Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SEC18
Description: AAA family ATPase SEC18
Alias: ANU4, AAA family ATPase SEC18
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Tomeo M, Palermo L, Tove S, Parks L. A conditional sterol esterification defect in yeast having either a sec1 or sec5 mutation in the secretory pathway. Yeast. 1997;13:449-62 pubmed..Double mutants containing sec6, sec14 or sec18 with either a sec1 or sec5 mutation have normal esterification levels...
- Taxis C, Vogel F, Wolf D. ER-golgi traffic is a prerequisite for efficient ER degradation. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:1806-18 pubmed
- Wang C, Stromhaug P, Kauffman E, Weisman L, Klionsky D. Yeast homotypic vacuole fusion requires the Ccz1-Mon1 complex during the tethering/docking stage. J Cell Biol. 2003;163:973-85 pubmed..Accordingly, we propose that the Ccz1-Mon1 complex is critical for the Ypt7-dependent tethering/docking stage leading to the formation of a trans-SNARE complex and subsequent vacuole fusion. ..
- Xu H, Wickner W. Bem1p is a positive regulator of the homotypic fusion of yeast vacuoles. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:27158-66 pubmed..2005) Genes Dev. 19, 2606-2618), we did not find phosphorylation of Bem1p at Ser-72 to be required for Bem1p-stimulated fusion. Taken together, Bem1p is a positive regulator of lipid mixing during vacuole hemifusion and fusion. ..
- Mima J, Wickner W. Phosphoinositides and SNARE chaperones synergistically assemble and remodel SNARE complexes for membrane fusion. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:16191-6 pubmed publisher..This ternary synergy of phosphoinositides and 2 SNARE chaperone systems is required for rapid fusion. ..
- Schindler C, Spang A. Interaction of SNAREs with ArfGAPs precedes recruitment of Sec18p/NSF. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:2852-63 pubmed
- Desfougères Y, Neumann H, Mayer A. Organelle size control - increasing vacuole content activates SNAREs to augment organelle volume through homotypic fusion. J Cell Sci. 2016;129:2817-28 pubmed publisher..Synthesis of the dominant compound stored inside vacuoles, polyphosphate, stimulates binding of the chaperone Sec18/NSF to vacuolar SNAREs, which activates them and triggers fusion...
- Schwartz M, Nickerson D, Lobingier B, Plemel R, Duan M, Angers C, et al. Sec17 (?-SNAP) and an SM-tethering complex regulate the outcome of SNARE zippering in vitro and in vivo. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..Operating independently of Sec18 (NSF) catalysis, Sec17 (?-SNAP) either inhibits or stimulates SNARE-mediated fusion...
- Xu Z, Sato K, Wickner W. LMA1 binds to vacuoles at Sec18p (NSF), transfers upon ATP hydrolysis to a t-SNARE (Vam3p) complex, and is released during fusion. Cell. 1998;93:1125-34 pubmed..Either the sec18-1 mutation and deletion of I(B)2, or deletion of both I(B)2 and p13 (an I(B)2 homolog) causes a striking synthetic ..
- Sato K, Wickner W. Functional reconstitution of ypt7p GTPase and a purified vacuole SNARE complex. Science. 1998;281:700-2 pubmed..Thus, solubilized integral membrane components can be reconstituted for priming, docking, and fusion steps of organelle trafficking. ..
- Liu H, Bretscher A. Characterization of TPM1 disrupted yeast cells indicates an involvement of tropomyosin in directed vesicular transport. J Cell Biol. 1992;118:285-99 pubmed..Combinations of the TPM1 disruption with sec13 or sec18 mutations, which affect early steps in the secretory pathway, block vesicle accumulation, while combinations with ..
- Gerhardt B, Kordas T, Thompson C, Patel P, Vida T. The vesicle transport protein Vps33p is an ATP-binding protein that localizes to the cytosol in an energy-dependent manner. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:15818-29 pubmed..Overall, these data support a model where Vps33p cycles between soluble and particulate forms in an ATP-dependent manner, which may facilitate the specificity of transport vesicle docking or targeting to the yeast lysosome/vacuole. ..
- Imhof I, Flury I, Vionnet C, Roubaty C, Egger D, Conzelmann A. Glycosylphosphatidylinositol (GPI) proteins of Saccharomyces cerevisiae contain ethanolamine phosphate groups on the alpha1,4-linked mannose of the GPI anchor. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:19614-27 pubmed..Curiously, the stability of this substituent during preparation of anchors is much greater in gpi7Delta sec18 double mutants than in either single mutant or wild type cells, indicating that the lack of a substituent on the ..
- Luo Z, Gallwitz D. Biochemical and genetic evidence for the involvement of yeast Ypt6-GTPase in protein retrieval to different Golgi compartments. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:791-9 pubmed..The results obtained indicate that Ypt6p acts in endosome-to-Golgi, in intra-Golgi retrograde transport, and possibly also in Golgi-to-ER trafficking. ..
- Steel G, Laude A, Boojawan A, Harvey D, Morgan A. Biochemical analysis of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae SEC18 gene product: implications for the molecular mechanism of membrane fusion. Biochemistry. 1999;38:7764-72 pubmedThe SEC18 gene product is 48% identical to mammalian NSF (N-ethylmaleimide-sensitive fusion protein), and both proteins encode cytoplasmic ATPases which are essential for membrane traffic in yeast and mammalian cells, respectively...
- Demmel L, Beck M, Klose C, Schlaitz A, Gloor Y, Hsu P, et al. Nucleocytoplasmic shuttling of the Golgi phosphatidylinositol 4-kinase Pik1 is regulated by 14-3-3 proteins and coordinates Golgi function with cell growth. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:1046-61 pubmed publisher..These data suggest a role of Pik1p nucleocytoplasmic shuttling in coordination of biosynthetic transport from the Golgi with nutrient signaling. ..
- Ishihara N, Hamasaki M, Yokota S, Suzuki K, Kamada Y, Kihara A, et al. Autophagosome requires specific early Sec proteins for its formation and NSF/SNARE for vacuolar fusion. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:3690-702 pubmed..This evidence demonstrating the involvement of Sec proteins in the mechanism of autophagosome formation is crucial for understanding membrane flow during the process. ..
- Barlowe C. Coupled ER to Golgi transport reconstituted with purified cytosolic proteins. J Cell Biol. 1997;139:1097-108 pubmed..Ordering experiments using the dilution resistant intermediate and reversible Sec23p complex inhibition indicate Sec18p action is required before LMA1 function. ..
- Meiringer C, Rethmeier R, Auffarth K, Wilson J, Perz A, Barlowe C, et al. The Dsl1 protein tethering complex is a resident endoplasmic reticulum complex, which interacts with five soluble NSF (N-ethylmaleimide-sensitive factor) attachment protein receptors (SNAREs): implications for fusion and fusion regulation. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:25039-46 pubmed publisher..Of the two R-SNAREs, Sec22 is preferred over Ykt6 in the Dsl-SNARE complex. The NSF homolog Sec18 can displace Ykt6 but not Sec22, suggesting a regulatory function for Ykt6...
- Zick M, Orr A, Schwartz M, Merz A, Wickner W. Sec17 can trigger fusion of trans-SNARE paired membranes without Sec18. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:E2290-7 pubmed publisherSec17 [soluble N-ethylmaleimide-sensitive factor (NSF) attachment protein; Î±-SNAP] and Sec18 (NSF) perform ATP-dependent disassembly of cis-SNARE complexes, liberating SNAREs for subsequent assembly of trans-complexes for fusion...
- Burd C, Peterson M, Cowles C, Emr S. A novel Sec18p/NSF-dependent complex required for Golgi-to-endosome transport in yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 1997;8:1089-104 pubmed..the vac1tsf mutant was rescued by overexpression of VPS45 or PEP12, overexpression of a dominant pep12 allele in a sec18-1 strain resulted in a severe synthetic growth defect that was rescued by deletion of PEP12 or VAC1, and ..
- Brigance W, Barlowe C, Graham T. Organization of the yeast Golgi complex into at least four functionally distinct compartments. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:171-82 pubmed..We propose that the alpha1,6-, alpha1,2-, and alpha1,3-mannosylation and Kex2p-dependent processing events mark the cis, medial, trans, and trans-Golgi network of the yeast Golgi complex, respectively. ..
- Jun Y, Xu H, Thorngren N, Wickner W. Sec18p and Vam7p remodel trans-SNARE complexes to permit a lipid-anchored R-SNARE to support yeast vacuole fusion. EMBO J. 2007;26:4935-45 pubmed
- Munson M, Hughson F. Conformational regulation of SNARE assembly and disassembly in vivo. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:9375-81 pubmed..Our findings indicate that elevated levels of SNARE complexes can be toxic and that these levels are normally controlled by the SNARE disassembly machinery, by the limited availability of Sec9p, and by the closed conformation of Sso1p. ..
- Kosodo Y, Noda Y, Adachi H, Yoda K. Cooperation of Sly1/SM-family protein and sec18/NSF of Saccharomyces cerevisiae in disassembly of cis-SNARE membrane-protein complexes. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2003;67:448-50 pubmed..A temperature-sensitive mutation (sec18-1) of Sec18/NSF disassembly ATPase showed synthetic lethality with the sly1(ts) mutation...
- Aksnes H, Osberg C, Arnesen T. N-terminal acetylation by NatC is not a general determinant for substrate subcellular localization in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e61012 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, all organelle-localized substrates indicated undisrupted structures, thus suggesting that absence of NatC acetylation does not have a vast effect on organelle morphology in yeast. ..
- Lobingier B, Nickerson D, Lo S, Merz A. SM proteins Sly1 and Vps33 co-assemble with Sec17 and SNARE complexes to oppose SNARE disassembly by Sec18. elife. 2014;3:e02272 pubmed publisherSecretory and endolysosomal fusion events are driven by SNAREs and cofactors, including Sec17/?-SNAP, Sec18/NSF, and Sec1/Munc18 (SM) proteins. SMs are essential for fusion in vivo, but the basis of this requirement is enigmatic...
- Rossi G, Kolstad K, Stone S, Palluault F, Ferro Novick S. BET3 encodes a novel hydrophilic protein that acts in conjunction with yeast SNAREs. Mol Biol Cell. 1995;6:1769-80 pubmed..These findings support the hypothesis that Bet3p may act before the assembly of the SNARE complex. ..