Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SMC2
Description: condensin subunit SMC2
Alias: condensin subunit SMC2
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Machin F, Torres Rosell J, Jarmuz A, Aragon L. Spindle-independent condensation-mediated segregation of yeast ribosomal DNA in late anaphase. J Cell Biol. 2005;168:209-19 pubmed..These results demonstrate that chromosome resolution is not simply a consequence of compacting chromosome arms and that overall rDNA compaction is necessary to mediate the segregation of the long arm of chromosome XII. ..
- Legagneux V, Cubizolles F, Watrin E. Multiple roles of Condensins: a complex story. Biol Cell. 2004;96:201-13 pubmed..However, the exact contribution of each subunit remains largely elusive as well as the functional interplay between Condensin I and Condensin II. ..
- Stray J, Lindsley J. Biochemical analysis of the yeast condensin Smc2/4 complex: an ATPase that promotes knotting of circular DNA. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:26238-48 pubmed..Smc2p and Smc4p form a stable heterodimer, the "Smc2/4 complex," which upon analysis by sedimentation equilibrium appears to reversibly self-associate to form ..
- Stray J, Crisona N, Belotserkovskii B, Lindsley J, Cozzarelli N. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae Smc2/4 condensin compacts DNA into (+) chiral structures without net supercoiling. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:34723-34 pubmedb>Smc2/4 forms the core of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae condensin, which promotes metaphase chromosome compaction...
- Strunnikov A, Aravind L, Koonin E. Saccharomyces cerevisiae SMT4 encodes an evolutionarily conserved protease with a role in chromosome condensation regulation. Genetics. 2001;158:95-107 pubmed..SMT4 overexpression suppresses the temperature-sensitive conditional lethal phenotype of smc2-6, but not smc2-8 or smc4-1...
- Zheng L, Chen Y, Lee W. Hec1p, an evolutionarily conserved coiled-coil protein, modulates chromosome segregation through interaction with SMC proteins. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:5417-28 pubmed..Overexpression of either hsHEC1 or scHEC1 suppressed the lethal phenotype of smc1-2 and smc2-6 at nonpermissive temperatures, suggesting that the interactions between Hec1p and Smc1p and -2p are biologically ..
- Laflamme G, Tremblay Boudreault T, Roy M, Andersen P, Bonneil E, Atchia K, et al. Structural maintenance of chromosome (SMC) proteins link microtubule stability to genome integrity. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:27418-31 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these findings demonstrate that SMC proteins can bind to and stabilize microtubules and that SMC-microtubule interactions are essential to establish a robust system to maintain genome integrity. ..
- Eeftens J, Katan A, Kschonsak M, Hassler M, de Wilde L, Dief E, et al. Condensin Smc2-Smc4 Dimers Are Flexible and Dynamic. Cell Rep. 2016;14:1813-8 pubmed publisher..Here, we probe the topology of Smc2-Smc4 dimers of the S. cerevisiae condensin complex with high-speed atomic force microscopy (AFM) in liquid...
- Li P, Jin H, Yu H. Condensin suppresses recombination and regulates double-strand break processing at the repetitive ribosomal DNA array to ensure proper chromosome segregation during meiosis in budding yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2014;25:2934-47 pubmed publisher..Our work reveals that condensin coordinates meiotic recombination with chromosome segregation at the repetitive rDNA sequence, thereby maintaining genome integrity. ..
- Butylin P, Strunnikov A. [Functional characteristics of the individual genomic condensin binding sites of Saccharomyces cerevisiae using minichromosome mitotic segregation stability model]. Tsitologiia. 2008;50:788-93 pubmed..This approach allowed us to find out what was the individual contribution of condensin binding sites in securing mitotic stability of the minichromosomes. ..
- Takahashi Y, Dulev S, Liu X, Hiller N, Zhao X, Strunnikov A. Cooperation of sumoylated chromosomal proteins in rDNA maintenance. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e1000215 pubmed publisher..In addition, binding of cohesin and condensin to rDNA is altered in the mms21-CH E3-deficient mutant. ..
- Haeusler R, Pratt Hyatt M, Good P, Gipson T, Engelke D. Clustering of yeast tRNA genes is mediated by specific association of condensin with tRNA gene transcription complexes. Genes Dev. 2008;22:2204-14 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest a widespread role for condensin in gene organization and packaging of the interphase yeast nucleus. ..
- Akhmedov A, Frei C, Tsai Pflugfelder M, Kemper B, Gasser S, Jessberger R. Structural maintenance of chromosomes protein C-terminal domains bind preferentially to DNA with secondary structure. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:24088-94 pubmed..We demonstrate the ability of the C-terminal domains of Saccharomyces cerevisiae SMC1 and SMC2 proteins, representing two major subfamilies with different functions, to bind DNA in an ATP-independent manner...
- Pratt Hyatt M, Pai D, Haeusler R, Wozniak G, Good P, Miller E, et al. Mod5 protein binds to tRNA gene complexes and affects local transcriptional silencing. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:E3081-9 pubmed publisher..These results are discussed in light of recent results showing that silencing near tRNA genes also requires chromatin modification...
- Murillo Pineda M, Cabello Lobato M, Clemente Ruiz M, Monje Casas F, Prado F. Defective histone supply causes condensin-dependent chromatin alterations, SAC activation and chromosome decatenation impairment. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:12469-82 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, SAC activation is suppressed by the absence of Top2 and Smc2, an essential component of condensin...
- Castaño I, Brzoska P, Sadoff B, Chen H, Christman M. Mitotic chromosome condensation in the rDNA requires TRF4 and DNA topoisomerase I in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genes Dev. 1996;10:2564-76 pubmed..These data indicate that TOP1 (encoding topo I) and TRF4 participate in overlapping or dependent steps in mitotic chromosome condensation and serve to define a previously unrecognized biological function of topo I. ..
- Peplowska K, Wallek A, Storchova Z. Sgo1 regulates both condensin and Ipl1/Aurora B to promote chromosome biorientation. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004411 pubmed publisher..Our findings identify shugoshin as a versatile molecular adaptor that governs chromosome biorientation...