Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SMC4
Description: condensin subunit SMC4
Alias: condensin subunit SMC4
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Butylin P, Strunnikov A. [Functional characteristics of the individual genomic condensin binding sites of Saccharomyces cerevisiae using minichromosome mitotic segregation stability model]. Tsitologiia. 2008;50:788-93 pubmed..This approach allowed us to find out what was the individual contribution of condensin binding sites in securing mitotic stability of the minichromosomes. ..
- Takahashi Y, Dulev S, Liu X, Hiller N, Zhao X, Strunnikov A. Cooperation of sumoylated chromosomal proteins in rDNA maintenance. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e1000215 pubmed publisher..In addition, binding of cohesin and condensin to rDNA is altered in the mms21-CH E3-deficient mutant. ..
- Pratt Hyatt M, Pai D, Haeusler R, Wozniak G, Good P, Miller E, et al. Mod5 protein binds to tRNA gene complexes and affects local transcriptional silencing. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:E3081-9 pubmed publisher..These results are discussed in light of recent results showing that silencing near tRNA genes also requires chromatin modification...
- D Ambrosio C, Schmidt C, Katou Y, Kelly G, Itoh T, Shirahige K, et al. Identification of cis-acting sites for condensin loading onto budding yeast chromosomes. Genes Dev. 2008;22:2215-27 pubmed publisher..This reveals that TFIIIC-binding sites, including tRNA genes, constitute a hitherto unknown chromosomal feature with important implications for chromosome architecture during both interphase and mitosis...
- Legagneux V, Cubizolles F, Watrin E. Multiple roles of Condensins: a complex story. Biol Cell. 2004;96:201-13 pubmed..However, the exact contribution of each subunit remains largely elusive as well as the functional interplay between Condensin I and Condensin II. ..
- Wysocka M, Rytka J, Kurlandzka A. Saccharomyces cerevisiae CSM1 gene encoding a protein influencing chromosome segregation in meiosis I interacts with elements of the DNA replication complex. Exp Cell Res. 2004;294:592-602 pubmed..We propose that, besides its other functions, Csm1p may be involved in premeiotic DNA replication. ..
- Li Z, Vizeacoumar F, Bahr S, Li J, Warringer J, Vizeacoumar F, et al. Systematic exploration of essential yeast gene function with temperature-sensitive mutants. Nat Biotechnol. 2011;29:361-7 pubmed publisher..This mutant collection should facilitate a wide range of systematic studies aimed at understanding the functions of essential genes. ..
- Haeusler R, Pratt Hyatt M, Good P, Gipson T, Engelke D. Clustering of yeast tRNA genes is mediated by specific association of condensin with tRNA gene transcription complexes. Genes Dev. 2008;22:2204-14 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest a widespread role for condensin in gene organization and packaging of the interphase yeast nucleus. ..
- Robellet X, Thattikota Y, Wang F, Wee T, Pascariu M, Shankar S, et al. A high-sensitivity phospho-switch triggered by Cdk1 governs chromosome morphogenesis during cell division. Genes Dev. 2015;29:426-39 pubmed publisher..This sensitivity is imparted by multisite phosphorylation of a conserved chromatin-binding sensor, the Smc4 protein...
- Stray J, Lindsley J. Biochemical analysis of the yeast condensin Smc2/4 complex: an ATPase that promotes knotting of circular DNA. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:26238-48 pubmed..Based on these models, we propose a DNA displacement mechanism to explain how differences in geometry could affect the competitive potential of DNA. ..
- Eeftens J, Katan A, Kschonsak M, Hassler M, de Wilde L, Dief E, et al. Condensin Smc2-Smc4 Dimers Are Flexible and Dynamic. Cell Rep. 2016;14:1813-8 pubmed publisher..Here, we probe the topology of Smc2-Smc4 dimers of the S. cerevisiae condensin complex with high-speed atomic force microscopy (AFM) in liquid...