Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SEC8
Description: exocyst subunit SEC8
Alias: exocyst subunit SEC8
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Guo W, Roth D, Walch Solimena C, Novick P. The exocyst is an effector for Sec4p, targeting secretory vesicles to sites of exocytosis. EMBO J. 1999;18:1071-80 pubmed..Sec4p may control the assembly of the exocyst. The exocyst may therefore function as a rab effector system for targeted secretion. ..
- Hutagalung A, Coleman J, Pypaert M, Novick P. An internal domain of Exo70p is required for actin-independent localization and mediates assembly of specific exocyst components. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:153-63 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that either Exo70p or Sec3p must associate with the plasma membrane for the exocyst to function as a vesicle tether. ..
- Toikkanen J, Miller K, Söderlund H, Jantti J, Keränen S. The beta subunit of the Sec61p endoplasmic reticulum translocon interacts with the exocyst complex in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:20946-53 pubmed..These findings propose a novel functional and physical link between the endoplasmic reticulum translocation complex and the exocyst. ..
- Terbush D, Maurice T, Roth D, Novick P. The Exocyst is a multiprotein complex required for exocytosis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. EMBO J. 1996;15:6483-94 pubmed..Previously, we have shown that three of these genes, SEC6, SEC8 and SEC15, encode components of a multisubunit complex which localizes to the tip of the bud, the predominant site ..
- Wiederkehr A, De Craene J, Ferro Novick S, Novick P. Functional specialization within a vesicle tethering complex: bypass of a subset of exocyst deletion mutants by Sec1p or Sec4p. J Cell Biol. 2004;167:875-87 pubmed..Furthermore, a fraction of Sec1p can be coprecipitated with the exoycst. Our results suggest that Sec1p couples exocyst-mediated vesicle tethering with SNARE-mediated docking and fusion. ..
- Terbush D, Novick P. Sec6, Sec8, and Sec15 are components of a multisubunit complex which localizes to small bud tips in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Cell Biol. 1995;130:299-312 pubmed..Two of these genes, SEC8 and SEC15, encode components of a 1-2-million D multi-subunit complex that is found in the cytoplasm and associated ..
- Grosshans B, Andreeva A, Gangar A, Niessen S, Yates J, Brennwald P, et al. The yeast lgl family member Sro7p is an effector of the secretory Rab GTPase Sec4p. J Cell Biol. 2006;172:55-66 pubmed..Genetic data support our conclusion that Sro7p functions downstream of Sec4p and further imply that Sro7p and the exocyst share partially overlapping functions, possibly in SNARE regulation. ..
- Roth D, Guo W, Novick P. Dominant negative alleles of SEC10 reveal distinct domains involved in secretion and morphogenesis in yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 1998;9:1725-39 pubmed
- Shen D, Yuan H, Hutagalung A, Verma A, Kümmel D, Wu X, et al. The synaptobrevin homologue Snc2p recruits the exocyst to secretory vesicles by binding to Sec6p. J Cell Biol. 2013;202:509-26 pubmed publisher..We propose that the exocyst is recruited to secretory vesicles by the combinatorial signals of Sec4-GTP and the Snc proteins. This could help to confer both specificity and directionality to vesicular traffic. ..
- Zajac A, Sun X, Zhang J, Guo W. Cyclical regulation of the exocyst and cell polarity determinants for polarized cell growth. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:1500-12 pubmed..We propose that a cyclical regulatory network contributes to the establishment and maintenance of polarized cell growth in yeast. ..
- Dong G, Hutagalung A, Fu C, Novick P, Reinisch K. The structures of exocyst subunit Exo70p and the Exo84p C-terminal domains reveal a common motif. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2005;12:1094-100 pubmed
- Finger F, Novick P. Synthetic interactions of the post-Golgi sec mutations of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2000;156:943-51 pubmed..The significance of these results is discussed in the context of both secretory pathway function and the utility of synthetic lethality studies and their interpretation. ..
- Guo W, Grant A, Novick P. Exo84p is an exocyst protein essential for secretion. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:23558-64 pubmed..cerevisiae. Exo84p is mislocalized in a sec5 mutant. These studies suggest that Exo84p is an essential protein that plays an important role in polarized secretion. ..
- Lehman K, Rossi G, Adamo J, Brennwald P. Yeast homologues of tomosyn and lethal giant larvae function in exocytosis and are associated with the plasma membrane SNARE, Sec9. J Cell Biol. 1999;146:125-40 pubmed..Taken together, our studies suggest that members of the lethal giant larvae/tomosyn/Sro7 family play an important role in polarized exocytosis by regulating SNARE function on the plasma membrane. ..
- Ayscough K, Stryker J, Pokala N, Sanders M, Crews P, Drubin D. High rates of actin filament turnover in budding yeast and roles for actin in establishment and maintenance of cell polarity revealed using the actin inhibitor latrunculin-A. J Cell Biol. 1997;137:399-416 pubmed..Finally, transient actin depolymerization caused many cells to abandon one bud site or mating projection and to initiate growth at a second site. Thus, actin filaments are also required for maintenance of an axis of cell polarity. ..
- Adamo J, Moskow J, Gladfelter A, Viterbo D, Lew D, Brennwald P. Yeast Cdc42 functions at a late step in exocytosis, specifically during polarized growth of the emerging bud. J Cell Biol. 2001;155:581-92 pubmed..Rather, we suggest that Cdc42 acts as an allosteric regulator of the vesicle docking and fusion apparatus to provide maximal function at sites of polarized growth. ..
- Govindan B, Bowser R, Novick P. The role of Myo2, a yeast class V myosin, in vesicular transport. J Cell Biol. 1995;128:1055-68 pubmed..Our observations are consistent with a role for Myo2 in transporting a class of secretory vesicles from the mother cell along actin cables into the bud. ..
- Nair J, Muller H, Peterson M, Novick P. Sec2 protein contains a coiled-coil domain essential for vesicular transport and a dispensable carboxy terminal domain. J Cell Biol. 1990;110:1897-909 pubmed..The Sec2 protein may function in conjunction with the Sec4 and Sec15 proteins to control vesicular traffic. ..
- Zhang X, Zajac A, Zhang J, Wang P, Li M, Murray J, et al. The critical role of Exo84p in the organization and polarized localization of the exocyst complex. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:20356-64 pubmed..Exo84p plays a critical role in both the assembly of the exocyst and its targeting to sites of secretion. ..
- Bowser R, Muller H, Govindan B, Novick P. Sec8p and Sec15p are components of a plasma membrane-associated 19.5S particle that may function downstream of Sec4p to control exocytosis. J Cell Biol. 1992;118:1041-56 pubmedThe SEC8 and SEC15 genes are essential for exocytosis in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae and exhibit strong genetic interactions with SEC4, a gene of the ras superfamily...
- Finger F, Novick P. Sec3p is involved in secretion and morphogenesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 1997;8:647-62 pubmed..The SEC3 gene in high copy suppresses pfy1-111 and sec5-24 and causes synthetic growth defects with ypt1, sec8-9, sec10-2, and sec15-1...
- Wadskog I, Forsmark A, Rossi G, Konopka C, Oyen M, Goksör M, et al. The yeast tumor suppressor homologue Sro7p is required for targeting of the sodium pumping ATPase to the cell surface. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:4988-5003 pubmed..We propose a model in which blocked exocytic sorting in sro7Delta mutants, gives rise to quality control-mediated routing of Ena1p to the vacuole. ..
- France Y, Boyd C, Coleman J, Novick P. The polarity-establishment component Bem1p interacts with the exocyst complex through the Sec15p subunit. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:876-88 pubmed..This, in turn, helps to coordinate the secretory pathway and polarized bud growth. ..
- Rossi G, Brennwald P. Yeast homologues of lethal giant larvae and type V myosin cooperate in the regulation of Rab-dependent vesicle clustering and polarized exocytosis. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:842-57 pubmed publisher..Thus Sro7 appears to coordinate the spatial and temporal nature of both Rab-dependent tethering and SNARE-dependent membrane fusion of exocytic vesicles with the plasma membrane. ..
- Alfaro G, Johansen J, Dighe S, Duamel G, Kozminski K, Beh C. The sterol-binding protein Kes1/Osh4p is a regulator of polarized exocytosis. Traffic. 2011;12:1521-36 pubmed publisher..These results support a model in which Osh4p acts as a sterol-dependent regulator of polarized vesicle transport, as opposed to being a sterol-transfer protein. ..
- Potenza M, Bowser R, Muller H, Novick P. SEC6 encodes an 85 kDa soluble protein required for exocytosis in yeast. Yeast. 1992;8:549-58 pubmed..Overproduction of Sec6p does not suppress any of the other late-acting sec mutants, yet sec6-4 does display synthetic lethality with sec8-9, suggesting that the two gene products may fulfill inter-related functions.
- Castillo Flores A, Weinberger A, Robinson M, Gerst J. Mso1 is a novel component of the yeast exocytic SNARE complex. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:34033-41 pubmed..These results suggest that Mso1 is a component of the exocytic SNARE complex and a possible ortholog of the Munc13/Mint proteins. ..
- Walch Solimena C, Novick P. The yeast phosphatidylinositol-4-OH kinase pik1 regulates secretion at the Golgi. Nat Cell Biol. 1999;1:523-5 pubmed
- Damer C, Creutz C. Synaptotagmin II expression partially rescues the growth defect of the yeast sec15 secretory mutant. Biol Cell. 1996;88:55-63 pubmed..No suppression was observed when synaptotagmin II was expressed in sec1, sec2, sec4, sec5, sec6, sec8, sec9, sec14, sec17, or sec18...
- Moya M, Roberts D, Novick P. DSS4-1 is a dominant suppressor of sec4-8 that encodes a nucleotide exchange protein that aids Sec4p function. Nature. 1993;361:460-3 pubmed..We report here the use of suppressor analysis to clone a gene, dss4, encoding a 17K protein that aids Sec4p action in vivo by functioning as a GDP dissociation stimulator. ..
- Terbush D, Guo W, Dunkelbarger S, Novick P. Purification and characterization of yeast exocyst complex. Methods Enzymol. 2001;329:100-10 pubmed
- Dubuke M, Maniatis S, Shaffer S, Munson M. The Exocyst Subunit Sec6 Interacts with Assembled Exocytic SNARE Complexes. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:28245-56 pubmed publisher..Together, these results suggest a new model in which Sec6 promotes SNARE complex assembly, similar to the role proposed for other tether subunit-SNARE interactions. ..
- Jantti J, Lahdenranta J, Olkkonen V, Soderlund H, Keranen S. SEM1, a homologue of the split hand/split foot malformation candidate gene Dss1, regulates exocytosis and pseudohyphal differentiation in yeast. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:909-14 pubmed..Here we describe a gene, SEM1, that can multicopy-suppress exocyst mutants sec3-2, sec8-9, sec10-2, and sec15-1. SEM1 is highly conserved among eukaryotic species...
- Liu D, Novick P. Bem1p contributes to secretory pathway polarization through a direct interaction with Exo70p. J Cell Biol. 2014;207:59-72 pubmed publisher..Similar to Sec3p, the actin-independent localization of Exo70p requires a synergistic interaction with the phosphoinositide PI(4,5)P2. ..
- Aalto M, Jantti J, Ostling J, Keranen S, Ronne H. Mso1p: a yeast protein that functions in secretion and interacts physically and genetically with Sec1p. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:7331-6 pubmed..These findings suggest that Mso1p is a component of the secretory vesicle docking complex whose function is closely associated with that of Sec1p. ..
- Luo G, Zhang J, Guo W. The role of Sec3p in secretory vesicle targeting and exocyst complex assembly. Mol Biol Cell. 2014;25:3813-22 pubmed publisher..Our study helps to establish the role of the exocyst subunits in tethering and allows the investigation of the mechanisms that regulate vesicle tethering during exocytosis. ..
- Andersen N, Yeaman C. Sec3-containing exocyst complex is required for desmosome assembly in mammalian epithelial cells. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:152-64 pubmed publisher..Sec3 is dependent on cadherin-mediated adhesion but occurs later than that of the known Exocyst components Sec6 and Sec8 that are recruited to adherens junctions...
- Jin Y, Sultana A, Gandhi P, Franklin E, Hamamoto S, Khan A, et al. Myosin V transports secretory vesicles via a Rab GTPase cascade and interaction with the exocyst complex. Dev Cell. 2011;21:1156-70 pubmed publisher..Moreover, these studies predict that for many pathways, molecular motors attach to vesicles prior to their formation and remain attached until fusion...
- Stalder D, Novick P. The casein kinases Yck1p and Yck2p act in the secretory pathway, in part, by regulating the Rab exchange factor Sec2p. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:686-701 pubmed publisher..This promotes Sec2p function by stimulating its interaction with Sec15p. Finally, Sec2p is dephosphorylated very late in the exocytic reaction to facilitate recycling. ..
- Cleves A, Novick P, Bankaitis V. Mutations in the SAC1 gene suppress defects in yeast Golgi and yeast actin function. J Cell Biol. 1989;109:2939-50 pubmed..On this basis, we suggest that SAC1p may represent one aspect of the mechanism whereby secretory and cytoskeletal activities are coordinated, so that proper spatial regulation of secretion might be achieved. ..
- Novick P, Ferro S, Schekman R. Order of events in the yeast secretory pathway. Cell. 1981;25:461-9 pubmed
- Yakir Tamang L, Gerst J. A phosphatidylinositol-transfer protein and phosphatidylinositol-4-phosphate 5-kinase control Cdc42 to regulate the actin cytoskeleton and secretory pathway in yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:3583-97 pubmed publisher..Based upon these findings, we propose that the exocytic signal involves PI delivery to the PI kinases (i.e., Mss4) by Sfh5, generation of PI(4,5)P(2), and PI(4,5)P(2)-dependent regulation of Cdc42 and the actin cytoskeleton. ..
- Lillie S, Brown S. Smy1p, a kinesin-related protein that does not require microtubules. J Cell Biol. 1998;140:873-83 pubmed..We conclude that Smy1p does not act as a microtubule-based motor to localize properly or to compensate for defective Myo2p, but that it must instead act in some novel way. ..
- Medkova M, France Y, Coleman J, Novick P. The rab exchange factor Sec2p reversibly associates with the exocyst. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:2757-69 pubmed..The mislocalization of Sec2p mutants results from a failure to be released from Sec15p, blocking this recycling pathway. ..
- Reinke C, Kozik P, Glick B. Golgi inheritance in small buds of Saccharomyces cerevisiae is linked to endoplasmic reticulum inheritance. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:18018-23 pubmed..This basic mechanism of Golgi inheritance may be conserved from yeast to vertebrate cells. ..