Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SEM1
Description: proteasome regulatory particle lid subunit SEM1
Alias: DSS1, HOD1, proteasome regulatory particle lid subunit SEM1
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Sone T, Saeki Y, Toh e A, Yokosawa H. Sem1p is a novel subunit of the 26 S proteasome from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:28807-16 pubmed..the tagged strains of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, and we found that the lid contains a small molecular mass protein, Sem1. The Sem1 protein binds with the 26 S proteasome isolated from a mutant with deletion of SEM1 but not with the 26 S ..
- Bohn S, Sakata E, Beck F, Pathare G, Schnitger J, Nagy I, et al. Localization of the regulatory particle subunit Sem1 in the 26S proteasome. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013;435:250-4 pubmed publisher..5 MDa complex has been established recently, with the notable exception of the small acidic subunit Sem1. Here, we localize the C-terminal helix of Sem1 binding to the PCI domain of the subunit Rpn7 using cryo-electron ..
- Toikkanen J, Sundqvist L, Keränen S. Kluyveromyces lactis SSO1 and SEB1 genes are functional in Saccharomyces cerevisiae and enhance production of secreted proteins when overexpressed. Yeast. 2004;21:1045-55 pubmed..cerevisiae Seb1p, Sso2p and Sec4p can detect homologous proteins in cell lysates of K. lactis and Pichia pastoris, the latter also in Candida utilis. The GenBank Accession Nos are AF307983 (K. lactis SSO1) and AF318314 (K. lactis SEB1). ..
- Pike B, Heierhorst J. Mdt1 facilitates efficient repair of blocked DNA double-strand breaks and recombinational maintenance of telomeres. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:6532-45 pubmed
- Laporte D, Salin B, Daignan Fornier B, Sagot I. Reversible cytoplasmic localization of the proteasome in quiescent yeast cells. J Cell Biol. 2008;181:737-45 pubmed publisher..Finally, we observe conserved formation and mobilization of these PSGs in the evolutionary distant yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe. This conservation implies a broad significance for these proteasome reserves. ..
- Le Tallec B, Barrault M, Guerois R, Carré T, Peyroche A. Hsm3/S5b participates in the assembly pathway of the 19S regulatory particle of the proteasome. Mol Cell. 2009;33:389-99 pubmed publisher..Finally, we identify the putative species-specific 19S subunit S5b as a functional homolog of the Hsm3 chaperone in mammals. These findings shed light on chaperone-assisted proteasome assembly in eukaryotes. ..
- Saeki Y, Isono E, Toh e A. Preparation of ubiquitinated substrates by the PY motif-insertion method for monitoring 26S proteasome activity. Methods Enzymol. 2005;399:215-27 pubmed..In this communication, we describe that Sic1 was successfully ubiquitinated by the PY motif-insertion method and demonstrate that Sic1 thus ubiquitinated was degraded by the purified yeast 26S proteasome. ..
- Laribee R, Shibata Y, Mersman D, Collins S, Kemmeren P, Roguev A, et al. CCR4/NOT complex associates with the proteasome and regulates histone methylation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:5836-41 pubmed..These studies implicate CCR4/NOT in the regulation of H3K4me3 through a ubiquitin-dependent pathway that likely involves the proteasome. ..
- Shirozu R, Yashiroda H, Murata S. Proteasome Impairment Induces Recovery of Mitochondrial Membrane Potential and an Alternative Pathway of Mitochondrial Fusion. Mol Cell Biol. 2016;36:347-62 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate a new pathway for mitochondrial quality control that is induced by proteasome impairment. ..
- García Oliver E, Pascual García P, García Molinero V, Lenstra T, Holstege F, Rodriguez Navarro S. A novel role for Sem1 and TREX-2 in transcription involves their impact on recruitment and H2B deubiquitylation activity of SAGA. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013;41:5655-68 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that TREX-2 subunit Sem1 also participates in transcription activation...
- Taverner T, Hernandez H, Sharon M, Ruotolo B, Matak Vinkovic D, Devos D, et al. Subunit architecture of intact protein complexes from mass spectrometry and homology modeling. Acc Chem Res. 2008;41:617-27 pubmed publisher..Overall therefore this mass spectrometry and homology modeling approach has given significant insight into the structure of two previously intractable protein complexes and as such has broad application in structural biology. ..
- Funakoshi M, Tomko R, Kobayashi H, Hochstrasser M. Multiple assembly chaperones govern biogenesis of the proteasome regulatory particle base. Cell. 2009;137:887-99 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that proteasomal RP biogenesis requires multiple, functionally overlapping chaperones and suggest a model in which subunits form specific subcomplexes that then assemble into the base. ..
- Tomko R, Taylor D, Chen Z, Wang H, Rappsilber J, Hochstrasser M. A Single Î± Helix Drives Extensive Remodeling of the Proteasome Lid and Completion of Regulatory Particle Assembly. Cell. 2015;163:432-44 pubmed publisher..Such assembly-coupled conformational switching is reminiscent of viral particle maturation and may represent a commonly used mechanism to enforce hierarchical assembly in multisubunit complexes. ..
- Laribee R, Krogan N, Xiao T, Shibata Y, Hughes T, Greenblatt J, et al. BUR kinase selectively regulates H3 K4 trimethylation and H2B ubiquitylation through recruitment of the PAF elongation complex. Curr Biol. 2005;15:1487-93 pubmed..Our data reveal a novel function for the BUR kinase in transcriptional regulation through the selective control of histone modifications. ..
- Dziembowski A, Malewicz M, Minczuk M, Golik P, Dmochowska A, Stepien P. The yeast nuclear gene DSS1, which codes for a putative RNase II, is necessary for the function of the mitochondrial degradosome in processing and turnover of RNA. Mol Gen Genet. 1998;260:108-14 pubmedThe yeast nuclear gene DSS1 codes for a mitochondrial protein containing regions of homology to bacterial RNase II and can act as a multicopy suppressor of a deletion of the SUV3 gene, which encodes an RNA helicase...
- Libuda D, Winston F. Alterations in DNA replication and histone levels promote histone gene amplification in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2010;184:985-97 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest that either reduced histone levels or slowed replication forks stimulate the HTA2-HTB2 amplification event, contributing to the restoration of normal chromatin structure. ..
- Saeki Y, Toh e A, Kudo T, Kawamura H, Tanaka K. Multiple proteasome-interacting proteins assist the assembly of the yeast 19S regulatory particle. Cell. 2009;137:900-13 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the RP assembly is a highly organized and elaborate process orchestrated by multiple proteasome-dedicated chaperones. ..
- Concannon C, Lahue R. Nucleotide excision repair and the 26S proteasome function together to promote trinucleotide repeat expansions. DNA Repair (Amst). 2014;13:42-9 pubmed publisher..This work provides the first evidence that both subpathways of NER can promote threshold-length TNR expansions and that NER interacts with the proteasome to drive expansions. ..
- Aibara S, Bai X, Stewart M. The Sac3 TPR-like region in the Saccharomyces cerevisiae TREX-2 complex is more extensive but independent of the CID region. J Struct Biol. 2016;195:316-324 pubmed publisher..The TREX-2 complex is based on a Sac3 scaffold to which Thp1, Sem1, Cdc31, and Sus1 bind...
- Concannon C, Lahue R. The 26S proteasome drives trinucleotide repeat expansions. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013;41:6098-108 pubmed publisher..This study reports that the multi-functional protein Sem1 is a novel driver of TNR expansions in budding yeast. Mutants of SEM1 suppress up to 90% of expansions...
- Cortajarena A, Liu T, Hochstrasser M, Regan L. Designed proteins to modulate cellular networks. ACS Chem Biol. 2010;5:545-52 pubmed publisher..Using this approach, we identified modules that bind tightly and specifically to Dss1, a small human protein that interacts with the tumor suppressor protein BRCA2...