Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SKN7
Description: kinase-regulated stress-responsive transcription factor SKN7
Alias: BRY1, POS9, kinase-regulated stress-responsive transcription factor SKN7
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Bouquin N, Johnson A, Morgan B, Johnston L. Association of the cell cycle transcription factor Mbp1 with the Skn7 response regulator in budding yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 1999;10:3389-400 pubmedWe previously isolated the SKN7 gene in a screen designed to isolate new components of the G1-S cell cycle transcription machinery in budding yeast...
- Ketela T, Brown J, Stewart R, Bussey H. Yeast Skn7p activity is modulated by the Sln1p-Ypd1p osmosensor and contributes to regulation of the HOG pathway. Mol Gen Genet. 1998;259:372-8 pubmed..The contribution of Skn7p to HOG pathway regulation appears to be modulated by the receiver domain, since non-phosphorylatable Skn7pD427N is unable to fully restore growth to ptc1/skn7 cells.
- Ear P, Michnick S. A general life-death selection strategy for dissecting protein functions. Nat Methods. 2009;6:813-6 pubmed publisher..We applied this method to mutational or chemical disruption of protein-protein interactions in yeast and to dissection of the functions of an allosterically activated transcription factor, Swi6. ..
- Lorenz M, Heitman J. Regulators of pseudohyphal differentiation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae identified through multicopy suppressor analysis in ammonium permease mutant strains. Genetics. 1998;150:1443-57 pubmed..Multicopy expression of TEC1, PHD1, PHD2 (MSS10/MSN1/FUP4), MSN5, CDC6, MSS11, MGA1, SKN7, DOT6, HMS1, HMS2, or MEP2 each restored filamentation in a Deltamep1/Deltamep1 Deltamep2/Deltamep2 strain...
- Cui Z, Horecka J, Jigami Y. Cdc4 is involved in the transcriptional control of OCH1, a gene encoding alpha-1,6-mannosyltransferase in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Yeast. 2002;19:69-77 pubmed..Transcription of OCH1 is regulated by two transcription factors, Swi4 and Skn7. To learn more about the signals that feed into the Swi4 regulation, we isolated a mutant, bon1-1 (bypass of Skn7), ..
- Ault A, Fassler J, Deschenes R. Altered phosphotransfer in an activated mutant of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae two-component osmosensor Sln1p. Eukaryot Cell. 2002;1:174-80 pubmed
- Maity S, Rajkumar A, Matai L, Bhat A, Ghosh A, Agam G, et al. Oxidative Homeostasis Regulates the Response to Reductive Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress through Translation Control. Cell Rep. 2016;16:851-65 pubmed publisher..Finally, we demonstrate that PERK, a canonical translation attenuator in higher eukaryotes, helps in bypassing a ROS-dependent, non-canonical mode of translation attenuation. ..
- Brown J, North S, Bussey H. SKN7, a yeast multicopy suppressor of a mutation affecting cell wall beta-glucan assembly, encodes a product with domains homologous to prokaryotic two-component regulators and to heat shock transcription factors. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:6908-15 pubmed..elevated copy number, could suppress the growth defect in a strain disrupted at the KRE9 locus has identified the SKN7 gene...
- Lenssen E, Azzouz N, Michel A, Landrieux E, Collart M. The Ccr4-not complex regulates Skn7 through Srb10 kinase. Eukaryot Cell. 2007;6:2251-9 pubmed..In this study, we identified the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae osmotic and oxidative stress transcription factor Skn7 as a new target for regulation by the Ccr4-Not complex...
- Kikuchi Y, Mizuuchi E, Nogami S, Morishita S, Ohya Y. Involvement of Rho-type GTPase in control of cell size in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. FEMS Yeast Res. 2007;7:569-78 pubmed..Analyses of mutants defective in Rho1p effector proteins indicate that Skn7p, Fks1p and Mpk1p are involved in cell-size control. Thus, Rho1p and its downstream regulatory pathways are involved in controlling cell size in S. cerevisiae. ..
- Hanlon S, Rizzo J, Tatomer D, Lieb J, Buck M. The stress response factors Yap6, Cin5, Phd1, and Skn7 direct targeting of the conserved co-repressor Tup1-Ssn6 in S. cerevisiae. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e19060 pubmed publisher..Four top candidates, Cin5, Skn7, Phd1, and Yap6, all known to be associated with stress response gene regulation, were experimentally confirmed to ..
- PÃ©rez Landero S, Sandoval Motta S, MartÃnez Anaya C, Yang R, Folch Mallol J, MartÃnez L, et al. Complex regulation of Hsf1-Skn7 activities by the catalytic subunits of PKA in Saccharomyces cerevisiae: experimental and computational evidences. BMC Syst Biol. 2015;9:42 pubmed publisher..Our genetic analysis revealed complex regulatory interactions between the CS that influenced the inhibition of Hsf1/Skn7 transcription factors...
- Alberts A, Bouquin N, Johnston L, Treisman R. Analysis of RhoA-binding proteins reveals an interaction domain conserved in heterotrimeric G protein beta subunits and the yeast response regulator protein Skn7. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:8616-22 pubmed..sequence homology are present in heterotrimeric G protein beta subunits and in the Saccharomyces cerevisiae Skn7 protein...
- Brown J, Bussey H, Stewart R. Yeast Skn7p functions in a eukaryotic two-component regulatory pathway. EMBO J. 1994;13:5186-94 pubmedPrevious analysis of the amino acid sequence of Skn7p, the product of the yeast SKN7 gene, revealed a potential 'receiver motif' homologous to that found in bacterial response regulators (signal-transducing effector proteins regulated by ..
- Williams K, Cyert M. The eukaryotic response regulator Skn7p regulates calcineurin signaling through stabilization of Crz1p. EMBO J. 2001;20:3473-83 pubmed..We show that the overexpression of SKN7, a response-regulator transcription factor, activates transcription from a calcineurin/Crz1p-dependent response ..
- Janiak Spens F, Sparling D, West A. Novel role for an HPt domain in stabilizing the phosphorylated state of a response regulator domain. J Bacteriol. 2000;182:6673-8 pubmed..phosphoryl transfer from a hybrid sensor kinase, SLN1, to two distinct response regulator proteins, SSK1 and SKN7. Because the phosphorylation state largely determines the functional state of response regulator proteins, we have ..
- Altıntaş A, Davidsen K, Garde C, Mortensen U, Brasen J, Sams T, et al. High-resolution kinetics and modeling of hydrogen peroxide degradation in live cells. Free Radic Biol Med. 2016;101:143-153 pubmed publisher..A better fundamental understanding of the role protective factors play in the recovery from oxidative stress may lead to strategies for protecting or sensitizing cell to this stress. ..
- Porter S, West A. A common docking site for response regulators on the yeast phosphorelay protein YPD1. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005;1748:138-45 pubmed..a bifurcation point between the SLN1-YPD1-SSK1 pathway responsible for osmotic stress responses and the SLN1-YPD1-SKN7 pathway involved in cell wall biosynthesis and cell cycle control...
- Li S, Dean S, Li Z, Horecka J, Deschenes R, Fassler J. The eukaryotic two-component histidine kinase Sln1p regulates OCH1 via the transcription factor, Skn7p. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:412-24 pubmed..The multifunctional Skn7 protein is important in oxidative as well as osmotic stress; however, the Skn7p receiver domain aspartate that is ..
- Page N, Sheraton J, Brown J, Stewart R, Bussey H. Identification of ASK10 as a multicopy activator of Skn7p-dependent transcription of a HIS3 reporter gene. Yeast. 1996;12:267-72 pubmed..A search to identify possible regulators of the SKN7 mediated 'two-component' regulatory system has identified Ask10p as a novel potential transcription factor...
- Gómez Pastor R, Garre E, Perez Torrado R, Matallana E. Trx2p-dependent regulation of Saccharomyces cerevisiae oxidative stress response by the Skn7p transcription factor under respiring conditions. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e85404 pubmed publisher..We propose Trx2p to be a new positive efector in the regulation of the Skn7p transcription factor that controls phosphorylation events and, therefore, modulates the oxidative stress response in yeast. ..
- Krems B, Charizanis C, Entian K. The response regulator-like protein Pos9/Skn7 of Saccharomyces cerevisiae is involved in oxidative stress resistance. Curr Genet. 1996;29:327-34 pubmed..Isolation and sequencing of the respective POS9 gene revealed that it was identical to SKN7. The predicted Skn7/Pos9 protein possesses a domain with high homology to prokaryotic response regulators...
- Srikanth C, Chakraborti A, Bachhawat A. Acetaminophen toxicity and resistance in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Microbiology. 2005;151:99-111 pubmed..In contrast, resistance mediated by Pdr1p/Pdr3p did not require a functional Yap1p, and revealed a distinct hierarchy in the resistance to acetaminophen...
- Yi D, Kim M, Choi J, Lee J, Jung J, Huh W, et al. Yap1 and Skn7 genetically interact with Rad51 in response to oxidative stress and DNA double-strand break in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Free Radic Biol Med. 2016;101:424-433 pubmed publisher..In this study, we employed mutant strains lacking Rad51, the homolog of E. coli RecA recombinase, and Yap1 or Skn7, two major transcription factors responsive to ROS, to examine genetic interactions between double-strand break (..
- Lu J, Deschenes R, Fassler J. Role for the Ran binding protein, Mog1p, in Saccharomyces cerevisiae SLN1-SKN7 signal transduction. Eukaryot Cell. 2004;3:1544-56 pubmed..mog1 mutants exhibit defects in SLN1-SKN7 signal transduction and mislocalization of the Skn7p transcription factor...
- Li S, Ault A, Malone C, Raitt D, Dean S, Johnston L, et al. The yeast histidine protein kinase, Sln1p, mediates phosphotransfer to two response regulators, Ssk1p and Skn7p. EMBO J. 1998;17:6952-62 pubmed..The identification of genes responsive to both classes of Skn7p function suggests a central role for Skn7p and the SLN1-SKN7 pathway in integrating and coordinating cellular response to various types of environmental stress.
- Fomenko D, Koc A, Agisheva N, Jacobsen M, Kaya A, Malinouski M, et al. Thiol peroxidases mediate specific genome-wide regulation of gene expression in response to hydrogen peroxide. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:2729-34 pubmed publisher..The data suggest that thiol peroxidases sense and transfer oxidative signals to the signaling proteins and regulate transcription, whereas a direct interaction between H(2)O(2) and other cellular proteins plays a secondary role. ..
- Charizanis C, Juhnke H, Krems B, Entian K. The mitochondrial cytochrome c peroxidase Ccp1 of Saccharomyces cerevisiae is involved in conveying an oxidative stress signal to the transcription factor Pos9 (Skn7). Mol Gen Genet. 1999;262:437-47 pubmedIn Saccharomyces cerevisiae two transcription factors, Pos9 (Skn7) and Yap1, are involved in the response to oxidative stress...