Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SGF73
Description: deubiquitination module subunit SGF73
Alias: SCA7, deubiquitination module subunit SGF73
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Lee K, Florens L, Swanson S, Washburn M, Workman J. The deubiquitylation activity of Ubp8 is dependent upon Sgf11 and its association with the SAGA complex. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:1173-82 pubmed..Taken together, these data indicate that the expression of some genes, including ARG1, is regulated by a balance of histone H2B ubiquitylation in the cell. ..
- Cai L, Sutter B, Li B, Tu B. Acetyl-CoA induces cell growth and proliferation by promoting the acetylation of histones at growth genes. Mol Cell. 2011;42:426-37 pubmed publisher..Thus, acetyl-CoA functions as a carbon-source rheostat that signals the initiation of the cellular growth program by promoting the acetylation of histones specifically at growth genes. ..
- Shukla A, Bajwa P, Bhaumik S. SAGA-associated Sgf73p facilitates formation of the preinitiation complex assembly at the promoters either in a HAT-dependent or independent manner in vivo. Nucleic Acids Res. 2006;34:6225-32 pubmed
- Eustice M, Pillus L. Unexpected function of the glucanosyltransferase Gas1 in the DNA damage response linked to histone H3 acetyltransferases in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2014;196:1029-39 pubmed publisher..Our analysis thus uncovers previously unsuspected functions for both Gas1 and Sas3 in DNA damage response and cell cycle regulation. ..
- Kamata K, Hatanaka A, Goswami G, Shinmyozu K, Nakayama J, Urano T, et al. C-terminus of the Sgf73 subunit of SAGA and SLIK is important for retention in the larger complex and for heterochromatin boundary function. Genes Cells. 2013;18:823-37 pubmed publisher..Previously, we used genome-wide screening to identify 55 boundary-related genes. Here, we focus on Sgf73, a boundary protein that is a component of the Spt-Ada-Gcn5 acetyltransferase (SAGA) and SLIK (SAGA-like) ..
- Downey M, Johnson J, Davey N, Newton B, Johnson T, Galaang S, et al. Acetylome profiling reveals overlap in the regulation of diverse processes by sirtuins, gcn5, and esa1. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2015;14:162-76 pubmed publisher..Our work provides a framework for understanding how HAT and HDAC enzymes collaborate to regulate critical cellular processes related to growth and division. ..
- Mayer M, Pot I, Chang M, Xu H, Aneliunas V, Kwok T, et al. Identification of protein complexes required for efficient sister chromatid cohesion. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:1736-45 pubmed..Furthermore, we find that genes involved in mitotic spindle integrity and positioning have a previously unrecognized role in sister chromatid cohesion. ..
- Lai C, Wu M, Li P, Shi C, Tian C, Zang J. Solution NMR characterization of Sgf73(1-104) indicates that Zn ion is required to stabilize zinc finger motif. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;397:436-40 pubmed publisherZinc finger motif contains a zinc ion coordinated by several conserved amino acid residues. Yeast Sgf73 protein was identified as a component of SAGA (Spt/Ada/Gcn5 acetyltransferase) multi-subunit complex and Sgf73 protein was known to ..
- Klöckner C, Schneider M, Lutz S, Jani D, Kressler D, Stewart M, et al. Mutational uncoupling of the role of Sus1 in nuclear pore complex targeting of an mRNA export complex and histone H2B deubiquitination. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:12049-56 pubmed publisher..Sus1 mediates its different roles as a component of both the histone H2B deubiquitinating module (Sus1-Sgf11-Ubp8-Sgf73) of the SAGA (Spt-Ada-Gcn5 acetyltransferase) transcriptional co-activator and the mRNA export complex, TREX-2 (..
- Mason A, Garza R, McCormick M, Patel B, Kennedy B, Pillus L, et al. The replicative lifespan-extending deletion of SGF73 results in altered ribosomal gene expression in yeast. Aging Cell. 2017;16:785-796 pubmed publisherb>Sgf73, a core component of SAGA, is the yeast orthologue of ataxin-7, which undergoes CAG-polyglutamine repeat expansion leading to the human neurodegenerative disease spinocerebellar ataxia type 7 (SCA7)...
- Durand A, Bonnet J, Fournier M, Chavant V, Schultz P. Mapping the deubiquitination module within the SAGA complex. Structure. 2014;22:1553-9 pubmed..Complete or partial deletion of the Sgf73 subunit disconnects the deubiquitination (DUB) module from SAGA and favors in our conditions the cleavage of the C-..
- García Oliver E, Pascual García P, García Molinero V, Lenstra T, Holstege F, Rodriguez Navarro S. A novel role for Sem1 and TREX-2 in transcription involves their impact on recruitment and H2B deubiquitylation activity of SAGA. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013;41:5655-68 pubmed publisher..These results unveil a new role for Sem1 in the activation of the SAGA-dependent gene GAL1 and influencing H2B deubiquitylation. Our work provides insights into a novel functional relationship between Sem1 and the SAGA complex. ..
- Bian C, Xu C, Ruan J, Lee K, Burke T, Tempel W, et al. Sgf29 binds histone H3K4me2/3 and is required for SAGA complex recruitment and histone H3 acetylation. EMBO J. 2011;30:2829-42 pubmed publisher..Our in vitro and in vivo functional assays show that Sgf29 recognizes methylated H3K4 to recruit the SAGA complex to its targets sites and mediates histone H3 acetylation, underscoring the importance of Sgf29 in gene regulation. ..
- Hoke S, Irina Mutiu A, Genereaux J, Kvas S, Buck M, Yu M, et al. Mutational analysis of the C-terminal FATC domain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae Tra1. Curr Genet. 2010;56:447-65 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate the regulatory potential of mechanisms targeting the FATC domains of PIKK proteins. ..
- Lim S, Kwak J, Kim M, Lee D. Separation of a functional deubiquitylating module from the SAGA complex by the proteasome regulatory particle. Nat Commun. 2013;4:2641 pubmed publisher..Sgf73p of the SAGA complex leads to the dissociation of the H2Bub1-deubiquitylating module (herein designated the Sgf73-DUBm) from SAGA both in vitro and in vivo...
- Han Y, Luo J, Ranish J, Hahn S. Architecture of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae SAGA transcription coactivator complex. EMBO J. 2014;33:2534-46 pubmed publisher..Our results provide new insight into SAGA function in gene regulation, its structural similarity with TFIID, and functional interactions between the SAGA modules. ..
- Spedale G, Meddens C, Koster M, Ko C, van Hooff S, Holstege F, et al. Tight cooperation between Mot1p and NC2? in regulating genome-wide transcription, repression of transcription following heat shock induction and genetic interaction with SAGA. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:996-1008 pubmed publisher..Our results support the model that Mot1p and NC2? directly cooperate in vivo to regulate TBP function, and that they are involved in maintaining basal expression levels as well as in resetting gene expression after induction by stress. ..
- Yan M, Wolberger C. Uncovering the role of Sgf73 in maintaining SAGA deubiquitinating module structure and activity. J Mol Biol. 2015;427:1765-78 pubmed publisher..The yeast DUBm comprises a catalytic subunit, Ubp8, and three additional subunits, Sgf11, Sus1 and Sgf73, all of which are required for DUBm activity...
- Setiaputra D, Ross J, Lu S, Cheng D, Dong M, Yip C. Conformational flexibility and subunit arrangement of the modular yeast Spt-Ada-Gcn5 acetyltransferase complex. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:10057-70 pubmed publisher..Our results relate information of overall SAGA structure with detailed subunit level interactions, improving our understanding of its architecture and flexibility. ..