Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SLX8
Description: SUMO-targeted ubiquitin ligase complex subunit SLX8
Alias: SUMO-targeted ubiquitin ligase complex subunit SLX8
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Mullen J, Kaliraman V, Ibrahim S, Brill S. Requirement for three novel protein complexes in the absence of the Sgs1 DNA helicase in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2001;157:103-18 pubmed..Mutations in SLX5 and SLX8 generate hydroxyurea sensitivity, reduced sporulation efficiency, and a slow-growth phenotype characterized by ..
- Burgess R, Rahman S, Lisby M, Rothstein R, Zhao X. The Slx5-Slx8 complex affects sumoylation of DNA repair proteins and negatively regulates recombination. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:6153-62 pubmed..Here, we report that the absence of the Slx5-Slx8 complex, a newly identified player in the SUMO (small ubiquitin-like modifier) pathway, led to increased Rad51-..
- Mullen J, Das M, Brill S. Genetic evidence that polysumoylation bypasses the need for a SUMO-targeted Ub ligase. Genetics. 2011;187:73-87 pubmed publisherSaccharomyces cerevisiae cells lacking the Slx5-Slx8 SUMO-targeted Ub ligase display increased levels of sumoylated and polysumoylated proteins, and they are inviable in the absence of the Sgs1 DNA helicase...
- Wang Z, Prelich G. Quality control of a transcriptional regulator by SUMO-targeted degradation. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:1694-706 pubmed publisherSlx5 and Slx8 are heterodimeric RING domain-containing proteins that possess SUMO-targeted ubiquitin ligase (STUbL) activity in vitro...
- Ii T, Fung J, Mullen J, Brill S. The yeast Slx5-Slx8 DNA integrity complex displays ubiquitin ligase activity. Cell Cycle. 2007;6:2800-9 pubmedGenetic studies in budding yeast have previously implicated SLX5 and SLX8 in the control of genome stability and sumoylation. These genes encode RING-finger domain proteins that form a complex of unknown function...
- Mullen J, Brill S. Activation of the Slx5-Slx8 ubiquitin ligase by poly-small ubiquitin-like modifier conjugates. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:19912-21 pubmed publisher..of sumoylated proteins is targeted for ubiquitination by a conserved heterodimeric ubiquitin (Ub) ligase, Slx5-Slx8, which is needed to suppress the accumulation of high molecular weight small ubiquitin-like modifier (SUMO) ..
- D Ambrosio L, Lavoie B. Pds5 prevents the PolySUMO-dependent separation of sister chromatids. Curr Biol. 2014;24:361-71 pubmed publisher..We further demonstrate that inactivation of the Slx5-Slx8 SUMO-targeted ubiquitin ligase, required for targeting polySUMOylated factors for proteasome-mediated destruction, ..
- Yang L, Mullen J, Brill S. Purification of the yeast Slx5-Slx8 protein complex and characterization of its DNA-binding activity. Nucleic Acids Res. 2006;34:5541-51 pubmedSLX5 and SLX8 encode RING-finger proteins that were previously identified based on their requirement for viability in yeast cells lacking Sgs1 DNA helicase...
- Westerbeck J, Pasupala N, Guillotte M, Szymanski E, Matson B, Esteban C, et al. A SUMO-targeted ubiquitin ligase is involved in the degradation of the nuclear pool of the SUMO E3 ligase Siz1. Mol Biol Cell. 2014;25:1-16 pubmed publisherThe Slx5/Slx8 heterodimer constitutes a SUMO-targeted ubiquitin ligase (STUbL) with an important role in SUMO-targeted degradation and SUMO-dependent signaling...
- Tan W, Wang Z, Prelich G. Physical and Genetic Interactions Between Uls1 and the Slx5-Slx8 SUMO-Targeted Ubiquitin Ligase. G3 (Bethesda). 2013;3:771-780 pubmed publisherThe Slx5-Slx8 complex is a ubiquitin ligase that preferentially ubiquitylates SUMOylated substrates, targeting them for proteolysis...
- Schweiggert J, Stevermann L, Panigada D, Kammerer D, Liakopoulos D. Regulation of a Spindle Positioning Factor at Kinetochores by SUMO-Targeted Ubiquitin Ligases. Dev Cell. 2016;36:415-27 pubmed publisher..where it becomes targeted for proteasomal degradation by the SUMO-targeted ubiquitin ligases (STUbLs) Slx5-Slx8. Intriguingly, this process does not depend on preceding sumoylation of Kar9 but rather requires SUMO-dependent ..
- Parnas O, Amishay R, Liefshitz B, Zipin Roitman A, Kupiec M. Elg1, the major subunit of an alternative RFC complex, interacts with SUMO-processing proteins. Cell Cycle. 2011;10:2894-903 pubmed..with SUMOylated PCNA) uncovered interactions with proteins that belong to the SUMO pathway, including Slx5 and Slx8, which form an E3 ubiquitin ligase that ubiquitinates SUMOylated proteins...
- Psakhye I, Jentsch S. Protein group modification and synergy in the SUMO pathway as exemplified in DNA repair. Cell. 2012;151:807-820 pubmed publisher..We propose that SUMOylation may thus often target a protein group rather than individual proteins, whereas localized modification enzymes and highly specific triggers ensure specificity. ..
- Su X, Dion V, Gasser S, Freudenreich C. Regulation of recombination at yeast nuclear pores controls repair and triplet repeat stability. Genes Dev. 2015;29:1006-17 pubmed publisher..Repeat instability in nup84, slx5, or slx8 mutant cells arises through aberrant homologous recombination and is distinct from instability arising from the ..
- van de Pasch L, Miles A, Nijenhuis W, Brabers N, van Leenen D, Lijnzaad P, et al. Centromere binding and a conserved role in chromosome stability for SUMO-dependent ubiquitin ligases. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e65628 pubmed publisher..Detailed phenotype analyses of slx5? and slx8? mutants show severe mitotic defects that include aneuploidy, spindle mispositioning, fish hooks and aberrant ..
- Palancade B, Liu X, Garcia Rubio M, Aguilera A, Zhao X, Doye V. Nucleoporins prevent DNA damage accumulation by modulating Ulp1-dependent sumoylation processes. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:2912-23 pubmed..Our results thus provide a molecular mechanism that underlies the connection between NPC and genome stability. ..
- Xiong L, Chen X, Silver H, Ahmed N, Johnson E. Deficient SUMO attachment to Flp recombinase leads to homologous recombination-dependent hyperamplification of the yeast 2 microm circle plasmid. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:1241-51 pubmed publisher..This work also illustrates the importance of using cir(o) strains when studying mutants that affect the yeast SUMO pathway, to avoid confusing direct functions of the SUMO pathway with secondary effects of 2 microm amplification. ..
- Hickey C, Hochstrasser M. STUbL-mediated degradation of the transcription factor MATÎ±2 requires degradation elements that coincide with corepressor binding sites. Mol Biol Cell. 2015;26:3401-12 pubmed publisher..and Ubc7 and the ubiquitin ligase (E3) Doa10 and the other operating with the E2 Ubc4 and the heterodimeric E3 Slx5/Slx8. Although Slx5/Slx8 is a small ubiquitin-like modifier (SUMO)-targeted ubiquitin ligase (STUbL), it does not ..
- Mullen J, Chen C, Brill S. Wss1 is a SUMO-dependent isopeptidase that interacts genetically with the Slx5-Slx8 SUMO-targeted ubiquitin ligase. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:3737-48 pubmed publisher..In Saccharomyces cerevisiae, the Slx5-Slx8 SUMO-targeted Ub ligase appears to be needed to ubiquitinate sumoylated proteins that arise in the absence of the ..
- Azam M, Lee J, Abraham V, Chanoux R, Schoenly K, Johnson F. Evidence that the S.cerevisiae Sgs1 protein facilitates recombinational repair of telomeres during senescence. Nucleic Acids Res. 2006;34:506-16 pubmed..However, mutations in SLX5 or SLX8, which encode proteins that function together in a complex that is required for viability in sgs1 mutants, do speed ..
- BÃ¶hm S, Mihalevic M, Casal M, Bernstein K. Disruption of SUMO-targeted ubiquitin ligases Slx5-Slx8/RNF4 alters RecQ-like helicase Sgs1/BLM localization in yeast and human cells. DNA Repair (Amst). 2015;26:1-14 pubmed publisher..Importantly, we identify the SUMO-targeted ubiquitin ligase (STUbL) complex Slx5-Slx8 as a negative regulator of Sgs1 foci, both spontaneously and upon replicative damage...
- Putnam C, Hayes T, Kolodner R. Post-replication repair suppresses duplication-mediated genome instability. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1000933 pubmed publisher..Our analysis is consistent with models in which PRR prevents replication damage from becoming double strand breaks (DSBs) and/or regulates the activity of HR on DSBs. ..