by increasing the binding of the activator Gcn4p and by recruiting the co-activator complex SWI/SNF at ARG1 under Gcn4p-induced conditions. ..
- Breeden L, Nasmyth K. Cell cycle control of the yeast HO gene: cis- and trans-acting regulators. Cell. 1987;48:389-97 pubmed..We also show that, in addition to SWI1 through SWI5, at least five other genes (SWI6 through SWI10) are required for HO transcription...
- Peterson C, Dingwall A, Scott M. Five SWI/SNF gene products are components of a large multisubunit complex required for transcriptional enhancement. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:2905-8 pubmedThe Saccharomyces cerevisiae SWI1, SWI2 (SNF2), SWI3, SNF5, and SNF6 gene products play a crucial role in the regulation of transcription...
- Zhang Y, Smith C, Saha A, Grill S, Mihardja S, Smith S, et al. DNA translocation and loop formation mechanism of chromatin remodeling by SWI/SNF and RSC. Mol Cell. 2006;24:559-68 pubmed..Such loop formation may provide a molecular basis for the biological functions of remodelers. ..
- Krajewski W, Reese J. SET domains of histone methyltransferases recognize ISWI-remodeled nucleosomal species. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:552-64 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals novel insights into the mechanism of how SET domains recognize different chromatin states and specify histone methylation at active loci. ..
- Minard L, Lin L, Schultz M. SWI/SNF and Asf1 independently promote derepression of the DNA damage response genes under conditions of replication stress. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e21633 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results show that the DDR genes fall into a class in which Asf1 and SWI/SNF independently control transcriptional induction. ..
- Bonazzi V, Medjkane S, Quignon F, Delattre O. Complementation analyses suggest species-specific functions of the SNF5 homology domain. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;336:634-8 pubmed..In contrast, it has two homologs in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae, SNF5 and SFH1 which encode core components of the ySWI/SNF and RSC complexes, respectively...
- Zhang L, Jones K, Smerdon M, Gong F. Assays for chromatin remodeling during nucleotide excision repair in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Methods. 2009;48:19-22 pubmed publisher..We have used the methods described here to demonstrate that the SWI/SNF chromatin remodeling complex is involved in chromatin rearrangement during NER. ..
- Yoon S, Govind C, Qiu H, Kim S, Dong J, Hinnebusch A. Recruitment of the ArgR/Mcm1p repressor is stimulated by the activator Gcn4p: a self-checking activation mechanism. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:11713-8 pubmed..By recruiting an arginine-regulated repressor, Gcn4p can precisely modulate its activation function at ARG1 according to the availability of arginine. ..
- Laurent B, Treitel M, Carlson M. The SNF5 protein of Saccharomyces cerevisiae is a glutamine- and proline-rich transcriptional activator that affects expression of a broad spectrum of genes. Mol Cell Biol. 1990;10:5616-25 pubmedThe Saccharomyces cerevisiae SNF5 gene affects expression of both glucose- and phosphate-regulated genes and appears to function in transcription...
- Peterson C, Herskowitz I. Characterization of the yeast SWI1, SWI2, and SWI3 genes, which encode a global activator of transcription. Cell. 1992;68:573-83 pubmed..SWI1 is identical to ADR6, which encodes a positive regulator of ADH1 and ADH2. Transcription of HO also requires SNF5 and SNF6...
- Schulze J, Kane C, Ruiz Manzano A. The YEATS domain of Taf14 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae has a negative impact on cell growth. Mol Genet Genomics. 2010;283:365-80 pubmed publisher..Thus, this highly conserved domain should be considered part of a negative regulatory loop in cell growth. ..
- Dechassa M, Hota S, Sen P, Chatterjee N, Prasad P, Bartholomew B. Disparity in the DNA translocase domains of SWI/SNF and ISW2. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:4412-21 pubmed publisher..These differences are likely mediated through interactions with the histone surface. The placement of SWI/SNF between the octamer and DNA could make it easier to disrupt histone-DNA interactions. ..
- Smith C, Peterson C. Coupling tandem affinity purification and quantitative tyrosine iodination to determine subunit stoichiometry of protein complexes. Methods. 2003;31:104-9 pubmed
- Sterner D, Grant P, Roberts S, Duggan L, Belotserkovskaya R, Pacella L, et al. Functional organization of the yeast SAGA complex: distinct components involved in structural integrity, nucleosome acetylation, and TATA-binding protein interaction. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:86-98 pubmed..Loss of either of these causes slight impairment in vivo, but loss of both is highly detrimental to growth and transcription. ..
- Gao L, Bretscher A. Analysis of unregulated formin activity reveals how yeast can balance F-actin assembly between different microfilament-based organizations. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:1474-84 pubmed publisher..Thus, cells must have a way of ensuring a proper balance between actin assembly pathways. ..
- Barrales R, Jimenez J, Ibeas J. Identification of novel activation mechanisms for FLO11 regulation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2008;178:145-56 pubmed publisher..In addition to previously characterized activators, we identified a number of novel FLO11 activators, which reveal the pH response pathway and chromatin-remodeling complexes as central elements involved in FLO11 activation. ..
- Zhang L, Fletcher A, Cheung V, Winston F, Stargell L. Spn1 regulates the recruitment of Spt6 and the Swi/Snf complex during transcriptional activation by RNA polymerase II. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:1393-403 pubmed..These findings link Spn1 functions to the transition from an inactive to an actively transcribing RNAPII complex at a postrecruitment-regulated promoter. ..
- Recht J, Osley M. Mutations in both the structured domain and N-terminus of histone H2B bypass the requirement for Swi-Snf in yeast. EMBO J. 1999;18:229-40 pubmed..The phenotypes of double gcn5Deltasnf5Delta mutants suggest that histone acetylation may play both positive and negative roles in the activity of the Swi-Snf-remodeling factor. ..
- Sen P, Ghosh S, Pugh B, Bartholomew B. A new, highly conserved domain in Swi2/Snf2 is required for SWI/SNF remodeling. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:9155-66 pubmed publisher..The SnAC domain positively regulates the catalytic activity of the ATPase domain of SWI/SNF to hydrolyze ATP without significantly affecting its affinity for ATP. ..
- Barrales R, Korber P, Jimenez J, Ibeas J. Chromatin modulation at the FLO11 promoter of Saccharomyces cerevisiae by HDAC and Swi/Snf complexes. Genetics. 2012;191:791-803 pubmed publisher..We show that the regulation of chromatin structure represents an important layer of control in the highly complex regulation of the FLO11 promoter. ..
- Kapoor P, Bao Y, Xiao J, Luo J, Shen J, Persinger J, et al. Regulation of Mec1 kinase activity by the SWI/SNF chromatin remodeling complex. Genes Dev. 2015;29:591-602 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings identify a novel regulator of Mec1 kinase activity and suggest that ATP-dependent chromatin remodeling complexes can regulate nonchromatin substrates such as a checkpoint kinase. ..
- Duina A, Winston F. Analysis of a mutant histone H3 that perturbs the association of Swi/Snf with chromatin. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:561-72 pubmed..Taken together, our results strongly suggest that the integrity of the globular domain of histone H3 is an important determinant in the ability of Swi/Snf to associate with chromatin. ..
- Roberts S, Winston F. Essential functional interactions of SAGA, a Saccharomyces cerevisiae complex of Spt, Ada, and Gcn5 proteins, with the Snf/Swi and Srb/mediator complexes. Genetics. 1997;147:451-65 pubmed..These findings suggest that SAGA has multiple activities and plays critical roles in transcription by RNA polymerase II. ..
- Neigeborn L, Carlson M. Genes affecting the regulation of SUC2 gene expression by glucose repression in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 1984;108:845-58 pubmed..snf1 (sucrose nonfermenting) alleles and also defined five new complementation groups, designated snf2, snf3, snf4, snf5, and snf6...
- Neigeborn L, Rubin K, Carlson M. Suppressors of SNF2 mutations restore invertase derepression and cause temperature-sensitive lethality in yeast. Genetics. 1986;112:741-53 pubmed..The ssn20 mutations also suppressed the defects in invertase derepression caused by snf5 and snf6 mutations, and selection for invertase-producing revertants of snf5 mutants yielded only additional ssn20 ..
- Hirschhorn J, Brown S, Clark C, Winston F. Evidence that SNF2/SWI2 and SNF5 activate transcription in yeast by altering chromatin structure. Genes Dev. 1992;6:2288-98 pubmed..Recent evidence suggests that a functionally related set of yeast transcriptional activators (SNF2/SWI2, SNF5, SNF6, SWI1, and SWI3), required for transcription of a diverse set of genes, may affect chromatin structure...