Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SMC1
Description: cohesin subunit SMC1
Alias: CHL10, cohesin subunit SMC1
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Arumugam P, Gruber S, Tanaka K, Haering C, Mechtler K, Nasmyth K. ATP hydrolysis is required for cohesin's association with chromosomes. Curr Biol. 2003;13:1941-53 pubmed..Cohesin contains four core subunits: Smc1, Smc3, Scc1, and Scc3...
- Haering C, L we J, Hochwagen A, Nasmyth K. Molecular architecture of SMC proteins and the yeast cohesin complex. Mol Cell. 2002;9:773-88 pubmedSister chromatids are held together by the multisubunit cohesin complex, which contains two SMC (Smc1 and Smc3) and two non-SMC (Scc1 and Scc3) proteins...
- Mishra A, Hu B, Kurze A, Beckouët F, Farcas A, Dixon S, et al. Both interaction surfaces within cohesin's hinge domain are essential for its stable chromosomal association. Curr Biol. 2010;20:279-89 pubmed publisherThe cohesin complex that mediates sister chromatid cohesion contains three core subunits: Smc1, Smc3, and Scc1...
- Mayer M, Gygi S, Aebersold R, Hieter P. Identification of RFC(Ctf18p, Ctf8p, Dcc1p): an alternative RFC complex required for sister chromatid cohesion in S. cerevisiae. Mol Cell. 2001;7:959-70 pubmed
- Lai M, Seki M, Ui A, Enomoto T. Rmi1, a member of the Sgs1-Top3 complex in budding yeast, contributes to sister chromatid cohesion. EMBO Rep. 2007;8:685-90 pubmed..Loss of RAD51 also suppresses the cohesion defect of rmi1 mutant cells. These results indicate the existence of a new pathway involving Rad51 and Sgs1-Top3-Rmi1, which leads to the establishment of sister chromatid cohesion. ..
- McLellan J, O Neil N, Tarailo S, Stoepel J, Bryan J, Rose A, et al. Synthetic lethal genetic interactions that decrease somatic cell proliferation in Caenorhabditis elegans identify the alternative RFC CTF18 as a candidate cancer drug target. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:5306-13 pubmed publisher..elegans. Furthermore, the C. elegans assay system will contribute to our knowledge of genetic interactions in a multicellular animal and is a powerful approach to identify new cancer therapeutic targets. ..
- Schär P, Fäsi M, Jessberger R. SMC1 coordinates DNA double-strand break repair pathways. Nucleic Acids Res. 2004;32:3921-9 pubmedThe SMC1/SMC3 heterodimer acts in sister chromatid cohesion, and recent data indicate a function in DNA double-strand break repair (DSBR)...
- Katis V, Lipp J, Imre R, Bogdanova A, Okaz E, Habermann B, et al. Rec8 phosphorylation by casein kinase 1 and Cdc7-Dbf4 kinase regulates cohesin cleavage by separase during meiosis. Dev Cell. 2010;18:397-409 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that PP2A protects centromeric cohesion by opposing CK1delta/epsilon- and DDK-dependent phosphorylation of Rec8. ..
- Kurze A, Michie K, Dixon S, Mishra A, Itoh T, Khalid S, et al. A positively charged channel within the Smc1/Smc3 hinge required for sister chromatid cohesion. EMBO J. 2011;30:364-78 pubmed publisherCohesin's structural maintenance of chromosome 1 (Smc1) and Smc3 are rod-shaped proteins with 50-nm long intra-molecular coiled-coil arms with a heterodimerization domain at one end and an ABC-like nucleotide-binding domain (NBD) at the ..
- Huang J, Hsu J, Laurent B. The RSC nucleosome-remodeling complex is required for Cohesin's association with chromosome arms. Mol Cell. 2004;13:739-50 pubmed..Our data suggest a role for RSC in facilitating the loading of cohesin specifically onto chromosome arms, thereby ensuring sister chromatid cohesion and proper chromosome segregation. ..
- Edwards S, Li C, Levy D, Brown J, Snow P, Campbell J. Saccharomyces cerevisiae DNA polymerase epsilon and polymerase sigma interact physically and functionally, suggesting a role for polymerase epsilon in sister chromatid cohesion. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:2733-48 pubmed..We present evidence that pol2 mutants are defective in sister chromatid cohesion. In addition, Pol2 interacts with SMC1, a subunit of the cohesin complex, and with ECO1/CTF7, required for establishing sister chromatid cohesion; and ..
- Ã‡amdere G, Guacci V, Stricklin J, Koshland D. The ATPases of cohesin interface with regulators to modulate cohesin-mediated DNA tethering. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Cohesin contains a heterodimeric ATP-binding Cassette (ABC) ATPase comprised of Smc1 and Smc3 ATPase active sites. These ATPases are required for cohesin to bind DNA...
- Zheng L, Chen Y, Lee W. Hec1p, an evolutionarily conserved coiled-coil protein, modulates chromosome segregation through interaction with SMC proteins. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:5417-28 pubmed..protein, hshec1-113p, to five identified hsHec1p-associated proteins was unchanged, while its binding to human SMC1 protein and yeast Smc1p was ts...
- de Jager M, Trujillo K, Sung P, Hopfner K, Carney J, Tainer J, et al. Differential arrangements of conserved building blocks among homologs of the Rad50/Mre11 DNA repair protein complex. J Mol Biol. 2004;339:937-49 pubmed..cerevisiae SMC1/SMC3 cohesin SMC complexes...
- Kagansky A, Freeman L, Lukyanov D, Strunnikov A. Histone tail-independent chromatin binding activity of recombinant cohesin holocomplex. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:3382-8 pubmed..Histone tails and ATP are dispensable for cohesin binding to chromatin in this reaction. A model for cohesin association with chromatin is proposed. ..
- Takahashi Y, Dulev S, Liu X, Hiller N, Zhao X, Strunnikov A. Cooperation of sumoylated chromosomal proteins in rDNA maintenance. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e1000215 pubmed publisher..In addition, binding of cohesin and condensin to rDNA is altered in the mms21-CH E3-deficient mutant. ..
- Parnas O, Zipin Roitman A, Mazor Y, Liefshitz B, Ben Aroya S, Kupiec M. The ELG1 clamp loader plays a role in sister chromatid cohesion. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e5497 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that Elg1, Ctf4, and Ctf18 may coordinate the relative movement of the replication fork with respect to the cohesin ring. ..
- Huber R, Kulemzina I, Ang K, Chavda A, Suranthran S, Teh J, et al. Impairing Cohesin Smc1/3 Head Engagement Compensates for the Lack of Eco1 Function. Structure. 2016;24:1991-1999 pubmed publisherThe cohesin ring, which is composed of the Smc1, Smc3, and Scc1 subunits, topologically embraces two sister chromatids from S phase until anaphase to ensure their precise segregation to the daughter cells...
- Maradeo M, Skibbens R. Epitope tag-induced synthetic lethality between cohesin subunits and Ctf7/Eco1 acetyltransferase. FEBS Lett. 2010;584:4037-40 pubmed publisher..Tagging either Smc1 or Mcd1/Scc1, but not Scc3/Irr1, appears to abolish access to Smc3 in ctf7/eco1 mutant cells, suggesting that Smc1 ..
- Sjogren C, Nasmyth K. Sister chromatid cohesion is required for postreplicative double-strand break repair in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Curr Biol. 2001;11:991-5 pubmed..Our results confirm what has long been suspected but never proven, that cohesion between sister chromatids is essential for efficient double-strand break repair in mitotic cells. ..
- Saitoh N, Goldberg I, Wood E, Earnshaw W. ScII: an abundant chromosome scaffold protein is a member of a family of putative ATPases with an unusual predicted tertiary structure. J Cell Biol. 1994;127:303-18 pubmed..ScII and the other members of the emerging family of SMC1-like proteins are likely to be novel ATPases, with NTP-binding A and B sites separated by two lengthy regions ..
- Farcas A, Uluocak P, Helmhart W, Nasmyth K. Cohesin's concatenation of sister DNAs maintains their intertwining. Mol Cell. 2011;44:97-107 pubmed publisher..We conclude that by retarding Topo II-driven decatenation, cohesin mediates sister chromatid cohesion by an indirect mechanism as well as one involving entrapment of sister DNAs inside its tripartite ring. ..
- Elbatsh A, Haarhuis J, Petela N, Chapard C, Fish A, Celie P, et al. Cohesin Releases DNA through Asymmetric ATPase-Driven Ring Opening. Mol Cell. 2016;61:575-588 pubmed publisher..We propose that Smc3 acetylation locks cohesin rings around the sister chromatids by counteracting an activity associated with one of cohesin's two ATPase sites. ..
- Litwin I, Bakowski T, Maciaszczyk Dziubinska E, Wysocki R. The LSH/HELLS homolog Irc5 contributes to cohesin association with chromatin in yeast. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:6404-6416 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that Irc5 is an auxiliary factor that is involved in cohesin association with chromatin. ..
- Lin W, Wang M, Jin H, Yu H. Cohesin plays a dual role in gene regulation and sister-chromatid cohesion during meiosis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2011;187:1041-51 pubmed publisher..Here we report that the cohesin subunits Scc3 and Smc1 are both required for the production of the meiosis-specific subunit Rec8 in the budding yeast Saccharomyces ..
- Akhmedov A, Frei C, Tsai Pflugfelder M, Kemper B, Gasser S, Jessberger R. Structural maintenance of chromosomes protein C-terminal domains bind preferentially to DNA with secondary structure. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:24088-94 pubmed..We demonstrate the ability of the C-terminal domains of Saccharomyces cerevisiae SMC1 and SMC2 proteins, representing two major subfamilies with different functions, to bind DNA in an ATP-independent ..
- Li Z, Vizeacoumar F, Bahr S, Li J, Warringer J, Vizeacoumar F, et al. Systematic exploration of essential yeast gene function with temperature-sensitive mutants. Nat Biotechnol. 2011;29:361-7 pubmed publisher..This mutant collection should facilitate a wide range of systematic studies aimed at understanding the functions of essential genes. ..
- Fernius J, Nerusheva O, Galander S, Alves F, Rappsilber J, Marston A. Cohesin-dependent association of scc2/4 with the centromere initiates pericentromeric cohesion establishment. Curr Biol. 2013;23:599-606 pubmed publisher..Overall, our findings provide a paradigm for the spatial and temporal control of cohesin loading. ..
- Tapia Alveal C, Lin S, O Connell M. Functional interplay between cohesin and Smc5/6 complexes. Chromosoma. 2014;123:437-45 pubmed publisher..However, they also release their embrace of sister chromatids to enable their segregation at anaphase, resetting the dynamic cycle of SMC-chromosome interactions. ..
- Measday V, Hailey D, Pot I, Givan S, Hyland K, Cagney G, et al. Ctf3p, the Mis6 budding yeast homolog, interacts with Mcm22p and Mcm16p at the yeast outer kinetochore. Genes Dev. 2002;16:101-13 pubmed..In contrast, Ctf3p and Ctf19p fail to bind properly to the centromere in a cse4-1 mutant strain. We conclude that the requirements for CENP-A loading onto centromere DNA differ in fission versus budding yeast. ..
- Orgil O, Mor H, Matityahu A, Onn I. Identification of a region in the coiled-coil domain of Smc3 that is essential for cohesin activity. Nucleic Acids Res. 2016;44:6309-17 pubmed publisher..Cohesin's core is composed of two structural maintenance of chromosome (SMC) proteins, called Smc1 and Smc3...
- Castaño I, Brzoska P, Sadoff B, Chen H, Christman M. Mitotic chromosome condensation in the rDNA requires TRF4 and DNA topoisomerase I in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genes Dev. 1996;10:2564-76 pubmed..These data indicate that TOP1 (encoding topo I) and TRF4 participate in overlapping or dependent steps in mitotic chromosome condensation and serve to define a previously unrecognized biological function of topo I. ..
- Mc Intyre J, Muller E, Weitzer S, Snydsman B, Davis T, Uhlmann F. In vivo analysis of cohesin architecture using FRET in the budding yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. EMBO J. 2007;26:3783-93 pubmed..The circumference consists of the Smc1 and Smc3 subunits, while Scc1 is thought to close the ring by bridging the Smc (structural maintenance of ..
- Kulemzina I, Ang K, Zhao X, Teh J, Verma V, Suranthran S, et al. A Reversible Association between Smc Coiled Coils Is Regulated by Lysine Acetylation and Is Required for Cohesin Association with the DNA. Mol Cell. 2016;63:1044-54 pubmed publisher..Most of the ring circumference is comprised of the anti-parallel intramolecular coiled coils of the Smc1 and Smc3 proteins, which connect globular head and hinge domains...
- Strunnikov A, Larionov V, Koshland D. SMC1: an essential yeast gene encoding a putative head-rod-tail protein is required for nuclear division and defines a new ubiquitous protein family. J Cell Biol. 1993;123:1635-48 pubmedThe smc1-1 mutant was identified initially as a mutant of Saccharomyces cerevisiae that had an elevated rate of minichromosome nondisjunction. We have cloned the wild-type SMC1 gene...