Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: RPO41
Description: DNA-directed RNA polymerase
Alias: DNA-directed RNA polymerase
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Deshpande A, Patel S. Interactions of the yeast mitochondrial RNA polymerase with the +1 and +2 promoter bases dictate transcription initiation efficiency. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:11721-32 pubmed publisher..initiation sequence, which dictates the efficiency of transcription initiation by the mitochondrial RNA polymerase Rpo41 and its initiation factor Mtf1...
- Chen X, Wang X, Kaufman B, Butow R. Aconitase couples metabolic regulation to mitochondrial DNA maintenance. Science. 2005;307:714-7 pubmed..When constitutively expressed, Aco1p can replace the mtDNA packaging function of the high-mobility-group protein Abf2p. Thus, Aco1p may integrate metabolic signals and mtDNA maintenance. ..
- Gowda N, Kandasamy G, Froehlich M, Dohmen R, Andréasson C. Hsp70 nucleotide exchange factor Fes1 is essential for ubiquitin-dependent degradation of misfolded cytosolic proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:5975-80 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal that Hsp70 direct proteins toward either folding or degradation by using distinct nucleotide exchange factors. ..
- Markov D, Savkina M, Anikin M, Del Campo M, Ecker K, Lambowitz A, et al. Identification of proteins associated with the yeast mitochondrial RNA polymerase by tandem affinity purification. Yeast. 2009;26:423-40 pubmed publisher..Further, we found that Mss116p inhibits transcription by mtRNAP in vitro in a steady-state reaction. Our results support the hypothesis that Mss116p and Pet127p are involved in modulation of mtRNAP activity. ..
- Cliften P, Park J, Davis B, Jang S, Jaehning J. Identification of three regions essential for interaction between a sigma-like factor and core RNA polymerase. Genes Dev. 1997;11:2897-909 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that interactions between sigma-like specificity factors and core RNA polymerases require multiple regions from both components of the holoenzymes. ..
- Riemen G, Michaelis G. A point mutation in the core subunit gene of yeast mitochondrial RNA polymerase is suppressed by a high level of specificity factor MTF1. Mol Gen Genet. 1993;237:49-57 pubmed..The mutation has previously been shown to map in the RPO41 gene encoding the core enzyme of mitochondrial RNA polymerase...
- Bröhl S, Lisowsky T, Riemen G, Michaelis G. A new nuclear suppressor system for a mitochondrial RNA polymerase mutant identifies an unusual zinc-finger protein and a polyglutamine domain protein in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Yeast. 1994;10:719-31 pubmed..Additional transformation experiments showed that AZF1 is also an efficient suppressor for the original defect in the core subunit of mitochondrial RNA polymerase. ..
- Markov D, Wojtas I, Tessitore K, Henderson S, McAllister W. Yeast DEAD box protein Mss116p is a transcription elongation factor that modulates the activity of mitochondrial RNA polymerase. Mol Cell Biol. 2014;34:2360-9 pubmed publisher..a transcription factor that modulates the activity of the single-subunit mitochondrial RNA polymerase encoded by RPO41. Binding of Mss116p stabilizes paused mitochondrial RNA polymerase elongation complexes in vitro and favors the ..
- Sánchez Sandoval E, Diaz Quezada C, Velazquez G, Arroyo Navarro L, Almanza Martinez N, TrasviÃ±a Arenas C, et al. Yeast mitochondrial RNA polymerase primes mitochondrial DNA polymerase at origins of replication and promoter sequences. Mitochondrion. 2015;24:22-31 pubmed publisher..from the T7 replisome localize to yeast mitochondria: DNA polymerase Î³ (Mip1), mitochondrial RNA polymerase (Rpo41), and a single-stranded binding protein (Rim1)...
- Velazquez G, Sousa R, Brieba L. The thumb subdomain of yeast mitochondrial RNA polymerase is involved in processivity, transcript fidelity and mitochondrial transcription factor binding. RNA Biol. 2015;12:514-24 pubmed publisher..Herein we characterized the role of the thumb subdomain of the yeast mtRNA polymerase gene (RPO41) in complex stability, processivity, and fidelity...
- Kelly J, Greenleaf A, Lehman I. Isolation of the nuclear gene encoding a subunit of the yeast mitochondrial RNA polymerase. J Biol Chem. 1986;261:10348-51 pubmed..A 4-kilobase pair yeast DNA fragment inserted into one of the recombinant bacteriophages appears to contain most or all of the gene that encodes the 145,000-dalton subunit. ..
- Cliften P, Jang S, Jaehning J. Identifying a core RNA polymerase surface critical for interactions with a sigma-like specificity factor. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:7013-23 pubmed
- Greenleaf A, Kelly J, Lehman I. Yeast RPO41 gene product is required for transcription and maintenance of the mitochondrial genome. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1986;83:3391-4 pubmed..The RPO41 gene is located on chromosome VI, as determined by hybridization to electrophoretically separated yeast ..
- Kruszewski J, Golik P. Pentatricopeptide Motifs in the N-Terminal Extension Domain of Yeast Mitochondrial RNA Polymerase Rpo41p Are Not Essential for Its Function. Biochemistry (Mosc). 2016;81:1101-1110 pubmed..RNA polymerase is a single-subunit enzyme that in yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae is encoded by the nuclear RPO41 gene...
- Ramachandran A, Nandakumar D, Deshpande A, Lucas T, R Bhojappa R, Tang G, et al. The Yeast Mitochondrial RNA Polymerase and Transcription Factor Complex Catalyzes Efficient Priming of DNA Synthesis on Single-stranded DNA. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:16828-39 pubmed publisher..Herein, we show that the Saccharomyces cerevisiae mitochondrial RNA polymerase (Rpo41) and its transcription factor (Mtf1) is an efficient primase that initiates DNA synthesis on ssDNA coated with the ..
- Yang X, Chang H, Yin Y. Yeast Mitochondrial Transcription Factor Mtf1 Determines the Precision of Promoter-Directed Initiation of RNA Polymerase Rpo41. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0136879 pubmed publisher..We studied a series of N-terminal deletion mutants of yeast mitochondrial RNA polymerase, Rpo41, and have found that the N-terminal region does not abolish the effects of Mtf1; rather it contributes directly to ..
- Sedman T, GaidutÅ¡ik I, Villemson K, Hou Y, Sedman J. Double-stranded DNA-dependent ATPase Irc3p is directly involved in mitochondrial genome maintenance. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:13214-27 pubmed publisher..irc3Î”-related topology changes in rho- mtDNA can be reversed by the deletion of mitochondrial RNA polymerase RPO41, suggesting that Irc3p counterbalances adverse effects of transcription on mitochondrial genome stability.
- Bonawitz N, Chatenay Lapointe M, Wearn C, Shadel G. Expression of the rDNA-encoded mitochondrial protein Tar1p is stringently controlled and responds differentially to mitochondrial respiratory demand and dysfunction. Curr Genet. 2008;54:83-94 pubmed publisher..25S rRNA gene, localizes to mitochondria, and partially suppresses the mitochondrial RNA polymerase mutant, rpo41-R129D. However, the function of Tar1p in mitochondria and how its expression is regulated are currently unknown...
- Bonawitz N, Rodeheffer M, Shadel G. Defective mitochondrial gene expression results in reactive oxygen species-mediated inhibition of respiration and reduction of yeast life span. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:4818-29 pubmed..The most severe of these (harboring the rpo41-R129D mutation) displays imbalanced mitochondrial translation, conditional inactivation of respiration, elevated ..
- Rodeheffer M, Boone B, Bryan A, Shadel G. Nam1p, a protein involved in RNA processing and translation, is coupled to transcription through an interaction with yeast mitochondrial RNA polymerase. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:8616-22 pubmed..These results implicate the amino-terminal domain of mtRNA polymerases in coupling additional factors and activities involved in mitochondrial gene expression directly to the transcription machinery. ..