Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SHY1
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Kucejova B, Li L, Wang X, Giannattasio S, Chen X. Pleiotropic effects of the yeast Sal1 and Aac2 carriers on mitochondrial function via an activity distinct from adenine nucleotide transport. Mol Genet Genomics. 2008;280:25-39 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data support the view that the V function is independent of adenine nucleotide transport associated with Sal1p and Aac2p and this evolutionarily conserved activity affects multiple processes in mitochondria. ..
- Fontanesi F, Clemente P, Barrientos A. Cox25 teams up with Mss51, Ssc1, and Cox14 to regulate mitochondrial cytochrome c oxidase subunit 1 expression and assembly in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:555-66 pubmed publisher..This step is probably catalyzed by assembly chaperones such as Shy1 in a process coupled to the release of Ssc1-Mss51 from the complex...
- Bareth B, Dennerlein S, Mick D, Nikolov M, Urlaub H, Rehling P. The heme a synthase Cox15 associates with cytochrome c oxidase assembly intermediates during Cox1 maturation. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:4128-37 pubmed publisher..However, at which step of the assembly process and how heme is inserted into Cox1 have remained an enigma. Shy1, the yeast SURF1 homolog, has been implicated in heme transfer to Cox1, whereas the heme a synthase, Cox15, ..
- Bareth B, Nikolov M, Lorenzi I, Hildenbeutel M, Mick D, Helbig C, et al. Oms1 associates with cytochrome c oxidase assembly intermediates to stabilize newly synthesized Cox1. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:1570-80 pubmed publisher..Our analyses show that Oms1 participates in cytochrome c oxidase assembly by stabilizing newly synthesized Cox1. ..
- Fontanesi F, SOTO I, Horn D, Barrientos A. Mss51 and Ssc1 facilitate translational regulation of cytochrome c oxidase biogenesis. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:245-59 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Ssc1, by interacting with Mss51 and Mss51-containing complexes, plays a critical role in Cox1 biogenesis, COX assembly, and the translational regulation of these processes. ..
- Mick D, Vukotic M, Piechura H, Meyer H, Warscheid B, Deckers M, et al. Coa3 and Cox14 are essential for negative feedback regulation of COX1 translation in mitochondria. J Cell Biol. 2010;191:141-54 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that Coa1 binding to sequestered Mss51 in complex with Cox14, Coa3, and Cox1 is essential for full inactivation. ..
- Reinhold R, Bareth B, Balleininger M, Wissel M, Rehling P, Mick D. Mimicking a SURF1 allele reveals uncoupling of cytochrome c oxidase assembly from translational regulation in yeast. Hum Mol Genet. 2011;20:2379-93 pubmed publisher..SURF1, termed Shy1 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae, is a conserved assembly factor for the terminal enzyme of the respiratory chain, ..
- Khalimonchuk O, Jeong M, Watts T, Ferris E, Winge D. Selective Oma1 protease-mediated proteolysis of Cox1 subunit of cytochrome oxidase in assembly mutants. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:7289-300 pubmed publisher..Specific Cox1 proteolysis in coa2? cells arises from a combination of Oma1 activation and a susceptible conformation of Cox1. ..