Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SEC21
Description: coatomer subunit gamma
Alias: coatomer subunit gamma
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Duden R, Hosobuchi M, Hamamoto S, Winey M, Byers B, Schekman R. Yeast beta- and beta'-coat proteins (COP). Two coatomer subunits essential for endoplasmic reticulum-to-Golgi protein traffic. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:24486-95 pubmed..Genetic interactions connect sec27-1 and sec21-1 (coatomer gamma subunit) with the ARF1 and ARF2 genes and with the SEC22, BET1, and BOS1 genes, which encode ..
- Rein U, Andag U, Duden R, Schmitt H, Spang A. ARF-GAP-mediated interaction between the ER-Golgi v-SNAREs and the COPI coat. J Cell Biol. 2002;157:395-404 pubmed..The mechanisms by which v-SNAREs interact with COPI and COPII coat proteins seem to be different and may play a key role in determining specificity in vesicle budding...
- Letourneur F, Gaynor E, Hennecke S, Démollière C, Duden R, Emr S, et al. Coatomer is essential for retrieval of dilysine-tagged proteins to the endoplasmic reticulum. Cell. 1994;79:1199-207 pubmed..sec18, sec19, sec22, and sec23), a defect in retrieval was observed in previously characterized coatomer mutants (sec21-1, sec27-1), as well as in newly isolated retrieval mutants (sec21-2, ret1-1)...
- Watson P, Frigerio G, Collins B, Duden R, Owen D. Gamma-COP appendage domain - structure and function. Traffic. 2004;5:79-88 pubmed..On the basis of mutations in the yeast homologue of gamma-COP, Sec21p, a second binding site is proposed to exist on the gamma-COP appendage that interacts with the alpha,beta',epsilon COPI subcomplex. ..
- Spang A, Schekman R. Reconstitution of retrograde transport from the Golgi to the ER in vitro. J Cell Biol. 1998;143:589-99 pubmed..Putative retrograde carriers (COPI vesicles) generated from Golgi-enriched membranes contain v-SNAREs as well as Emp47p as cargo...
- Andag U, Neumann T, Schmitt H. The coatomer-interacting protein Dsl1p is required for Golgi-to-endoplasmic reticulum retrieval in yeast. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:39150-60 pubmed..Furthermore, we demonstrate that Dsl1p is a peripheral membrane protein, which in vitro specifically binds to coatomer, the major component of the protein coat of COPI vesicles. ..
- Peyroche A, Courbeyrette R, Rambourg A, Jackson C. The ARF exchange factors Gea1p and Gea2p regulate Golgi structure and function in yeast. J Cell Sci. 2001;114:2241-53 pubmed..In addition, the structure of Golgi elements was severely perturbed in gea mutants. We conclude that Gea1p and Gea2p play an important role in the structure and functioning of the Golgi apparatus in yeast. ..
- Sandmann T, Herrmann J, Dengjel J, Schwarz H, Spang A. Suppression of coatomer mutants by a new protein family with COPI and COPII binding motifs in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:3097-113 pubmed..Inactivation of COPI vesicle formation in conditional sec21 (gamma-COP) mutants rapidly blocks transport of certain proteins along the early secretory pathway...
- Gabriely G, Kama R, Gerst J. Involvement of specific COPI subunits in protein sorting from the late endosome to the vacuole in yeast. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:526-40 pubmed..Together, our findings suggest that certain COPI subunits could have a direct role in vacuolar protein sorting to the MVB compartment. ..
- Bacon R, Salminen A, Ruohola H, Novick P, Ferro Novick S. The GTP-binding protein Ypt1 is required for transport in vitro: the Golgi apparatus is defective in ypt1 mutants. J Cell Biol. 1989;109:1015-22 pubmed..We have also established genetic interactions between ypt1 and a subset of the other genes required for transport to and through the Golgi apparatus. ..
- Heidtman M, Chen C, Collins R, Barlowe C. A role for Yip1p in COPII vesicle biogenesis. J Cell Biol. 2003;163:57-69 pubmed..We propose that Yip1p has a previously unappreciated role in COPII vesicle biogenesis. ..
- Deitz S, Rambourg A, Kepes F, Franzusoff A. Sec7p directs the transitions required for yeast Golgi biogenesis. Traffic. 2000;1:172-83 pubmed
- VanRheenen S, Reilly B, Chamberlain S, Waters M. Dsl1p, an essential protein required for membrane traffic at the endoplasmic reticulum/Golgi interface in yeast. Traffic. 2001;2:212-31 pubmed..Because the strongest suppressor is SEC21, we proposed that Dsl1p functions primarily in retrograde Golgi to ER traffic, although it is possible that Dsl1p ..
- Antebi A, Fink G. The yeast Ca(2+)-ATPase homologue, PMR1, is required for normal Golgi function and localizes in a novel Golgi-like distribution. Mol Biol Cell. 1992;3:633-54 pubmed..Some of these interactions are modulated by changes in external Ca2+ concentrations. These results imply a global role for Ca2+ in the proper function of components governing transit and processing through the secretory pathway. ..
- Yu X, Breitman M, Goldberg J. A structure-based mechanism for Arf1-dependent recruitment of coatomer to membranes. Cell. 2012;148:530-42 pubmed publisher..A bivalent GTP-dependent binding mode has implications for the dynamics of coatomer interaction with the Golgi and for the selection of cargo molecules. ..
- Luo Z, Gallwitz D. Biochemical and genetic evidence for the involvement of yeast Ypt6-GTPase in protein retrieval to different Golgi compartments. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:791-9 pubmed..The results obtained indicate that Ypt6p acts in endosome-to-Golgi, in intra-Golgi retrograde transport, and possibly also in Golgi-to-ER trafficking. ..
- Spang A, Herrmann J, Hamamoto S, Schekman R. The ADP ribosylation factor-nucleotide exchange factors Gea1p and Gea2p have overlapping, but not redundant functions in retrograde transport from the Golgi to the endoplasmic reticulum. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:1035-45 pubmed..We identified GEA2 as a multicopy suppressor of a sec21-3 temperature-sensitive mutant...
- Yip C, Walz T. Molecular structure and flexibility of the yeast coatomer as revealed by electron microscopy. J Mol Biol. 2011;408:825-31 pubmed publisher..Our analyses provide the first three-dimensional picture of the complete coatomer and reveal substantial conformational flexibility likely to be critical for its scaffolding function. ..
- Chen S, Cai H, Park S, Menon S, Jackson C, Ferro Novick S. Trs65p, a subunit of the Ypt1p GEF TRAPPII, interacts with the Arf1p exchange factor Gea2p to facilitate COPI-mediated vesicle traffic. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:3634-44 pubmed publisher..In support of this proposal, we show that TRAPPII is more soluble in an arf1? mutant. ..
- Rossi G, Kolstad K, Stone S, Palluault F, Ferro Novick S. BET3 encodes a novel hydrophilic protein that acts in conjunction with yeast SNAREs. Mol Biol Cell. 1995;6:1769-80 pubmed..These findings support the hypothesis that Bet3p may act before the assembly of the SNARE complex. ..
- Alisaraie L, Rouiller I. Full-length structural model of RET3 and SEC21 in COPI: identification of binding sites on the appendage for accessory protein recruitment motifs. J Mol Model. 2012;18:3199-212 pubmed publisher..Here, we report the three-dimensional structures of the entire sequences of yeast Sec21 (?-COPI mammalian ortholog), yeast Ret3 (?-COPI mammalian ortholog), and the results of successive molecular ..
- Kim D, Massey T, Sacher M, Pypaert M, Ferro Novick S. Sgf1p, a new component of the Sec34p/Sec35p complex. Traffic. 2001;2:820-30 pubmed..Although an earlier study suggested that Sec34p (Grd20p) is not required for protein secretion, we show here that the sec34-2 and sec35-1 mutations lead to a pleiotropic block in the secretion of all proteins into the growth medium. ..
- Michelsen K, Schmid V, Metz J, Heusser K, Liebel U, Schwede T, et al. Novel cargo-binding site in the beta and delta subunits of coatomer. J Cell Biol. 2007;179:209-17 pubmed..A homology model of the COPI trunk domain illustrates the recognition of R-based signals by COPI. ..
- Jackson C, Kepes F. BFR1, a multicopy suppressor of brefeldin A-induced lethality, is implicated in secretion and nuclear segregation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 1994;137:423-37 pubmed..We demonstrate that the mutant sec21 (defective in the S. cerevisiae homolog of gamma-COP, a non-clathrin coat protein) is supersensitive to BFA...
- Jarmoszewicz K, Łukasiak K, Riezman H, Kaminska J. Rsp5 ubiquitin ligase is required for protein trafficking in Saccharomyces cerevisiae COPI mutants. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e39582 pubmed publisher..Additionally, Rsp5 and Sla1 proteins were found by co-immunoprecipitation in a complex containing COPI subunits. Together, our results show that Rsp5 ligase plays a role in regulating retrograde Golgi-to-ER trafficking. ..
- Frigerio G. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae early secretion mutant tip20 is synthetic lethal with mutants in yeast coatomer and the SNARE proteins Sec22p and Ufe1p. Yeast. 1998;14:633-46 pubmed..A subset of tip20 mutants was found to be lethal in combination with sec20-1, sec21-1, sec22-3 and sec27-1...
- Ossig R, Dascher C, Trepte H, Schmitt H, Gallwitz D. The yeast SLY gene products, suppressors of defects in the essential GTP-binding Ypt1 protein, may act in endoplasmic reticulum-to-Golgi transport. Mol Cell Biol. 1991;11:2980-93 pubmed..These suppressors also partially complement the sec21-1 and sec22-3 mutants which lead to a defect early in the secretory pathway...
- Tu L, Tai W, Chen L, Banfield D. Signal-mediated dynamic retention of glycosyltransferases in the Golgi. Science. 2008;321:404-7 pubmed publisher..We propose that Vps74p maintains the steady-state localization of Golgi glycosyltransferases dynamically, by promoting their incorporation into COPI-coated vesicles. ..
- Hua Z, Graham T. Requirement for neo1p in retrograde transport from the Golgi complex to the endoplasmic reticulum. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:4971-83 pubmed..We propose that loss of lipid asymmetry in the cis Golgi perturbs retrograde protein transport to the ER. ..