Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: RPS3
Description: ribosomal 40S subunit protein S3
Alias: SUF14, ribosomal 40S subunit protein S3
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Merwin J, Bogar L, Poggi S, Fitch R, Johnson A, Lycan D. Genetic analysis of the ribosome biogenesis factor Ltv1 of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2014;198:1071-85 pubmed publisher..an Ltv1 lacking its NES (Ltv1âˆ†C13) was strongly dominant negative and resulted in the nuclear accumulation of RpS3-GFP; however, export of the pre-40S was not affected...
- Schmidt C, Kowalinski E, Shanmuganathan V, Defenouillère Q, Braunger K, Heuer A, et al. The cryo-EM structure of a ribosome-Ski2-Ski3-Ski8 helicase complex. Science. 2016;354:1431-1433 pubmed..We observe that the mRNA 3' overhang is threaded directly from the small ribosomal subunit to the helicase channel of Ski2, primed for ongoing exosome-mediated 3'-5' degradation. ..
- Otaka E, Higo K, Itoh T. Yeast ribosomal proteins. VIII. Isolation of two proteins and sequence characterization of twenty-four proteins from cytoplasmic ribosomes. Mol Gen Genet. 1984;195:544-6 pubmed..Comparison of the amino-terminal sequences with all other ribosomal protein sequences so far available indicates that YS9 shows sequence homology to rat liver ribosomal protein S8 (Wittmann-Liebold et al. 1979). ..
- Halbeisen R, Scherrer T, Gerber A. Affinity purification of ribosomes to access the translatome. Methods. 2009;48:306-10 pubmed publisher..Finally, application of this method in other organisms provides a valuable tool to decipher cell-type specific gene expression patterns. ..
- Koch B, Mitterer V, Niederhauser J, Stanborough T, Murat G, Rechberger G, et al. Yar1 protects the ribosomal protein Rps3 from aggregation. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:21806-15 pubmed publisher..Here, we report that the ankyrin repeat protein Yar1 directly interacts with the small ribosomal subunit protein Rps3 and accompanies newly synthesized Rps3 from the cytoplasm into the nucleus where Rps3 is assembled into pre-..
- Seong K, Jung S, Kim H, Kim H, Jung Y, Choi S, et al. Yeast ribosomal protein S3 possesses a ?-lyase activity on damaged DNA. FEBS Lett. 2012;586:356-61 pubmed publisher..Mutation analysis of the yeast Rps3 protein including introduction of domain deletions and residue replacements identified the residues Asp154 and ..
- Becker T, Armache J, Jarasch A, Anger A, Villa E, Sieber H, et al. Structure of the no-go mRNA decay complex Dom34-Hbs1 bound to a stalled 80S ribosome. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2011;18:715-20 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data provide structural insights into how stalled mRNA is recognized on the ribosome and how the eRF complex can simultaneously recognize stop codons and catalyze peptide release. ..
- Ferretti M, Ghalei H, Ward E, Potts E, Karbstein K. Rps26 directs mRNA-specific translation by recognition of Kozak sequence elements. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2017;24:700-707 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the simultaneous gain-of-function and loss-of-function phenotypes from Rps26-deficient ribosomes can explain the pathogenesis of DBA. ..
- Schaper S, Fromont Racine M, Linder P, De la Cruz J, Namane A, Yaniv M. A yeast homolog of chromatin assembly factor 1 is involved in early ribosome assembly. Curr Biol. 2001;11:1885-90 pubmed..This action may resemble the mechanism by which CAF1 assembles histones H3/H4 onto newly replicated DNA. ..
- Yeh Y, Traut R, Lee J. Protein topography of the 40 S ribosomal subunit from Saccharomyces cerevisiae as shown by chemical cross-linking. J Biol Chem. 1986;261:14148-53 pubmed..Many proteins were detected in several cross-linked dimers. These proteins with multiple cross-links form foci for the construction of a schematic model of the spatial arrangement of proteins within the 40 S subunit. ..
- Young B, Weiss D, Zurita Lopez C, Webb K, Clarke S, McBride A. Identification of methylated proteins in the yeast small ribosomal subunit: a role for SPOUT methyltransferases in protein arginine methylation. Biochemistry. 2012;51:5091-104 pubmed publisherWe have characterized the posttranslational methylation of Rps2, Rps3, and Rps27a, three small ribosomal subunit proteins in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae, using mass spectrometry and amino acid analysis...
- Neumann B, Wu H, Hackmann A, Krebber H. Nuclear Export of Pre-Ribosomal Subunits Requires Dbp5, but Not as an RNA-Helicase as for mRNA Export. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0149571 pubmed publisher..Thus, our findings reveal that although different ribonucleoparticles, mRNAs and pre-ribosomal subunits, use shared export factors, they utilize different transport mechanisms. ..
- Polevoda B, Brown S, Cardillo T, Rigby S, Sherman F. Yeast N(alpha)-terminal acetyltransferases are associated with ribosomes. J Cell Biochem. 2008;103:492-508 pubmed..Moreover, Ard1p copurifies with Rpl35p-TAP. We suggest that these two ribosomal proteins, which are in close proximity to the ribosomal exit tunnel, may play a role in NatA attachment to the ribosome. ..
- Higo K, Otaka E. Isolation and characterization of fourteen ribosomal proteins from small subunits of yeast. Biochemistry. 1979;18:4191-6 pubmed..The isolated proteins are YP 6, YP 7, YP 9, YP 12, YP 14', YP 14'', YP 28, YP 38, YP 45, YP 50, YP 52, YP 58, YP 63, and YP 70. The molecular weight and amino acid compositions of these proteins are presented. ..
- Felberbaum R, Wilson N, Cheng D, Peng J, Hochstrasser M. Desumoylation of the endoplasmic reticulum membrane VAP family protein Scs2 by Ulp1 and SUMO regulation of the inositol synthesis pathway. Mol Cell Biol. 2012;32:64-75 pubmed publisher..These results provide the first evidence of cross-regulation between the SUMO and inositol pathways, including the sumoylation of an ER membrane protein central to phospholipid synthesis and phosphoinositide signaling...
- Peng W, Krogan N, Richards D, Greenblatt J, Hughes T. ESF1 is required for 18S rRNA synthesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Nucleic Acids Res. 2004;32:1993-9 pubmed..These data indicate that Esf1p plays a direct role in early pre-rRNA processing. ..
- Kershaw C, Costello J, Castelli L, Talavera D, Rowe W, Sims P, et al. The yeast La related protein Slf1p is a key activator of translation during the oxidative stress response. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1004903 pubmed publisher..Together, our results indicate that Slf1p mediates a translational response to oxidative stress via mRNA-specific translational control. ..
- Peña C, Schütz S, Fischer U, Chang Y, Panse V. Prefabrication of a ribosomal protein subcomplex essential for eukaryotic ribosome formation. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..Thus, prefabrication of a native-like r-protein subcomplex drives efficient and accurate construction of the eukaryotic ribosome. ..
- Lee R, Brunette S, Puente L, Megeney L. Metacaspase Yca1 is required for clearance of insoluble protein aggregates. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:13348-53 pubmed publisher..Together, our results show that Yca1 contributes to the fitness and adaptability of growing yeast through an aggregate remodeling activity. ..
- Tudisca V, Simpson C, Castelli L, Lui J, Hoyle N, Moreno S, et al. PKA isoforms coordinate mRNA fate during nutrient starvation. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:5221-32 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that Tpk2 and Tpk3 are associated with translation initiation factors Pab1 and Rps3 in exponentially growing cells...
- Drummond S, Hildyard J, Firczuk H, Reamtong O, Li N, Kannambath S, et al. Diauxic shift-dependent relocalization of decapping activators Dhh1 and Pat1 to polysomal complexes. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:7764-74 pubmed publisher..This reveals a new dimension to the relationship between translation activity and interactions between mRNA, the translation machinery and decapping activator proteins. ..
- CuchalovÃ¡ L, Kouba T, HerrmannovÃ¡ A, DÃ¡nyi I, Chiu W, ValÃ¡sek L. The RNA recognition motif of eukaryotic translation initiation factor 3g (eIF3g) is required for resumption of scanning of posttermination ribosomes for reinitiation on GCN4 and together with eIF3i stimulates linear scanning. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:4671-86 pubmed publisher..reduces processivity of scanning through stable secondary structures, and g/Tif35 specifically interacts with Rps3 and Rps20 located near the ribosomal mRNA entry channel...
- Schäfer T, Maco B, Petfalski E, Tollervey D, Bottcher B, Aebi U, et al. Hrr25-dependent phosphorylation state regulates organization of the pre-40S subunit. Nature. 2006;441:651-5 pubmed..step of the yeast pre-40S subunit that is regulated by the protein kinase Hrr25 and involves ribosomal protein Rps3. A high salt concentration releases Rps3 from isolated pre-40S particles but not from mature 40S subunits...
- Gromadka R, Karkusiewicz I, Rempoła B, Rytka J. Functional and physical interactions of Krr1p, a Saccharomyces cerevisiae nucleolar protein. Acta Biochim Pol. 2004;51:173-87 pubmed..Thus, Krr1p and the genes encoding ribosomal proteins it interacts with seem to be coordinately regulated at the level of transcription. ..
- Mitterer V, Murat G, RÃ©ty S, Blaud M, Delbos L, Stanborough T, et al. Sequential domain assembly of ribosomal protein S3 drives 40S subunit maturation. Nat Commun. 2016;7:10336 pubmed publisher..Such a stepwise assembly may represent a new paradigm for the incorporation of ribosomal proteins. ..
- Joo Y, Kim J, Baek J, Seong K, Lee J, Kim J. Determination of the core promoter regions of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae RPS3 gene. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1789:741-50 pubmed publisher..In this study, we investigated the functional architecture of the yeast RPS3 promoter and identified many putative cis-elements...
- Limoncelli K, Merrikh C, Moore M. ASC1 and RPS3: new actors in 18S nonfunctional rRNA decay. RNA. 2017;23:1946-1960 pubmed publisher..We combine these findings with the effects of mutations in the 5' â†’ 3' and 3' â†’ 5' decay machinery to propose a model wherein multiple targeting and decay pathways kinetically contribute to 18S NRD. ..