Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SAM35
Description: SAM complex subunit SAM35
Alias: FMP20, TOB38, TOM38, SAM complex subunit SAM35
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Habib S, Waizenegger T, Lech M, Neupert W, Rapaport D. Assembly of the TOB complex of mitochondria. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:6434-40 pubmed..The other two components of the TOB complex are Tob38, which builds a functional TOB core complex with Tob55, and Mas37, a peripheral member of the complex...
- Chan N, Lithgow T. The peripheral membrane subunits of the SAM complex function codependently in mitochondrial outer membrane biogenesis. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:126-36 pubmed..bacterial outer membranes, but the eukaryotic SAM complex is distinguished by two peripheral subunits, Sam37 and Sam35, that sit on the cytosolic face of the complex...
- Stojanovski D, Guiard B, Kozjak Pavlovic V, Pfanner N, Meisinger C. Alternative function for the mitochondrial SAM complex in biogenesis of alpha-helical TOM proteins. J Cell Biol. 2007;179:881-93 pubmed..Thus, the substrate specificity of SAM is not restricted to beta-barrel proteins but also includes the majority of alpha-helical Tom proteins. ..
- Milenkovic D, Kozjak V, Wiedemann N, Lohaus C, Meyer H, Guiard B, et al. Sam35 of the mitochondrial protein sorting and assembly machinery is a peripheral outer membrane protein essential for cell viability. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:22781-5 pubmed..Here we report the identification of Sam35, the first peripheral mitochondrial outer membrane protein that is essential for cell viability...
- Stroud D, Becker T, Qiu J, Stojanovski D, Pfannschmidt S, Wirth C, et al. Biogenesis of mitochondrial ?-barrel proteins: the POTRA domain is involved in precursor release from the SAM complex. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:2823-33 pubmed publisher..These results indicate the POTRA domain of Sam50 is not essential for recognition of ?-barrel precursors but functions in a subsequent step to promote the release of precursor proteins from the SAM complex. ..
- Bohnert M, Wenz L, Zerbes R, Horvath S, Stroud D, von der Malsburg K, et al. Role of mitochondrial inner membrane organizing system in protein biogenesis of the mitochondrial outer membrane. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:3948-56 pubmed publisher..We conclude that MINOS interacts with TOM and SAM independently and that the core subunit mitofilin is involved in biogenesis of outer membrane ?-barrel proteins. ..
- Wenz L, Ellenrieder L, Qiu J, Bohnert M, Zufall N, van der Laan M, et al. Sam37 is crucial for formation of the mitochondrial TOM-SAM supercomplex, thereby promoting Î²-barrel biogenesis. J Cell Biol. 2015;210:1047-54 pubmed publisher..The SAM core complex contains the channel protein Sam50, which cooperates with Sam35 in precursor recognition, and the peripheral membrane protein Sam37...