Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: RTS1
Description: protein phosphatase 2A regulatory subunit RTS1
Alias: SCS1, protein phosphatase 2A regulatory subunit RTS1
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Liu Z, Thornton J, Spirek M, Butow R. Activation of the SPS amino acid-sensing pathway in Saccharomyces cerevisiae correlates with the phosphorylation state of a sensor component, Ptr3. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:551-63 pubmed..Our findings reveal that CKI and PP2A phosphatase play antagonistic roles in SPS sensing by regulating Ptr3 phosphorylation. ..
- Gentry M, Hallberg R. Localization of Saccharomyces cerevisiae protein phosphatase 2A subunits throughout mitotic cell cycle. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:3477-92 pubmed..Although Rts1p and Tpd3p required heterotrimer formation to achieve normal localization, Cdc55p achieved its normal localization in the absence of either an A or C subunit. ..
- Castermans D, Somers I, Kriel J, Louwet W, Wera S, Versele M, et al. Glucose-induced posttranslational activation of protein phosphatases PP2A and PP1 in yeast. Cell Res. 2012;22:1058-77 pubmed publisher..Glucose activation of PP2A is controlled by regulatory subunits Rts1, Cdc55, Rrd1 and Rrd2...
- Bertazzi D, Kurtulmus B, Pereira G. The cortical protein Lte1 promotes mitotic exit by inhibiting the spindle position checkpoint kinase Kin4. J Cell Biol. 2011;193:1033-48 pubmed publisher..This Lte1-mediated exclusion of Kin4 from the dSPB is essential for proper mitotic exit of cells with a correctly aligned spindle. Therefore, Lte1 promotes mitotic exit by inhibiting Kin4 activity at the dSPB. ..
- Shu Y, Yang H, Hallberg E, Hallberg R. Molecular genetic analysis of Rts1p, a B' regulatory subunit of Saccharomyces cerevisiae protein phosphatase 2A. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:3242-53 pubmedThe Saccharomyces cerevisiae gene RTS1 encodes a protein homologous to a variable B-type regulatory subunit of the mammalian heterotrimeric serine/threonine protein phosphatase 2A (PP2A)...
- Artiles K, Anastasia S, McCusker D, Kellogg D. The Rts1 regulatory subunit of protein phosphatase 2A is required for control of G1 cyclin transcription and nutrient modulation of cell size. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000727 pubmed publisher..Here, we report that Rts1, a highly conserved regulatory subunit of protein phosphatase 2A (PP2A), is required for normal control of G1 ..
- Chan L, Amon A. The protein phosphatase 2A functions in the spindle position checkpoint by regulating the checkpoint kinase Kin4. Genes Dev. 2009;23:1639-49 pubmed publisher..Here, we identify the protein phosphatase 2A (PP2A) in complex with the regulatory subunit Rts1 as a component of the SPOC. Loss of PP2A-Rts1 function abrogates the SPOC but not other mitotic checkpoints...
- Clift D, Bizzari F, Marston A. Shugoshin prevents cohesin cleavage by PP2A(Cdc55)-dependent inhibition of separase. Genes Dev. 2009;23:766-80 pubmed publisher..We propose that Cdc55 is a separase inhibitor that acts downstream from Shugoshin under conditions where sister chromatids are not under tension. ..
- Wei H, Ashby D, Moreno C, Ogris E, Yeong F, Corbett A, et al. Carboxymethylation of the PP2A catalytic subunit in Saccharomyces cerevisiae is required for efficient interaction with the B-type subunits Cdc55p and Rts1p. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:1570-7 pubmed..Taken together, our results indicate that methylation and phosphorylation may be mechanisms by which the cell dynamically regulates PP2A complex formation and function. ..
- James A, Cocheme H, Murai M, Miyoshi H, Murphy M. Complementation of coenzyme Q-deficient yeast by coenzyme Q analogues requires the isoprenoid side chain. FEBS J. 2010;277:2067-82 pubmed publisher..Here we suggest that CoQ or its redox state may be a signal for growth during the shift to respiration. ..
- Eshleman H, Morgan D. Sgo1 recruits PP2A to chromosomes to ensure sister chromatid bi-orientation during mitosis. J Cell Sci. 2014;127:4974-83 pubmed publisher..Additionally, we find that Sgo1 recruits the protein phosphatase 2A (PP2A) isoform containing Rts1 to the pericentromeric region prior to bi-orientation, and that artificial recruitment of Rts1 to this region of a ..
- Zhang W, Durocher D. De novo telomere formation is suppressed by the Mec1-dependent inhibition of Cdc13 accumulation at DNA breaks. Genes Dev. 2010;24:502-15 pubmed publisher..These studies therefore identify a mechanism by which the ATR family of kinases enforces genome integrity, and a process that underscores the contribution of Cdc13 to the fate of DNA ends. ..
- Bizzari F, Marston A. Cdc55 coordinates spindle assembly and chromosome disjunction during meiosis. J Cell Biol. 2011;193:1213-28 pubmed publisher..loss of linkages between chromosomes with nuclear division by restraining two other phosphatases, Cdc14 and PP2A(Rts1)...
- Zapata J, Dephoure N, Macdonough T, Yu Y, Parnell E, Mooring M, et al. PP2ARts1 is a master regulator of pathways that control cell size. J Cell Biol. 2014;204:359-76 pubmed publisher..The mechanisms by which these checkpoints work are largely unknown. PP2A associated with the Rts1 regulatory subunit (PP2A(Rts1)) is required for cell size control in budding yeast, but the relevant targets are ..
- Reijo R, Cho D, Huffaker T. Deletion of a single-copy tRNA affects microtubule function in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 1993;135:955-62 pubmedb>rts1-1 was identified as an extragenic suppressor of tub2-104, a cold-sensitive allele of the sole gene encoding beta-tubulin in the yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae...
- Merlini L, Fraschini R, Boettcher B, Barral Y, Lucchini G, Piatti S. Budding yeast dma proteins control septin dynamics and the spindle position checkpoint by promoting the recruitment of the Elm1 kinase to the bud neck. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002670 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our data indicate that septin dynamics and SPOC function are intimately linked and support the idea that integrity of the bud neck is crucial for SPOC signalling. ..
- Yeasmin A, Waliullah T, Kondo A, Kaneko A, Koike N, Ushimaru T. Orchestrated Action of PP2A Antagonizes Atg13 Phosphorylation and Promotes Autophagy after the Inactivation of TORC1. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0166636 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that two protein phosphatase 2A (PP2A) phosphatases, PP2A-Cdc55 and PP2A-Rts1, which are activated by inactivation of TORC1, are required for sufficient Atg13 dephosphorylation and autophagy ..
- Kennedy E, Dysart M, Lianga N, Williams E, Pilon S, DorÃ© C, et al. Redundant Regulation of Cdk1 Tyrosine Dephosphorylation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2016;202:903-10 pubmed publisher..Using a novel in vivo phosphatase assay, we also show that PP2A bound to Rts1, the budding yeast B56-regulatory subunit, regulates dephosphorylation of Cdk1 independently of a function ..
- Parnell E, Yu Y, Lucena R, Yoon Y, Bai L, Kellogg D, et al. The Rts1 regulatory subunit of PP2A phosphatase controls expression of the HO endonuclease via localization of the Ace2 transcription factor. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:35431-7 pubmed publisherThe RTS1 gene encodes a subunit of the PP2A phosphatase that regulates cell cycle progression...
- van de Pasch L, Miles A, Nijenhuis W, Brabers N, van Leenen D, Lijnzaad P, et al. Centromere binding and a conserved role in chromosome stability for SUMO-dependent ubiquitin ligases. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e65628 pubmed publisher..This is associated with accumulation of the PP2A regulatory subunit Rts1 at centromeres prior to entry into anaphase...
- Omnus D, Ljungdahl P. Rts1-protein phosphatase 2A antagonizes Ptr3-mediated activation of the signaling protease Ssy5 by casein kinase I. Mol Biol Cell. 2013;24:1480-92 pubmed publisher..Here we show that Rts1, a regulatory subunit of the general protein phosphatase 2A, and Ptr3 have opposing roles in controlling Ssy5 ..
- Tate J, Georis I, Dubois E, Cooper T. Distinct phosphatase requirements and GATA factor responses to nitrogen catabolite repression and rapamycin treatment in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:17880-95 pubmed publisher..We previously demonstrated that the Sit4 and Pph21/22-Tpd3-Cdc55/Rts1 requirements for nuclear Gln3 localization differ...
- Garipler G, Mutlu N, Lack N, Dunn C. Deletion of conserved protein phosphatases reverses defects associated with mitochondrial DNA damage in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:1473-8 pubmed publisher..Our work highlights the important role that nutrient-responsive signaling pathways can play in determining the response to mitochondrial dysfunction. ..
- Suzuki T, Yokoyama A, Tsuji T, Ikeshima E, Nakashima K, Ikushima S, et al. Identification and characterization of genes involved in glutathione production in yeast. J Biosci Bioeng. 2011;112:107-13 pubmed publisher..2-fold higher levels of intracellular glutathione: chc1, cst6, ddc1, def1, pep12, rts1, ubp6, and yih1...
- Georis I, Tate J, Feller A, Cooper T, Dubois E. Intranuclear function for protein phosphatase 2A: Pph21 and Pph22 are required for rapamycin-induced GATA factor binding to the DAL5 promoter in yeast. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:92-104 pubmed publisher..of a catalytic subunit (Pph21 or Pph22), a scaffold subunit (Tpd3), and one of two regulatory subunits (Cdc55 or Rts1), has been repeatedly shown to play important roles in cytoplasmically localized signal transduction activities...
- Qiu W, Neo S, Yu X, Cai M. A novel septin-associated protein, Syp1p, is required for normal cell cycle-dependent septin cytoskeleton dynamics in yeast. Genetics. 2008;180:1445-57 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Syp1p is involved in the regulation of cell cycle-dependent dynamics of the septin cytoskeleton in yeast. ..
- Petty E, Lafon A, Tomlinson S, Mendelsohn B, Pillus L. Promotion of Cell Viability and Histone Gene Expression by the Acetyltransferase Gcn5 and the Protein Phosphatase PP2A in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2016;203:1693-707 pubmed publisher..We find that RTS1, one of two genes encoding PP2A regulatory subunits, is a robust and specific high-copy suppressor of temperature ..
- Jin F, Bokros M, Wang Y. Premature Silencing of the Spindle Assembly Checkpoint Is Prevented by the Bub1-H2A-Sgo1-PP2A Axis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2017;205:1169-1178 pubmed publisher..Previous data indicate that Sgo1 protein binds to PP2ARts1, and we found that rts1Î” mutants exhibited premature SAC silencing as well...
- Imazu H, Sakurai H. Saccharomyces cerevisiae heat shock transcription factor regulates cell wall remodeling in response to heat shock. Eukaryot Cell. 2005;4:1050-6 pubmed..Several of the other suppressors were found to encode proteins functioning in cell wall organization. These results suggest that Hsf1 in concert with Pkc1 regulates cell wall remodeling in response to heat shock. ..
- Cassani C, Raspelli E, Chiroli E, Fraschini R. Vhs2 is a novel regulator of septin dynamics in budding yeast. Cell Cycle. 2014;13:1590-601 pubmed publisher..These results reveal that Vhs2 is a novel Cdc14 substrate that is involved in the control of septin organization. ..
- Peplowska K, Wallek A, Storchova Z. Sgo1 regulates both condensin and Ipl1/Aurora B to promote chromosome biorientation. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004411 pubmed publisher..we identify a novel function of shugoshin (Sgo1 in budding yeast) that together with the protein phosphatase PP2A-Rts1 ensures localization of condensin to the centromeric chromatin in yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae...