Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SEC5
Description: exocyst subunit SEC5
Alias: exocyst subunit SEC5
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Zhang X, Zajac A, Zhang J, Wang P, Li M, Murray J, et al. The critical role of Exo84p in the organization and polarized localization of the exocyst complex. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:20356-64 pubmed..Exo84p plays a critical role in both the assembly of the exocyst and its targeting to sites of secretion. ..
- Kozminski K, Alfaro G, Dighe S, Beh C. Homologues of oxysterol-binding proteins affect Cdc42p- and Rho1p-mediated cell polarization in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Traffic. 2006;7:1224-42 pubmed..Disruption of all OSH gene function caused specific defects in polarized exocytosis, indicating that the Osh proteins are collectively required for a secretory pathway implicated in the maintenance of polarized growth. ..
- Guo W, Roth D, Walch Solimena C, Novick P. The exocyst is an effector for Sec4p, targeting secretory vesicles to sites of exocytosis. EMBO J. 1999;18:1071-80 pubmed..Sec4p may control the assembly of the exocyst. The exocyst may therefore function as a rab effector system for targeted secretion. ..
- Guo W, Grant A, Novick P. Exo84p is an exocyst protein essential for secretion. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:23558-64 pubmed..Overexpression of Exo84p selectively suppresses the temperature sensitivity of a sec5 mutant...
- Finger F, Novick P. Spatial regulation of exocytosis: lessons from yeast. J Cell Biol. 1998;142:609-12 pubmed
- Luo G, Zhang J, Luca F, Guo W. Mitotic phosphorylation of Exo84 disrupts exocyst assembly and arrests cell growth. J Cell Biol. 2013;202:97-111 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates the coordination between membrane trafficking and cell cycle progression and provides a molecular mechanism by which cell growth is controlled during the cell division cycle. ..
- Guo W, Tamanoi F, Novick P. Spatial regulation of the exocyst complex by Rho1 GTPase. Nat Cell Biol. 2001;3:353-60 pubmed..These results reveal the action of parallel pathways for the polarized localization of the exocytic machinery, both of which are under the control of Rho1, a master regulator of cell polarity. ..
- Toikkanen J, Miller K, Söderlund H, Jantti J, Keränen S. The beta subunit of the Sec61p endoplasmic reticulum translocon interacts with the exocyst complex in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:20946-53 pubmed..These findings propose a novel functional and physical link between the endoplasmic reticulum translocation complex and the exocyst. ..
- Novick P, Field C, Schekman R. Identification of 23 complementation groups required for post-translational events in the yeast secretory pathway. Cell. 1980;21:205-15 pubmed..We suggest that these structures represent intermediates in a pathway in which secretion and plasma membrane assembly are colinear. ..
- Finger F, Novick P. Synthetic interactions of the post-Golgi sec mutations of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2000;156:943-51 pubmed..The significance of these results is discussed in the context of both secretory pathway function and the utility of synthetic lethality studies and their interpretation. ..
- Wu H, Turner C, Gardner J, Temple B, Brennwald P. The Exo70 subunit of the exocyst is an effector for both Cdc42 and Rho3 function in polarized exocytosis. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:430-42 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that interaction with the Exo70 component of the exocyst is a key event in spatial regulation of exocytosis by Rho GTPases. ..
- Govindan B, Bowser R, Novick P. The role of Myo2, a yeast class V myosin, in vesicular transport. J Cell Biol. 1995;128:1055-68 pubmed..Our observations are consistent with a role for Myo2 in transporting a class of secretory vesicles from the mother cell along actin cables into the bud. ..
- Zhang X, Wang P, Gangar A, Zhang J, Brennwald P, TerBush D, et al. Lethal giant larvae proteins interact with the exocyst complex and are involved in polarized exocytosis. J Cell Biol. 2005;170:273-83 pubmed..We propose that, although Lgl is broadly distributed in the cells, its localized interaction with the exocyst and kinetic activation are important for the establishment and reenforcement of cell polarity. ..
- Nair J, Muller H, Peterson M, Novick P. Sec2 protein contains a coiled-coil domain essential for vesicular transport and a dispensable carboxy terminal domain. J Cell Biol. 1990;110:1897-909 pubmed..The Sec2 protein may function in conjunction with the Sec4 and Sec15 proteins to control vesicular traffic. ..
- Walch Solimena C, Novick P. The yeast phosphatidylinositol-4-OH kinase pik1 regulates secretion at the Golgi. Nat Cell Biol. 1999;1:523-5 pubmed
- Aalto M, Jantti J, Ostling J, Keranen S, Ronne H. Mso1p: a yeast protein that functions in secretion and interacts physically and genetically with Sec1p. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:7331-6 pubmed..These findings suggest that Mso1p is a component of the secretory vesicle docking complex whose function is closely associated with that of Sec1p. ..
- Jin Y, Sultana A, Gandhi P, Franklin E, Hamamoto S, Khan A, et al. Myosin V transports secretory vesicles via a Rab GTPase cascade and interaction with the exocyst complex. Dev Cell. 2011;21:1156-70 pubmed publisher..Moreover, these studies predict that for many pathways, molecular motors attach to vesicles prior to their formation and remain attached until fusion...
- Grosshans B, Andreeva A, Gangar A, Niessen S, Yates J, Brennwald P, et al. The yeast lgl family member Sro7p is an effector of the secretory Rab GTPase Sec4p. J Cell Biol. 2006;172:55-66 pubmed..Genetic data support our conclusion that Sro7p functions downstream of Sec4p and further imply that Sro7p and the exocyst share partially overlapping functions, possibly in SNARE regulation. ..
- Orlando K, Sun X, Zhang J, Lu T, Yokomizo L, Wang P, et al. Exo-endocytic trafficking and the septin-based diffusion barrier are required for the maintenance of Cdc42p polarization during budding yeast asymmetric growth. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:624-33 pubmed publisher..Collectively, membrane trafficking and septins function synergistically to maintain the dynamic polarization of Cdc42p during asymmetric growth in yeast. ..
- Liu D, Novick P. Bem1p contributes to secretory pathway polarization through a direct interaction with Exo70p. J Cell Biol. 2014;207:59-72 pubmed publisher..Similar to Sec3p, the actin-independent localization of Exo70p requires a synergistic interaction with the phosphoinositide PI(4,5)P2. ..
- Tomeo M, Palermo L, Tove S, Parks L. A conditional sterol esterification defect in yeast having either a sec1 or sec5 mutation in the secretory pathway. Yeast. 1997;13:449-62 pubmedTwo temperature-conditional secretory mutations, sec1 and sec5, cause the accumulation of post-Golgi vesicles when strains containing these mutations are grown at 37 degrees C...
- Medkova M, France Y, Coleman J, Novick P. The rab exchange factor Sec2p reversibly associates with the exocyst. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:2757-69 pubmed..The mislocalization of Sec2p mutants results from a failure to be released from Sec15p, blocking this recycling pathway. ..
- Aalto M, Ronne H, Keranen S. Yeast syntaxins Sso1p and Sso2p belong to a family of related membrane proteins that function in vesicular transport. EMBO J. 1993;12:4095-104 pubmed..copy number can suppress sec1 mutations and also mutations in several other late acting SEC genes, such as SEC3, SEC5, SEC9 and SEC15...
- Terbush D, Guo W, Dunkelbarger S, Novick P. Purification and characterization of yeast exocyst complex. Methods Enzymol. 2001;329:100-10 pubmed
- Luo G, Zhang J, Guo W. The role of Sec3p in secretory vesicle targeting and exocyst complex assembly. Mol Biol Cell. 2014;25:3813-22 pubmed publisher..Our study helps to establish the role of the exocyst subunits in tethering and allows the investigation of the mechanisms that regulate vesicle tethering during exocytosis. ..
- France Y, Boyd C, Coleman J, Novick P. The polarity-establishment component Bem1p interacts with the exocyst complex through the Sec15p subunit. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:876-88 pubmed..This, in turn, helps to coordinate the secretory pathway and polarized bud growth. ..
- Songer J, Munson M. Sec6p anchors the assembled exocyst complex at sites of secretion. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:973-82 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that assembly and polarization of the exocyst are functionally separable events, and that Sec6p is required to anchor exocyst complexes at sites of secretion. ..
- Novick P, Ferro S, Schekman R. Order of events in the yeast secretory pathway. Cell. 1981;25:461-9 pubmed
- Stalder D, Novick P. The casein kinases Yck1p and Yck2p act in the secretory pathway, in part, by regulating the Rab exchange factor Sec2p. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:686-701 pubmed publisher..This promotes Sec2p function by stimulating its interaction with Sec15p. Finally, Sec2p is dephosphorylated very late in the exocytic reaction to facilitate recycling. ..
- Lillie S, Brown S. Smy1p, a kinesin-related protein that does not require microtubules. J Cell Biol. 1998;140:873-83 pubmed..We conclude that Smy1p does not act as a microtubule-based motor to localize properly or to compensate for defective Myo2p, but that it must instead act in some novel way. ..