Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SEC3
Description: GTP-Rho binding exocyst subunit SEC3
Alias: PSL1, GTP-Rho binding exocyst subunit SEC3
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Wiederkehr A, De Craene J, Ferro Novick S, Novick P. Functional specialization within a vesicle tethering complex: bypass of a subset of exocyst deletion mutants by Sec1p or Sec4p. J Cell Biol. 2004;167:875-87 pubmed..Unlike the other five exocyst genes, SEC3, SEC5, and EXO70 are not essential for growth or secretion when either the upstream activator rab, Sec4p, or the ..
- Toikkanen J, Miller K, Söderlund H, Jantti J, Keränen S. The beta subunit of the Sec61p endoplasmic reticulum translocon interacts with the exocyst complex in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:20946-53 pubmed..These findings propose a novel functional and physical link between the endoplasmic reticulum translocation complex and the exocyst. ..
- Terbush D, Maurice T, Roth D, Novick P. The Exocyst is a multiprotein complex required for exocytosis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. EMBO J. 1996;15:6483-94 pubmed..cerevisiae. Mutations in three more of these genes, SEC3, SEC5 and SEC10, were found to disrupt the subunit integrity of the Sec6-Sec8-Sec15 complex, indicating that these ..
- Guo W, Roth D, Walch Solimena C, Novick P. The exocyst is an effector for Sec4p, targeting secretory vesicles to sites of exocytosis. EMBO J. 1999;18:1071-80 pubmed..Sec4p may control the assembly of the exocyst. The exocyst may therefore function as a rab effector system for targeted secretion. ..
- France Y, Boyd C, Coleman J, Novick P. The polarity-establishment component Bem1p interacts with the exocyst complex through the Sec15p subunit. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:876-88 pubmed..This, in turn, helps to coordinate the secretory pathway and polarized bud growth. ..
- Wiederkehr A, Du Y, Pypaert M, Ferro Novick S, Novick P. Sec3p is needed for the spatial regulation of secretion and for the inheritance of the cortical endoplasmic reticulum. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:4770-82 pubmed..Unlike all other exocyst structural genes, SEC3 is not essential for growth...
- Zhang X, Zajac A, Zhang J, Wang P, Li M, Murray J, et al. The critical role of Exo84p in the organization and polarized localization of the exocyst complex. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:20356-64 pubmed..Exo84p plays a critical role in both the assembly of the exocyst and its targeting to sites of secretion. ..
- Du Y, Walker L, Novick P, Ferro Novick S. Ptc1p regulates cortical ER inheritance via Slt2p. EMBO J. 2006;25:4413-22 pubmed..Our findings indicate that Ptc1p and Nbp2p regulate ER inheritance through the CWI MAPK pathway by modulating the MAPK, Slt2p. ..
- Boyd C, Hughes T, Pypaert M, Novick P. Vesicles carry most exocyst subunits to exocytic sites marked by the remaining two subunits, Sec3p and Exo70p. J Cell Biol. 2004;167:889-901 pubmed..Assembly of the exocyst occurs when the first subset of subunits, delivered on vesicles, joins Sec3p and Exo70p on the plasma membrane. Exocyst assembly serves to both target and tether vesicles to sites of exocytosis. ..
- Novick P, Field C, Schekman R. Identification of 23 complementation groups required for post-translational events in the yeast secretory pathway. Cell. 1980;21:205-15 pubmed..We suggest that these structures represent intermediates in a pathway in which secretion and plasma membrane assembly are colinear. ..
- Baek K, Knödler A, Lee S, Zhang X, Orlando K, Zhang J, et al. Structure-function study of the N-terminal domain of exocyst subunit Sec3. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:10424-33 pubmed publisher..The Sec3 subunit of the exocyst acts as a spatial landmark for exocytosis through its ability to bind phospholipids and ..
- Wu H, Brennwald P. The function of two Rho family GTPases is determined by distinct patterns of cell surface localization. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:5207-17 pubmed publisher..basic residues distal to the palmitoylation site are required for regulating binding affinity with the Exo70 and Sec3 effectors...
- Shen D, Yuan H, Hutagalung A, Verma A, Kümmel D, Wu X, et al. The synaptobrevin homologue Snc2p recruits the exocyst to secretory vesicles by binding to Sec6p. J Cell Biol. 2013;202:509-26 pubmed publisher..We propose that the exocyst is recruited to secretory vesicles by the combinatorial signals of Sec4-GTP and the Snc proteins. This could help to confer both specificity and directionality to vesicular traffic. ..
- Adamo J, Moskow J, Gladfelter A, Viterbo D, Lew D, Brennwald P. Yeast Cdc42 functions at a late step in exocytosis, specifically during polarized growth of the emerging bud. J Cell Biol. 2001;155:581-92 pubmed..Rather, we suggest that Cdc42 acts as an allosteric regulator of the vesicle docking and fusion apparatus to provide maximal function at sites of polarized growth. ..
- Finger F, Novick P. Synthetic interactions of the post-Golgi sec mutations of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2000;156:943-51 pubmed..The significance of these results is discussed in the context of both secretory pathway function and the utility of synthetic lethality studies and their interpretation. ..
- Roth D, Guo W, Novick P. Dominant negative alleles of SEC10 reveal distinct domains involved in secretion and morphogenesis in yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 1998;9:1725-39 pubmed
- Finger F, Novick P. Spatial regulation of exocytosis: lessons from yeast. J Cell Biol. 1998;142:609-12 pubmed
- Elbert M, Rossi G, Brennwald P. The yeast par-1 homologs kin1 and kin2 show genetic and physical interactions with components of the exocytic machinery. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:532-49 pubmed..In summary, we report the finding that yeast Par-1 counterparts are associated with and regulate the function of the exocytic apparatus via phosphorylation of Sec9. ..
- Finger F, Novick P. Sec3p is involved in secretion and morphogenesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 1997;8:647-62 pubmedTwo new temperature-sensitive alleles of SEC3, 1 of 10 late-acting SEC genes required for targeting or fusion of post-Golgi secretory vesicles to the plasma membrane in Saccharomyces cerevisiae, were isolated in a screen for temperature-..
- Finger F, Hughes T, Novick P. Sec3p is a spatial landmark for polarized secretion in budding yeast. Cell. 1998;92:559-71 pubmed..A functional fusion of Sec3 protein with green fluorescent protein (Sec3-GFP) localizes to the site of polarized exocytosis for each cell-cycle ..
- Grosshans B, Andreeva A, Gangar A, Niessen S, Yates J, Brennwald P, et al. The yeast lgl family member Sro7p is an effector of the secretory Rab GTPase Sec4p. J Cell Biol. 2006;172:55-66 pubmed..Genetic data support our conclusion that Sro7p functions downstream of Sec4p and further imply that Sro7p and the exocyst share partially overlapping functions, possibly in SNARE regulation. ..
- Lehman K, Rossi G, Adamo J, Brennwald P. Yeast homologues of tomosyn and lethal giant larvae function in exocytosis and are associated with the plasma membrane SNARE, Sec9. J Cell Biol. 1999;146:125-40 pubmed..Taken together, our studies suggest that members of the lethal giant larvae/tomosyn/Sro7 family play an important role in polarized exocytosis by regulating SNARE function on the plasma membrane. ..
- Gelin Licht R, Paliwal S, Conlon P, Levchenko A, Gerst J. Scp160-dependent mRNA trafficking mediates pheromone gradient sensing and chemotropism in yeast. Cell Rep. 2012;1:483-94 pubmed publisher..This is, to our knowledge, the first demonstration of ligand-activated RNA targeting in the development of a simple eukaryote. ..
- Stalder D, Novick P. The casein kinases Yck1p and Yck2p act in the secretory pathway, in part, by regulating the Rab exchange factor Sec2p. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:686-701 pubmed publisher..This promotes Sec2p function by stimulating its interaction with Sec15p. Finally, Sec2p is dephosphorylated very late in the exocytic reaction to facilitate recycling. ..
- Braunwarth A, Fromont Racine M, Legrain P, Bischoff F, Gerstberger T, Hurt E, et al. Identification and characterization of a novel RanGTP-binding protein in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:15397-405 pubmed..Based on these results and the exclusive conservation of the protein in the fungal kingdom, we hypothesize that Yrb30p represents a novel modulator of the Ran GTPase switch related to fungal lifestyle. ..
- Yakir Tamang L, Gerst J. A phosphatidylinositol-transfer protein and phosphatidylinositol-4-phosphate 5-kinase control Cdc42 to regulate the actin cytoskeleton and secretory pathway in yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:3583-97 pubmed publisher..most notably in sec3Delta cells, indicating that Cdc42-mediated effects upon actin and secretion do not necessitate Sec3 function...
- Yamashita M, Kurokawa K, Sato Y, Yamagata A, Mimura H, Yoshikawa A, et al. Structural basis for the Rho- and phosphoinositide-dependent localization of the exocyst subunit Sec3. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2010;17:180-6 pubmed publisher..The yeast exocyst subunit Sec3 binds to phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate (PtdIns(4,5)P(2)) and the small GTPases Rho1 and Cdc42 via its N-..
- Aronov S, Gelin Licht R, Zipor G, Haim L, Safran E, Gerst J. mRNAs encoding polarity and exocytosis factors are cotransported with the cortical endoplasmic reticulum to the incipient bud in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:3441-55 pubmed..Bud-localized mRNAs, including ASH1, were found to cofractionate with ER microsomes in a She2- and Sec3-dependent manner; thus, asymmetric mRNA transport and cortical ER inheritance are connected processes in yeast.
- Jantti J, Lahdenranta J, Olkkonen V, Soderlund H, Keranen S. SEM1, a homologue of the split hand/split foot malformation candidate gene Dss1, regulates exocytosis and pseudohyphal differentiation in yeast. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:909-14 pubmed..Here we describe a gene, SEM1, that can multicopy-suppress exocyst mutants sec3-2, sec8-9, sec10-2, and sec15-1. SEM1 is highly conserved among eukaryotic species...
- Walch Solimena C, Novick P. The yeast phosphatidylinositol-4-OH kinase pik1 regulates secretion at the Golgi. Nat Cell Biol. 1999;1:523-5 pubmed
- Li X, Ferro Novick S, Novick P. Different polarisome components play distinct roles in Slt2p-regulated cortical ER inheritance in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2013;24:3145-54 pubmed publisher..Our results point to a common mechanism for the regulation of ER inheritance in which Slt2p activity at the bud tip controls the association of the ER with the actin-based cytoskeleton...
- Aalto M, Jantti J, Ostling J, Keranen S, Ronne H. Mso1p: a yeast protein that functions in secretion and interacts physically and genetically with Sec1p. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:7331-6 pubmed..These findings suggest that Mso1p is a component of the secretory vesicle docking complex whose function is closely associated with that of Sec1p. ..
- Jin Y, Sultana A, Gandhi P, Franklin E, Hamamoto S, Khan A, et al. Myosin V transports secretory vesicles via a Rab GTPase cascade and interaction with the exocyst complex. Dev Cell. 2011;21:1156-70 pubmed publisher..Moreover, these studies predict that for many pathways, molecular motors attach to vesicles prior to their formation and remain attached until fusion...
- Gao X, Albert S, Tcheperegine S, Burd C, Gallwitz D, Bi E. The GAP activity of Msb3p and Msb4p for the Rab GTPase Sec4p is required for efficient exocytosis and actin organization. J Cell Biol. 2003;162:635-46 pubmed..Using a strain defective in polarized secretion and actin-patch organization, we showed that a change in actin-patch organization could be a consequence of the fusion of mistargeted vesicles with the plasma membrane. ..
- Dubuke M, Maniatis S, Shaffer S, Munson M. The Exocyst Subunit Sec6 Interacts with Assembled Exocytic SNARE Complexes. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:28245-56 pubmed publisher..Together, these results suggest a new model in which Sec6 promotes SNARE complex assembly, similar to the role proposed for other tether subunit-SNARE interactions. ..
- Pleskot R, Cwiklik L, Jungwirth P, Å½Ã¡rskÃ½ V, PotockÃ½ M. Membrane targeting of the yeast exocyst complex. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015;1848:1481-9 pubmed publisher..is composed of eight subunits - Sec5, Sec6, Sec8, Sec10, Sec15, Exo84 and two membrane-targeting landmark subunits Sec3 and Exo70, which have been described to directly interact with phosphatidylinositol (4,5)-bisphosphate (PIP2) of ..
- Luo G, Zhang J, Guo W. The role of Sec3p in secretory vesicle targeting and exocyst complex assembly. Mol Biol Cell. 2014;25:3813-22 pubmed publisher..Our study helps to establish the role of the exocyst subunits in tethering and allows the investigation of the mechanisms that regulate vesicle tethering during exocytosis. ..
- Kono K, Saeki Y, Yoshida S, Tanaka K, Pellman D. Proteasomal degradation resolves competition between cell polarization and cellular wound healing. Cell. 2012;150:151-64 pubmed publisher..a protein-kinase-C-dependent mechanism that mediates the destruction of the formin Bni1 and the exocyst component Sec3. This degradation is essential to prevent competition between the site of polarized growth and the wound...
- Terbush D, Guo W, Dunkelbarger S, Novick P. Purification and characterization of yeast exocyst complex. Methods Enzymol. 2001;329:100-10 pubmed
- Novick P, Ferro S, Schekman R. Order of events in the yeast secretory pathway. Cell. 1981;25:461-9 pubmed
- Aalto M, Ronne H, Keranen S. Yeast syntaxins Sso1p and Sso2p belong to a family of related membrane proteins that function in vesicular transport. EMBO J. 1993;12:4095-104 pubmed..in high copy number can suppress sec1 mutations and also mutations in several other late acting SEC genes, such as SEC3, SEC5, SEC9 and SEC15...
- Andersen N, Yeaman C. Sec3-containing exocyst complex is required for desmosome assembly in mammalian epithelial cells. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:152-64 pubmed publisher..b>Sec3 has been hypothesized to function as a spatial landmark for the development of polarity in budding yeast, but its ..
- Nair J, Muller H, Peterson M, Novick P. Sec2 protein contains a coiled-coil domain essential for vesicular transport and a dispensable carboxy terminal domain. J Cell Biol. 1990;110:1897-909 pubmed..The Sec2 protein may function in conjunction with the Sec4 and Sec15 proteins to control vesicular traffic. ..
- Liu D, Novick P. Bem1p contributes to secretory pathway polarization through a direct interaction with Exo70p. J Cell Biol. 2014;207:59-72 pubmed publisher..Similar to Sec3p, the actin-independent localization of Exo70p requires a synergistic interaction with the phosphoinositide PI(4,5)P2. ..
- Wadskog I, Forsmark A, Rossi G, Konopka C, Oyen M, Goksör M, et al. The yeast tumor suppressor homologue Sro7p is required for targeting of the sodium pumping ATPase to the cell surface. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:4988-5003 pubmed..We propose a model in which blocked exocytic sorting in sro7Delta mutants, gives rise to quality control-mediated routing of Ena1p to the vacuole. ..
- Osman M, Konopka J, Cerione R. Iqg1p links spatial and secretion landmarks to polarity and cytokinesis. J Cell Biol. 2002;159:601-11 pubmed..Taken together, these findings suggest that Iqg1p recruits landmark proteins to form a targeting patch that coordinates axial budding with cytokinesis. ..
- VerPlank L, Li R. Cell cycle-regulated trafficking of Chs2 controls actomyosin ring stability during cytokinesis. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:2529-43 pubmed..Chs2, as the chitin synthase that produces the primary septum, thus couples the assembly of the extracellular matrix with the dynamics of the contractile ring during cytokinesis. ..
- Adhikari H, Vadaie N, Chow J, Caccamise L, Chavel C, Li B, et al. Role of the unfolded protein response in regulating the mucin-dependent filamentous-growth mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway. Mol Cell Biol. 2015;35:1414-32 pubmed publisher..We speculate that the QC pathways broadly regulate signaling glycoproteins and their cognate pathways by recognizing altered glycosylation patterns that can occur in response to extrinsic cues. ..
- Demmel L, Beck M, Klose C, Schlaitz A, Gloor Y, Hsu P, et al. Nucleocytoplasmic shuttling of the Golgi phosphatidylinositol 4-kinase Pik1 is regulated by 14-3-3 proteins and coordinates Golgi function with cell growth. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:1046-61 pubmed publisher..These data suggest a role of Pik1p nucleocytoplasmic shuttling in coordination of biosynthetic transport from the Golgi with nutrient signaling. ..
- Kozminski K, Alfaro G, Dighe S, Beh C. Homologues of oxysterol-binding proteins affect Cdc42p- and Rho1p-mediated cell polarization in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Traffic. 2006;7:1224-42 pubmed..Disruption of all OSH gene function caused specific defects in polarized exocytosis, indicating that the Osh proteins are collectively required for a secretory pathway implicated in the maintenance of polarized growth. ..