Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SLG1
Alias: HCS77, WSC1, Slg1p
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Bermejo C, Garcia R, Straede A, Rodríguez Peña J, Nombela C, Heinisch J, et al. Characterization of sensor-specific stress response by transcriptional profiling of wsc1 and mid2 deletion strains and chimeric sensors in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. OMICS. 2010;14:679-88 pubmed publisher..Cell wall damage is detected mainly by Wsc1 and Mid2, which are the dominant sensors of CWI pathway...
- Ketela T, Green R, Bussey H. Saccharomyces cerevisiae mid2p is a potential cell wall stress sensor and upstream activator of the PKC1-MPK1 cell integrity pathway. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:3330-40 pubmed..can be suppressed by overexpression of upstream elements of the cell integrity pathway, including PKC1, RHO1, WSC1, and WSC2...
- Claret S, Gatti X, Doignon F, Thoraval D, Crouzet M. The Rgd1p Rho GTPase-activating protein and the Mid2p cell wall sensor are required at low pH for protein kinase C pathway activation and cell survival in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eukaryot Cell. 2005;4:1375-86 pubmed..As the Mid2p amount plays a role in rgd1Delta sensitivity to low pH, Mid2p seems to act more like a molecular rheostat, controlling the level of PKC pathway activity and thus allowing phenotypical expression of RGD1 inactivation. ..
- Audhya A, Emr S. Stt4 PI 4-kinase localizes to the plasma membrane and functions in the Pkc1-mediated MAP kinase cascade. Dev Cell. 2002;2:593-605 pubmed..Based on these results, we propose that Stt4-Mss4 generates PI4,5P(2) at the plasma membrane, required to recruit/activate effector proteins such as Rom2. ..
- Lommel M, Bagnat M, Strahl S. Aberrant processing of the WSC family and Mid2p cell surface sensors results in cell death of Saccharomyces cerevisiae O-mannosylation mutants. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:46-57 pubmed..Reduced O mannosylation leads to incorrect proteolytic processing of these proteins, which in turn results in impaired activation of the PKC1 pathway and finally causes cell death in the absence of osmotic stabilization. ..
- Sekiya Kawasaki M, Abe M, Saka A, Watanabe D, Kono K, Minemura Asakawa M, et al. Dissection of upstream regulatory components of the Rho1p effector, 1,3-beta-glucan synthase, in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2002;162:663-76 pubmed..We demonstrate that all of the multicopy suppressors obtained (WSC1, WSC3, MTL1, ROM2, LRE1, ZDS1, and MSB1) and the constitutively active RHO1 mutations tested restore 1,3-beta-..
- Rajavel M, Philip B, Buehrer B, Errede B, Levin D. Mid2 is a putative sensor for cell integrity signaling in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:3969-76 pubmedb>Hcs77 is a putative cell surface sensor for cell integrity signaling in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Its loss of function results in cell lysis during growth at elevated temperatures (e.g...
- Wang S, Xu B, Liou L, Ren Q, Huang S, Luo Y, et al. ?-Synuclein disrupts stress signaling by inhibiting polo-like kinase Cdc5/Plk2. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:16119-24 pubmed publisher..The nine N-terminal amino acids of aSyn are essential for the interaction with polo-like kinases. The results support a unique mechanism of PD pathology. ..
- Delley P, Hall M. Cell wall stress depolarizes cell growth via hyperactivation of RHO1. J Cell Biol. 1999;147:163-74 pubmed..Depolarization of the actin cytoskeleton and FKS1 is mediated by the plasma membrane protein WSC1, the RHO1 GTPase switch, PKC1, and a yet-to-be defined PKC1 effector branch...
- Wang S, Ng D. Evasion of endoplasmic reticulum surveillance makes Wsc1p an obligate substrate of Golgi quality control. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:1153-65 pubmed publisher..By evading ERAD through these passive and active mechanisms, Wsc1p is fully dependent on the post-ER system for its quality control. ..
- Manjithaya R, Jain S, Farre J, Subramani S. A yeast MAPK cascade regulates pexophagy but not other autophagy pathways. J Cell Biol. 2010;189:303-10 pubmed publisher..We propose that pexophagy requires the simultaneous activation of this MAPK pathway and a hexose-sensing mechanism acting through protein kinase A and cyclic adenosine monophosphate. ..
- Wang S, Thibault G, Ng D. Routing misfolded proteins through the multivesicular body (MVB) pathway protects against proteotoxicity. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:29376-87 pubmed publisher..Eliminating the MVB sorting signal diverted molecules to the vacuolar limiting membrane, resulting in the generation of toxic by-products. These data demonstrate a new role of the MVB pathway in protein quality control. ..
- Ueno K, Saito M, Nagashima M, Kojima A, Nishinoaki S, Toshima J, et al. V-ATPase-dependent luminal acidification is required for endocytic recycling of a yeast cell wall stress sensor, Wsc1p. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2014;443:549-55 pubmed publisher..These findings clarified the previously unidentified Wsc1p recycling pathway and requirement of V-ATPase-dependent luminal acidification for Wsc1p recycling. ..
- Euskirchen G. Nnf1p, Dsn1p, Mtw1p, and Nsl1p: a new group of proteins important for chromosome segregation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eukaryot Cell. 2002;1:229-40 pubmed..Based on the colocalization of these four proteins, the minichromosome instability and the spindle defects seen in nnf1 mutants, I propose that Nnf1p is part of a new group of proteins necessary for chromosome segregation. ..
- Valentini S, Casolari J, Oliveira C, Silver P, McBride A. Genetic interactions of yeast eukaryotic translation initiation factor 5A (eIF5A) reveal connections to poly(A)-binding protein and protein kinase C signaling. Genetics. 2002;160:393-405 pubmed..which allows growth of a tif51A-1 strain at high temperature; these genes include PAB1, PKC1, and PKC1 regulators WSC1, WSC2, and WSC3...
- Kaeberlein M, Guarente L. Saccharomyces cerevisiae MPT5 and SSD1 function in parallel pathways to promote cell wall integrity. Genetics. 2002;160:83-95 pubmed..This work also provides evidence that post-transcriptional regulation is likely to be important both for maintaining cell integrity and for promoting longevity. ..
- Lorberg A, Schmitz H, Jacoby J, Heinisch J. Lrg1p functions as a putative GTPase-activating protein in the Pkc1p-mediated cell integrity pathway in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Genet Genomics. 2001;266:514-26 pubmed..1) Deletion of LRG1 suppresses the growth phenotypes associated with mutations in SLG1 (which codes for a putative sensor of cell wall damage)...
- Martin Yken H, Dagkessamanskaia A, de Groot P, Ram A, Klis F, Francois J. Saccharomyces cerevisiae YCRO17c/CWH43 encodes a putative sensor/transporter protein upstream of the BCK2 branch of the PKC1-dependent cell wall integrity pathway. Yeast. 2001;18:827-40 pubmed
- Wilk S, Wittland J, Thywissen A, Schmitz H, Heinisch J. A block of endocytosis of the yeast cell wall integrity sensors Wsc1 and Wsc2 results in reduced fitness in vivo. Mol Genet Genomics. 2010;284:217-29 pubmed publisher..We here address the relation of intracellular localization of the sensors Wsc1, Wsc2, and Mid2 to their turnover and signaling function...
- Sarode N, Davis S, Tams R, Reynolds T. The Wsc1p cell wall signaling protein controls biofilm (Mat) formation independently of Flo11p in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. G3 (Bethesda). 2014;4:199-207 pubmed publisher..We found that a wsc1 mutation disrupted mat formation in a Flo11p-independent manner...
- Imazu H, Sakurai H. Saccharomyces cerevisiae heat shock transcription factor regulates cell wall remodeling in response to heat shock. Eukaryot Cell. 2005;4:1050-6 pubmed..Another class of suppressors encoded cell wall stress sensors, Wsc1, Wsc2, and Mid2, and the GDP/GTP exchange factor Rom2 that interacts with these cell wall sensors...
- Ivanovska I, Rose M. SLG1 plays a role during G1 in the decision to enter or exit the cell cycle. Mol Gen Genet. 2000;262:1147-56 pubmed..This is consistent with a role of SLG1 in G1 regulation. Epitope-tagged Slg1p cofractionated with the plasma membrane, suggesting that Slglp may function by integrating external cues and ..
- Stewart M, Krause S, McGhie J, Gray J. Mpt5p, a stress tolerance- and lifespan-promoting PUF protein in Saccharomyces cerevisiae, acts upstream of the cell wall integrity pathway. Eukaryot Cell. 2007;6:262-70 pubmed..We conclude that Mpt5p is required for normal replicative and chronological life spans and that the CWI pathway is a key and direct downstream target of this PUF protein. ..
- Marcoux N, Cloutier S, Zakrzewska E, Charest P, Bourbonnais Y, Pallotta D. Suppression of the profilin-deficient phenotype by the RHO2 signaling pathway in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2000;156:579-92 pubmed..Since none of the suppressors, except Rho2p, can correct the phenotype of the pfy1-111/rho2Delta strain, we propose a model in which the suppressors act through the Rho2p signaling pathway to repolarize cortical actin patches. ..
- Fernandes H, Roumanie O, Claret S, Gatti X, Thoraval D, Doignon F, et al. The Rho3 and Rho4 small GTPases interact functionally with Wsc1p, a cell surface sensor of the protein kinase C cell-integrity pathway in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Microbiology. 2006;152:695-708 pubmed..Co-inactivation of RGD1 and WSC1, which is a cell wall sensor-encoding gene, is lethal...
- Hosotani T, Koyama H, Uchino M, Miyakawa T, Tsuchiya E. PKC1, a protein kinase C homologue of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, participates in microtubule function through the yeast EB1 homologue, BIM1. Genes Cells. 2001;6:775-88 pubmed..These results suggest that Pkc1p plays a role which is relevant to microtubule functions and that this role is mediated by a hitherto unknown PKC signalling pathway and by Bim1p ..
- deHart A, Schnell J, Allen D, Tsai J, Hicke L. Receptor internalization in yeast requires the Tor2-Rho1 signaling pathway. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:4676-84 pubmed..Other proteins important for cell integrity, Rom2 and the cell integrity sensor Wsc1, are also required for efficient endocytosis...
- Khalfan W, Ivanovska I, Rose M. Functional interaction between the PKC1 pathway and CDC31 network of SPB duplication genes. Genetics. 2000;155:1543-59 pubmed..Initially, SLG1 and PKC1 were obtained as high-copy suppressors of dsk2Delta rad23Delta and a mutation in MPK1 was synthetically ..
- Chai B, Hsu J, Du J, Laurent B. Yeast RSC function is required for organization of the cellular cytoskeleton via an alternative PKC1 pathway. Genetics. 2002;161:575-84 pubmed..b>Slg1p and Mid2p, two type I transmembrane stress sensors of cell wall integrity that function upstream of protein kinase ..
- Li X, Du Y, Siegel S, Ferro Novick S, Novick P. Activation of the mitogen-activated protein kinase, Slt2p, at bud tips blocks a late stage of endoplasmic reticulum inheritance in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:1772-82 pubmed publisher..The PI4P5-kinase, Mss4p, is an upstream activator of this pool of Slt2p. Ptc1p-dependant inactivation of Slt2p is also needed for mitochondrial inheritance; however, in this case, the relevant pool of Slt2p is not at the bud tip. ..
- Gualtieri T, Ragni E, Mizzi L, Fascio U, Popolo L. The cell wall sensor Wsc1p is involved in reorganization of actin cytoskeleton in response to hypo-osmotic shock in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Yeast. 2004;21:1107-20 pubmed..Wsc1p appears to be an important regulator of the actin network rearrangements in conditions of cell wall expansion and membrane stretching. ..
- Andrews P, Stark M. Type 1 protein phosphatase is required for maintenance of cell wall integrity, morphogenesis and cell cycle progression in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 ( Pt 3):507-20 pubmed..dosage suppressor, extra copies of genes encoding upstream components of the Pkc1p pathway such as ROM2, RHO2, HCS77/WSC1/SLG1 and MID2 also suppressed glc7-10 effectively...
- Morales Johansson H, Jenoe P, Cooke F, Hall M. Negative regulation of phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate levels by the INP51-associated proteins TAX4 and IRS4. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:39604-10 pubmed..The interaction between TAX4/IRS4 and INP51 is analogous to the association of EPS15 with the 5-phosphatase synaptojanin 1 in mammalian cells, suggesting that EPS15 is an activator of synaptojanin 1. ..
- Köck C, Arlt H, Ungermann C, Heinisch J. Yeast cell wall integrity sensors form specific plasma membrane microdomains important for signalling. Cell Microbiol. 2016;18:1251-67 pubmed publisher..CWI) pathway of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae relies on the detection of cell surface stress by five sensors (Wsc1, Wsc2, Wsc3, Mid2, Mtl1)...
- Leduc A, He C, Ramotar D. Disruption of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae cell-wall pathway gene SLG1 causes hypersensitivity to the antitumor drug bleomycin. Mol Genet Genomics. 2003;269:78-89 pubmed..One of these mutants harbored a single insertion in the SLG1 gene, which encodes a cell membrane protein that senses cell wall stress, and functions to maintain cell wall ..
- Stirling D, Stark M. Mutations in SPC110, encoding the yeast spindle pole body calmodulin-binding protein, cause defects in cell integrity as well as spindle formation. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2000;1499:85-100 pubmed..primary spindle defect, or indirectly through increased extracellular osmolarity or high dosage of MID2 or SLG1/HCS77/WSC1 which preserve viability...
- de Bettignies G, Barthe C, Morel C, Peypouquet M, Doignon F, Crouzet M. RGD1 genetically interacts with MID2 and SLG1, encoding two putative sensors for cell integrity signalling in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Yeast. 1999;15:1719-31 pubmed..Study of one lethal mutant made it possible to identify the SLG1 and MID2 genes. The gene SLG1/HCS77/WSC1 was mutated in the original synthetic lethal strain, whereas MID2/SMS1 acted as a monocopy suppressor...
- Backhaus K, Rippert D, Heilmann C, Sorgo A, de Koster C, Klis F, et al. Mutations in SNF1 complex genes affect yeast cell wall strength. Eur J Cell Biol. 2013;92:383-95 pubmed publisher..Epistasis analyses with mutants in cell wall integrity (CWI) signaling confirm that the SNF1 complex and the CWI pathway independently affect yeast cell integrity. ..
- Rodicio R, Buchwald U, Schmitz H, Heinisch J. Dissecting sensor functions in cell wall integrity signaling in Kluyveromyces lactis. Fungal Genet Biol. 2008;45:422-35 pubmed..Sensor-GFP fusions localize to the plasma membrane, with a cell cycle dependent distribution of KlWsc1-GFP. Both Wsc-type sensors concentrate in discrete spots within the plasma membrane. ..
- O Donnell A, Stevens J, Kepkay R, Barnes C, Johnston G, Singer R. New mutant versions of yeast FACT subunit Spt16 affect cell integrity. Mol Genet Genomics. 2009;282:487-502 pubmed publisher..Thus, the FACT subunit Spt16 and Pkc1 signaling have an overlapping essential function, with an unexpected role for FACT in the maintenance of cell integrity. ..
- Bialek Wyrzykowska U, Bauer B, Wagner W, Kohlwein S, Schweyen R, Ragnini A. Low levels of Ypt protein prenylation cause vesicle polarization defects and thermosensitive growth that can be suppressed by genes involved in cell wall maintenance. Mol Microbiol. 2000;35:1295-311 pubmed..chain able to bind the unconventional type V myosin Myo2, or of genes involved in cell wall maintenance, such as SLG1, GFA1 and LRE1, suppresses mrs6-2 thermosensitivity...
- Green R, Lesage G, Sdicu A, Menard P, Bussey H. A synthetic analysis of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae stress sensor Mid2p, and identification of a Mid2p-interacting protein, Zeo1p, that modulates the PKC1-MPK1 cell integrity pathway. Microbiology. 2003;149:2487-99 pubmed..These include WSC1 and ROM2, upstream elements in cell integrity pathway signalling, and FKS1 and SMI1, required for 1,3-beta-glucan ..
- Tomishige N, Noda Y, Adachi H, Shimoi H, Takatsuki A, Yoda K. Mutations that are synthetically lethal with a gas1Delta allele cause defects in the cell wall of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Genet Genomics. 2003;269:562-73 pubmed..Furthermore, the genes CSG2 and IPT1 were found to be required for normal growth of gas1Delta cells in the presence of 1 M sorbitol. This finding suggests that complex sphingolipids play a role in the hyper-osmotic response. ..
- Ahmadpour D, Maciaszczyk Dziubinska E, Babazadeh R, Dahal S, Migocka M, Andersson M, et al. The mitogen-activated protein kinase Slt2 modulates arsenite transport through the aquaglyceroporin Fps1. FEBS Lett. 2016;590:3649-3659 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that Hog1 and Slt2 may affect each other's binding to Fps1, thereby controlling the opening and closing of the channel. ..
- Zanelli C, Valentini S. Pkc1 acts through Zds1 and Gic1 to suppress growth and cell polarity defects of a yeast eIF5A mutant. Genetics. 2005;171:1571-81 pubmed..Taken together, these data strongly support the correlated involvement of Pkc1 and eIF5A in establishing actin polarity, which is essential for bud formation and G1/S transition in S. cerevisiae. ..
- Jin C, Parshin A, Daly I, Strich R, Cooper K. The cell wall sensors Mtl1, Wsc1, and Mid2 are required for stress-induced nuclear to cytoplasmic translocation of cyclin C and programmed cell death in yeast. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2013;2013:320823 pubmed publisher..report demonstrates that under low oxidative stress conditions, a combination of membrane sensors, Mtl1 and either Wsc1 or Mid2, are required jointly to transmit the oxidative stress signal to initiate cyclin C destruction...
- Merchan S, Bernal D, Serrano R, Yenush L. Response of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae Mpk1 mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway to increases in internal turgor pressure caused by loss of Ppz protein phosphatases. Eukaryot Cell. 2004;3:100-7 pubmed..Moreover, we present genetic evidence showing that both the Wsc1 and Mid2 branches of the Mpk1 pathway contribute to this response...
- Kosodo Y, Imai K, Hirata A, Noda Y, Takatsuki A, Adachi H, et al. Multicopy suppressors of the sly1 temperature-sensitive mutation in the ER-Golgi vesicular transport in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Yeast. 2001;18:1003-14 pubmed..that encode a multifunctional suppressor, SSD1; (2) heat shock proteins, SSB1 and SSB2; (3) cell surface proteins, WSC1, WSC2 and MID2; (4) ER-Golgi transport proteins, USO1 and BET1; and (5) an as-yet-uncharacterized protein, HSD1 (..
- Córcoles Sáez I, Ballester Tomás L, de la Torre Ruiz M, Prieto J, Randez Gil F. Low temperature highlights the functional role of the cell wall integrity pathway in the regulation of growth in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochem J. 2012;446:477-88 pubmed publisher..Hence, cold signalling through the CWI pathway has distinct features and might mediate still unknown effectors and targets. ..
- Pagán Mercado G, Santiago Cartagena E, Akamine P, RODRIGUEZ MEDINA J. Functional and genetic interactions of TOR in the budding yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae with myosin type II-deficiency (myo1?). BMC Cell Biol. 2012;13:13 pubmed publisher..The cell wall stress sensor WSC1 that activates PKC1 CWIP under other stress conditions was shown to act as a negative regulator of TORC1 in the ..
- Wright C, Fewell S, Sullivan M, Pipas J, Watkins S, Brodsky J. The Hsp40 molecular chaperone Ydj1p, along with the protein kinase C pathway, affects cell-wall integrity in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2007;175:1649-64 pubmed..Together, these data provide the first direct link between cytoplasmic chaperone function and cell-wall integrity and suggest that chaperones orchestrate the complex biogenesis of this structure. ..