Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SGO1
Alias: YOR29-24, Sgo1p
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Yong Gonzalez V, Wang B, Butylin P, Ouspenski I, Strunnikov A. Condensin function at centromere chromatin facilitates proper kinetochore tension and ensures correct mitotic segregation of sister chromatids. Genes Cells. 2007;12:1075-90 pubmed..These findings show that, in addition to its essential role in rDNA segregation, condensin mediates segregation of the whole genome by maintaining the centromere structure in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. ..
- Jin F, Liu H, Li P, Yu H, Wang Y. Loss of function of the Cik1/Kar3 motor complex results in chromosomes with syntelic attachment that are sensed by the tension checkpoint. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002492 pubmed publisher..In budding yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae, tension checkpoint proteins Aurora/Ipl1 kinase and centromere-localized Sgo1 are required to sense the absence of tension but are dispensable for the checkpoint response to detached ..
- Campbell C, Desai A. Tension sensing by Aurora B kinase is independent of survivin-based centromere localization. Nature. 2013;497:118-21 pubmed publisher..the deletion phenotypes of the inner-centromere-targeting proteins survivin (Bir1), borealin (Nbl1), Bub1 and Sgo1 (ref. 6). Unlike wild-type Sli15, truncated Sli15 localizes to pre-anaphase spindle microtubules...
- Xu Z, Cetin B, Anger M, Cho U, Helmhart W, Nasmyth K, et al. Structure and function of the PP2A-shugoshin interaction. Mol Cell. 2009;35:426-41 pubmed publisher..A crystal structure of a complex between a fragment of human Sgo1 and an AB'C PP2A holoenzyme reveals that Sgo1 forms a homodimeric parallel coiled coil that docks simultaneously ..
- Kitajima T, Kawashima S, Watanabe Y. The conserved kinetochore protein shugoshin protects centromeric cohesion during meiosis. Nature. 2004;427:510-7 pubmed..The factors that protect centromeric cohesion during meiosis I have remained elusive. Here we identify Sgo1 (shugoshin), a protector of the centromeric cohesin Rec8 in fission yeast...
- Storchova Z, Becker J, Talarek N, Kögelsberger S, Pellman D. Bub1, Sgo1, and Mps1 mediate a distinct pathway for chromosome biorientation in budding yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:1473-85 pubmed publisher..and chromosome alignment, Bub1 is crucial for the kinetochore recruitment of multiple proteins, among them Sgo1. Both Bub1 and Sgo1 are dispensable for growth of haploid and diploid budding yeast, but they become essential in ..
- Kawashima S, Nakabayashi Y, Matsubara K, Sano N, Enomoto T, Tanaka K, et al. Global analysis of core histones reveals nucleosomal surfaces required for chromosome bi-orientation. EMBO J. 2011;30:3353-67 pubmed publisher..Severe impairment of the centromere localization of Sgo1, a key modulator of chromosome bi-orientation, occurred in H2A-I112A and H2A-E57A cells...
- Indjeian V, Stern B, Murray A. The centromeric protein Sgo1 is required to sense lack of tension on mitotic chromosomes. Science. 2005;307:130-3 pubmedChromosome alignment on the mitotic spindle is monitored by the spindle checkpoint. We identify Sgo1, a protein involved in meiotic chromosome cohesion, as a spindle checkpoint component...
- van de Pasch L, Miles A, Nijenhuis W, Brabers N, van Leenen D, Lijnzaad P, et al. Centromere binding and a conserved role in chromosome stability for SUMO-dependent ubiquitin ligases. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e65628 pubmed publisher..The study shows that STUbLs have a conserved role in maintenance of chromosome stability and links SUMO-dependent ubiquitination to a centromere-specific function during mitosis. ..
- Bizzari F, Marston A. Cdc55 coordinates spindle assembly and chromosome disjunction during meiosis. J Cell Biol. 2011;193:1213-28 pubmed publisher..Therefore, Cdc55 orders passage through the meiotic divisions by ensuring a balance of phosphatases. ..
- Ikui A, Cross F. Specific genetic interactions between spindle assembly checkpoint proteins and B-Type cyclins in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2009;183:51-61 pubmed publisher..Thus, different B-type cyclins are required for distinct aspects of spindle morphogenesis and function, as revealed by differential genetic interactions with spindle checkpoint components. ..
- Peplowska K, Wallek A, Storchova Z. Sgo1 regulates both condensin and Ipl1/Aurora B to promote chromosome biorientation. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004411 pubmed publisher..Here, we identify a novel function of shugoshin (Sgo1 in budding yeast) that together with the protein phosphatase PP2A-Rts1 ensures localization of condensin to the ..
- Mishra P, Thapa K, Chen P, Wang S, Hazbun T, Basrai M. Budding yeast CENP-ACse4 interacts with the N-terminus of Sgo1 and regulates its association with centromeric chromatin. Cell Cycle. 2018;17:11-23 pubmed publisher..Interaction of the C-terminus of Sgo1 with phosphorylated histone H2A regulates its association with CEN and pericentromeric (peri-CEN) chromatin, ..
- Jin F, Wang Y. The signaling network that silences the spindle assembly checkpoint upon the establishment of chromosome bipolar attachment. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:21036-41 pubmed publisher..on the intact SAC as well as increase in ploidy (Ipl1)/Aurora kinase and a centromere-associated protein ShuGOshin (Sgo1)...
- Dudas A, Ahmad S, Gregan J. Sgo1 is required for co-segregation of sister chromatids during achiasmate meiosis I. Cell Cycle. 2011;10:951-5 pubmed..poles during meiosis I in fission yeast cells that lack both chiasmata and the protector of centromeric cohesion Sgo1. Our data are consistent with the notion that sister kinetochores are frequently bi-oriented in the absence of ..
- Bokros M, Gravenmier C, Jin F, Richmond D, Wang Y. Fin1-PP1 Helps Clear Spindle Assembly Checkpoint Protein Bub1 from Kinetochores in Anaphase. Cell Rep. 2016;14:1074-1085 pubmed publisher..This mechanism is required for efficient SAC silencing after SAC is challenged, and untimely Fin1-kinetochore association causes premature SAC silencing and chromosome missegregation. ..
- Luo J, Deng X, Buehl C, Xu X, Kuo M. Identification of Tension Sensing Motif of Histone H3 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Its Regulation by Histone Modifying Enzymes. Genetics. 2016;204:1029-1043 pubmed publisher..In budding yeast, the residue Gly44 of histone H3 is critical for retaining the conserved Shugoshin protein Sgo1p at the pericentromeres for monitoring the tension status during mitosis...
- Ng T, Lenstra T, Duggan N, Jiang S, Ceto S, Holstege F, et al. Kinetochore function and chromosome segregation rely on critical residues in histones H3 and H4 in budding yeast. Genetics. 2013;195:795-807 pubmed publisher..entry site, and their genetic interaction with reduced IPL1 can be suppressed by increasing the dosage of SGO1, a key regulator of biorientation...
- Jin F, Bokros M, Wang Y. Premature Silencing of the Spindle Assembly Checkpoint Is Prevented by the Bub1-H2A-Sgo1-PP2A Axis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2017;205:1169-1178 pubmed publisher..budding yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae show that Ipl1/Aurora B kinase and a centromere-associated protein, Sgo1, are required to prevent SAC silencing prior to tension generation, but we believe that this regulatory network is ..
- Hinshaw S, Harrison S. An Iml3-Chl4 heterodimer links the core centromere to factors required for accurate chromosome segregation. Cell Rep. 2013;5:29-36 pubmed publisher..this subset, Iml3, both from Saccharomyces cerevisiae, form a stable protein complex that interacts with Mif2 and Sgo1. We have determined the structures of an Iml3 homodimer and an Iml3-Chl4 heterodimer, which suggest a mechanism for ..
- Nerusheva O, Galander S, Fernius J, Kelly D, Marston A. Tension-dependent removal of pericentromeric shugoshin is an indicator of sister chromosome biorientation. Genes Dev. 2014;28:1291-309 pubmed publisher..Here we show that budding yeast shugoshin Sgo1 dissociates from the pericentromere reversibly in response to tension...
- Eshleman H, Morgan D. Sgo1 recruits PP2A to chromosomes to ensure sister chromatid bi-orientation during mitosis. J Cell Sci. 2014;127:4974-83 pubmed publisher..This response depends on the adaptor protein Sgo1, which associates with pericentromeric chromatin in mitosis...