Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SEC12
Description: Sar family guanine nucleotide exchange factor SEC12
Alias: SED2, Sar family guanine nucleotide exchange factor SEC12
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Yakir Tamang L, Gerst J. A phosphatidylinositol-transfer protein and phosphatidylinositol-4-phosphate 5-kinase control Cdc42 to regulate the actin cytoskeleton and secretory pathway in yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:3583-97 pubmed publisher..Based upon these findings, we propose that the exocytic signal involves PI delivery to the PI kinases (i.e., Mss4) by Sfh5, generation of PI(4,5)P(2), and PI(4,5)P(2)-dependent regulation of Cdc42 and the actin cytoskeleton. ..
- Chang H, Jesch S, Gaspar M, Henry S. Role of the unfolded protein response pathway in secretory stress and regulation of INO1 expression in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2004;168:1899-913 pubmed..Indeed, many of the Sec(-) mutants that had elevated UPR expression at semipermissive growth temperatures failed to achieve wild-type levels of INO1 expression under these same conditions. ..
- Barlowe C, Schekman R. Expression, purification, and assay of Sec12p: a Sar1p-specific GDP dissociation stimulator. Methods Enzymol. 1995;257:98-106 pubmed
- Sato M, Sato K, Nakano A. Endoplasmic reticulum localization of Sec12p is achieved by two mechanisms: Rer1p-dependent retrieval that requires the transmembrane domain and Rer1p-independent retention that involves the cytoplasmic domain. J Cell Biol. 1996;134:279-93 pubmed..This study not only supports the two-mechanisms hypothesis but also provides powerful tools to dissect the two. ..
- Higashio H, Kohno K. A genetic link between the unfolded protein response and vesicle formation from the endoplasmic reticulum. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;296:568-74 pubmed..These findings suggest that the activation of the UPR affects ER-to-Golgi transport via stimulation of COPII vesicle formation from the ER. ..
- Hardwick K, Boothroyd J, Rudner A, Pelham H. Genes that allow yeast cells to grow in the absence of the HDEL receptor. EMBO J. 1992;11:4187-95 pubmed..these SED genes encode membrane proteins: SED1 encodes a probable cell surface glycoprotein; SED2 is identical to SEC12, a gene required for the formation of ER-derived transport vesicles; SED4 encodes a protein whose cytoplasmic ..
- Heidtman M, Chen C, Collins R, Barlowe C. A role for Yip1p in COPII vesicle biogenesis. J Cell Biol. 2003;163:57-69 pubmed..We propose that Yip1p has a previously unappreciated role in COPII vesicle biogenesis. ..
- Stalder D, Novick P. The casein kinases Yck1p and Yck2p act in the secretory pathway, in part, by regulating the Rab exchange factor Sec2p. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:686-701 pubmed publisher..This promotes Sec2p function by stimulating its interaction with Sec15p. Finally, Sec2p is dephosphorylated very late in the exocytic reaction to facilitate recycling. ..
- Nakano A, Brada D, Schekman R. A membrane glycoprotein, Sec12p, required for protein transport from the endoplasmic reticulum to the Golgi apparatus in yeast. J Cell Biol. 1988;107:851-63 pubmedb>SEC12, a gene that is required for secretory, membrane, and vacuolar proteins to be transported from the endoplasmic reticulum to the Golgi apparatus, has been cloned from a genomic library by complementation of a sec12 ts mutation...
- Sato M, Sato K, Nakano A. Evidence for the intimate relationship between vesicle budding from the ER and the unfolded protein response. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;296:560-7 pubmed..that positively regulate Sec12p, we isolated IRE1 as a novel multicopy suppressor of the temperature-sensitive sec12-4 mutant...
- Roberg K, Bickel S, Rowley N, Kaiser C. Control of amino acid permease sorting in the late secretory pathway of Saccharomyces cerevisiae by SEC13, LST4, LST7 and LST8. Genetics. 1997;147:1569-84 pubmed..The LST7 gene encodes a novel protein. Together, these data indicate that SEC13, LST4, LST7, and LST8 function in the regulated delivery of Gap1p to the cell surface, perhaps as components of a post-Golgi secretory-vesicle coat. ..
- Haynes C, Caldwell S, Cooper A. An HRD/DER-independent ER quality control mechanism involves Rsp5p-dependent ubiquitination and ER-Golgi transport. J Cell Biol. 2002;158:91-101 pubmed..Both the HIP and HRD/DER pathways contribute to the degradation of CPY*, and only by eliminating both is CPY* degradation completely blocked. ..
- Chen C, Calero M, DeRegis C, Heidtman M, Barlowe C, Collins R. Genetic analysis of yeast Yip1p function reveals a requirement for Golgi-localized rab proteins and rab-Guanine nucleotide dissociation inhibitor. Genetics. 2004;168:1827-41 pubmed
- Massaad M, Herscovics A. Interaction of the endoplasmic reticulum alpha 1,2-mannosidase Mns1p with Rer1p using the split-ubiquitin system. J Cell Sci. 2001;114:4629-35 pubmed..Furthermore, the split-ubiquitin system demonstrates that the C-terminal of Rer1p is in the cytosol. ..
- Zabel R, Bär C, Mehlgarten C, Schaffrath R. Yeast alpha-tubulin suppressor Ats1/Kti13 relates to the Elongator complex and interacts with Elongator partner protein Kti11. Mol Microbiol. 2008;69:175-87 pubmed publisher..inactivation of Kti13 or Elongator rescues the thermosensitive growth defect of secretory mutants (sec2-59(ts), sec12-4(ts)), suggesting that Kti13 and Elongator affect secretion processes that depend on the GTP exchange factors ..
- Murakami A, Kimura K, Nakano A. The inactive form of a yeast casein kinase I suppresses the secretory defect of the sec12 mutant. Implication of negative regulation by the Hrr25 kinase in the vesicle budding from the endoplasmic reticulum. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:3804-10 pubmed..three yeast loci, RST1, RST2, and RST3, whose mutations suppressed the temperature-sensitive growth of the sec12-4 mutant (Nakano, A. (1996) J. Biochem. (Tokyo) 120, 642-646)...
- McMahon C, Studer S, Clendinen C, Dann G, Jeffrey P, Hughson F. The structure of Sec12 implicates potassium ion coordination in Sar1 activation. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:43599-606 pubmed publisher..Crucial for the initiation of COPII coat assembly is Sec12, a guanine nucleotide exchange factor responsible for activating the small G protein Sar1...
- Bacon R, Salminen A, Ruohola H, Novick P, Ferro Novick S. The GTP-binding protein Ypt1 is required for transport in vitro: the Golgi apparatus is defective in ypt1 mutants. J Cell Biol. 1989;109:1015-22 pubmed..We have also established genetic interactions between ypt1 and a subset of the other genes required for transport to and through the Golgi apparatus. ..
- Nakano A. Identification and characterization of extragenic suppressors of the yeast sec12 ts mutation. J Biochem. 1996;120:642-6 pubmedThe product of the yeast SEC12 gene is the most upstream player as far as we know in the events of vesicle budding from the endoplasmic reticulum membrane...