Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SEC15
Description: Rab GTPase-binding exocyst subunit SEC15
Alias: Rab GTPase-binding exocyst subunit SEC15
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Toikkanen J, Miller K, Söderlund H, Jantti J, Keränen S. The beta subunit of the Sec61p endoplasmic reticulum translocon interacts with the exocyst complex in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:20946-53 pubmed..SEB1/SBH1, encoding the beta subunit of the Sec61p ER translocation complex, as a multicopy suppressor of the sec15-1 mutant, defective for one subunit of the exocyst complex...
- Lillie S, Brown S. Smy1p, a kinesin-related protein that does not require microtubules. J Cell Biol. 1998;140:873-83 pubmed..We conclude that Smy1p does not act as a microtubule-based motor to localize properly or to compensate for defective Myo2p, but that it must instead act in some novel way. ..
- Zhang X, Bi E, Novick P, Du L, Kozminski K, Lipschutz J, et al. Cdc42 interacts with the exocyst and regulates polarized secretion. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:46745-50 pubmed..These results have revealed a role for Cdc42 in exocytosis. We propose that Cdc42 coordinates the vesicle docking machinery and the actin cytoskeleton for polarized secretion. ..
- Govindan B, Bowser R, Novick P. The role of Myo2, a yeast class V myosin, in vesicular transport. J Cell Biol. 1995;128:1055-68 pubmed..Our observations are consistent with a role for Myo2 in transporting a class of secretory vesicles from the mother cell along actin cables into the bud. ..
- Nair J, Muller H, Peterson M, Novick P. Sec2 protein contains a coiled-coil domain essential for vesicular transport and a dispensable carboxy terminal domain. J Cell Biol. 1990;110:1897-909 pubmed..sec2-41 mutation exhibits synthetic lethality with the same subset of the late acting sec mutants as does sec4-8 and sec15-1. The Sec2 protein may function in conjunction with the Sec4 and Sec15 proteins to control vesicular traffic.
- Terbush D, Maurice T, Roth D, Novick P. The Exocyst is a multiprotein complex required for exocytosis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. EMBO J. 1996;15:6483-94 pubmed..Previously, we have shown that three of these genes, SEC6, SEC8 and SEC15, encode components of a multisubunit complex which localizes to the tip of the bud, the predominant site of ..
- Stalder D, Mizuno Yamasaki E, Ghassemian M, Novick P. Phosphorylation of the Rab exchange factor Sec2p directs a switch in regulatory binding partners. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:19995-20002 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the phosphorylation state of Sec2p can direct a switch in its regulatory binding partners that facilitates maturation of the secretory vesicle and helps to promote the directionality of vesicular transport. ..
- Grosshans B, Andreeva A, Gangar A, Niessen S, Yates J, Brennwald P, et al. The yeast lgl family member Sro7p is an effector of the secretory Rab GTPase Sec4p. J Cell Biol. 2006;172:55-66 pubmed..Genetic data support our conclusion that Sro7p functions downstream of Sec4p and further imply that Sro7p and the exocyst share partially overlapping functions, possibly in SNARE regulation. ..
- Mizuno Yamasaki E, Medkova M, Coleman J, Novick P. Phosphatidylinositol 4-phosphate controls both membrane recruitment and a regulatory switch of the Rab GEF Sec2p. Dev Cell. 2010;18:828-40 pubmed publisher..In this way, the regulation of PI4P levels may switch Sec2p/Sec4p function during vesicle maturation, from a Rab GEF recruitment cascade involving Ypt32p to an effector positive feedback loop involving Sec15p. ..
- Jin Y, Sultana A, Gandhi P, Franklin E, Hamamoto S, Khan A, et al. Myosin V transports secretory vesicles via a Rab GTPase cascade and interaction with the exocyst complex. Dev Cell. 2011;21:1156-70 pubmed publisher..Here we show that Myo2 interacts directly with Sec4 and the exocyst subunit Sec15. Disruption of these interactions results in compromised growth and the accumulation of secretory vesicles...
- Finger F, Novick P. Synthetic interactions of the post-Golgi sec mutations of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2000;156:943-51 pubmed..The significance of these results is discussed in the context of both secretory pathway function and the utility of synthetic lethality studies and their interpretation. ..
- Elbert M, Rossi G, Brennwald P. The yeast par-1 homologs kin1 and kin2 show genetic and physical interactions with components of the exocytic machinery. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:532-49 pubmed..In summary, we report the finding that yeast Par-1 counterparts are associated with and regulate the function of the exocytic apparatus via phosphorylation of Sec9. ..
- Terbush D, Novick P. Sec6, Sec8, and Sec15 are components of a multisubunit complex which localizes to small bud tips in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Cell Biol. 1995;130:299-312 pubmed..Two of these genes, SEC8 and SEC15, encode components of a 1-2-million D multi-subunit complex that is found in the cytoplasm and associated with the ..
- Finger F, Novick P. Spatial regulation of exocytosis: lessons from yeast. J Cell Biol. 1998;142:609-12 pubmed
- France Y, Boyd C, Coleman J, Novick P. The polarity-establishment component Bem1p interacts with the exocyst complex through the Sec15p subunit. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:876-88 pubmed..Bem1p, including the first Src-homology 3 (SH3) domain, the localization of green fluorescent protein (GFP)-tagged Sec15 is affected, especially in the early stage of bud growth...
- Zhang X, Zajac A, Zhang J, Wang P, Li M, Murray J, et al. The critical role of Exo84p in the organization and polarized localization of the exocyst complex. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:20356-64 pubmed..Exo84p plays a critical role in both the assembly of the exocyst and its targeting to sites of secretion. ..
- Zhang X, Wang P, Gangar A, Zhang J, Brennwald P, TerBush D, et al. Lethal giant larvae proteins interact with the exocyst complex and are involved in polarized exocytosis. J Cell Biol. 2005;170:273-83 pubmed..We propose that, although Lgl is broadly distributed in the cells, its localized interaction with the exocyst and kinetic activation are important for the establishment and reenforcement of cell polarity. ..
- Novick P, Field C, Schekman R. Identification of 23 complementation groups required for post-translational events in the yeast secretory pathway. Cell. 1980;21:205-15 pubmed..We suggest that these structures represent intermediates in a pathway in which secretion and plasma membrane assembly are colinear. ..
- Medkova M, France Y, Coleman J, Novick P. The rab exchange factor Sec2p reversibly associates with the exocyst. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:2757-69 pubmed..The mislocalization of Sec2p mutants results from a failure to be released from Sec15p, blocking this recycling pathway. ..
- Adamo J, Moskow J, Gladfelter A, Viterbo D, Lew D, Brennwald P. Yeast Cdc42 functions at a late step in exocytosis, specifically during polarized growth of the emerging bud. J Cell Biol. 2001;155:581-92 pubmed..Rather, we suggest that Cdc42 acts as an allosteric regulator of the vesicle docking and fusion apparatus to provide maximal function at sites of polarized growth. ..
- Walch Solimena C, Novick P. The yeast phosphatidylinositol-4-OH kinase pik1 regulates secretion at the Golgi. Nat Cell Biol. 1999;1:523-5 pubmed
- Shen D, Yuan H, Hutagalung A, Verma A, Kümmel D, Wu X, et al. The synaptobrevin homologue Snc2p recruits the exocyst to secretory vesicles by binding to Sec6p. J Cell Biol. 2013;202:509-26 pubmed publisher..We propose that the exocyst is recruited to secretory vesicles by the combinatorial signals of Sec4-GTP and the Snc proteins. This could help to confer both specificity and directionality to vesicular traffic. ..
- Roth D, Guo W, Novick P. Dominant negative alleles of SEC10 reveal distinct domains involved in secretion and morphogenesis in yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 1998;9:1725-39 pubmed
- Finger F, Novick P. Sec3p is involved in secretion and morphogenesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 1997;8:647-62 pubmed..in high copy suppresses pfy1-111 and sec5-24 and causes synthetic growth defects with ypt1, sec8-9, sec10-2, and sec15-1...
- Castillo Flores A, Weinberger A, Robinson M, Gerst J. Mso1 is a novel component of the yeast exocytic SNARE complex. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:34033-41 pubmed..These results suggest that Mso1 is a component of the exocytic SNARE complex and a possible ortholog of the Munc13/Mint proteins. ..
- Feng D, Zhao X, Soromani C, Toikkanen J, Römisch K, Vembar S, et al. The transmembrane domain is sufficient for Sbh1p function, its association with the Sec61 complex, and interaction with Rtn1p. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:30618-28 pubmed
- Demmel L, Beck M, Klose C, Schlaitz A, Gloor Y, Hsu P, et al. Nucleocytoplasmic shuttling of the Golgi phosphatidylinositol 4-kinase Pik1 is regulated by 14-3-3 proteins and coordinates Golgi function with cell growth. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:1046-61 pubmed publisher..These data suggest a role of Pik1p nucleocytoplasmic shuttling in coordination of biosynthetic transport from the Golgi with nutrient signaling. ..
- Lepore D, Spassibojko O, Pinto G, Collins R. Cell cycle-dependent phosphorylation of Sec4p controls membrane deposition during cytokinesis. J Cell Biol. 2016;214:691-703 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest the physiological relevance of Sec4p phosphorylation is to facilitate the coordination of membrane-trafficking events during cytokinesis. ..
- Yakir Tamang L, Gerst J. A phosphatidylinositol-transfer protein and phosphatidylinositol-4-phosphate 5-kinase control Cdc42 to regulate the actin cytoskeleton and secretory pathway in yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:3583-97 pubmed publisher..Based upon these findings, we propose that the exocytic signal involves PI delivery to the PI kinases (i.e., Mss4) by Sfh5, generation of PI(4,5)P(2), and PI(4,5)P(2)-dependent regulation of Cdc42 and the actin cytoskeleton. ..
- Stalder D, Novick P. The casein kinases Yck1p and Yck2p act in the secretory pathway, in part, by regulating the Rab exchange factor Sec2p. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:686-701 pubmed publisher..This promotes Sec2p function by stimulating its interaction with Sec15p. Finally, Sec2p is dephosphorylated very late in the exocytic reaction to facilitate recycling. ..
- Yuan S, Nie W, He F, Jia Z, Gao X. Kin2, the Budding Yeast Ortholog of Animal MARK/PAR-1 Kinases, Localizes to the Sites of Polarized Growth and May Regulate Septin Organization and the Cell Wall. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0153992 pubmed publisher..We speculate that Kin2 may be regulated by Bmh1, Rho3, or Pea2 in vivo. Our study provides new insight in the localization, function, and regulation of Kin2. ..
- Aalto M, Ronne H, Keranen S. Yeast syntaxins Sso1p and Sso2p belong to a family of related membrane proteins that function in vesicular transport. EMBO J. 1993;12:4095-104 pubmed..suppress sec1 mutations and also mutations in several other late acting SEC genes, such as SEC3, SEC5, SEC9 and SEC15. SSO1 and SSO2 encode small proteins with N-terminal hydrophilic domains and C-terminal hydrophobic tails...
- Knop M, Miller K, Mazza M, Feng D, Weber M, Keränen S, et al. Molecular interactions position Mso1p, a novel PTB domain homologue, in the interface of the exocyst complex and the exocytic SNARE machinery in yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:4543-56 pubmed..These results position Mso1p in the interface of the exocyst complex, Sec4p, and the SNARE machinery, and reveal a novel layer of molecular conservation in the exocytosis machinery. ..
- Gao X, Albert S, Tcheperegine S, Burd C, Gallwitz D, Bi E. The GAP activity of Msb3p and Msb4p for the Rab GTPase Sec4p is required for efficient exocytosis and actin organization. J Cell Biol. 2003;162:635-46 pubmed..Using a strain defective in polarized secretion and actin-patch organization, we showed that a change in actin-patch organization could be a consequence of the fusion of mistargeted vesicles with the plasma membrane. ..
- Aalto M, Jantti J, Ostling J, Keranen S, Ronne H. Mso1p: a yeast protein that functions in secretion and interacts physically and genetically with Sec1p. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:7331-6 pubmed..These findings suggest that Mso1p is a component of the secretory vesicle docking complex whose function is closely associated with that of Sec1p. ..
- Terbush D, Guo W, Dunkelbarger S, Novick P. Purification and characterization of yeast exocyst complex. Methods Enzymol. 2001;329:100-10 pubmed
- Antebi A, Fink G. The yeast Ca(2+)-ATPase homologue, PMR1, is required for normal Golgi function and localizes in a novel Golgi-like distribution. Mol Biol Cell. 1992;3:633-54 pubmed..Some of these interactions are modulated by changes in external Ca2+ concentrations. These results imply a global role for Ca2+ in the proper function of components governing transit and processing through the secretory pathway. ..
- Liu D, Novick P. Bem1p contributes to secretory pathway polarization through a direct interaction with Exo70p. J Cell Biol. 2014;207:59-72 pubmed publisher..Similar to Sec3p, the actin-independent localization of Exo70p requires a synergistic interaction with the phosphoinositide PI(4,5)P2. ..
- Luo G, Zhang J, Guo W. The role of Sec3p in secretory vesicle targeting and exocyst complex assembly. Mol Biol Cell. 2014;25:3813-22 pubmed publisher..Our study helps to establish the role of the exocyst subunits in tethering and allows the investigation of the mechanisms that regulate vesicle tethering during exocytosis. ..
- Tomala K, Korona R. Alleviation of deleterious effects of protein mutation through inactivation of molecular chaperones. Mol Genet Genomics. 2008;280:409-17 pubmed publisher..We suggest that under non-stressful conditions, molecular chaperones are tuned to support folding of native proteins, but not that of mutated ones. ..
- Rossi G, Brennwald P. Yeast homologues of lethal giant larvae and type V myosin cooperate in the regulation of Rab-dependent vesicle clustering and polarized exocytosis. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:842-57 pubmed publisher..Thus Sro7 appears to coordinate the spatial and temporal nature of both Rab-dependent tethering and SNARE-dependent membrane fusion of exocytic vesicles with the plasma membrane. ..
- Fiedler T, Karpova T, Fleig U, Young M, Cooper J, Hegemann J. The vesicular transport protein Cgp1p/Vps54p/Tcs3p/Luv1p is required for the integrity of the actin cytoskeleton. Mol Genet Genomics. 2002;268:190-205 pubmed..Our data show for the first time that Cgp1p/Vps54p links aspects of vesicular protein transport with the organization of the actin cytoskeleton. ..
- Novick P, Ferro S, Schekman R. Order of events in the yeast secretory pathway. Cell. 1981;25:461-9 pubmed
- Ling Y, Hayano S, Novick P. Osh4p is needed to reduce the level of phosphatidylinositol-4-phosphate on secretory vesicles as they mature. Mol Biol Cell. 2014;25:3389-400 pubmed publisher..Spatial regulation of PI4P levels thereby plays an important role in vesicle maturation. ..
- Songer J, Munson M. Sec6p anchors the assembled exocyst complex at sites of secretion. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:973-82 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that assembly and polarization of the exocyst are functionally separable events, and that Sec6p is required to anchor exocyst complexes at sites of secretion. ..
- Dubuke M, Maniatis S, Shaffer S, Munson M. The Exocyst Subunit Sec6 Interacts with Assembled Exocytic SNARE Complexes. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:28245-56 pubmed publisher..Together, these results suggest a new model in which Sec6 promotes SNARE complex assembly, similar to the role proposed for other tether subunit-SNARE interactions. ..
- Damer C, Creutz C. Synaptotagmin II expression partially rescues the growth defect of the yeast sec15 secretory mutant. Biol Cell. 1996;88:55-63 pubmed..Synaptotagmin II expression was able to partially rescue the growth defect in one particular mutant, sec15. No suppression was observed when synaptotagmin II was expressed in sec1, sec2, sec4, sec5, sec6, sec8, sec9, ..
- Moya M, Roberts D, Novick P. DSS4-1 is a dominant suppressor of sec4-8 that encodes a nucleotide exchange protein that aids Sec4p function. Nature. 1993;361:460-3 pubmed..We report here the use of suppressor analysis to clone a gene, dss4, encoding a 17K protein that aids Sec4p action in vivo by functioning as a GDP dissociation stimulator. ..
- Wadskog I, Forsmark A, Rossi G, Konopka C, Oyen M, Goksör M, et al. The yeast tumor suppressor homologue Sro7p is required for targeting of the sodium pumping ATPase to the cell surface. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:4988-5003 pubmed..We propose a model in which blocked exocytic sorting in sro7Delta mutants, gives rise to quality control-mediated routing of Ena1p to the vacuole. ..
- Jantti J, Lahdenranta J, Olkkonen V, Soderlund H, Keranen S. SEM1, a homologue of the split hand/split foot malformation candidate gene Dss1, regulates exocytosis and pseudohyphal differentiation in yeast. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:909-14 pubmed..Here we describe a gene, SEM1, that can multicopy-suppress exocyst mutants sec3-2, sec8-9, sec10-2, and sec15-1. SEM1 is highly conserved among eukaryotic species...