Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SLA1
Description: cytoskeletal protein-binding protein SLA1
Alias: cytoskeletal protein-binding protein SLA1
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Rodal A, Manning A, Goode B, Drubin D. Negative regulation of yeast WASp by two SH3 domain-containing proteins. Curr Biol. 2003;13:1000-8 pubmed..Two SH3 domain-containing binding partners of Las17, Sla1 and Bbc1, were purified and were shown to cooperate in inhibiting Las17 activity...
- Costa R, Ayscough K. Interactions between Sla1p, Lsb5p and Arf3p in yeast endocytosis. Biochem Soc Trans. 2005;33:1273-5 pubmed..We show that Lsb5p can interact with yeast Arf3p (orthologous with mammalian Arf6) and we demonstrate a requirement for Arf3p expression in order to localize Lsb5p to the cell cortex. ..
- Mahadev R, Di Pietro S, Olson J, Piao H, Payne G, Overduin M. Structure of Sla1p homology domain 1 and interaction with the NPFxD endocytic internalization motif. EMBO J. 2007;26:1963-71 pubmed..Its distant relationship with the SH3 fold endows this superfamily with a new role in endocytosis. ..
- Piao H, Machado I, Payne G. NPFXD-mediated endocytosis is required for polarity and function of a yeast cell wall stress sensor. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:57-65 pubmed..The dynamic localization of Wsc1p, a sensor of the extracellular wall in yeast, resembles polarized distribution of certain extracellular matrix-sensing integrins through endocytic recycling. ..
- Howard J, Hutton J, Olson J, Payne G. Sla1p serves as the targeting signal recognition factor for NPFX(1,2)D-mediated endocytosis. J Cell Biol. 2002;157:315-26 pubmed..A two-hybrid interaction screen for NPFX(1,2)D-interacting proteins yielded SLA1, but no genes encoding Eps15 homology (EH) domains, protein modules known to recognize NPF peptides...
- Dewar H, Warren D, Gardiner F, Gourlay C, Satish N, Richardson M, et al. Novel proteins linking the actin cytoskeleton to the endocytic machinery in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:3646-61 pubmed..Our data demonstrate that Ysc84p and Lsb5p are important components of complexes involved in overlapping pathways coupling endocytosis with the actin cytoskeleton in yeast. ..
- Jin M, Cai M. A novel function of Arp2p in mediating Prk1p-specific regulation of actin and endocytosis in yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:297-307 pubmed
- Gandhi M, Achard V, Blanchoin L, Goode B. Coronin switches roles in actin disassembly depending on the nucleotide state of actin. Mol Cell. 2009;34:364-74 pubmed publisher..We conclude that coronin polarizes the spatial distribution and activity of cofilin to promote selective disassembly of older actin filaments. ..
- Zarrinpar A, Park S, Lim W. Optimization of specificity in a cellular protein interaction network by negative selection. Nature. 2003;426:676-80 pubmed..System-wide negative selection is a subtle but powerful evolutionary mechanism to optimize specificity within an interaction network composed of overlapping recognition elements. ..
- Friesen H, Murphy K, Breitkreutz A, Tyers M, Andrews B. Regulation of the yeast amphiphysin homologue Rvs167p by phosphorylation. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:3027-40 pubmed..Our results suggest that phosphorylation of Rvs167p by a cyclin-dependent kinase and by a MAP kinase is an important mechanism for regulating protein complexes involved in actin cytoskeleton function. ..
- Guiney E, Goldman A, Elias J, Cyert M. Calcineurin regulates the yeast synaptojanin Inp53/Sjl3 during membrane stress. Mol Biol Cell. 2015;26:769-85 pubmed publisher..regulation, Inp53 shifts from associating predominantly with clathrin to interacting with endocytic proteins Sla1, Bzz1, and Bsp1, suggesting that Inp53 mediates stress-specific endocytic events...
- Barker S, Lee L, Pierce B, Maldonado Baez L, Drubin D, Wendland B. Interaction of the endocytic scaffold protein Pan1 with the type I myosins contributes to the late stages of endocytosis. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:2893-903 pubmed..array screens with a pan1DeltaPRD strain found genetic interactions with alleles of ACT1, LAS17 and a deletion of SLA1. Through a yeast two-hybrid screen, the Src homology 3 domains of the type I myosins, Myo3 and Myo5, were ..
- Fiorani P, Reid R, Schepis A, Jacquiau H, Guo H, Thimmaiah P, et al. The deubiquitinating enzyme Doa4p protects cells from DNA topoisomerase I poisons. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:21271-81 pubmed..Mutant alleles of three genes, DOA4, SLA1 and SLA2, were recovered...
- Tu J, Song W, Carlson M. Protein phosphatase type 1 interacts with proteins required for meiosis and other cellular processes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:4199-206 pubmed..In addition, this study indicates that the two-hybrid system offers a promising approach to understanding the multiple roles and interactions of PP1 in cellular regulation. ..
- Ganusova E, Ozolins L, Bhagat S, Newnam G, Wegrzyn R, Sherman M, et al. Modulation of prion formation, aggregation, and toxicity by the actin cytoskeleton in yeast. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:617-29 pubmed..These aggregates promote prion formation. Moreover, it appears that the actin cytoskeleton also plays a certain role in counteracting the toxicity of the overproduced potentially aggregating proteins. ..
- Haynes J, Garcia B, Stollar E, Rath A, Andrews B, Davidson A. The biologically relevant targets and binding affinity requirements for the function of the yeast actin-binding protein 1 Src-homology 3 domain vary with genetic context. Genetics. 2007;176:193-208 pubmed..defects observed generally increased as binding affinity was reduced, some genetic backgrounds (prk1 Delta and sla1 Delta) tolerated large affinity reductions while others (sac6 Delta and sla2 Delta) were much more sensitive to ..
- Germann M, Swain E, Bergman L, Nickels J. Characterizing the sphingolipid signaling pathway that remediates defects associated with loss of the yeast amphiphysin-like orthologs, Rvs161p and Rvs167p. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:4270-8 pubmed..Based on our results, we suggest that sphingolipid-dependent suppression of rvs defects may not work entirely through regulating changes in actin organization. ..
- Huang B, Chua L, Bose N, Cai M. Negative regulation of the actin-regulating kinase Prk1p by patch localization-induced autophosphorylation. Traffic. 2009;10:35-41 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the autophosphorylation of Prk1p may represent a feedback mechanism possibly involved in fine-tuning the pace of progression during actin-coupled endocytosis. ..
- Roelants F, Leskoske K, Pedersen R, Muir A, Liu J, Finnigan G, et al. TOR Complex 2-Regulated Protein Kinase Fpk1 Stimulates Endocytosis via Inhibition of Ark1/Prk1-Related Protein Kinase Akl1 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 2017;37: pubmed publisher..Monitoring phosphorylation of known Akl1 substrates (Sla1 and Ent2) confirmed that Akl1 is hyperactive when not phosphorylated by Fpk1...
- He Y, Hicke L, Radhakrishnan I. Structural basis for ubiquitin recognition by SH3 domains. J Mol Biol. 2007;373:190-6 pubmed..the solution NMR structure of ubiquitin in complex with an SH3 domain belonging to the yeast endocytic protein Sla1. The ubiquitin binding surface of the Sla1 SH3 domain overlaps substantially with the canonical binding surface for ..
- Liu Y, Liu N, Wu D, Bi Q, Meng S. The longevity of tor1Î”, sch9Î”, and ras2Î” mutants depends on actin dynamics in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Cell Biosci. 2015;5:18 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, deletion of SLA1 in tor1Î”, sch9Î”, and ras2Î” mutants inhibited the actin dynamics and life span...
- Liu K, Hua Z, Nepute J, Graham T. Yeast P4-ATPases Drs2p and Dnf1p are essential cargos of the NPFXD/Sla1p endocytic pathway. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:487-500 pubmed..These results demonstrate an essential role for endocytosis in retrieving proteins back to the Golgi, and they define critical cargos of the NPFXD/Sla1p system...
- Toi H, Fujimura Kamada K, Irie K, Takai Y, Todo S, Tanaka K. She4p/Dim1p interacts with the motor domain of unconventional myosins in the budding yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:2237-49 pubmed..Our results suggest that She4p/Dim1p is required for structural integrity or regulation of the motor domain of unconventional myosins. ..
- Chi R, Torres O, SEGARRA V, Lansley T, Chang J, Newpher T, et al. Role of Scd5, a protein phosphatase-1 targeting protein, in phosphoregulation of Sla1 during endocytosis. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:4728-39 pubmed publisher..In contrast, the lifetime of Sla1, a Prk1 target, was extended less than twofold, but its cortical recruitment was significantly reduced...
- Clark M, Teply J, Haarer B, Viggiano S, Sept D, Amberg D. A genetic dissection of Aip1p's interactions leads to a model for Aip1p-cofilin cooperative activities. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:1971-84 pubmed..We theorize that Aip1p-severing activity may involve simultaneous binding to two actin subunits with cofilin wedged between the two actin binding sites of the N- and C-terminal propeller domains. ..
- Labedzka K, Tian C, Nussbaumer U, Timmermann S, Walther P, Müller J, et al. Sho1p connects the plasma membrane with proteins of the cytokinesis network through multiple isomeric interaction states. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:4103-13 pubmed publisher..Owing to the overlapping binding specificities of its members the HICS complex is best described as ensembles of isomeric interaction states that precisely coordinate the different functions of the interactors during cytokinesis. ..
- Gourlay C, Dewar H, Warren D, Costa R, Satish N, Ayscough K. An interaction between Sla1p and Sla2p plays a role in regulating actin dynamics and endocytosis in budding yeast. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:2551-64 pubmed..We propose that Sla2p recruits Sla1p to endocytic sites. Sla1p and its associated protein Pan1p then regulate actin assembly through interactions with Arp2/3 and Arp2/3-activating proteins Abp1p and Las17/Bee1p. ..
- Mochida J, Yamamoto T, Fujimura Kamada K, Tanaka K. The novel adaptor protein, Mti1p, and Vrp1p, a homolog of Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome protein-interacting protein (WIP), may antagonistically regulate type I myosins in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2002;160:923-34 pubmed..These results suggest that Mti1p and Vrp1p antagonistically regulate type I myosin functions. ..
- Ragni E, Piberger H, Neupert C, García Cantalejo J, Popolo L, Arroyo J, et al. The genetic interaction network of CCW12, a Saccharomyces cerevisiae gene required for cell wall integrity during budding and formation of mating projections. BMC Genomics. 2011;12:107 pubmed publisher..Among those are BCK1, CHS3, EDE1, PFD1, SLT2 and SLA1 that were also identified in the SGA...
- Sun Y, Leong N, Jiang T, Tangara A, Darzacq X, Drubin D. Switch-like Arp2/3 activation upon WASP and WIP recruitment to an apparent threshold level by multivalent linker proteins in vivo. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..These studies provide evidence that WASP and WIP play central roles in establishment of a robust multivalent SH3 domain-PRM network in vivo, giving actin assembly onset at endocytic sites a switch-like behavior. ..
- Pruyne D, Bretscher A. Polarization of cell growth in yeast. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 ( Pt 4):571-85 pubmed..The dynamic arrangement of targeting and recycling provides flexibility for the precise control of morphogenesis. ..
- Costa R, Warren D, Ayscough K. Lsb5p interacts with actin regulators Sla1p and Las17p, ubiquitin and Arf3p to couple actin dynamics to membrane trafficking processes. Biochem J. 2005;387:649-58 pubmed..The site of interaction with Sla1p involves the Sla1 HD1 (homology domain 1), which also was shown previously to interact with the pheromone receptor Ste2p...
- Yu X, Cai M. The yeast dynamin-related GTPase Vps1p functions in the organization of the actin cytoskeleton via interaction with Sla1p. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:3839-53 pubmed..These findings suggest that the functions of the dynamin-related protein Vps1p in actin cytoskeleton dynamics and vacuolar protein sorting are probably related to each other. ..
- Burston H, Maldonado Baez L, Davey M, Montpetit B, Schluter C, Wendland B, et al. Regulators of yeast endocytosis identified by systematic quantitative analysis. J Cell Biol. 2009;185:1097-110 pubmed publisher..Our findings highlight the conserved machinery and reveal novel mechanisms that underlie endocytic internalization. ..
- Feliciano D, Bultema J, Ambrosio A, Di Pietro S. In vivo andin vitro studies of adaptor-clathrin interaction. J Vis Exp. 2011;: pubmed publisher..Here we use Sla1p as a model to describe approaches for adaptor-clathrin interaction studies. We focus on live cell fluorescence microscopy, GST-pull down, and co-immunoprecipitation methods. ..
- Venturi G, Bloecher A, Williams Hart T, Tatchell K. Genetic interactions between GLC7, PPZ1 and PPZ2 in saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2000;155:69-83 pubmed..Together our data suggest that Ppz1p and Ppz2p may have overlapping functions with Glc7p and that all three phosphatases may act through common regulatory proteins. ..
- Li H, Page N, Bussey H. Actin patch assembly proteins Las17p and Sla1p restrict cell wall growth to daughter cells and interact with cis-Golgi protein Kre6p. Yeast. 2002;19:1097-112 pubmed..EM image analysis and beta-1,6-glucan localization indicated abnormal wall proliferation in the mother cells of these mutants. The pattern of cell wall hypertrophy indicates a failure to restrict cell wall growth to the bud. ..
- Johansen J, Alfaro G, Beh C. Polarized Exocytosis Induces Compensatory Endocytosis by Sec4p-Regulated Cortical Actin Polymerization. PLoS Biol. 2016;14:e1002534 pubmed publisher..Activated Sec4p then promotes actin polymerization and triggers compensatory endocytosis, which controls surface expansion and kinetically refines cell polarization. ..
- Welch M, Drubin D. A nuclear protein with sequence similarity to proteins implicated in human acute leukemias is important for cellular morphogenesis and actin cytoskeletal function in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 1994;5:617-32 pubmed..Anc1p, the anc1 delta 1::HIS3 mutation was found to be synthetically lethal in combination with a null mutation in SLA1, a gene that is important for membrane cytoskeleton function...
- Bailleul P, Newnam G, Steenbergen J, Chernoff Y. Genetic study of interactions between the cytoskeletal assembly protein sla1 and prion-forming domain of the release factor Sup35 (eRF3) in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 1999;153:81-94 pubmed..We show that the C-terminal domain of the yeast cytoskeletal assembly protein Sla1 (Sla1C) specifically interacts with the N-terminal prion-forming domain (Sup35N) of the yeast release factor Sup35 (..
- Smaczynska de Rooij I, Costa R, Ayscough K. Yeast Arf3p modulates plasma membrane PtdIns(4,5)P2 levels to facilitate endocytosis. Traffic. 2008;9:559-73 pubmed publisher..Our data provide evidence for a mechanism in yeast to positively regulate plasma membrane production of PtdIns(4,5)P2 levels and that these changes impact on endocytosis. ..
- Zeng G, Yu X, Cai M. Regulation of yeast actin cytoskeleton-regulatory complex Pan1p/Sla1p/End3p by serine/threonine kinase Prk1p. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:3759-72 pubmed..These results lend a strong support to the model that the phosphorylation of the Pan1p/Sla1p/End3p complex by Prk1p is one of the important mechanisms by which the organization and functions of the actin cytoskeleton are regulated. ..
- Stamenova S, French M, He Y, Francis S, Kramer Z, Hicke L. Ubiquitin binds to and regulates a subset of SH3 domains. Mol Cell. 2007;25:273-84 pubmed..Here we identify a class of SH3 domains that bind to ubiquitin. The yeast endocytic protein Sla1, as well as the mammalian proteins CIN85 and amphiphysin, carry ubiquitin-binding SH3 domains...
- Gardiner F, Costa R, Ayscough K. Nucleocytoplasmic trafficking is required for functioning of the adaptor protein Sla1p in endocytosis. Traffic. 2007;8:347-58 pubmed..We determine the mechanism, involving an alpha/beta importin pair, that facilitates uptake of Sla1p and demonstrate that nuclear transport is required for the functioning of Sla1p during endocytosis. ..
- Feliciano D, Di Pietro S. SLAC, a complex between Sla1 and Las17, regulates actin polymerization during clathrin-mediated endocytosis. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:4256-72 pubmed publisher..In this paper, we demonstrate that Las17 is part of a large and biochemically stable complex with Sla1, a clathrin adaptor that inhibits Las17 activity...
- Merlini L, Bolognesi A, Juanes M, Vandermoere F, Courtellemont T, Pascolutti R, et al. Rho1- and Pkc1-dependent phosphorylation of the F-BAR protein Syp1 contributes to septin ring assembly. Mol Biol Cell. 2015;26:3245-62 pubmed publisher..We propose that Rho1 and Pkc1 coordinate septin ring assembly with membrane and cell wall remodeling partly by controlling Syp1 residence at the bud neck. ..
- Bidlingmaier S, Snyder M. Large-scale identification of genes important for apical growth in Saccharomyces cerevisiae by directed allele replacement technology (DART) screening. Funct Integr Genomics. 2002;1:345-56 pubmed..We identified 29 insertion alleles, containing mutations in 17 different genes ( SMY1, SPA2, PAN1, SLA1, SLA2, CBK1, SEC22, FAB1, VPS36, VID22, RAS2, ECM33, OPI3, API1/YDR372c, API2/YDR525w, API3/YKR020w, and API4/..
- Yaguchi S, Shen H, Tsurugi K. Localization of Gts1p in cortical actin patches of yeast and its possible role in endocytosis. Eur J Cell Biol. 2007;86:275-85 pubmed..These results suggested that Gts1p in the actin patch is involved in the fluid-phase endocytosis and membrane trafficking for vacuole formation and that the putative ARF-GAP domain in Gts1p plays an important role in these functions. ..
- Jarmoszewicz K, Łukasiak K, Riezman H, Kaminska J. Rsp5 ubiquitin ligase is required for protein trafficking in Saccharomyces cerevisiae COPI mutants. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e39582 pubmed publisher..We found that the effect of rsp5 mutation on the Golgi-to-ER trafficking is similar to that of sla1? mutation in a gene encoding actin cytoskeleton proteins, an Rsp5p substrate...
- Kodama H, Ito K, Nakamura Y. The role of N-terminal domain of translational release factor eRF3 for the control of functionality and stability in S. cerevisiae. Genes Cells. 2007;12:639-50 pubmed..Of factors tested, Itt1 over-expression and Sla1 knockout severely impaired viability of eRF3ts cell and its protein abundance in permissive and semipermissive ..