Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: RPN6
Description: proteasome regulatory particle lid subunit RPN6
Alias: NAS4, proteasome regulatory particle lid subunit RPN6
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Isono E, Saito N, Kamata N, Saeki Y, Toh e A. Functional analysis of Rpn6p, a lid component of the 26 S proteasome, using temperature-sensitive rpn6 mutants of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:6537-47 pubmedRpn6p is a component of the lid of the 26 S proteasome. We isolated and analyzed two temperature-sensitive rpn6 mutants in the yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Both mutants showed defects in protein degradation in vivo...
- Tomko R, Hochstrasser M. The intrinsically disordered Sem1 protein functions as a molecular tether during proteasome lid biogenesis. Mol Cell. 2014;53:433-43 pubmed publisher..Thus, although Sem1 is a stoichiometric component of the mature proteasome, it has a distinct, chaperone-like function specific to early stages of proteasome assembly. ..
- Elsasser S, Gali R, Schwickart M, Larsen C, Leggett D, Müller B, et al. Proteasome subunit Rpn1 binds ubiquitin-like protein domains. Nat Cell Biol. 2002;4:725-30 pubmed
- Peters L, Karmon O, David Kadoch G, Hazan R, Yu T, Glickman M, et al. The protein quality control machinery regulates its misassembled proteasome subunits. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005178 pubmed publisher..Thus, we show that proteasome homeostasis is controlled through probing the level of proteasome assembly, and the interplay between UPS mediated degradation or their sorting into distinct cellular compartments. ..
- Taverner T, Hernandez H, Sharon M, Ruotolo B, Matak Vinkovic D, Devos D, et al. Subunit architecture of intact protein complexes from mass spectrometry and homology modeling. Acc Chem Res. 2008;41:617-27 pubmed publisher..Overall therefore this mass spectrometry and homology modeling approach has given significant insight into the structure of two previously intractable protein complexes and as such has broad application in structural biology. ..
- Luan B, Huang X, Wu J, Mei Z, Wang Y, Xue X, et al. Structure of an endogenous yeast 26S proteasome reveals two major conformational states. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:2642-7 pubmed publisher..Structure-guided biochemical analysis reveals enhanced deubiquitylating enzyme activity of Rpn11 upon assembly of the lid. Our structures serve as a molecular basis for mechanistic understanding of proteasome function. ..
- Ha S, Ju D, Xie Y. The N-terminal domain of Rpn4 serves as a portable ubiquitin-independent degron and is recognized by specific 19S RP subunits. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;419:226-31 pubmed publisher..This is the first time that specific 19S RP subunits have been identified interacting with a Ub-independent degron. This study provides insight into the mechanism by which Ub-independent substrates are recruited to the 26S proteasome. ..
- Tomko R, Taylor D, Chen Z, Wang H, Rappsilber J, Hochstrasser M. A Single Î± Helix Drives Extensive Remodeling of the Proteasome Lid and Completion of Regulatory Particle Assembly. Cell. 2015;163:432-44 pubmed publisher..Such assembly-coupled conformational switching is reminiscent of viral particle maturation and may represent a commonly used mechanism to enforce hierarchical assembly in multisubunit complexes. ..
- Saeki Y, Toh e A, Yokosawa H. Rapid isolation and characterization of the yeast proteasome regulatory complex. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2000;273:509-15 pubmed..In contrast with the previously reported result showing that Rpn10, a multiubiquitin chain binding subunit, is a component of the base complex, we present evidence that the lid complex isolated from wild-type yeast contains Rpn10. ..
- Dodgson S, Santaguida S, Kim S, Sheltzer J, Amon A. The pleiotropic deubiquitinase Ubp3 confers aneuploidy tolerance. Genes Dev. 2016;30:2259-2271 pubmed..We propose that interfering with Ubp3/USP10 function could be a productive avenue in the development of novel cancer therapeutics. ..
- Le Tallec B, Barrault M, Guerois R, Carré T, Peyroche A. Hsm3/S5b participates in the assembly pathway of the 19S regulatory particle of the proteasome. Mol Cell. 2009;33:389-99 pubmed publisher..Finally, we identify the putative species-specific 19S subunit S5b as a functional homolog of the Hsm3 chaperone in mammals. These findings shed light on chaperone-assisted proteasome assembly in eukaryotes. ..
- Laporte D, Salin B, Daignan Fornier B, Sagot I. Reversible cytoplasmic localization of the proteasome in quiescent yeast cells. J Cell Biol. 2008;181:737-45 pubmed publisher..Finally, we observe conserved formation and mobilization of these PSGs in the evolutionary distant yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe. This conservation implies a broad significance for these proteasome reserves. ..
- Laribee R, Shibata Y, Mersman D, Collins S, Kemmeren P, Roguev A, et al. CCR4/NOT complex associates with the proteasome and regulates histone methylation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:5836-41 pubmed..These studies implicate CCR4/NOT in the regulation of H3K4me3 through a ubiquitin-dependent pathway that likely involves the proteasome. ..
- Saeki Y, Isono E, Toh e A. Preparation of ubiquitinated substrates by the PY motif-insertion method for monitoring 26S proteasome activity. Methods Enzymol. 2005;399:215-27 pubmed..In this communication, we describe that Sic1 was successfully ubiquitinated by the PY motif-insertion method and demonstrate that Sic1 thus ubiquitinated was degraded by the purified yeast 26S proteasome. ..
- Santamaria P, Finley D, Ballesta J, Remacha M. Rpn6p, a proteasome subunit from Saccharomyces cerevisiae, is essential for the assembly and activity of the 26 S proteasome. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:6687-95 pubmedWe report the functional characterization of RPN6, an essential gene from Saccharomyces cerevisiae encoding the proteasomal subunit Rpn6p...
- Wrobel L, Topf U, Bragoszewski P, Wiese S, Sztolsztener M, Oeljeklaus S, et al. Mistargeted mitochondrial proteins activate a proteostatic response in the cytosol. Nature. 2015;524:485-8 pubmed publisher..UPRam provides a means for buffering the consequences of physiological slowdown in mitochondrial protein import and for counteracting pathologies that are caused or contributed by mitochondrial dysfunction. ..
- Ding Z, Fu Z, Xu C, Wang Y, Wang Y, Li J, et al. High-resolution cryo-EM structure of the proteasome in complex with ADP-AlFx. Cell Res. 2017;27:373-385 pubmed publisher..Our results provide new insights into the mechanisms of nucleotide-driven allosteric cooperativity of the complex and of the substrate processing by the proteasome. ..
- Yu Z, Livnat Levanon N, Kleifeld O, Mansour W, Nakasone M, Castaneda C, et al. Base-CP proteasome can serve as a platform for stepwise lid formation. Biosci Rep. 2015;35: pubmed publisher..Even within the lid, subunits have been demarcated into two modules: module 1 (Rpn5, Rpn6, Rpn8, Rpn9 and Rpn11), which interacts with both CP and base sub-complexes and module 2 (Rpn3, Rpn7, Rpn12 and ..
- Saeki Y, Toh e A, Kudo T, Kawamura H, Tanaka K. Multiple proteasome-interacting proteins assist the assembly of the yeast 19S regulatory particle. Cell. 2009;137:900-13 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the RP assembly is a highly organized and elaborate process orchestrated by multiple proteasome-dedicated chaperones. ..
- Sharon M, Taverner T, Ambroggio X, Deshaies R, Robinson C. Structural organization of the 19S proteasome lid: insights from MS of intact complexes. PLoS Biol. 2006;4:e267 pubmed..More generally, the results highlight the potential of mass spectrometry to add crucial insight into the structural organization of an endogenous, wild-type complex. ..